Brandon Miller - Alabama

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Re: Brandon Miller - Alabama 

Post#741 » by JMAC3 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 8:21 pm

Miller awful in the first half last night 0/6 for zero points. Rebounded in 2nd half a bit to make it look not so bad, finishing with 12 pts.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,744

Post#742 » by KembaWalker » Sat Dec 9, 2023 3:36 pm

People actually thought the Hornets were making an all time blunder to draft the the best college player in the country that was a freshman with ideal NBA wing measureables, that was also the best shooter in NCAA, over a dime a dozen point guard prospect that cant shoot a lick but has a cool name and big biceps
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,501

Post#743 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 pm

The rookie nobody is talking about. Miller is the next great wing. If he puts on weight and gets stronger good luck stopping this kid with his shooting stroke.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#744 » by Big J » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:The rookie nobody is talking about. Miller is the next great wing. If he puts on weight and gets stronger good luck stopping this kid with his shooting stroke.

Nobody is talking about him because there were so many terrible takes about him pre draft.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#745 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 pm

[url][/url]
Big J wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:The rookie nobody is talking about. Miller is the next great wing. If he puts on weight and gets stronger good luck stopping this kid with his shooting stroke.

Nobody is talking about him because there were so many terrible takes about him pre draft.

Yeah I'm looking at the comments in this thread and the takes are flat out awful. :lol:
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,891

Post#746 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 pm

The next great wing?

You do realize he is significantly behind guys like Jayson Tatum at a similar age. He is right around Paul George's arc (But Paul George had a unique developmental Arc becoming an All-Defensive caliber wing and then an MVP Candidate).

I do worry about his free throw rate, which is historically low for a wing prospect.

I like what he has shown more than a 20/21 year old R.J. Barrett, which is great for Charlotte. He also looks better than a young Jaylen Brown, who was raw but uber-athletic, which leaves so higher end outcomes for Miller still in play.

Let's hope Charlotte can put the right pieces around him to succeed and maximize his skill-set going into year 2.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#747 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm

Colbinii wrote:

The next great wing?

You do realize he is significantly behind guys like Jayson Tatum at a similar age. He is right around Paul George's arc (But Paul George had a unique developmental Arc becoming an All-Defensive caliber wing and then an MVP Candidate).

I do worry about his free throw rate, which is historically low for a wing prospect.

I like what he has shown more than a 20/21 year old R.J. Barrett, which is great for Charlotte. He also looks better than a young Jaylen Brown, who was raw but uber-athletic, which leaves so higher end outcomes for Miller still in play.

Let's hope Charlotte can put the right pieces around him to succeed and maximize his skill-set going into year 2.

Tatum averaged 14/5 as a rookie.

PG averaged 8/4 as a rookie.

Miller as a rookie 17/4.

My man if anything he's ahead of those guys at that stage of their careers. Cmon man at least come here and state some facts. If you don't like Miller for other reasons than state that.

He's being compared to guys like PG/Tatum for a reason. You can see the clear skillset 6'9 wing with guard skills and can shoot.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#748 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

The next great wing?

Miller as a rookie 17/4.

I think it is more important to compare them at their respective ages and also look at things beyond points and rebounds [Which are a by-product of role on a team rather than ability]. For reference, R.J. Barret as a rookie posted 14/5/3 while being 2 years younger than Brandon Miller.

The first is Free Throw Rate. This is incredibly important and typically--for players who become superstars--have an ability to draw fouls. Below are the first 3 seasons of Free Throw Rate of Tatum/PG13 and a few other wing:

Jayson Tatum: 30.4% / 22.0% / 25.5%
Paul George: 25.6% / 28.5% / 23.3%
R.J. Barrett: 34.9 %/ 26.0% / 34.0%
Trey Murphy III: 18.4% / 23.8% / 22.45
Rui Hachimura: 25.7% / 24.8% / 17.3%
Jaylen Brown: 29.3% / 29.0% / 25.5%
Brandon Ingram: 31.2% / 37.1% / 39.6%
Taurean Prince: 33.0% / 18.5% / 19.5%
Klay Thompson: 12.7% / 13.0%/ 14.7%
Justice Winslow: 25.3% / 20.9% / 21.3%
De'Andre Hunter: 21.1% / 34.3% / 28.9%
Cade Cunningham: 16.3% / 19.2% / 23.5%

Brandon Miller: 15.3%

When I look at the free-throw rates, aside from some of the smaller sample sizes [Rookie Taurean Prince], is how much better most of these players were at drawing free throws, which is seemingly a requirement to develop into a Star Wing. Being able to draw fouls at a young age [19-22] doesn't guarantee stardom, but being unable to draw fouls at a decent clip is a red flag.

