Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,991

Re: GG Jackson Thread 

Post#321 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:26 pm

Catchall wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Are people really taking laps on GG Jackson right now? Maybe the same guys who took laps on Erich Paschall 3 years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can tell you as a Jazz fan that GG looks a lot better than Taylor Hendricks so far.

Totally different circumstances though. GG wouldn't have seen the minutes in Utah either before those deadline trades.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 172

Post#322 » by QMemphis » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:04 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
Catchall wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Are people really taking laps on GG Jackson right now? Maybe the same guys who took laps on Erich Paschall 3 years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can tell you as a Jazz fan that GG looks a lot better than Taylor Hendricks so far.

Totally different circumstances though. GG wouldn't have seen the minutes in Utah either before those deadline trades.

It's close to the same situation as Taylor, GG didn't start playing until January and likely will not start a game this season. He is being used in a role that he will play next year bench scorer. Also, GG is going against real players that have scouts on him. If you watch GG you will know the huge difference between someone has to score guy in Eric Paschall and we can't stop this guy GG.
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#323 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:16 am

QMemphis wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
Catchall wrote:

It's close to the same situation as Taylor, GG didn't start playing until January and likely will not start a game this season. He is being used in a role that he will play next year bench scorer. Also, GG is going against real players that have scouts on him. If you watch GG you will know the huge difference between someone has to score guy in Eric Paschall and we can't stop this guy GG.

The guy's been playing very well and he deserves all the credit/kudos for his rapid improvement. I'm just saying, he is in a unique situation this year. Had Memphis not been decimated with injuries all year, the odds are pretty strong he would have spent his entire first year in the G-League. Not many playoff teams would have given the minutes to 19-year-old mid-2nd round picks. They gave him a two-way to start for a reason. GG's play earned him a promotion. Now he just needs to mature and stop getting suspended.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#324 » by Hal14 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:02 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Why not? Utah is a bad team. They had Simone Fontecchio starting for them. I figure GG could have at least gotten 15 MPG off the bench..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#325 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:08 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Why not? Utah is a bad team. They had Simone Fontecchio starting for them. I figure GG could have at least gotten 15 MPG off the bench..

Have you watched Utah this season at all? They also had Ochai playing the backup 3 and Hendricks began the season injured, which is why he had to ramp up in the G-League.

And Utah was playing .500 ball before Danny Ainge kneecapped them at the deadline.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#326 » by JMAC3 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:11 pm

He was polarizing for a reason, talent alone he should have been around pick 20. He is playing well now, but interested to see if he will have this same positive mindset once Grizzlies get guys back and his role is minimized.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#327 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:13 pm

was Paschall doing it as the youngest player in the entire NBA?
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#328 » by Hal14 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:15 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

Have you watched Utah this season at all? They also had Ochai playing the backup 3 and Hendricks began the season injured, which is why he had to ramp up in the G-League.

And Utah was playing .500 ball before Danny Ainge kneecapped them at the deadline.

Agbaji is not that good.

And Utah was hovering around .500 not because Agbaji was their backup 3 (lol) but because Hardy is a hell of a coach..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#329 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:18 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Why not? Utah is a bad team. They had Simone Fontecchio starting for them. I figure GG could have at least gotten 15 MPG off the bench..

Agbaji is not that good.

And Utah was hovering around .500 not because Agbaji was their backup 3 (lol) but because Hardy is a hell of a coach..

You got it.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#330 » by EvanZ » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:50 pm

Bottom line is 99% of people here want to take laps instead of being patient. Whatever I said for Scoot goes 10-fold for GG Jackson. If you're taking laps good or bad right now, it's a fools errand.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#331 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:58 pm

EvanZ wrote:Bottom line is 99% of people here want to take laps instead of being patient. Whatever I said for Scoot goes 10-fold for GG Jackson. If you're taking laps good or bad right now, it's a fools errand.

it's not taking laps saying dropping to 45 was always absurd. GG could be getting 0 minutes right now and it would still be absurd.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 712

Post#332 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:34 am

The weird thing about people bragging about GG is that he had a pretty horrible season in the G-League and is now only viable because of extremely hot and fake three point shooting (that is falling back to his prior percentages really fast now)

Not sure how many future stars suck in the G-League after being drafted.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 172

Post#333 » by QMemphis » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:27 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:The weird thing about people bragging about GG is that he had a pretty horrible season in the G-League and is now only viable because of extremely hot and fake three point shooting (that is falling back to his prior percentages really fast now)

Not sure how many future stars suck in the G-League after being drafted.

