Zach Edey, 7-4

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Re: Zach Edey, 7-4 

Post#541 » by JMAC3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 pm

Purdue does the same stuff every year. They get 1 big dude who is bigger than everyone else and they just force feed them the ball.

Edey, Trevion Williams, Isaac Haas, Caleb Swannigan, AJ Hammons.

Literally none of them have done anything in the NBA, after all being very very good Big10 players.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#542 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Purdue does the same stuff every year. They get 1 big dude who is bigger than everyone else and they just force feed them the ball.

Literally none of them have done anything in the NBA, after all being very very good Big10 players.

Ohio State does the same stuff every year. they get a mobile quarterback, put him in an elite offensive system surrounded by weapons that college defenses can't compete with, and they always put up monster numbers.

Literally none of them have done anything in the NFL after being elite Big10 QBs.

We could have had that exact conversation last year at this time prior to the NFL draft and look how that would have turned out.

the point is, a school's history of success - good or bad - is irrelevant. these are still individuals who are different that anybody who came before them. with unique skillsets, athleticism, physical attributes, attitudes, intellects, work ethics, etc.

if you don't like Edey as a prospect, that's fine. but whether he succeeds or fails has nothing to do with Isaac Haas or Matt Haarms lack of NBA success.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#543 » by The-Power » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Purdue does the same stuff every year. They get 1 big dude who is bigger than everyone else and they just force feed them the ball.

Yet none of them were anywhere near as good and dominant as Edey. Quality still matters.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#544 » by JMAC3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

The-Power wrote:

Yet none of them were anywhere near as good and dominant as Edey. Quality still matters.

I am not saying that is the only thing that matters, but definitely should be a factor. Painter is going to have his team feature a center no matter how good that player is. That is all I am saying.
Big Board
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,208

Post#545 » by FrodoBaggins » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

The Ringer has updated its mock draft. Edey is now 12th. ESPN (Givony + Woo) have Edey at 14th.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#546 » by JMAC3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

FrodoBaggins wrote:The Ringer has updated its mock draft. Edey is now 12th. ESPN (Givony + Woo) have Edey at 14th.

The Ringer changes their ranks overnight without rhyme or reason.

He has Castle #2 overall but going 8th in Mock
Sheppard fell from #1 to #9 in the latest mock.
Big Board
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect

Post#547 » by FrodoBaggins » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

It's always so odd to me when there are people so adamantly against a prospect. Like, passionately so. I understand if someone is excessive in their belief in a prospect, but the inverse is just bizarre to me.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#548 » by Big J » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
FrodoBaggins wrote:The Ringer has updated its mock draft. Edey is now 12th. ESPN (Givony + Woo) have Edey at 14th.

The reason is clicks. Same reason that Givony had Bronny at #10 earlier in the year.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,893

Post#549 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

Big J wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

The reason is clicks. Same reason that Givony had Bronny at #10 earlier in the year.

Yup. Every single mock draft you see from a major site is first and foremost a business operation trying to accumulate the most money. These are all profit-driven businesses where the goal isn't to get the most accurate mock draft--instead the goal is to generate the most amount of revenue.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,567

Post#550 » by azcatz11 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Big J wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Yup. Every single mock draft you see from a major site is first and foremost a business operation trying to accumulate the most money. These are all profit-driven businesses where the goal isn't to get the most accurate mock draft--instead the goal is to generate the most amount of revenue.

Is there a podcast you recommend? I can't stand KOC. The other guy is decent but there stuff is so basic. I do like Vecenie but I understand a lot of people here think he's a fraud also...
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#551 » by JMAC3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

FrodoBaggins wrote:It's always so odd to me when there are people so adamantly against a prospect. Like, passionately so. I understand if someone is excessive in their belief in a prospect, but the inverse is just bizarre to me.

So everyone should like everyone? No debates just a bunch of positive feedback on every prospect? Sounds super fun.

