Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Re: GG Jackson Thread 

Post#401 » by EvanZ » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:16 pm

Catchall wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Anything anyone did on the Grizzlies this season should be forgotten immediately. It was a lost season with a bunch of GL scrubs aggregating meaningless stats.

What are Brandon Miller's stats on the Hornets worth then?

They’re worth something because the prior on him was very good. Same for Wemby. But I’ve seen the movie before where scrubs put up numbers on bad teams and are never heard from again. Guys like Erich Paschall who fooled people into thinking he was good after his rookie season. Or even take “Process” era MCW. I don’t trust these stats until I see it again and preferably on better teams.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
BAMAFREAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,370

Post#402 » by BAMAFREAK » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:58 am

EvanZ wrote:
Catchall wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Anything anyone did on the Grizzlies this season should be forgotten immediately. It was a lost season with a bunch of GL scrubs aggregating meaningless stats.

They’re worth something because the prior on him was very good. Same for Wemby. But I’ve seen the movie before where scrubs put up numbers on bad teams and are never heard from again. Guys like Erich Paschall who fooled people into thinking he was good after his rookie season. Or even take “Process” era MCW. I don’t trust these stats until I see it again and preferably on better teams.

You talking out ya azz here. GG was just as highly regarded, if not more so, than Miller as a recruit. His reclassification muddled things but if he goes to Bama instead of SC he’s probably putting up stats just a tick below Miller there. He’s still a lot younger.
He has nothing in common with MCW and Oaschal. He’s a premium talent
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Post#403 » by JMAC3 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:29 pm

Yeah I think GG is looking good, but he is probably Memphis 5th or 6th best player next year, so it was great to see him take advantage of his mins but his role next year will be significantly smaller and his numbers are probably going to go down.

Now given his history, I am interested to see how his mental handles being moved to the bench.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 183

Post#404 » by QMemphis » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:02 am

EvanZ wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Dude that makes absolutely no sense, you will count the 20 year old stats on a bad team because he was drafted in the lottery but yet won’t count the youngest player in the league stats because the team wasn’t good lol. GG led the Grizz to wins over The Bucks and Warriors with their full rosters. Dudes who have not actually watched a game of GG’s need to stop posting like they know what they are talking about smh.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#405 » by QMemphis » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:02 am

JMAC3 wrote:Yeah I think GG is looking good, but he is probably Memphis 5th or 6th best player next year, so it was great to see him take advantage of his mins but his role next year will be significantly smaller and his numbers are probably going to go down.

Now given his history, I am interested to see how his mental handles being moved to the bench.

You should check this out.

https://youtu.be/tixD1BJfnMI?si=FyS3KoNbVKIPxGJ1
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#406 » by JMAC3 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:44 pm

QMemphis wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Yeah I think GG is looking good, but he is probably Memphis 5th or 6th best player next year, so it was great to see him take advantage of his mins but his role next year will be significantly smaller and his numbers are probably going to go down.

I am good, not worth 13 mins of my time for him to say the right things in a scheduled interview lol
Big Board
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 886

Post#407 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:07 pm

QMemphis wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Dude that makes absolutely no sense, you will count the 20 year old stats on a bad team because he was drafted in the lottery but yet won’t count the youngest player in the league stats because the team wasn’t good lol. GG led the Grizz to wins over The Bucks and Warriors with their full rosters. Dudes who have not actually watched a game of GG’s need to stop posting like they know what they are talking about smh.

if the Grizzlies are healthy next year, and after adding another piece via the draft and maybe via trade or FA, GG won't play much next year. He'll lucky to get 20 mpg and his production will take a hit even from the numbers he put up this season. Don't be fooled by the numbers guys put up on bad teams. Their opponents take their foot of the gas, have defensive indifference and just try to get through games against bad teams healthy. The intensity is non-existent. And the usage GG (and others who have found themselves on teams like this) was afforded isn't typical and distorts his true abilities. You could take any G-Leaguer and give him 25 minutes and as many touches as he can handle and they'd produce like GG did this year. It's not to say he isn't talent. Just don't get carried away by his numbers.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,268

Post#408 » by Catchall » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:55 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

if the Grizzlies are healthy next year, and after adding another piece via the draft and maybe via trade or FA, GG won't play much next year. He'll lucky to get 20 mpg and his production will take a hit even from the numbers he put up this season. Don't be fooled by the numbers guys put up on bad teams. Their opponents take their foot of the gas, have defensive indifference and just try to get through games against bad teams healthy. The intensity is non-existent. And the usage GG (and others who have found themselves on teams like this) was afforded isn't typical and distorts his true abilities. You could take any G-Leaguer and give him 25 minutes and as many touches as he can handle and they'd produce like GG did this year. It's not to say he isn't talent. Just don't get carried away by his numbers.

