Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,447

Re: Brandon Miller - Alabama 

Post#721 » by Big J » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:58 pm

EvanZ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Actually they did? I've done some consulting for an NBA team. NBA doesn't pay enough to make me want to leave my actual day job though.

Big J makes a good living from what he’s shared. Maybe you can learn a thing or 2 from him

Um yeah guessing not. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doors always open brother.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#722 » by reanimator » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:19 am

JMAC3 wrote:
reanimator wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
I would probably preach patience too if my big board looked as bad as yours does right now.

Ausar 13th and no Lively, idc how much time passes those are instantly awful takes.

And what was your big board and how does the super early NBA season validate it :lol:

I was pretty vocal about Wemby- Miller- Amen-Ausar- Scoot in that order as my top 5.

Can you post your big board not tell me what you were vocal about? But yeah, even that big board wouldn't be correct if we go with your theory that small samples are highly predictive.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#723 » by JMAC3 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:32 pm

reanimator wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
reanimator wrote:

And what was your big board and how does the super early NBA season validate it :lol:

I was pretty vocal about Wemby- Miller- Amen-Ausar- Scoot in that order as my top 5.

Can you post your big board not tell me what you were vocal about? But yeah, even that big board wouldn't be correct if we go with your theory that small samples are highly predictive.

JMAC3 wrote:
As of now my ranks are:

1. Wemby

2. Miller
3. Amen
4. Ausar
5. Scoot
6. Whitmore

7. George
8. Black
9. Walker
10. Dick
11. Hendricks
12. Wallace

Then everyone else.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#724 » by JMAC3 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:48 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
As of now my ranks are:

1. Wemby

2. Miller
3. Amen
4. Ausar
5. Scoot
6. Whitmore

7. George
8. Black
9. Walker
10. Dick
11. Hendricks
12. Wallace

Then everyone else.

I would say my main thesis of the draft and I can post excerpts if you need me to were:
1. Miller and Thompson twins over Scoot
2. Jarace Walker over Taylor Hendricks
3. Anthony Black wasn't worth a top 5 pick.

I am willing to be wrong, will eat crow if I am. It is not that serious.
Big Board
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#725 » by Braggins » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:44 pm

KembaWalker wrote:9%

Miller is shooting 11% from 3pt and 56% from the line with a -7.4 +/- in his five games as a starter.

For comparison, here is the 5 game sample of Scoot people were spiking the football over vs Miller's first 5 games as a starter.

Scoot: 8.8 pts ~ 2.2 reb ~ 4.6 ast ~ 0.6 stl ~ 0.2 blk / 34.6% ~ 9.5% ~ 85.7% shooting
Miller: 10.6 pts ~ 3.2 reb ~ 1.6 ast ~ 0.8 stl ~ 0.4 blk / 40.4% ~ 11.1% ~ 56.6% shooting

I guess anyone who had either guy in their top 5 has some serious explaining to do because they are obviously both busts.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,749

Post#726 » by KembaWalker » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:15 am

this was the breakout game he was having before the ankle sprain, not sure how you guys didnt see it coming. typical draft board L once again :lol:
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#727 » by SeattleJazzFan » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:35 am

Brandon Miller breaking out the entire arsenal

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#728 » by Braggins » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:52 am

KembaWalker wrote:this was the breakout game he was having before the ankle sprain, not sure how you guys didnt see it coming. typical draft board L once again :lol:

Sorry, he was already declared a bust after the previous five games.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#729 » by reanimator » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:56 pm

This is going to be a thread where people continuously pop up after a "big" game and disappear after bad stretches rather than let the season play out so it can be assessed holistically :lol:
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#730 » by SeattleJazzFan » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:15 pm

reanimator wrote:This is going to be a thread where people continuously pop up after a "big" game and disappear after bad stretches rather than let the season play out so it can be assessed holistically :lol:

the season will play out whether anyone likes or not. so regardless of what happens in between (let people have their fun on both sides), it will ultimately be assessed holistically - and it will be glorious. :devil:
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,749

Post#731 » by KembaWalker » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:24 pm

reanimator wrote:This is going to be a thread where people continuously pop up after a "big" game and disappear after bad stretches rather than let the season play out so it can be assessed holistically :lol:

You have it backwards, it's always haters that show up after a bad game or stretch, and go back to their troll caves when it's not to their benefit. I was in here defending him when he was adjusting to starting and his numbers were dropping
reanimator
Analyst

Post#732 » by reanimator » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:31 pm

KembaWalker wrote:

You have it backwards, it's always haters that show up after a bad game or stretch, and go back to their troll caves when it's not to their benefit. I was in here defending him when he was adjusting to starting and his numbers were dropping

From what I remember, the thread got bumped post draft only 4-5 games in because Big J and JMAC ran in to proclaim themselves right. Most people had Miller early lotto, even detractors, so its not like there is some wide gulf in opinion.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#733 » by JMAC3 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:10 pm

reanimator wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:

From what I remember, the thread got bumped post draft only 4-5 games in because Big J and JMAC ran in to proclaim themselves right. Most people had Miller early lotto, even detractors, so its not like there is some wide gulf in opinion.

