Cam Whitmore

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

ocelot17
Starter
And1: 3,831

Re: Cam Whitmore 

Post#181 » by ocelot17 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:34 pm

I heard whitmore is being compared to Anthony Edwards.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,403

Post#182 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:42 pm

ocelot17 wrote:I heard whitmore is being compared to Anthony Edwards.

i think that comparison gets thrown around because they are both big, strong, powerful and explosive athletes who are suspect shooters. but, imo, that's pretty much where the comparison stops. edwards was always going to be a full time lead guard, where whitmore is 100% wing, even a 3/4 perhaps at times.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,954

Post#183 » by Nuntius » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:02 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
ocelot17 wrote:I heard whitmore is being compared to Anthony Edwards.

i think that comparison gets thrown around because they are both big, strong, powerful and explosive athletes who are suspect shooters. but, imo, that's pretty much where the comparison stops. edwards was always going to be a full time lead guard, where whitmore is 100% wing, even a 3/4 perhaps at times.

Yeah, I think that the comparison is more about what type of athlete they are (powerful and explosive) than their actual position and style of play.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,237

Post#184 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:02 am

Watching this game. After the first few mins, Prosper simply looks like the better player. Much bigger, much longer wingspan. Just playing better. Prosper not letting Whitmore do anything offensively.

Whitmore not able to stay with guys defensively, keeps fouling instead of being able to contain drives.

Whitmore kind of looking like a guy who was really high rated coming out of HS but maybe should have returned to school for another year to work on stuff.

Kind of surprising that pretty much every mock has him going either 4th or 5th. I've got him 8th on my board and may even drop him a little bit more..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,231

Post#185 » by EvanZ » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:12 am

Tried to tell you that before? I have Whitmore at 12 in my final board. Just never really could get into him.

Real question is where does YouTube sensation Adam Spinella have him? :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,134

Post#186 » by The Moose » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:19 am

The biggest issue I have with Whitmore is just how much of his scoring this season revolved around bully ball driving, where he just puts his head down and drove without a real plan, outside of getting a shot up somehow. Said it before but he plays like a bull in a china shop way too often, and really doesn't seem to read or react to what the defense is actually presenting him in front of him, and it's a major part of his insanely low ast numbers.

I'm not convinced this driving style will translate well for him at the NBA level.
Watching old Arizona clips of Derrick Williams gives me pause about explosive athletes who rely so heavily on just bullying guys on the drive.

So much of Cam's outcome is going to come down to how effective his jumper is, and if he can actually be impactful defensively. He has shown some actual perimeter skill as a shot creator, so that gives some hope, but I just can't buy top 5
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,382

Post#187 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:17 pm

EvanZ wrote:Tried to tell you that before? I have Whitmore at 12 in my final board. Just never really could get into him.

Vecenie has Whitmore BPA at pick 3. Scoot 2 of course. Miller 4.
It has been written...
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,540

Post#188 » by jezzerinho » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:47 pm

Not in my top 10.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 843

Post#189 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:53 pm

I think there's some Tatum upside here, but Derrick Williams/out of the league is easily the most likely outcome.

If he can't overpower NBA players, he has nothing else.

His frame being clearly maxed out at 235 makes it harder to project him being able to overpower NBA players.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,385

Post#190 » by babyjax13 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:53 pm

I think Indiana saying they want to trade 7 for a wing says where Whitmore is headed, which is for a bit of a slide. My guess is they wanted Jarace Walker, but Detroit is taking him. I still like him, but I get the worries.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#191 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:56 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I think Indiana saying they want to trade 7 for a wing says where Whitmore is headed, which is for a bit of a slide. My guess is they wanted Jarace Walker, but Detroit is taking him. I still like him, but I get the worries.

Jarace in the top 5 would be a massive mistake. Monty Williams just finished a years long feud with Ayton, Jarace Walker has Ayton's motor/toughness while only having Paul Millsap's talent.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#192 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:36 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Tried to tell you that before? I have Whitmore at 12 in my final board. Just never really could get into him.

Vecenie is probably wrong.

Does Whitmore look like a top 3 pick here?

Or here?

Read on Twitter

Whitmore only measured with a 6'8.5" wingspan, so he'd have to be a SG/SF. But you really need more playmaking/processing/passing from a guy like that. And he's carrying around a bunch of extra weight (235 lbs) for a guy who's got to play out on the perimeter as a SG/SF.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#193 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:38 pm

Hal14 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Or here?

Read on Twitter

Whitmore only measured with a 6'8.5" wingspan, so he'd have to be a SG/SF. But you really need more playmaking/processing/passing from a guy like that. And he's carrying around a bunch of extra weight (235 lbs) for a guy who's got to play out on the perimeter as a SG/SF.

I think Spinella is closer to Vecenie in reliability of draft coverage than you are with Whitmore 12. I will just put it that way. The Athletic draft guide is comprehensive, not some YouTube sensation or shock jock nobody like Dean on Draft.
It has been written...
Hal14
RealGM

Post#194 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:53 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Or here?

Read on Twitter

I think Spinella is closer to Vecenie in reliability of draft coverage than you are with Whitmore 12. I will just put it that way. The Athletic draft guide is comprehensive, not some YouTube sensation or shock jock nobody like Dean on Draft.

