Matas Buzelis - GLI

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,382

Re: Matas Buzelis - GLI 

Post#81 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:43 pm

Catchall wrote:Gleague Ignite is listing Buzelis as 6'8". If he were 6'10" or 6'11", he'd have an easier time shooting over defenders. If he measures in at around 6'8", he'll have to actually beat defenders, and I'm not sure how capable he is of doing that.

Truthfully, if he and Risarcher are the same size, I might prefer Risarcher. Risarcher has a pretty complete package with shooting, defense and some playmaking.

no idea how tall buzelis is, but he always seemed to play small when i saw him in HS, so 6'8" wouldn't surprise me.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#82 » by EvanZ » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:45 pm

GLI kicks off tonight on Tubi! What the f is tubi lol
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,262

Post#83 » by Catchall » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:56 pm

EvanZ wrote:GLI kicks off tonight on Tubi! What the f is tubi lol

Games are streamed on Tubi -- tubitv.com
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,823

Post#84 » by UcanUwill » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:14 pm

I have never seen real Buzelis games, but he does look really tall, like I qould guess around 6'10 at least? But man he looks so raw, he aint a lock for success at all so far.

Risacher I watched once, so I dont know either, he is very long, very good shooter, but I was surprised how below the rim he plays, even in open court. I dont see huge potential with him yet, next Batum is good expectation for France and NBA fans I guess, ultimate 3 and D guy.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,382

Post#85 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:06 pm

so i guess buzelis is hurt? has anybody heard anything?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,719

Post#86 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:15 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:so i guess buzelis is hurt? has anybody heard anything?

Sprained ankle. Have no clue when he is expected back.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#87 » by Hal14 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:29 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
Catchall wrote:Gleague Ignite is listing Buzelis as 6'8". If he were 6'10" or 6'11", he'd have an easier time shooting over defenders. If he measures in at around 6'8", he'll have to actually beat defenders, and I'm not sure how capable he is of doing that.

Truthfully, if he and Risarcher are the same size, I might prefer Risarcher. Risarcher has a pretty complete package with shooting, defense and some playmaking.

no idea how tall buzelis is, but he always seemed to play small when i saw him in HS, so 6'8" wouldn't surprise me.

He was measured at 6'10.25" over the summer.

Ignite is off with a lot of the heights they list. I wouldn't go by that.

As for Risacher, he is a worse shooter, worse defender and worse playmaker than Buzelis. He's likely an inch or 2 shorter than Buzelis and simply been a worse player, less efficient and less productive over the past year or so..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 854

Post#88 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:17 pm

Risarcher plays like a 6'9" Manu. He has a really good feel for the game and looks like a natural basketball player and imo is a slightly better defender than Buzelis. He's shooting 50% from three with lots of blocks and steals so far this season. Both are worth drafting in the lottery and as prospects I have them neck and neck. Buzelis is a bigger and better athlete with maybe more upside as a result. If I saw more aggressiveness from Buzelis he'd jump several spots in my rankings.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,583

Post#89 » by MemphisX » Sun Dec 3, 2023 11:38 am

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,262

Post#90 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Dec 3, 2023 4:51 pm

MemphisX wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

Hmm...

From those clips, he looks leaner/better shape (I know he talked about John Jenkins helping him with his approach/diet). Also, he kind of looks nimble and like he has been watching tape of Franz Wagner with Orlando. Some of those actions were the same things I've seen Franz doing this year with the off-ball movement. The quick catch and shoot.

Can't wait to catch some of their games now that he's playing. I was only watching NBA yesterday, so I totally missed this one.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#91 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Dec 3, 2023 5:50 pm

Ya, I see him as a Franz / Hayward tier guy, which may be worth the 1st pick in this draft w/ meh top tier talent.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,026

Post#92 » by Chi town » Mon Dec 4, 2023 7:25 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
MemphisX wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

Hmm...

From those clips, he looks leaner/better shape (I know he talked about John Jenkins helping him with his approach/diet). Also, he kind of looks nimble and like he has been watching tape of Franz Wagner with Orlando. Some of those actions were the same things I've seen Franz doing this year with the off-ball movement. The quick catch and shoot.

Can't wait to catch some of their games now that he's playing. I was only watching NBA yesterday, so I totally missed this one.

Yep. Franz has always been his comp IMO. Wing game with PF length. Lauri has the PF body with wing game although he bullies. I see Matas much more Franz as a handler.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie

Post#93 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Dec 5, 2023 3:29 am

nice to see him back on the court. He moved around pretty well. Had 11 points and a couple of blocks. Let's hope he knocked the rust off and will really get to showcase his skills the rest of the way.
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#94 » by MemphisX » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:06 pm

Think he needs to be tracked in his own thread now:

Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Sakkreth
Starter
And1: 3,404

Post#95 » by Sakkreth » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:00 pm

MemphisX wrote:Think he needs to be tracked in his own thread now:

I'm impressed by his finishes with contact. He's 19 and that's rare to be finishing like that with his body type.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#96 » by Jstock12 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:51 pm

The main worry for me coming into this season was how Buzelis will be able to handle the physicality of the G-League. Not only is he handling it fine, he's even shown some damn good defense as well. He's not just some one dimensional scorer. Constantly gets you steals and blocks.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,026

Post#97 » by Chi town » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:16 pm

So skilled. Plays at his own pace and space.

Once he fills in and gets stronger he’s going to be a beast. Will effect games beyond his box score.
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#98 » by MemphisX » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:58 am

Jstock12 wrote:The main worry for me coming into this season was how Buzelis will be able to handle the physicality of the G-League. Not only is he handling it fine, he's even shown some damn good defense as well. He's not just some one dimensional scorer. Constantly gets you steals and blocks.

Yeah, he has that CHet/Wemby thing going. Very skinny but does not shy away from contact on either end.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie

Post#99 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:40 am

Jstock12 wrote:The main worry for me coming into this season was how Buzelis will be able to handle the physicality of the G-League. Not only is he handling it fine, he's even shown some damn good defense as well. He's not just some one dimensional scorer. Constantly gets you steals and blocks.

I think that is most people's main concerns. He's a shade under 6'9" with a slight build without the frame to really add much size. I have him in that Franz Wagner tier as a prospect. I think he's a slightly better athlete, better defender, has a better handle and is a more natural scorer as well but they're very similar in height, the way they move, their playmaking and their feel for the game. People love Wagner but Buzelis is a similar if not better prospect who might not go top 5 yet this is a weak class?

Wagner's role with the Magic is exactly how I'd utilize Buzelis too. Hoping of course he was a better shooter and defender than Wagner. Which would make him one of the best two-way small forwards in the game. But man, Buzelis is really skinny. Even his legs. He's smaller than pretty much every natural small forward he'll face in the NBA. He has to put on size. If I could trust he could put on 20-25 lbs I'd probably move him up my board. Nutritionist and personal trainer would be the first people I hired after this season. Tren should be his friend as well.
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,029

Post#100 » by NotMyKawhi » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:20 am

Sakkreth wrote:
MemphisX wrote:Think he needs to be tracked in his own thread now:

I'm impressed by his finishes with contact. He's 19 and that's rare to be finishing like that with his body type.

bust

remember i said it

Return to NBA Draft