Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Re: Zach Edey, 7-4 

Post#561 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 pm

tester551 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Interesting that former NBA players are all saying the same thing.

What former players are you referring to here?

I always try and take what players say with a grain of salt. Although they have a unique perspective and experience, their evaluation capabilities are just like everyone else's.

Some are very knowledgeable and know their $#!^. Some don't know jack....
Tim Legler and Jay Williams both said the same thing I said.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,865

Post#562 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

The-Power wrote:I'm becoming more comfortable with the idea of Edey being a lottery pick. Not sure I'm quite there myself yet but I won't argue against someone who is at this point. It is as much about draft philosophy (in the context of this draft class) as it is about Edey himself. Any outcome except superstar would not surprise me – from very good starter to valuable role player to benchwarmer. But he'll most likely have to turn from a primary low-post big to someone primary playing off ball handlers unless he completely shatters the mold (which I don't think he can unless he makes a gigantic leap as a passer and add some range as well).

I think the whole appeal of Edey is that his 'legit star' likelihood is way higher than most of these dudes who I'd put at 0.0%.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#563 » by King Ken » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:49 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
The-Power wrote:I'm becoming more comfortable with the idea of Edey being a lottery pick. Not sure I'm quite there myself yet but I won't argue against someone who is at this point. It is as much about draft philosophy (in the context of this draft class) as it is about Edey himself. Any outcome except superstar would not surprise me – from very good starter to valuable role player to benchwarmer. But he'll most likely have to turn from a primary low-post big to someone primary playing off ball handlers unless he completely shatters the mold (which I don't think he can unless he makes a gigantic leap as a passer and add some range as well).

I think the whole appeal of Edey is that his 'legit star' likelihood is way higher than most of these dudes who I'd put at 0.0%.

It's much higher than some here think for sure. We haven't seen his package before. That said, it just depends on the team.

His offense will be critical for him, the better his offense is for some teams will mean more PT. At the end of the day, while he has a decent drop coverage defensive baseline with his paint and rim protection and his defensive rebounding and boxing out, that's not something every team wants to do and it might not be good enough to get him on the floor on some teams where every center is better than him defensively.

I think the situation is critical but if you asked 20 people, you may get 20 different answers. If you ask someone who doesn't like how he moves, he will say a team like the Knicks. If you ask someone who wants him to fill a lacking role, you may here, the Suns. To me, he's the highest floor in the class with Shannon Jr., Clingan, and Knecht also in the convo. At the end of the day, two are 5-year players, one is a normal SR and the other is a high-functioning young role player in Clingan.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#564 » by GoBobs » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 pm

I think he will emerge as a superstar no matter where he goes. He has intangibles that are going to get him on the court like size, endurance and rebounding ability. He has a great attitude, maturity and has shown ability to improve rapidly.

The best indicator of future success is past success.

The guy that went from nobody to a college superstar is a better bet than anyone else, certainly anyone else in this draft.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#565 » by King Ken » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 pm

GoBobs wrote:I think he will emerge as a superstar no matter where he goes. He has intangibles that are going to get him on the court like size, endurance and rebounding ability. He has a great attitude, maturity and has shown ability to improve rapidly.

The guy that went from nobody to a college superstar is a better bet than anyone else, certainly anyone else in this draft.

First poster willing to say he's a potential superstar no matter where he goes. Ballsy
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#566 » by GoBobs » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:15 pm

King Ken wrote:
GoBobs wrote:I think he will emerge as a superstar no matter where he goes. He has intangibles that are going to get him on the court like size, endurance and rebounding ability. He has a great attitude, maturity and has shown ability to improve rapidly.

First poster willing to say he's a potential superstar no matter where he goes. Ballsy

No, not potential, is going to be a superstar
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#567 » by ItsDanger » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:24 pm

Read on Twitter
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#568 » by damedash09 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:35 am

Big Zach makes it look to easy
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,208

Post#569 » by FrodoBaggins » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:38 am

Great game from Zach.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,554

Post#570 » by azcatz11 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:39 am

Lol he’s not humble at all. SGA backing him bc he’s a countryman but yeah…if anything he needs to be humbled
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Post#571 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:40 am

Dude is massive he can easily dominate a kids game.

Going against top tier athletes and more mobile bigs will be my concern. I can easily see teams playing him off the court just because he's not the fastest/mobile big.

People will bring up Jokic, but Jokic has actual skills ball handling, mid range, 3pt range, post game, vision. Edey doesn't have that type of skillset.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#572 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:45 am

FrodoBaggins wrote:Great game from Zach.

Iffy first half (although Edey-ball was effective overall with the 3s falling).

Zags frontcourt tapped out in second half though.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#573 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:46 am

My favorite play of that game was when he got smacked in the face.

But instead of milking it for a flagrant he just stared the guy down like the terminator lol.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,554

Post#574 » by azcatz11 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:50 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Dude is massive he can easily dominate a kids game.

Going against top tier athletes and more mobile bigs will be my concern. I can easily see teams playing him off the court just because he's not the fastest/mobile big.

People will bring up Jokic, but Jokic has actual skills ball handling, mid range, 3pt range, post game, vision. Edey doesn't have that type of skillset.

He’s being guarded by 6’8 dudes lol. Can’t wait til he busts
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#575 » by ItsDanger » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:57 am

Read on Twitter
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#576 » by The Moose » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:58 am

Edey Express and Purdue move on, next stop elite 8 :nod:
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,445

Post#577 » by Big J » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:00 am

He reminds me of the kid in 5th grade who got held back 2 years and went through puberty and now he’s dominating his class and thinks he’s the ****.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#578 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:02 am

azcatz11 wrote:

I feel like he's going to massacre the rangey 6'11" archetype.

Like look at some of the Ighodharo reps.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#579 » by GoBobs » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:11 am

azcatz11 wrote:

LMAO... Yall don't realize how big Edey is if you think he will run into anyone bigger than he is in the NBA. Most of the guys you think of as 7 footers are really like 6'10'' without shoes.

Andre Drummond, Miles Turner are some examples of guys who are in the 6'10" range without shoes.

Gobert one of the biggest guys in the league is 7'0.5'' without shoes.

Edey is 7'3.5'' without shoes. He is a big 7'4'' in shoes.

The difference in a 7 foot guy and a 7'4'' guy is the same as the difference between a 6'8'' guy and a 7' guy.

Edey has seen plenty of guys with size trying to guard him in college. Not one single person has been able to stop him. He leads the nation in scoring despite seeing double and triple teams every night. Every defense that plays Purdue is focused on stopping Edey. He gets everybody's best shot every time he laces them up.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#580 » by ItsDanger » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:13 am

TheSuzerain wrote:My favorite play of that game was when he got smacked in the face.

But instead of milking it for a flagrant he just stared the guy down like the terminator lol.

Read on Twitter

Return to NBA Draft