I see. So all of this must apply to Brandon Miller too, since the Hornets were even worse, right?
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,205

Post#409 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:06 pm

Miller is like 3 years older than GG lol
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#410 » by JMAC3 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:39 pm

I feel like we need to set some parameters for the conversation.
Are we talking about GG as good pick? because if so then yeah he was a great pick.
or
Are we talking about GG as a future all-star talent? because if so that is where I give pause.
Big Board
Camintheway
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#411 » by Camintheway » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:03 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I feel like we need to set some parameters for the conversation.
Are we talking about GG as good pick? because if so then yeah he was a great pick.
or
Are we talking about GG as a future all-star talent? because if so that is where I give pause.

GG is clearly an all star talent. That's not debatable imo.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#412 » by QMemphis » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:46 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

I am good, not worth 13 mins of my time for him to say the right things in a scheduled interview lol

Dude why even say I’m interested to see how handles taking a lesser role but then say I’m not interested in hearing him actually say it. Lol a lot of you posters aren’t serious people.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#413 » by QMemphis » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:52 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

You are the exact type of poster I am referring to. I literally listed two wins GG lead us in with teams that were competing at a high level for playoff seeding. Thats not even counting the Lakers game were GG went head to head with Bron, but we loss by 3 against a Lakers team that was playing for playoff seeding. Obviously GG will get less shots and have to grow his game to be a starter but I fully expect him to be a 6th man of year level scorer by the end of next year.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#414 » by JMAC3 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:04 pm

QMemphis wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

Dude why even say I’m interested to see how handles taking a lesser role but then say I’m not interested in hearing him actually say it. Lol a lot of you posters aren’t serious people.

Because actions speak louder than words? He is coming off a game where he shot the ball 36 times but yeah I am sure next year when he is playing 18 mpg and getting 6 shots per game his attitude will be the exact same as it is now lol

If he says his goal next year is to become a All-Defense does that mean that will happen too?
Big Board
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie

Post#415 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:28 pm

Catchall wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

I see. So all of this must apply to Brandon Miller too, since the Hornets were even worse, right?

weak. Did you even read what I posted? Completely different scenarios. Miller was pretty much starting the entire year because he is a better player. There's no reason to believe Miller's usage will decline next season unlike GG. In fact, it's quite the opposite, his usage should increase since three starters were traded away (two that play his position; Hayward and Washington) and Bridges might be gone as well. Conversely, GG will see the rest of the starters (Ja, Smart, Bane, Clarke) return and steal minutes GG was getting. Not to mention they'll add a high lottery pick and another rotational piece or two since they have two 2nd rounders.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie

Post#416 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:40 pm

QMemphis wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

You are the exact type of poster I am referring to. I literally listed two wins GG lead us in with teams that were competing at a high level for playoff seeding. Thats not even counting the Lakers game were GG went head to head with Bron, but we loss by 3 against a Lakers team that was playing for playoff seeding. Obviously GG will get less shots and have to grow his game to be a starter but I fully expect him to be a 6th man of year level scorer by the end of next year.

and YOU are the exact poster I was referring to. Let's use these games you're so fixated on shall we? You'll notice my post explicitly refers to these exact types of things.

Against the Nuggets, they were down by 19 heading into the 4th. The Nuggets spread minutes around to keep everyone fresh. Jokic only played 31 minutes. They took their foot off the gas and only won by 15. GG took 36 shots. LaRavia, who normally can barely get on the floor when the Grizzlies are healthy) given more minutes (which speaks to my contention that usage results in production) had an even better game than GG. Higher FG%, better from 3, 4 assists and he scored 29 pts too.

And the Lakers game saw GG having a likely career best three point shooting game against a very tired and worn out Lakers team with Lebron being a disinterested defender and weak closeouts from others. That game, with GG going 7-13 from three, is an anomaly. GG had a whopping 1 rebound 1 assists in that game btw. But again, LaRavia had a monster game himself putting up 28-3-6. After the injuries, LaRavia, again, a dude who could not see the floor, suddenly was playing and put up nearly identical numbers to GG. This is what happens on bad teams dealing with injuries. He, like GG, has talent. But his usage, like GG, will take a hit when starters return.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,268

Post#417 » by Catchall » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:04 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Catchall wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

weak. Did you even read what I posted? Completely different scenarios. Miller was pretty much starting the entire year because he is a better player. There's no reason to believe Miller's usage will decline next season unlike GG. In fact, it's quite the opposite, his usage should increase since three starters were traded away (two that play his position; Hayward and Washington) and Bridges might be gone as well. Conversely, GG will see the rest of the starters (Ja, Smart, Bane, Clarke) return and steal minutes GG was getting. Not to mention they'll add a high lottery pick and another rotational piece or two since they have two 2nd rounders.

I don't agree with what you wrote. You're saying GG is a worse player/prospect than Brandon Miller because the Grizzlies have better players on their roster, which doesn't make any sense. When GG got usage, he put up numbers comparable to Miller, and GG is 2 years younger.

