Zach Edey, 7-4

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,514

Re: Zach Edey, 7-4 

Post#1001 » by GoBobs » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:49 pm

azcatz11 wrote:There’s really nothing to explain or study. I’ve watched at least 20 Purdue games this past season. He has like 2 post moves and is just flat out bigger than anyone. I reference the first Wisconsin game when Wahl (who isn’t even that good) absolutely gave him the business. Scored like 25 points directly on him. I also think his touch is overrated and doesn’t compare with Boban. He falls a ton and doesn’t have super soft hands.

Yeah, there is nothing to explain or study if you are going to ignore all the facts and just stick with your terrible opinion no matter what!

Combine testing numbers don't mean anything.

Video of him shooting means nothing about his ability to shoot.

Record stats in college don't mean anything.

All these facts don't support your opinion so they mean nothing. :nonono: You can't even come up with any good alternative arguments just more "dur, can't wait until he busts"
DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 401

Post#1002 » by DoctaJ » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:36 pm

azcatz11 wrote:There’s really nothing to explain or study. I’ve watched at least 20 Purdue games this past season. He has like 2 post moves and is just flat out bigger than anyone. I reference the first Wisconsin game when Wahl (who isn’t even that good) absolutely gave him the business. Scored like 25 points directly on him. I also think his touch is overrated and doesn’t compare with Boban. He falls a ton and doesn’t have super soft hands.

:lol:
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,208

Post#1003 » by FrodoBaggins » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:04 am

Zubac and Valancuinas showing the importance of physicality, rebounding, and taking advantage of mismatches from switches, cross matches, and small ball lineups. With the nature of playoff basketball and how the league is now officiating the game, a guy like Edey has significant value, particularly in postseason play.
RyugaFan
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#1004 » by RyugaFan » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:24 am

1000 replies dedicated to a 12th man Can't deny this forum's passion.
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#1005 » by OriAr » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:29 pm

In a league where Zubac and JV play significant playoff minutes you can't convince me Edey can't do that either.
He'll be fine in the right team.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 931

Post#1006 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:56 pm

I will say, watching Lopez with his slow feet, inability to defend the perimeter and doing nothing but jacking up 35 footers has me starting to believe that if a guy like that has been able to start on a championship caliber team that Edey could as well. I think lottery talk is nonsense but late 1st, why not?
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,884

Post#1007 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:41 pm

He fills a massive need for the Thunder, and they are picking #12.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,214

Post#1008 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:10 pm

Edey at 12 is wild man
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,448

Post#1009 » by Big J » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:44 pm

GoBobs wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Diop wrote:Val is just playing big man ball inside.

I’m not saying I want edey in the lottery, just saying he can be relevant in the right situation. Some were writing him off completely

I think he can be a useful situational backup. I don't see him being anything more than that. Great college player, but the NBA is just another level in terms of speed of play. He's a old school center who happens to be in the wrong era of basketball.

Even Jokic/Embiid are slow but they are highly skilled. There game has range and they aren't just limited to post play.

;t=63s
shooting starts at about the 50 sec mark

Lol, this video convinced me even more that he's going to suck. Watch him run up and down the court. He does not look fluid. at. all.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,453

Post#1010 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:45 pm

Edey come Edey go
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 401

Post#1011 » by DoctaJ » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:13 pm

I can't wait to come back to this thread. :lol:
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#1012 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:59 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:I will say, watching Lopez with his slow feet, inability to defend the perimeter and doing nothing but jacking up 35 footers has me starting to believe that if a guy like that has been able to start on a championship caliber team that Edey could as well. I think lottery talk is nonsense but late 1st, why not?

Jacking up 35 footers makes it sound like Lopez isnt making nearly 37% of them at high volume. And you manage to not mention his elite rim protection and elite defensive awareness inside the post area. Just sticking up for my man Brook. He is a quality starting C at age 36 and has renovated his game in a way rarely seen in any sport to ensure he remains relevant. What he has done is one of the more unique accomplisments I have ever seen in the NBA.

Back to Zach, who isnt anything like Brook, I think Kanter is the guy to really compare. Big, strong and ground bound for the most part. Enes was a 0.5 BPG career guy, I think Zach just on height will be more of a 1.0 guy. But a nice role player, who ideally should be a 18-20mpg backup that can bruise 2nd units, cause some havoc in the post and demand doubles at times while eating rebounds at a high rate.

I see a late FRP in Edey. I am wary of spending a pick before, say 20, on a guy that I think is unplayable under any circumstances in the last 4-6 minutes of a close playoff game and I think Edey is 100% not playable in that situation.

If Enes Kanter was entering the league this year, in this NBA, I would still take him late 1st. I see Zach as a near fascimile of Kanter in terms of their playing style - but I do believe that Zach is a better defender as Enes was historically bad (Not just unable to switch, as Edey will be, but his awareness even as a post defender was unbelievably bad for a guy his size).

