Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,387

Re: Leonard Miller 

Post#81 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:15 pm

Hal14 wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Where’s this guy going to end up drafted?

i'll be honest, and of course i'll get flamed for this, but i have him #4 on my board. i feel like he has as much upside as anybody in the draft outside the top three, but i also feel like his floor is higher than nearly every prospect in the draft, including scoot and b miller.

in terms of his floor, you don't dominate grown ass men in the g league at age 19 unless you can play. almost guaranteed at the very least he'll be a rotation frontcourt player in the nba for 10+ years. yet he still has big time upside.

Michael Foster Jr. was also a PF with questionable shooting, high turnovers and put up similar PPG and RPG numbers for the Ignite..

but his numbers weren't similar. this past season he was a year older than miller and put up 13 and 7 on 52% FGs and 22% 3pt.

Miller, again, a year younger went for 18 and 11 on 55% FGs and 32% 3pt. when you factor in the gap in production and the difference in age, there really is no comparison.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,170

Post#82 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:27 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
i'll be honest, and of course i'll get flamed for this, but i have him #4 on my board. i feel like he has as much upside as anybody in the draft outside the top three, but i also feel like his floor is higher than nearly every prospect in the draft, including scoot and b miller.

in terms of his floor, you don't dominate grown ass men in the g league at age 19 unless you can play. almost guaranteed at the very least he'll be a rotation frontcourt player in the nba for 10+ years. yet he still has big time upside.

Michael Foster Jr. was also a PF with questionable shooting, high turnovers and put up similar PPG and RPG numbers for the Ignite..

but his numbers weren't similar. this past season he was a year older than miller and put up 13 and 7 on 52% FGs and 22% 3pt.

Miller, again, a year younger went for 18 and 11 on 55% FGs and 32% 3pt. when you factor in the gap in production and the difference in age, there really is no comparison.

Let's compare apples to apples. Miller on ignite this season. And Foster on Ignite in the 21-22 season. Both seasons they're about the same age and played on the same team.

Foster put up 16 pts, 10 rebs and 1.9 blocks a game. Miller put up 17 pts, 10 rebs and 0.8 blocks per game.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#83 » by City of Trees » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:22 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Where’s this guy going to end up drafted?

FWIW you aren't the first person I've heard say this
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#84 » by CptCrunch » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:47 pm

Don't have a solid opinion on him, for being a young player who out up solid stats in g-league, he has almost 0 hype.

L. Miller is what probably a better prospect than those in the OTE.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,306

Post#85 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:18 am

Hal14 wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Michael Foster Jr. was also a PF with questionable shooting, high turnovers and put up similar PPG and RPG numbers for the Ignite..

Let's compare apples to apples. Miller on ignite this season. And Foster on Ignite in the 21-22 season. Both seasons they're about the same age and played on the same team.

Foster put up 16 pts, 10 rebs and 1.9 blocks a game. Miller put up 17 pts, 10 rebs and 0.8 blocks per game.

Except Foster didn't put up those stats. That was for the gleague exhibition, which is just part of that year (12 games). He also did it shooting 45/25/81. Miller was just much, much better. During the regular season he averaged 18/11 on 56/33/79 shooting, and during the showcase he averaged 15/9 on 50/29/79 shooting. Even if you say "well, Michael Foster is a better rim protector," he is less efficient, he is not a better rebounder, he is a worse distributor, he has worse feel for the game, and a worse frame.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,397

Post#86 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:37 am

I sense shades of Tari Eason with this player.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,803

Post#87 » by greg4012 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:37 pm

Hal14 wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Michael Foster Jr. was also a PF with questionable shooting, high turnovers and put up similar PPG and RPG numbers for the Ignite..

The fault in this comparison is the archetype of both players and how they get their numbers.

Foster has an old school post-up iso ball skillset. That doesn't get it done in the NBA unless you're good enough to be a top offensive option that commands the ball at a higher rate (and playmake from the paint). Otherwise, you're just clogging the paint. The stalky PF who wants to live on the lowpost and doesn't have the feet to defend on the perimeter is a dinosaur.

Leonard Miller gets most of his production in 2 ways: low usage rim running--a finisher around the basket--and with flashes of perimeter skill.

When you zoom out from just the numbers and look at projecting tools, there's really not a comparison.

The G League is littered with undersized big men who are slow footed but have good skills to score in the low post. It just rarely fits the modern NBA in a value add way.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,010

Post#88 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 7, 2023 11:04 pm

What a journey it's been for him! He landed in a great spot for his development too, where they value bigs with versatility.

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,097

Post#89 » by ItsDanger » Sat Jul 8, 2023 5:03 pm

Miller was impressive, what value at #33. Should be ready for rotation earlier than people think because he provides rebounding, a little ball handling and passing. No room on the roster though.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 9, 2023 3:13 pm

Trying to avoid the comp because they're both lefthanded, but he's got a bit of Chris Bosh to his game
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,781

Post#91 » by Upperclass » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:15 pm

Probably the most unique and awkward player ive ever seen.. plays like a 6'11 Fultz to a degree but miller can plaaay
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,933

Post#92 » by Colbinii » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:24 pm

Klomp wrote:Trying to avoid the comp because they're both lefthanded, but he's got a bit of Chris Bosh to his game

Less fluid but better physical tools Boris Diaw
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:49 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Klomp wrote:Trying to avoid the comp because they're both lefthanded, but he's got a bit of Chris Bosh to his game

Less fluid but better physical tools Boris Diaw

Not bad, but Boris was never really a rebounder which is one of Miller's biggest strengths.

With his rawness, physical tools, skill set and competitive fire, it wouldn't be surprising if more Minnesotans start throwing out comparisons to a young Garnett to be honest...I know it's lofty, but I've honestly seen a little of that in him.

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#94 » by EvanZ » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:30 pm

I don't see Boris Diaw at all. The whole thing with Diaw was how smart he was. Miller doesn't have that elite tier IQ.

He's not the athlete and doesn't have the size of KG either (dude was 7'1" with an insane wingspan and one of the "skinniest strong" guys we've ever seen).
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#95 » by EvanZ » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:31 pm

I probably said it before in this thread but to me he's kind of a hybrid of Jaden McDaniels and Siakam, not necessarily the best of both because obviously that would be like a 99%-ile outcome. But he kind of rebounds and defends a bit like Jaden and has some of the driving ability of Siakam, but probably not to that extent.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:58 pm

EvanZ wrote:I probably said it before in this thread but to me he's kind of a hybrid of Jaden McDaniels and Siakam, not necessarily the best of both because obviously that would be like a 99%-ile outcome. But he kind of rebounds and defends a bit like Jaden and has some of the driving ability of Siakam, but probably not to that extent.

Siakam is a pretty good comp, actually. That might be one of the better ones yet.

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#97 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:43 am

Timberwolves deserve credit for putting together this roster. They're pretty stacked and their playoff rotation will be among the best in the league.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,933

Post#98 » by Colbinii » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:07 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:Timberwolves deserve credit for putting together this roster. They're pretty stacked and their playoff rotation will be among the best in the league.

Yup--this is the year for them [us]. The last season ANT and Jaden are still on rookie deals.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:36 am

Read on Twitter

ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,097

Post#100 » by ItsDanger » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:24 pm

His defense will need work but early returns suggest a lot of NBA scouts should be fired. What is the excuse for missing someone so obvious? Answer, there is none. Leonard Miller should be at least a top 8 rotation player for many years.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.

Return to NBA Draft