GG Jackson Thread

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Re: GG Jackson Thread 

Post#301 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:46 am

I saw he had a big night. Good for him. He's one of the rawer prospects. I thought he was a little too stiff and upright for my liking but there's no denying his size and athleticism plus he shows promise as a shooter. I just wish he was more fluid and I could believe in him as a defender thus making him a viable 3 and D candidate.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,962

Post#302 » by BigGargamel » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:49 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Early returns show that a lot of GMs should be fired.

Meh. Someone has to put up stats on an absolutely terrible, shorthanded roster.

He had top ten talent, and South Carolina was not the best place for him to go, but he was a deserved second round pick. There were too many holes in his game, and still are. A two game sample size when someone has to score isn't changing that. We've seen this story a thousand times.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#303 » by ItsDanger » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:15 am

BigGargamel wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Early returns show that a lot of GMs should be fired.

Meh. Someone has to put up stats on an absolutely terrible, shorthanded roster.

He had top ten talent, and South Carolina was not the best place for him to go, but he was a deserved second round pick. There were too many holes in his game, and still are. A two game sample size when someone has to score isn't changing that. We've seen this story a thousand times.

That size and skillset is worth the risk every time at 45. Risk/reward matters when drafting.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#304 » by MemphisX » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:47 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#305 » by MemphisX » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:40 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=q0Zbv7QUrzRY6VJruFoDsg
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
BAMAFREAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,370

Post#306 » by BAMAFREAK » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:31 pm

He and Vince’s development make this awful season palatable. Them and whoever we take with a top 7 pick.
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#307 » by MemphisX » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:22 pm

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#308 » by clyde21 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:16 am

27 piece tonight

NBA GMs are such fools
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Post#309 » by peZt » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:33 am

clyde21 wrote:27 piece tonight

NBA GMs are such fools

You literally had GG 24th, Anthony Black 3rd and Taylor Hendricks 6th
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#310 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:55 pm

I will eat crow on this. Had no clue his shot would be this good - dont really think anyone can argue they saw this coming from a shooting perspective.

Hope he pans out - guys his size that can shoot like this are super fun to watch. Hope MEM can get some more vets this summer to help him reach his 'good player on a good team' potential rather than settle into the high scorer on a bad team trap.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,397

Post#311 » by Homerclease » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:48 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Catchall wrote:If I were a scout, I'd watch this 2-minute clip of an 18 year-old making high-level plays in the SEC and I'd feel comfortable drafting him in the top half of the 1st round. There's really nothing more to think about, other than the question of how coachable he is. You're drafting a prospect like this based on what you think they can be 3 years from now.

Read on Twitter

But you’re not a scout and now you’ve told us why you’d be a bad one.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Oh, the irony
clyde21
RealGM

Post#312 » by clyde21 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:50 am

peZt wrote:

NBA GMs are such fools

and he literally went 45th.

also read this thread and see who was defending him and even making a case for him in the lotto for a good portion of the season:

still feels like he's being underrated despite all the inefficiency

we're still talking about the youngest cat in the entire draft averaging 30/12 per 100 possession in a tough conference on a bad team, with an NBA physical profile and an easy to project two-way and scoring toolset.

Kuminga, a similar archetype player with similar strengths/flaws coming out went 7th overall in a strong class, and GG's a better prospect IMO. these guys just don't come along too often, you'll barely get 1 in each class, if that.

it all comes down to when you are willing to make the bet. some people are more risk averse than others. for me I am comfortable making that bet in the top10 fully knowing he has a higher bust probability than other guys in the same range.

i wouldn't be able to live with myself if he hits his potential and I pass on him because I thought a 3/D guy was a safer proposition. that's just the game you have to play as a GM. if you hit on a player like this you're set for a decade. if you miss, does it really matter that you passed on a few roleplayers instead?
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#313 » by Catchall » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:58 am

Yeah, I was ahead of the curve on this guy. The book on him was just that he was immature during his pre-draft process and a bunch of teams shied away. He was a pretty obvious NBA talent.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,991

Post#314 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:37 am

He's playing so well since being called up, although, he doesn't look 6'10 to me out there. He looks the same size as Ziaire Williams, who is 6'8. Then again, it could be that Jaren Jackson Jr has grown even taller (maybe over 7'0 now) since becoming a pro.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#315 » by shangrila » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:44 am

Catchall wrote:Yeah, I was ahead of the curve on this guy. The book on him was just that he was immature during his pre-draft process and a bunch of teams shied away. He was a pretty obvious NBA talent.

