clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,205

Re: Matas Buzelis - G League 

Post#61 » by clyde21 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:59 am

Marcus wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
i haven't dug into the numbers, are there inconsistencies? with the games i've had a chance to watch. the form looks fluid and consistent and the misses never look off to the extreme variety. what are the concerns you have?

mechanics are all fine, just want him to be a bit quicker with his shots and more consistent, it'll open up a lot of the playmaking potential for himself as well

he really doesn't have many major flaws tho, well rounded prospect

you seeing a bonifide 2nd or an elite 3rd option?

3rd scoring option + 2ndary playmaker from the 4
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Re: Matas Buzelis - GLI 

Post#62 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:25 am

I see Detlef. Call me lazy but I see Detlef. Obv w/ higher 3PT volume and better % + probably better STL/BLK numbers, but really think he has a ton of similarities on the court.

Cooper is more of a freak in the AD mold IMO.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,173

Post#63 » by Hal14 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:44 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I see Detlef. Call me lazy but I see Detlef. Obv w/ higher 3PT volume and better % + probably better STL/BLK numbers, but really think he has a ton of similarities on the court.

Detlef is not a bad comp. Or perhaps Turkoklu or Kukoc.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Matas Buzelis - G League 

Post#64 » by Marcus » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:40 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
mechanics are all fine, just want him to be a bit quicker with his shots and more consistent, it'll open up a lot of the playmaking potential for himself as well

he really doesn't have many major flaws tho, well rounded prospect

you seeing a bonifide 2nd or an elite 3rd option?

3rd scoring option + 2ndary playmaker from the 4

we're on the same page
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#65 » by Marcus » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:30 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I see Detlef. Call me lazy but I see Detlef. Obv w/ higher 3PT volume and better % + probably better STL/BLK numbers, but really think he has a ton of similarities on the court.

dont think Detlef is lazy at all. Seems to be the mold Matas would be in considering skillset what he would be asked/expected to provide.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#66 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:41 pm

Marcus wrote:

dont think Detlef is lazy at all. Seems to be the mold Matas would be in considering skillset what he would be asked/expected to provide.

Ya, mostly saying lazy b/c of the white on white comparison but really do see Detlef. I cant really use Kukoc as a comparison b/c I have not watched him prior to him coming to the NBA at 28 YO.

Matas is a far superior prospect to Hedo IMO, dont see a comp there - Turk was slower, a pretty poor defender, much more perimeter orioented and pretty lazy when the ball wasnt in his hands on offense. Matas can score off ball on cuts / movement + has the handle and vision to play creator #2.

Everyone will want him by years end but his fit in PDX especially is ideal - next to 2 (likely) volume scoring guards in Scoot and Sharpe a tall, versatile, unselfish secondary creator like Matas would be a godsend.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#67 » by Marcus » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:19 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Ya, mostly saying lazy b/c of the white on white comparison but really do see Detlef. I cant really use Kukoc as a comparison b/c I have not watched him prior to him coming to the NBA at 28 YO.

Matas is a far superior prospect to Hedo IMO, dont see a comp there - Turk was slower, a pretty poor defender, much more perimeter orioented and pretty lazy when the ball wasnt in his hands on offense. Matas can score off ball on cuts / movement + has the handle and vision to play creator #2.

Everyone will want him by years end but his fit in PDX especially is ideal - next to 2 (likely) volume scoring guards in Scoot and Sharpe a tall, versatile, unselfish secondary creator like Matas would be a godsend.

yeah i figured that much. but sometimes it just fits. only other i'd halfway consider to alleviate the pigment comp would be Lamar Odom, but he projects to be a much better shooter and not nearly as physical on either end.
Watch More Basketball

clyde21
RealGM

Post#68 » by clyde21 » Sat Sep 9, 2023 2:38 am

looking solid

gotta hit those legs tho

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,494

Post#69 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Sep 9, 2023 3:41 am

Honestly, after watching the two games vs Perth I’d have him behind both Holland and Sarr on the draftboard. Feels like high floor/meh ceiling.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,583

Post#70 » by MemphisX » Sat Sep 9, 2023 6:43 am

Shot looks great. Has to work on just about everything else.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Hal14
RealGM

Post#71 » by Hal14 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:09 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:Honestly, after watching the two games vs Perth I’d have him behind both Holland and Sarr on the draftboard. Feels like high floor/meh ceiling.

So do I but I still have Buzelis as a top 3 pick.

My draft board at the moment is 1) Sarr 2) Holland 3) Buzelis
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
clyde21
RealGM

Post#72 » by clyde21 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:29 am

Hal14 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:Honestly, after watching the two games vs Perth I’d have him behind both Holland and Sarr on the draftboard. Feels like high floor/meh ceiling.

you're changing it every week

it was Mara, then Buzelis now Sarr

so much fluidity for no real basketball being played
Hal14
RealGM

Post#73 » by Hal14 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:14 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

So what? I update rankings as I learn new information or see new film. Some of the film I'm watching now was from games that were played 6-12 months ago, too. 

I had Mara #1 based on the very early, initial film reviews I did. Then I moved him down a few spots, because he wasn't so good in the U18 FIBA tournament from the film I saw - which is concerning since he was going against younger guys.

Then I had Buzelis at 1. But watching these 2 Perth/Ignite scrimmages, imo it looks like Sarr and Holland are slightly better prospects - and they're younger than Buzelis too.