I'm not sure what any of that means lol.

I don't care how the athletic draft guide is, Vecenie could still be wrong. Even the best experts miss on some prospects every year.

I don't care what Vecenie says and I don't care what Dean on draft says. But I just sent you a full game where Cam looks like barely a good college player. And a screen shot from a different game where he forces up a bad shot over 2 defenders, gets blocked (with 16 seconds left on the shot clock) even though he had a wide open shooter he could have easily passed the ball to.

Let's just talk about the prospects themselves, rather than the people who post draft related content..
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#195 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:13 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Let's just talk about the prospects themselves, rather than the people who post draft related content..

Wow, man. You give excellent advice.

I will stack Spinella up against Dean on Draft any day. Spinella is producing all his own content through his YouTube channel and has meticulously sculpted his content with video editing, commentary. He's been invited by folks who get paid to do this for a living.

We should feel free to reference our sources. I don't subscribe to yours because The Athletic is more reliable. I think Vecenie is running circles around Givony this draft cycle.

Dean on Draft is a NOBODY.
It has been written...
Hal14
RealGM

Post#196 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:27 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

I will stack Spinella up against Dean on Draft any day. Spinella is producing all his own content through his YouTube channel and has meticulously sculpted his content with video editing, commentary. He's been invited by folks who get paid to do this for a living.

We should feel free to reference our sources. I don't subscribe to yours because The Athletic is more reliable. I think Vecenie is running circles around Givony this draft cycle.

Good grief, dude. Who gives a sh&t who any of these guys are, lol. You sound like a fanboy.

Sure, I check out their content. I watch film, check out stats, do some other research and formulate my *own* thoughts/opinion on each prospect.

Let's just talk about the prospects and not the content creators, please.

No one said anything about whether dean on draft is a nobody. But he posted something that is valid. He posted a play where whitmore forced a bad shot over 2 defenders, with 16 seconds still on the shot clock, got blocked, even though he had a wide open shooter who he could have easily passed to.

And I posted an entire game Villanova vs Marquette from February where Whitmore struggles to defend his man without fouling, he loses his man defensively on a different play, struggles to create any advantage/separation with the ball out on the perimeter and over all looks smaller and less impactful than Omax Prosper.

Why is it so hard to talk about the actual basketball being played on the court instead of the content creators?
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#197 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:29 pm

Dean on Draft is a really really stupid guy to be clear. His dating guide was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

But Whitmore's entire game does rely on bullying his way to the basket and never passing or pulling up and this will get him destroyed in the NBA. Even if he overpowers wings to get to the rim, he's usually in a very awkward position by the time he gets to the rim and he gets very little elevation once there. The size and explosiveness of NBA shot blockers will destroy him his rookie season.

Now, if he becomes a good passer, then he can neutralize the shotblockers by passing to the open man.

Will he become a good passer? It's very unlikely since he's historically bad as of now, but it is possible as he's 18.

He and Jarace Walker fused together would be a great player, individually they both are pretty bad right now.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#198 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:46 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Dean on Draft is a really really stupid guy to be clear. His dating guide was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

But Whitmore's entire game does rely on bullying his way to the basket and never passing or pulling up and this will get him destroyed in the NBA. Even if he overpowers wings to get to the rim, he's usually in a very awkward position by the time he gets to the rim and he gets very little elevation once there. The size and explosiveness of NBA shot blockers will destroy him his rookie season.

Now, if he becomes a good passer, then he can neutralize the shotblockers by passing to the open man.

Will he become a good passer? It's very unlikely since he's historically bad as of now, but it is possible as he's 18.

He and Jarace Walker fused together would be a great player, individually they both are pretty bad right now.

Yeah, I think fans need to avoid Dean on Draft at all costs. He obsesses over negatives and relies on confirmation bias for fans conditioned to the 100 disappointments you get from a prospect for every one triumph.

Whitmore is the youngest player in the draft, blessed with NBA-ready body and athleticism. Not to bring up Spinella again (I can't resist, I'm a "fanboy") in the face of the legion of Dean-bots infesting the woodworks of RealGM, but Spinella while projecting Whitmore as a potential primary scorer, notes that the most difficult skill to develop/acquire is playmaking, feel for generating offense for others when the situation calls for it. I think he needs to end up on a rebuild team where he can play as a primary scorer from the gate. He will need coaching and vet guidance to develop his reads of defense. I will say that his ballhandling will contribute to improvements in his playmaking. He can get nearly anywhere he wants with the ball in his hands. But he does attack without plan and has tunnel vision. NOVA has been producing gems though like Mikal Bridges and Jalen Brunson. They have a great teaching program.
It has been written...
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,231

Post#199 » by EvanZ » Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:01 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

I don’t remember mentioning Dean. Huh.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#200 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:00 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:NOVA has been producing gems though like Mikal Bridges and Jalen Brunson. They have a great teaching program.

Mikal Bridges played at Villanova for 3 years. Brunson played at Nova for 3 yrs. Josh Hart played there for 4 yrs. Jeremiah Robinson-Earl played there for 2 yrs.

These guys all played at Nova for Jay Wright.

Whitmore only played at Nova for 1 season, he missed a chunk of games in the beginning with an injury and he played for Kyle Neptune - not Jay Wright.

Return to NBA Draft