I have been asking several of the Edey supporters where he is on their board and have yet to get an answer other than from GoBobs who has said he is #1 on his board.

Still waiting to hear from Frodo, King Ken where he is at on the big board.
Big Board
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#552 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Big J wrote:

Is there a podcast you recommend? I can't stand KOC. The other guy is decent but there stuff is so basic. I do like Vecenie but I understand a lot of people here think he's a fraud also...

For Draft stuff? Nah, I felt like most of the draft podcasts were echo chambers.

I'm open to trying some new ones though.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#553 » by JMAC3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Big J wrote:

Kyle Mann is solid, but he used to do better work when he run the youtube channel The Dime Drop.
Now he basically just spams the chat with Kentucky player talk.
Big Board
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect

Post#554 » by FrodoBaggins » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
FrodoBaggins wrote:It's always so odd to me when there are people so adamantly against a prospect. Like, passionately so. I understand if someone is excessive in their belief in a prospect, but the inverse is just bizarre to me.

So everyone should like everyone? No debates just a bunch of positive feedback on every prospect? Sounds super fun.

I have been asking several of the Edey supporters where he is on their board and have yet to get an answer other than from GoBobs who has said he is #1 on his board.

You can do whatever you want; I'm just going to call out weird behavior when I see it. You seem more concerned with Edey not succeeding than actually discussing prospects you like in this draft. Which you can do, because you're an adult. It's just weird.

Personally, if I didn't like a prospect, I'd give my two cents and then show indifference. Because I'm more concerned with prospects I do rate.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#555 » by JMAC3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

FrodoBaggins wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

You can do whatever you want; I'm just going to call out weird behavior when I see it. You seem more concerned with Edey not succeeding than actually discussing prospects you like in this draft. Which you can do, because you're an adult. It's just weird.

Personally, if I didn't like a prospect, I'd give my two cents and then show indifference. Because I'm more concerned with prospects I do rate.

Do you like Edey? I have asked you multiple times where on your big board you have him and you haven't answered
Big Board
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#556 » by Big J » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm

Part of me wants Edey to get 30 minutes per game next year just to see how many times he gets posterized.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#557 » by The-Power » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 pm

I'm becoming more comfortable with the idea of Edey being a lottery pick. Not sure I'm quite there myself yet but I won't argue against someone who is at this point. It is as much about draft philosophy (in the context of this draft class) as it is about Edey himself. Any outcome except superstar would not surprise me – from very good starter to valuable role player to benchwarmer. But he'll most likely have to turn from a primary low-post big to someone primary playing off ball handlers unless he completely shatters the mold (which I don't think he can unless he makes a gigantic leap as a passer and add some range as well).
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#558 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 pm

The-Power wrote:I'm becoming more comfortable with the idea of Edey being a lottery pick. Not sure I'm quite there myself yet but I won't argue against someone who is at this point. It is as much about draft philosophy (in the context of this draft class) as it is about Edey himself. Any outcome except superstar would not surprise me – from very good starter to valuable role player to benchwarmer. But he'll most likely have to turn from a primary low-post big to someone primary playing off ball handlers unless he completely shatters the mold (which I don't think he can unless he makes a gigantic leap as a passer and add some range as well).

I'm not there yet but I understand the rationale behind it.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,504

Post#559 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 pm

Interesting that former NBA players are all saying the same thing. They said he won't be very effective on defense and lacks mobility to be a long-term impact player. They all said he will likely be a backup rotation center at best.

I already thought his, but seeing guys who actually play the game say the same just makes me more confident in my initial thoughts.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 816

Post#560 » by tester551 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Interesting that former NBA players are all saying the same thing.

What former players are you referring to here?

I always try and take what players say with a grain of salt. Although they have a unique perspective and experience, their evaluation capabilities are just like everyone else's.

Some are very knowledgeable and know their $#!^. Some don't know jack....

Return to NBA Draft