Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,553

Re: Zach Edey, 7-4 

Post#501 » by azcatz11 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:50 pm

King Ken wrote:
Big J wrote:
King Ken wrote:I already knew you weren't. Edey is time consuming and you have written him off so you don't want to spend a second doing what you think is a waste of time, right?

No, he’s not time consuming. His game is incredibly simple. I just don’t put 500-650 word scouting reports together for free.

If you can't do a 500-650 word scouting report together on a player, maybe you aren't as sound as you think on that said player.

I think he said he won't do it for free because he does professional work for some teams...so yeah, I don't blame him for not putting his work out there for free / public consumption
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,208

Post#502 » by FrodoBaggins » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:17 pm

Big J definitely has clients.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#503 » by King Ken » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:19 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
How many post up back to basket touches do you think his team gives him per game in the NBA?

Post ups- he will lead the league in post ups. 9-9.5 a game per36. Obviously, mpg will decide if he numerically leads the league. That just depends where he lands. On average, I am expecting 4-4.5 post-ups playing 18-20mpg as a rookie.

As long as he goes to a drop coverage leaning team, he will be a NBA ready backup right now for most teams. As long as he fits defensively.

Where he goes is everything. He could go to a team like Memphis and he's never more than a 20mpg player. Just depends where he goes. Some teams are A-okay with you playing a situational role

This is why your logic is flawed. The two best centers in the league are only getting 6 post ups per game, but you think a Rookie is going to get 50% more than the back to back MVPs?

Studs like Giannis, Wemby, Sengun, Zion aren't even averaging more than 1 PPP on post touches which is why nobody in the NBA does it.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/playtype-post-up?dir=D&sort=POSS

We're done here. Dudes you like just aren't worth talking to. The level of respect is nil and the arrogance is off the charts.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#504 » by King Ken » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:24 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Big J wrote:
No, he’s not time consuming. His game is incredibly simple. I just don’t put 500-650 word scouting reports together for free.

If you can't do a 500-650 word scouting report together on a player, maybe you aren't as sound as you think on that said player.

I think he said he won't do it for free because he does professional work for some teams...so yeah, I don't blame him for not putting his work out there for free / public consumption

Yep, he has clients. The typical I'm a professional scout on RealGM ya'll, you gotta pay me to get me to do anything. This site is becoming Boston Shaq in terms of quality. Arrogance at an all time high, ability at an all time low.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#505 » by King Ken » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:27 pm

FrodoBaggins wrote:Big J definitely has clients.

Big ones too. Who doesn't need Big J opinion. He's just another Drew Timme. Wow! Breathtaking. :eek1:

Please provide us more Big J
:rockon:

You gotta pay me for full, can't get no more free, Randy
:rock:
tester551
Analyst
And1: 816

Post#506 » by tester551 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:28 pm

Big J wrote:Can you Edey truthers explain how he’s better than Demarcus Cousins at this stage in time? Because Cousins is a better shooter and passer, yet he’s not even in the league anymore due to the same deficiencies that Edey has.

???
I don't see Edey or Cousins really being anything alike as players.
Also, I view Cousins is out of the league due to him not adjusting to being a role player and injuries. I don't see that issue with Edey (at least for a few years).
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#507 » by JMAC3 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:33 pm

King Ken wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
King Ken wrote:Post ups- he will lead the league in post ups. 9-9.5 a game per36. Obviously, mpg will decide if he numerically leads the league. That just depends where he lands. On average, I am expecting 4-4.5 post-ups playing 18-20mpg as a rookie.

As long as he goes to a drop coverage leaning team, he will be a NBA ready backup right now for most teams. As long as he fits defensively.

Where he goes is everything. He could go to a team like Memphis and he's never more than a 20mpg player. Just depends where he goes. Some teams are A-okay with you playing a situational role

This is why your logic is flawed. The two best centers in the league are only getting 6 post ups per game, but you think a Rookie is going to get 50% more than the back to back MVPs?

Studs like Giannis, Wemby, Sengun, Zion aren't even averaging more than 1 PPP on post touches which is why nobody in the NBA does it.