For Context for Miller's Free Throw Rate:

-I would point to Miller's 32.9% in college as a marker for this year being an outlier in support of Miller.
-I would point to Cunningham's growth as another potential supporting point for Miller as we project him into the future.
-I would point to Miller's ability to shoot the 3 at a high percentage and being utilized as a floor spacer as another point for Miller.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#749 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 pm

Colbinii wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
The next great wing?

Miller as a rookie 17/4.

I think it is more important to compare them at their respective ages and also look at things beyond points and rebounds [Which are a by-product of role on a team rather than ability]. For reference, R.J. Barret as a rookie posted 14/5/3 while being 2 years younger than Brandon Miller.

The first is Free Throw Rate. This is incredibly important and typically--for players who become superstars--have an ability to draw fouls. Below are the first 3 seasons of Free Throw Rate of Tatum/PG13 and a few other wing:

When I look at the free-throw rates, aside from some of the smaller sample sizes [Rookie Taurean Prince], is how much better most of these players were at drawing free throws, which is seemingly a requirement to develop into a Star Wing. Being able to draw fouls at a young age [19-22] doesn't guarantee stardom, but being unable to draw fouls at a decent clip is a red flag.

-I would point to Miller's 32.9% in college as a marker for this year being an outlier in support of Miller.
-I would point to Cunningham's growth as another potential supporting point for Miller as we project him into the future.
-I would point to Miller's ability to shoot the 3 at a high percentage and being utilized as a floor spacer as another point for Miller.
Bro whatever happened to the eye test?

You getting deep into stats. I'm just a basic stats guy. All that other stuff I'm not into.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#750 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Tatum averaged 14/5 as a rookie.

Miller as a rookie 17/4.

You getting deep into stats. I'm just a basic stats guy. All that other stuff I'm not into.

What does Miller do, when you watch him, that makes you think he will hit his higher-end outcomes as a wing and be a perennial All-NBA candidate?

Is it his pace? His feel and understand to space himself correctly on the court? His movements with and without the ball?

I have been impressed with the growth of his game inside the 3P line through the season but I still need to see more.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#751 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 pm

Colbinii wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

What does Miller do, when you watch him, that makes you think he will hit his higher-end outcomes as a wing and be a perennial All-NBA candidate?

Is it his pace? His feel and understand to space himself correctly on the court? His movements with and without the ball?

I have been impressed with the growth of his game inside the 3P line through the season but I still need to see more.

He's a rookie bro. Are you expecting him to peak as a rookie?

I see a kid who has shown he's not just a 3pt shooter. He has a mid range game, he's showing he can get to the rim with floaters and he's had a few poster dunks this year. They said he lacked athleticism they lied!

Of course I also see things he can work on such as ball handling, better shot creation, and he needs to get stronger.

With more experience and a better developed man body I see a kid who is headed towards a potential superstar. I see more positives than negatives at this point. His future is bright imo.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#752 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 am

As Miller develops over the next few years and hopefully improves his handle and the game slows down for him, he'll likely be more of a slasher and connective passer than he is now. He'll be more comfortable in ISO on switches and will get to the FT line more. He'll draw doubles and be able to pass out of them. I don't ever envision him being like Tatum or George as an all-NBA level wing but he should be solidly in that next tier with guys like Bridges and prime Klay. Anywhere from a top 20 (if he reaches his full potential) to top 40 (if he only marginally improves) All-star is definitely within reach imo

Hornets should trade Ball, draft a point guard with size that plays defense and is pass first that compliments Miller, like Castle or George. That'd be a nice base to build around and easy team to root for.

Return to NBA Draft