Dude where did you get that from though his shooting is coming back to normal he played well in the G League.

https://www.si.com/college/southcarolina/basketball/gg-jackson-finding-early-success-in-nba-g-league

https://gleague.nba.com/player/1641713/gg-jackson
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#334 » by The-Power » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:48 am

QMemphis wrote:Also, GG is going against real players that have scouts on him. If you watch GG you will know the huge difference between someone has to score guy in Eric Paschall and we can't stop this guy GG.

Please explain the difference. Both guys were/are able to score at okay-ish efficiency (though Paschall was solidly ahead) at comparable volume adjusting for minutes and pace on terrible offenses and bad teams. But somehow one is an example of ‘someone has to score’ whereas the other is an example of ‘we cannot stop him’. That doesn't make any sense. Mind you that Paschall actually had a higher rate of unassisted FGs and absolutely had moments where opposing defenses could not stop him.

I'm not saying that GG is going to be the next Paschall, of course. There's a chance he actually sticks around and we'll see where he goes from there. But comments like yours are just wishful thinking and not rooted in reality. We'll only see what GG is truly capable of after he has been given sufficient time and opportunity. He might take off, or he might wash out.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#335 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:31 pm

Over the last 7 games, GG Jackson is averaging 10.3/3.6/0.6 (lmao) on 32.4/21.9/79.2 splits.

Down to a 94 TS+ on the season (despite still shooting over his head from 3 at 36.6%) and with a laughable 5.8% AST%.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#336 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:38 pm

it doesn't matter that GG is struggling. He's so young and physically gifted that taking someone like him from late lottery on shouldn't be questioned. There were certainly a half-dozen guys I liked better taken after the lottery but no more than that. And he was taken 45!?
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#337 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:10 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:it doesn't matter that GG is struggling. He's so young and physically gifted that taking someone like him from late lottery on shouldn't be questioned. There were certainly a half-dozen guys I liked better taken after the lottery but no more than that. And he was taken 45!?

It's because he has the attitude of a 12 year old and it's not clear he will mature enough to play in a team offense, play defense, or work in the offseason to improve his jumpshot/handle/etc.

It's not like he's supremely talented with a 40% three point stroke, a 42 inch vert, or a 7'6" wingspan. He's like an 8.5/10 in terms of natural talent combined with 2/10 intangibles.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#338 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:56 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:it doesn't matter that GG is struggling. He's so young and physically gifted that taking someone like him from late lottery on shouldn't be questioned. There were certainly a half-dozen guys I liked better taken after the lottery but no more than that. And he was taken 45!?

It's because he has the attitude of a 12 year old and it's not clear he will mature enough to play in a team offense, play defense, or work in the offseason to improve his jumpshot/handle/etc.

It's not like he's supremely talented with a 40% three point stroke, a 42 inch vert, or a 7'6" wingspan. He's like an 8.5/10 in terms of natural talent combined with 2/10 intangibles.

I'm not arguing or claiming I had him ranked high. I personally found him to be a bit upright and stiff and like you mentioned, was a head case. But he is stacked, he has decent size and athleticism and he's young. 37" vertical and a 7' wingpsan isn't something to scoff at for a 6'8" guy. After the lottery most teams are choosing between very raw players or high floor low ceiling role players. I cant fault a team for taking a chance on a kid like GG especially for a team like the Grizzlies that had been drafting wings to try and complete their core and give them a Big Three to go with Ja and JJJ (Williams, LaRivia, Roddy) and had failed to really hit on any of them. It was a no-brainer at pick 45. Because he was taken so late I'm not sure why we shouldn't even be discussing him much either way until he's established himself. After all, if he fails it's somewhat expected no? And until he's fully proved he's not a bust it'll be premature to bother talking about a 45th pick in the draft.
BAMAFREAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,370

Post#339 » by BAMAFREAK » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:52 am

Still scoring like crazy for a 19 year old
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#340 » by God Squad » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:14 pm

He can score but doesn't do any of the other things. Doesn't rebound, doesn't generate assists, and does not do much in the stocks department. But at 19 he has a knack for putting the ball in the hoop.

Return to NBA Draft