Zach Edey, 7-4

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,921

Re: Zach Edey, 7-4 

Post#961 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:24 pm

IDK why I never thought of it but someone else mentioned him - Enes Kanter.

I see a Kanter in Edey - albeit a bit better BBall IQ on both sides. Kanter may have value for 18-20mpg as a backup bucket getter and rebounder but he just couldnt defend in space to save his soul. Zach is that same guy IMHO - albeit he actually isnt the rebounding savant that Kanter was.

So is a guy with similar limitations as Kanter a lotto pick? Even in this draft I cant see it.
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,367

Post#962 » by 2weekswithpay » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:36 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:IDK why I never thought of it but someone else mentioned him - Enes Kanter.

I see a Kanter in Edey - albeit a bit better BBall IQ on both sides. Kanter may have value for 18-20mpg as a backup bucket getter and rebounder but he just couldnt defend in space to save his soul. Zach is that same guy IMHO - albeit he actually isnt the rebounding savant that Kanter was.

So is a guy with similar limitations as Kanter a lotto pick? Even in this draft I cant see it.

Kanter couldn't defend in space or protect the rim. Edey has some value as a rim protector.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,854

Post#963 » by Norm2953 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:45 am

BigGargamel wrote:
OriAr wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:
You don't really think this is going to fly against NBA athletes, do you? They'll jump right through him.

He's 7'4 with 7'10 wingspan and 9'8 standing reach, he doesn't really need to jump for blocks

But you still have to be agile and athletic to block shots at the NBA level. Just being big works against college kids, but NBA athletes are smart enough to not just jump straight into a stationary target. :lol:

I seem to recall the same talk about Mark Eaton when he played for these guys are so big, they don't have to jump to alter shots.
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,208

Post#964 » by FrodoBaggins » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:16 am

Kevin Pelton's NBA Draft model ranks Edey 4th behind Clingan, Sheppard, and Sarr. It includes a stats component and considers ESPN top 100 prospect rankings. Edey is #2 in the stats component, behind only Sheppard.

My projections translate performance in NCAA Division I and other levels to an NBA equivalent then adjust for age and position to project value over a player's next five seasons. Lastly, I add in ESPN's top 100 prospect rankings for the best consensus projection.

The model is pretty good; it was high on Sengun, Van Vleet, Haliburton, Podz, and even had Jokic #1 in the stats-only model. It was low on Scoot and Wiseman, and it thought the top-end of the 2021 draft was overrated. It missed on Bamba and Edwards.
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect

Post#965 » by FrodoBaggins » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:36 pm

https://kenpom.substack.com/p/an-ode-to-edey

Zach Edey concluded his career on Monday, completing one of the most remarkable statistical seasons in recent decades. One that’s unlikely to be challenged anytime soon barring a major change to the way the game is played. Edey’s season has been oddly downplayed by critics who either charge he’s the beneficiary of a massive officiating conspiracy or his work should be dismissed because he’s 7-foot-4 (as if the scoreboard cares about a player’s height).

Whatever excuses you want to make, Edey had a season you’re unlikely to see again anytime soon against a schedule that was historically difficult. And he punctuated it with a title game performance that hasn’t been seen in decades against one of the strongest teams in recent times. Love him or hate him, Edey was special. And if you hate him, you’re probably a jealous loser.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#966 » by CptCrunch » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:06 pm

FrodoBaggins wrote:Kevin Pelton's NBA Draft model ranks Edey 4th behind Clingan, Sheppard, and Sarr. It includes a stats component and considers ESPN top 100 prospect rankings. Edey is #2 in the stats component, behind only Sheppard.

My projections translate performance in NCAA Division I and other levels to an NBA equivalent then adjust for age and position to project value over a player's next five seasons. Lastly, I add in ESPN's top 100 prospect rankings for the best consensus projection.

The model is pretty good; it was high on Sengun, Van Vleet, Haliburton, Podz, and even had Jokic #1 in the stats-only model. It was low on Scoot and Wiseman, and it thought the top-end of the 2021 draft was overrated. It missed on Bamba and Edwards.