He's obviously talented, although I think the victory lap stuff some people are doing is a little premature.

He wouldn't be the first talented player to moron his way out of the league. Didn't he already admit he's been fined 4 times before signing his contract? And didn't he follow that up with some kind of minor suspension for breaking team rules?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#316 » by clyde21 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:11 pm

shangrila wrote:
Catchall wrote:Yeah, I was ahead of the curve on this guy. The book on him was just that he was immature during his pre-draft process and a bunch of teams shied away. He was a pretty obvious NBA talent.

He's obviously talented, although I think the victory lap stuff some people are doing is a little premature.

He wouldn't be the first talented player to moron his way out of the league. Didn't he already admit he's been fined 4 times before signing his contract? And didn't he follow that up with some kind of minor suspension for breaking team rules?

not victory lapping to say its insane he dropped to 45...that was true that night of the draft.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#317 » by EvanZ » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:11 pm

Are people really taking laps on GG Jackson right now? Maybe the same guys who took laps on Erich Paschall 3 years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#318 » by Catchall » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:52 am

EvanZ wrote:Are people really taking laps on GG Jackson right now? Maybe the same guys who took laps on Erich Paschall 3 years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can tell you as a Jazz fan that GG looks a lot better than Taylor Hendricks so far.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Post#319 » by peZt » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:
peZt wrote:

NBA GMs are such fools

also read this thread and see who was defending him and even making a case for him in the lotto for a good portion of the season:

we're still talking about the youngest cat in the entire draft averaging 30/12 per 100 possession in a tough conference on a bad team, with an NBA physical profile and an easy to project two-way and scoring toolset.

Kuminga, a similar archetype player with similar strengths/flaws coming out went 7th overall in a strong class, and GG's a better prospect IMO. these guys just don't come along too often, you'll barely get 1 in each class, if that.

it all comes down to when you are willing to make the bet. some people are more risk averse than others. for me I am comfortable making that bet in the top10 fully knowing he has a higher bust probability than other guys in the same range.

i wouldn't be able to live with myself if he hits his potential and I pass on him because I thought a 3/D guy was a safer proposition. that's just the game you have to play as a GM. if you hit on a player like this you're set for a decade. if you miss, does it really matter that you passed on a few roleplayers instead?

Yeah and my point is that it's easy to call GMs fools, from the comfort of your home pc. But if a GM is a fool for letting GG fall to 45th, what would you call a GM who takes Anhony Black 3rd?

I simply can't stand the arrogance of hobby scouts on Twitter and here, who call everyone who earns money for what they themselves do for free, "fools", as if they were right 100% of the time. I don't have the time for it, but if anyone analysed your mocks of the last handful of years, I doubt that you would fare any better than the fool GMs
clyde21
RealGM

Post#320 » by clyde21 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:23 pm

peZt wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
peZt wrote:

Yeah and my point is that it's easy to call GMs fools, from the comfort of your home pc. But if a GM is a fool for letting GG fall to 45th, what would you call a GM who takes Anhony Black 3rd?

I simply can't stand the arrogance of hobby scouts on Twitter and here, who call everyone who earns money for what they themselves do for free, "fools", as if they were right 100% of the time. I don't have the time for it, but if anyone analysed your mocks of the last handful of years, I doubt that you would fare any better than the fool GMs

NBA GMs are fools

There, I did it again

Now what?

Return to NBA Draft