Imagine a guy scoring 29 points as a rookie and you have to not bring it up in the moment because it's frowned upon to talk about guys too early lol.
Big Board
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,300

Post#734 » by babyjax13 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:50 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
reanimator wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:

Imagine a guy scoring 29 points as a rookie and you have to not bring it up in the moment because it's frowned upon to talk about guys too early lol.

No one is telling you not to be excited. Miller may be better than Scoot, but it is 100 percent too early to tell. Yes, some people thought Charlotte made a terrible mistake b/c they had Scoot in a clearly different tier (I thought that and I still think Scoot can be transformative), but initial signs are positive for Miller's career (who to be clear, most people at least thought would be a good rotation player, including me - I though he was the right pick at 3 for sure, I preferred Scoot to him at 2 but understood the decision). What is funny though, is that there is this contingent of Hornets fans coming in here saying "look we clearly made the right decision" after 10 games. That's a pretty bold claim with such little info, and I'm not sure having faith in Kupchak is what people should be doing.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#735 » by JMAC3 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:23 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
reanimator wrote:

No one is telling you not to be excited. Miller may be better than Scoot, but it is 100 percent too early to tell. Yes, some people thought Charlotte made a terrible mistake b/c they had Scoot in a clearly different tier (I thought that and I still think Scoot can be transformative), but initial signs are positive for Miller's career (who to be clear, most people at least thought would be a good rotation player, including me - I though he was the right pick at 3 for sure, I preferred Scoot to him at 2 but understood the decision). What is funny though, is that there is this contingent of Hornets fans coming in here saying "look we clearly made the right decision" after 10 games. That's a pretty bold claim with such little info, and I'm not sure having faith in Kupchak is what people should be doing.

Yeah, this is a lot of revisionist history. People made it seem like us taking Miller over Scoot was damn near the same thing as taking Miller over Wemby. There was no, "well we don't agree with Milller but he is still a good pick" talk... it was "wow they passed on a guy that was a surefire 2nd pick, what fools".

People were victory lapping Scoot after he made his first 4 shots in SL even though he finished shooting 1/9 the rest of that game and saying Hornets made another bad draft selection. Meanwhile Miller had a game where he scored 26 in SL and that didn't matter. Scoot starts the year as the worst player in the NBA by Win shares and it doesn't matter. So you can see where things are going both ways with what does and doesn't matter. If Scoot was crushing right now I highly doubt the general theme of the NBA landscape would be saying "Hold on, we need a larger Scoot sample size".
Big Board
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#736 » by babyjax13 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:29 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Yeah, this is a lot of revisionist history. People made it seem like us taking Miller over Scoot was damn near the same thing as taking Miller over Wemby. There was no, "well we don't agree with Milller but he is still a good pick" talk... it was "wow they passed on a guy that was a surefire 2nd pick, what fools".

People were victory lapping Scoot after he made his first 4 shots in SL even though he finished shooting 1/9 the rest of that game and saying Hornets made another bad draft selection. Meanwhile Miller had a game where he scored 26 in SL and that didn't matter. Scoot starts the year as the worst player in the NBA by Win shares and it doesn't matter. So you can see where things are going both ways with what does and doesn't matter. If Scoot was crushing right now I highly doubt the general theme of the NBA landscape would be saying "Hold on, we need a larger Scoot sample size".

No, you are just weaving what you heard, not what was said. A majority of the board thought picking Miller was passing on the most likely player to be a star from this draft other than Wemby, but no one (except an outlier) had Scoot = Wemby. I'm glad Miller is good, I thought he would be, but these posts are just distorting what was said.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#737 » by JMAC3 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:49 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

No, you are just weaving what you heard, not what was said. A majority of the board thought picking Miller was passing on the most likely player to be a star from this draft other than Wemby, but no one (except an outlier) had Scoot = Wemby. I'm glad Miller is good, I thought he would be, but these posts are just distorting what was said.

It is funny that you think you know more about the response of the Miller pick than me. A fan of the team, living in the city that team is located in. I also was in the Scoot/Miller threads heavily leading up to the draft so pardon me if I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how the prospects/decision were viewed both before and after draft.

If you want to live in a world where the National Media wasn't **** on Hornets for Miller and also not victory lapping Scoot after 5 mins of SL action then go for it... but most Hornets fans saw it and saw a lot of it.
Big Board
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#738 » by babyjax13 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:55 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

It is funny that you think you know more about the response of the Miller pick than me. A fan of the team, living in the city that team is located in. I also was in the Scoot/Miller threads heavily leading up to the draft so pardon me if I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how the prospects/decision were viewed both before and after draft.

If you want to live in a world where the National Media wasn't **** on Hornets for Miller and also not victory lapping Scoot after 5 mins of SL action then go for it... but most Hornets fans saw it and saw a lot of it.

We aren't talking about the national media here, though.

JColl
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#739 » by JMAC3 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:36 pm

Miller now shooting 37% from three after struggling shooting from deep to start the year.
Big Board
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,306

Post#740 » by hippesthippo » Fri Dec 1, 2023 9:58 am

reanimator wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:

As far as I can remember, it was always a question of ceiling with Miller. The skills he had were never in question, it was whether or not he'd be able to contribute in multiple other ways. It's gonna be a while before that's decided.

Very similar to the Jabari Smith discussion the year prior.

Return to NBA Draft