I don't care about linked posts. Where do you have Edey so I can compile a list of his superfans and their big board Edey positions.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,514

Post#967 » by GoBobs » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:35 pm

FrodoBaggins wrote:https://kenpom.substack.com/p/an-ode-to-edey

Zach Edey concluded his career on Monday, completing one of the most remarkable statistical seasons in recent decades. One that’s unlikely to be challenged anytime soon barring a major change to the way the game is played. Edey’s season has been oddly downplayed by critics who either charge he’s the beneficiary of a massive officiating conspiracy or his work should be dismissed because he’s 7-foot-4 (as if the scoreboard cares about a player’s height).

Whatever excuses you want to make, Edey had a season you’re unlikely to see again anytime soon against a schedule that was historically difficult. And he punctuated it with a title game performance that hasn’t been seen in decades against one of the strongest teams in recent times. Love him or hate him, Edey was special. And if you hate him, you’re probably a jealous loser.

:lol:
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,448

Post#968 » by Big J » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:22 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:IDK why I never thought of it but someone else mentioned him - Enes Kanter.

No, Kanter isn’t even in the league anymore because his skill set is antiquated.
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect

Post#969 » by FrodoBaggins » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:29 pm

Kanter isn't in the league anymore because of his political shenanigans. He was a productive rotation guy from 2016 onwards. Did 11.4/11 on 60.7% and 63.7% TS in 24 mpg in 2021.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,448

Post#970 » by Big J » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:00 pm

FrodoBaggins wrote:Kanter isn't in the league anymore because of his political shenanigans. He was a productive rotation guy from 2016 onwards. Did 11.4/11 on 60.7% and 63.7% TS in 24 mpg in 2021.

Political shenanigans? No bro, look at Jonathan Isaac and freaking Kyrie. They are still in the league despite their politics.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,103
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#971 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:18 pm

BigGargamel wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:He has the advantage that he basically doesn’t need to jump to block and alter shots, which will leave him less prone to foul, conserved energy, and leaves uou in better position to rebound. His block numbers are nice when you factor in how safe it is for him to attempt a block.

You don't really think this is going to fly against NBA athletes, do you? They'll jump right through him.

I absolutely think a giant at the rim with his hands up will fly a lot. Much smaller guys make an impact in the paint just getting in position and putting their hands up. Of course he's going to need to move, and of course he's going to need to jump. Deterring guys from the paint and still having position and leverage to rebound is super valuable.

My response was more to comparing his blocks to guys that are like 6'9 that need to completely elevate and take themselves off the floor on every play to even begin to contest shots.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,102

Post#972 » by ItsDanger » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:52 pm

CptCrunch wrote:Edey has elite combine agility for his size. But he just looks slow in-game. Could be a processing issue in terms of reacting to play just a 1/4 to 1/2 second too late. The best defenders anticipate; if you react, you will look slow on defense.

The whole 'stone foot' is just a matter of moving too late relative to offensive player movements. Most if not all NBA players are fast enough in terms of agility if they can anticipate. 10-20% faster peak agility/peak sprint speed doesn't make a difference really on defense except in extreme cases (defensive savants who can recovery with freaky tools). Team defense is about getting in position on defense; man defense is about anticipating movements and have good defensive fundamentals.

Disagree here. Team defense in NBA is beyond terrible currently. Team defense is about anticipating next move, backing up if required while maintaining overall defensive structure. Pick another major team sport and their team defense cohesion is vastly superior to NBA.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#973 » by ItsDanger » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:45 pm

Read on Twitter

21/22 version not 1st option playing in 5 minute segments. He doesn't even attempt this block this past season and wouldn't hustle up the court. Instead would concede the bucket and pace himself to join the transition.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
lastb1ckman
Freshman
And1: 75

Post#974 » by lastb1ckman » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:23 pm