Just because Miller is on a crap team (and will get minutes/usage as a result) doesn't mean he's inherently a better player or prospect.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
QMemphis
Junior

Post#418 » by QMemphis » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:12 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

and YOU are the exact poster I was referring to. Let's use these games you're so fixated on shall we? You'll notice my post explicitly refers to these exact types of things.

Against the Nuggets, they were down by 19 heading into the 4th. The Nuggets spread minutes around to keep everyone fresh. Jokic only played 31 minutes. They took their foot off the gas and only won by 15. GG took 36 shots. LaRavia, who normally can barely get on the floor when the Grizzlies are healthy) given more minutes (which speaks to my contention that usage results in production) had an even better game than GG. Higher FG%, better from 3, 4 assists and he scored 29 pts too.

And the Lakers game saw GG having a likely career best three point shooting game against a very tired and worn out Lakers team with Lebron being a disinterested defender and weak closeouts from others. That game, with GG going 7-13 from three, is an anomaly. GG had a whopping 1 rebound 1 assists in that game btw. But again, LaRavia had a monster game himself putting up 28-3-6. After the injuries, LaRavia, again, a dude who could not see the floor, suddenly was playing and put up nearly identical numbers to GG. This is what happens on bad teams dealing with injuries. He, like GG, has talent. But his usage, like GG, will take a hit when starters return.

Lol dude you didn’t focus on the games I mentioned. I mentioned the Bucks, Warriors and Lakers games. GG averaged 17 ppg post all star break mind you he only started 18/48 games. So the Lakers were worn out lol, the game that Lebron had to play 41 minutes and showboated after a game sealing dunk they were just coasting huh. Dude you don’t know what you’re talking about. Yeah GG was given the green light against Denver where he got 44. Break down the Warriors and Bucks games and tell me where B Miller did something comparable. GG is a big time talent on the level of Brandon Miller and is 2 years younger.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie

Post#419 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:41 am

QMemphis wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

Lol dude you didn’t focus on the games I mentioned. I mentioned the Bucks, Warriors and Lakers games. GG averaged 17 ppg post all star break mind you he only started 18/48 games. So the Lakers were worn out lol, the game that Lebron had to play 41 minutes and showboated after a game sealing dunk they were just coasting huh. Dude you don’t know what you’re talking about. Yeah GG was given the green light against Denver where he got 44. Break down the Warriors and Bucks games and tell me where B Miller did something comparable. GG is a big time talent on the level of Brandon Miller and is 2 years younger.

lmao you're especially triggered. You've been chiming in seemingly after every strong game most recently the Nuggets and Lakers games which is why I addressed those in particular. Why are you cherry picking games they won and he had good games? They beat PHI and he went 3-10 (0-5 from three) for six points in a win but oddly, that's not brought up. Weird, are you talking about the win vs. MIL on 2/15? Middleton was out that game. And he had a whopping 1 rebound and 0 assists that game :lol: . Or were you talking about on 4/3 when Middleton AND Lillard were both out? But that's odd, you were claiming he was doing it against fully healthy rosters in the middle of playoff seeding runs. Now who doesn't know what he's talking about...dude? And you're bragging about a win in January against the Warriors (hardly high stakes like you claim) versus a team that missed the playoffs? You need to get a grip.

Save your lap taking for when and if GG is playing as much as he did this season after everyone comes back healthy and we've been proven wrong. Until then it's just hot air. Nobody is going to be impressed with January wins against teams that missed the playoffs or fluke wins against a team missing its 2nd and 3rd best player.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#420 » by QMemphis » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:06 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

lmao you're especially triggered. You've been chiming in seemingly after every strong game most recently the Nuggets and Lakers games which is why I addressed those in particular. Why are you cherry picking games they won and he had good games? They beat PHI and he went 3-10 (0-5 from three) for six points in a win but oddly, that's not brought up. Weird, are you talking about the win vs. MIL on 2/15? Middleton was out that game. And he had a whopping 1 rebound and 0 assists that game :lol: . Or were you talking about on 4/3 when Middleton AND Lillard were both out? But that's odd, you were claiming he was doing it against fully healthy rosters in the middle of playoff seeding runs. Now who doesn't know what he's talking about...dude? And you're bragging about a win in January against the Warriors (hardly high stakes like you claim) versus a team that missed the playoffs? You need to get a grip.

Save your lap taking for when and if GG is playing as much as he did this season after everyone comes back healthy and we've been proven wrong. Until then it's just hot air. Nobody is going to be impressed with January wins against teams that missed the playoffs or fluke wins against a team missing its 2nd and 3rd best player.

I chose games in which GG lead the team to victory over top level NBA talent. So Bucks fans 2/15 in which he had 27 off the bench to lead us to a win before the all star break and 1/15 GS game from where he also came off the bench leading us to a victory with Vince while JJJ struggled. The crazy part about the youngest player in the league doing this is he has not put a complete game together yet. This is the worse version of GG so sure nitpick on random stats without understanding what he was asked to do throughout the season. GG will be special can you say the same about your guy?

Return to NBA Draft