I do like his fit as a rebound eater in OKC but they are picking too high and they have a 4-out philosophy that I dont see Presti breaking anytime soon.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,866

Post#1013 » by greg4012 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 am

OriAr wrote:In a league where Zubac and JV play significant playoff minutes you can't convince me Edey can't do that either.
He'll be fine in the right team.

Let's see what teams make it past the first 2 rounds before making premature proclamations about what proves successful in playoff ball
Big J
General Manager

Post#1014 » by Big J » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:32 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:I will say, watching Lopez with his slow feet, inability to defend the perimeter and doing nothing but jacking up 35 footers has me starting to believe that if a guy like that has been able to start on a championship caliber team that Edey could as well. I think lottery talk is nonsense but late 1st, why not?

Jacking up 35 footers makes it sound like Lopez isnt making nearly 37% of them at high volume. And you manage to not mention his elite rim protection and elite defensive awareness inside the post area. Just sticking up for my man Brook. He is a quality starting C at age 36 and has renovated his game in a way rarely seen in any sport to ensure he remains relevant. What he has done is one of the more unique accomplisments I have ever seen in the NBA.

Back to Zach, who isnt anything like Brook, I think Kanter is the guy to really compare. Big, strong and ground bound for the most part. Enes was a 0.5 BPG career guy, I think Zach just on height will be more of a 1.0 guy. But a nice role player, who ideally should be a 18-20mpg backup that can bruise 2nd units, cause some havoc in the post and demand doubles at times while eating rebounds at a high rate.

I see a late FRP in Edey. I am wary of spending a pick before, say 20, on a guy that I think is unplayable under any circumstances in the last 4-6 minutes of a close playoff game and I think Edey is 100% not playable in that situation.

If Enes Kanter was entering the league this year, in this NBA, I would still take him late 1st. I see Zach as a near fascimile of Kanter in terms of their playing style - but I do believe that Zach is a better defender as Enes was historically bad (Not just unable to switch, as Edey will be, but his awareness even as a post defender was unbelievably bad for a guy his size).

I do like his fit as a rebound eater in OKC but they are picking too high and they have a 4-out philosophy that I dont see Presti breaking anytime soon.

Current Kanter is only 31 years old. Why would you waste a 1st rounder on the rookie version when the veteran version can be signed off the street?
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 931

Post#1015 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:07 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:

elite rim protection? I don't think it's a coincidence that his bpa went way up after joining MIL and it's because he's parked in the paint on defense and Giannis' length often funnels drivers towards him. I just think they're very similar athletically. Brook couldn't shoot a lick for the first half of his career and is proof that it can be done if you put the work in. If Edey can develop a three point shot he should be able to have similar impact as Lopez except he could be more effective down low and get to the FT line way more. But he needs the shot. Without it he won't be nearly as effective and likely headed towards a bench role.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,175

Post#1016 » by JMAC3 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:11 pm

Brook Lopez was an 80% FT shooter as a rookie, and took over 200 jumpers from outside of 10 feet.
His 2nd year in the league 18% of FGA were outside of 16 feet.

Him developing a 3 pt shot is less surprising then it would be for Edey.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,884

Post#1017 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:58 pm

As perhaps the first "Edey is a top talent" poster, I don't really think Edey should be taking 3's.

Maybe he adds a wide open top of the key spot up to his game. But that's it.

He more so contributes to his team's 3-point game via screening, rim pressure, and kick-out passing.
lastb1ckman
Freshman
And1: 77

Post#1018 » by lastb1ckman » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:38 pm

Big J wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

Current Kanter is only 31 years old. Why would you waste a 1st rounder on the rookie version when the veteran version can be signed off the street?

Because Kanter is 6'10, a finished product, at the age centers start to fall off, historically a terrible defensive big even regarding awareness on D, and has pretty controversial political views.
Big J
General Manager

Post#1019 » by Big J » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:47 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
Big J wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

Because Kanter is 6'10, a finished product, at the age centers start to fall off, historically a terrible defensive big even regarding awareness on D, and has pretty controversial political views.

You can’t use the age excuse. Lopez is 36 and still starting in the playoffs.
lastb1ckman
Freshman
And1: 77

Post#1020 » by lastb1ckman » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:06 pm

Big J wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
Big J wrote:

You can’t use the age excuse. Lopez is 36 and still starting in the playoffs.

I mean, Lopez has always been better than Kanter, he was an allstar. He's gonna get more rope in the league by that alone. Plus he's adjusted his game to compensate over the years. And he straight up has better tools than Kanter. It's not a stretch for flawed role player to fall out of the league by 30, and a former allstar to adjust to a vet role in his later years. Especially when they find a team schemed to use them.

Return to NBA Draft