Enes ain't in the league anymore for all of the above. Flawed game, politics, etc. Plus he's at the age centers start falling off. He's also 6'10" like those other centers we compare Edey to so he can't even rely on his physical tools when his legs start going out. Kyrie is still Kyrie and Issac is still young ish and effective
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#975 » by JMAC3 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:37 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:it's finally over. Let the hype die a deserving death. The guy succeeded because he had no rivals (until tonight) like he'd see at the next level. He can't defend in space and he's got a 5 inch vertical so unless guys are taken it right to him he's essentially useless as a shot blocker. Let's put this to bed. He's going to be at best one of the worst starting centers in basketball but more likely, a guy you can get 15-20 mpg off the bench as a foul merchant and absorber. Clingan didn't do anything special and just his size was enough to slow Edey down. Edey just lacks skill which is noteworthy given he's been playing college basketball for years. Like, what is this dude doing in the offseason to work on his game? Those back to the basket moves are laughable. He never bothered to develop a 15-18 footer let alone three which might improve his future chances. He shouldn't be drafted in the first round.

Read on Twitter

That's a classic up and under move. And for the millionth time, they don't let him shoot mid range because of their system.

Classic 8 second call as well lol.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect

Post#976 » by FrodoBaggins » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:37 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
Read on Twitter

21/22 version not 1st option playing in 5 minute segments. He doesn't even attempt this block this past season and wouldn't hustle up the court. Instead would concede the bucket and pace himself to join the transition.

Impressive defensive mobility! And to think people try to compare Boban to him.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#977 » by ItsDanger » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:58 am

JMAC3 wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:it's finally over. Let the hype die a deserving death. The guy succeeded because he had no rivals (until tonight) like he'd see at the next level. He can't defend in space and he's got a 5 inch vertical so unless guys are taken it right to him he's essentially useless as a shot blocker. Let's put this to bed. He's going to be at best one of the worst starting centers in basketball but more likely, a guy you can get 15-20 mpg off the bench as a foul merchant and absorber. Clingan didn't do anything special and just his size was enough to slow Edey down. Edey just lacks skill which is noteworthy given he's been playing college basketball for years. Like, what is this dude doing in the offseason to work on his game? Those back to the basket moves are laughable. He never bothered to develop a 15-18 footer let alone three which might improve his future chances. He shouldn't be drafted in the first round.

Read on Twitter

That's a classic up and under move. And for the millionth time, they don't let him shoot mid range because of their system.

Classic 8 second call as well lol.

College 3 second rule is different than NBA.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,474

Post#978 » by Pattycakes » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:18 pm

Just here to post, Kanter isn’t out of the league because of his peak skillset being outdated.

Dude was a walking double double. There’s better reasons that have already been mentioned. That is all.
lastb1ckman
Freshman
And1: 75

Post#979 » by lastb1ckman » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:08 am

Also, with Kanter that's comparing Edey once again with a 6'9"/6'10" center. Edey is 7'4" with a 7'10" wingspan. They aren't the same kind of player. The difference in size it the same between Devin Booker and Peyton Pritchard.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,098

Post#980 » by The-Power » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:21 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Disagree here. Team defense in NBA is beyond terrible currently. Team defense is about anticipating next move, backing up if required while maintaining overall defensive structure. Pick another major team sport and their team defense cohesion is vastly superior to NBA.

Strongly disagree. It turns out that it's just really freaking hard to defend today's spaced out NBA offenses with multiple triple-threat players on the court in addition to certain rules or rule interpretations limiting defenses. It's more important than ever before to defend on a string in the NBA because teams are much better at exposing even the smallest defensive breakdowns, which also makes those more perceptible to people's eyes. NBA teams have become ever more professional and the talent pool they can choose from is at an all-time high. It doesn't make sense to believe that they just became worse at team defense. Instead, it makes a lot more sense that the offensive evolution just rendered effective defense much more difficult to accomplish and the kind of team defense that used to be sufficient to regularly get stops simply isn't any longer.

An entertaining illustration for that type of argument:

Return to NBA Draft