We're done here. Dudes you like just aren't worth talking to. The level of respect is nil and the arrogance is off the charts.

How is me posting links to actual data disrespectful?
Because it doesn't matchup with whatever scenarios you have in your head?
If you are saying Hawks are some great fit for Edey and you are also saying he is going to get 9 post touches then it doesn't make sense.
The Hawks aren't taking the ball out of Trae's hand to let some mid rookie throw up hook shots at worse PPP clip.

Please provide some sort of data to backup this claim, but no you think Edey deserves more post touches per game than any other player in the last decade of the NBA. You don't see how that is a huge outlier?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,445

Post#508 » by Big J » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:36 pm

King Ken wrote:

Big ones too. Who doesn't need Big J opinion. He's just another Drew Timme. Wow! Breathtaking. :eek1:

The only validation I need is from my wallet. You can either keep taking L’s, or you can learn something.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#509 » by King Ken » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:45 pm

Big J wrote:
King Ken wrote:

The only validation I need is from my wallet. You can either keep taking L’s, or you can learn something.

Big Baller Scout. I see you. Gotta get that money, can't be giving gold away for free, right
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#510 » by CptCrunch » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
How many post up back to basket touches do you think his team gives him per game in the NBA?

Post ups- he will lead the league in post ups. 9-9.5 a game per36. Obviously, mpg will decide if he numerically leads the league. That just depends where he lands. On average, I am expecting 4-4.5 post-ups playing 18-20mpg as a rookie.

There we have it only Embiid, Zingis, Siakam are scoring at above league average offensive efficiency among players with >2 post ups per game. The mean offensive efficiency is 1.147 today.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#511 » by King Ken » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:16 pm

CptCrunch wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
King Ken wrote:Post ups- he will lead the league in post ups. 9-9.5 a game per36. Obviously, mpg will decide if he numerically leads the league. That just depends where he lands. On average, I am expecting 4-4.5 post-ups playing 18-20mpg as a rookie.

There we have it only Embiid, Zingis, Siakam are scoring at above league average offensive efficiency among players with >2 post ups per game. The mean offensive efficiency is 1.147 today.

Ya'll gotta do better.
https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches?LastNGames=0&TeamID=0&dir=D&sort=POST_TOUCHES
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#512 » by GoBobs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:37 pm

Big J wrote:Can you Edey truthers explain how he’s better than Demarcus Cousins at this stage in time? Because Cousins is a better shooter and passer, yet he’s not even in the league anymore due to the same deficiencies that Edey has.

Well first off Cousins had like a 12 year career and made the all star team 4 years in a row so.... Edey doesn't have to be better than cousins to have a solid career. Also as mentioned by a previous poster, Cousins is mainly not in the league anymore as a result of injuries.

but, still.... lets compare

NBA combine athletic testing

Cousins:
lane agility - 11.40
3/4 court sprint - 3.55
standing vert 23.5
max vert 27.5

Edey:
lane agility - 11.37
3/4 court sprint - 3.45
standing vert 26
max vert 29.5

so Edey is slightly more mobile than Cousins was despite being heavier and jumps higher than Cousins despite being much taller.

In terms of the college stats it is hard to compare because Cousins just played one year as a freshman where he averaged 25 min and Edey's freshman year he only played 14 min per game.

But I will put both their Freshman season's on per 40 min just to give a comparison

Cousins 26 pts 17 reb 3 bks on .579 true shooting percentage

Edey 23 pts 12 reb 2.9 blk on .632 true shooting percentage

So one big difference is just in the efficiency department. Cousins was always sort of inefficient for a big man because he liked to mix in some mid range jumpers.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#513 » by JMAC3 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:42 pm

King Ken wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Ya'll gotta do better.
https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches?LastNGames=0&TeamID=0&dir=D&sort=POST_TOUCHES

You realize this has less post up touches for Embiid than initial link I shared? Not really sure this is proving your point like you think it is.