Being 3rd pick is nothing to sneeze at, though. I still like Buzelis. I just like Sarr and Holland a little more at the moment. I was lower on Holland (8-10 range) based on initial film review over the past few months because he seemed really raw on offense and not as fluid/coordinated with some of his movements out there. But between the Perth games and some other games of his that I just now watched for the first time recently, his ball skills and fluidity are looking better.

I have Sarr slightly ahead of Holland at the moment, because while neither of them looks like a primary scoring option, Sarr at least looks like a guy who could be a legit defensive anchor with really impressive prim protection for an 18 yr old combined with the motor, intensity on D and ability to defend out on the perimeter pretty well. I think Sarr is a pretty good playmaker too..and he can shoot it decently well..

Buzelis is the best shooter of the 3 and has very good positional size. But the release on his shot is a little slow..
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#74 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:45 pm

Sarr certainly has appeal with his rim protection, 3PT shot and switchability. I think we may finally have our 2nd coming of Myles Turner, but as w/ Turner I am not sure he is ever going to be a volume scorer. Still, a Turner clone is worth a Top-5 slot.

Still have Matas #1 - he never was going to be a 25ppg scorer - but I am not moving him down the board on 2 games. He still has elite feel for a guy his size and IMO his talents as a connector and ball mover wont be shining as much in his current league.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#75 » by clyde21 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:29 pm

Hal14 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:So do I but I still have Buzelis as a top 3 pick.

So what? I update rankings as I learn new information or see new film. Some of the film I'm watching now was from games that were played 6-12 months ago, too. 

I had Mara #1 based on the very early, initial film reviews I did. Then I moved him down a few spots, because he wasn't so good in the U18 FIBA tournament from the film I saw - which is concerning since he was going against younger guys.

Then I had Buzelis at 1. But watching these 2 Perth/Ignite scrimmages, imo it looks like Sarr and Holland are slightly better prospects - and they're younger than Buzelis too.

Being 3rd pick is nothing to sneeze at, though. I still like Buzelis. I just like Sarr and Holland a little more at the moment. I was lower on Holland (8-10 range) based on initial film review over the past few months because he seemed really raw on offense and not as fluid/coordinated with some of his movements out there. But between the Perth games and some other games of his that I just now watched for the first time recently, his ball skills and fluidity are looking better.

I have Sarr slightly ahead of Holland at the moment, because while neither of them looks like a primary scoring option, Sarr at least looks like a guy who could be a legit defensive anchor with really impressive prim protection for an 18 yr old combined with the motor, intensity on D and ability to defend out on the perimeter pretty well. I think Sarr is a pretty good playmaker too..and he can shoot it decently well..

Buzelis is the best shooter of the 3 and has very good positional size. But the release on his shot is a little slow..

i'm not making a pro Buz #1 argument (I actually have a 1a and 1b right now), I am saying it's so early and things are fluid that you're having to change who the #1 guy is every week, so not sure if it's meaningful to throw out these rankings right now

you have Alex Sarr #1 right now but you might have someone different in a couple of weeks at this point
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 886

Post#76 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:54 am

I have to agree but also behind several others as well. He looks the part but I can see him getting lost due to his position and maybe he'll struggle to have much impact in a guard/center league.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#77 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:25 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:

I have to agree but also behind several others as well. He looks the part but I can see him getting lost due to his position and maybe he'll struggle to have much impact in a guard/center league.

A well rounded forward who plays as a 'connector', isnt a defensive liability and can shoot is always going to be in demand.

He may not be a future alpha, but at least for my team (PDX) we need exactly that to compliment 2 high usage, scoring guards in Scoot and Sharpe.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,268

Post#78 » by Catchall » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:44 am

He looks a little faster and a little more fluid than Jovic and Wagner, imo. He's probably athletic and skilled enough to be a three-level scorer. If he can shoot at a high percentage off the dribble, he unlocks some star potential.

He should at least be able to play a Chandler Parsons-like floor spacing role and attack closeouts. However, his ceiling is higher than that. I would probably rank him below Sarr, Holland and Edwards at the moment.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
TheDraftGuy
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#79 » by TheDraftGuy » Thu Nov 2, 2023 9:40 pm

For me, I feel Matas is Chandler Parsons and Nic Batum. His last few performances weren't that good that I can call him an All-Star caliber prospect but his well rounded skills are enough that I can see him being a good wing/forward, regardless.

If he does improve, that may make his ceiling a Gordon Hayward/Rashard Lewis hybrid, which would fit with the Detlef comparison.

Looking at other teams projected to be in the lottery, Matas fits best with Portland. I would say he'd fit excellently next to Sharpe and Scoot, opening the floor up for them in a way they don't really have, at the moment, while providing good help defense and solid on-ball coverage.

Ideally, the Blazers acquire him, draft Edey as a potential back up center (which, I think, he has tremendous back up center potential due to his hyper-efficiency and height/length....someone you sick on Wemby to bug him a bit), and try to acquire one of Cooper, Boozer, or AJ in the following years (the sooner, the better).

Either that or the Spurs snatch up Matas and practically complete their future young core.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,268

Post#80 » by Catchall » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:06 pm

Gleague Ignite is listing Buzelis as 6'8". If he were 6'10" or 6'11", he'd have an easier time shooting over defenders. If he measures in at around 6'8", he'll have to actually beat defenders, and I'm not sure how capable he is of doing that.

Truthfully, if he and Risarcher are the same size, I might prefer Risarcher. Risarcher has a pretty complete package with shooting, defense and some playmaking.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to NBA Draft