Embiid and Jokic are getting a high number of touches because they are threats to score from the 3 pt line, along with being much better passers than Edey. You can run dribble hand offs and free throw line touches for those guys and run split actions because of their passing. Edey is a non-threat outside of 10 feet, so teams are going to sag off him if you try to play him away from basket.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 79

Post#514 » by OriAr » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:57 pm

I mean, if Edey has a Cousins like career I think it'd be considered an excellent career and likely a draft steal so I don't see the point of this comparison.
People forgot how good Cousins was.
Big J
General Manager

Post#515 » by Big J » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:04 pm

OriAr wrote:

I mean, if Edey has a Cousins like career I think it'd be considered an excellent career and likely a draft steal so I don't see the point of this comparison.

Current form Cousins. My point is that current form Cousins is better than Edey. Lol @ thinking I was comparing him to prime Cousins.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#516 » by GoBobs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:06 pm

GoBobs wrote:

Well first off Cousins had like a 12 year career and made the all star team 4 years in a row so.... Edey doesn't have to be better than cousins to have a solid career. Also as mentioned by a previous poster, Cousins is mainly not in the league anymore as a result of injuries.

but, still.... lets compare

NBA combine athletic testing

Cousins:
lane agility - 11.40
3/4 court sprint - 3.55
standing vert 23.5
max vert 27.5

Edey:
lane agility - 11.37
3/4 court sprint - 3.45
standing vert 26
max vert 29.5

so Edey is slightly more mobile than Cousins was despite being heavier and jumps higher than Cousins despite being much taller.

In terms of the college stats it is hard to compare because Cousins just played one year as a freshman where he averaged 25 min and Edey's freshman year he only played 14 min per game.

But I will put both their Freshman season's on per 40 min just to give a comparison

Cousins 26 pts 17 reb 3 bks on .579 true shooting percentage

Edey 23 pts 12 reb 2.9 blk on .632 true shooting percentage

So one big difference is just in the efficiency department. Cousins was always sort of inefficient for a big man because he liked to mix in some mid range jumpers.

Then there is also all the between the ears stuff that is what really determines which prospects will succeed and fail.

Cousins had a reputation for being immature.

Edey is very mature in interviews, pretty much always says the kind of stuff you hope your star is gonna say. Watch any interview with him.

Cousins had a questionable motor at times and Edey plays with a really great motor for somebody his size. He is looking for someone to box out on every defensive rebound. He is always fighting for better position on offense, trying to seal his man.

Development trajectory also has to be considered. Edey's freshman year in college was his third year of organized basketball. He went from a nobody to a 2 time player of the year. He also elevated his program which has had two number 1 seeds the last two years. Everybody remembers him losing in the first round last year despite a solid stat line, but not many also remember that Purdue wasn't even picked to make the tournament at the beginning of his Jr season.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#517 » by GoBobs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:08 pm

Big J wrote:
OriAr wrote:

Current form Cousins. My point is that current form Cousins is better than Edey. Lol @ thinking I was comparing him to prime Cousins.

Current Cousins has one good leg and has been dragging the other around since 2019 so that makes even less sense lol
Big J
General Manager

Post#518 » by Big J » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:14 pm

GoBobs wrote:
Big J wrote:
OriAr wrote:I mean, if Edey has a Cousins like career I think it'd be considered an excellent career and likely a draft steal so I don't see the point of this comparison.

Current Cousins has one good leg and has been dragging the other around since 2019 so that makes even less sense lol

It actually does make sense, because he has similar mobility to Edey now.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#519 » by GoBobs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:16 pm

Big J wrote:
GoBobs wrote:
Big J wrote:

No actually, if you go look at the NBA combine athletic testing Edey has better mobility now than Cousins did the year he was drafted.
Big J
General Manager

Post#520 » by Big J » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:20 pm

GoBobs wrote:
Big J wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

No actually, if you go look at the NBA combine athletic testing Edey has better mobility now than Cousins did the year he was drafted.

Combine athletic numbers are meaningless. There is a difference between combine athleticism and functional athleticism. Anyone with eyes can see that Edey isn't on the level of pre injury Cousins athletically.

Return to NBA Draft