Cason Wallace

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,642

Re: Cason Wallace 

Post#41 » by Skybox » Wed May 3, 2023 11:09 am

ORL really could use a Pseudo PG like Jamal Murray or CJ, IMO. Franz and Paolo are very good ball handlers and passers for their size and position and ORL’s backcourt really needs to spread the floor as much as anything. They must be a threat to finish off the PnR and force defenders to fight thru screens. I see all of these non-shooting options in the draft and I just don’t see the fit. They look too much like bigger, faster, better Fultz’s to me…which is not what ORL needs. Maybe Wallace is one of those (often Kentucky)guys that’s a lot better NBA player than they were in college.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#42 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed May 3, 2023 1:56 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Ill come in and be a dissenting voice. I think he is just a bigger Davion Mitchell. I caught all but one of his conference games, just not sold on him ever being a legit lead guard in the NBA. His handle is too basic in my opinion. Just really lacks any dynamic handle or wiggle with the ball in his hands (especially trying to go left). I think he ends up in an off ball role.

With that said I do like him better than Davion coming out. He's bigger and I have less questions with his shot because he is actually a good FT shooter unlike Mitchell.

i'm a cason fan and i don't see that as a dissenting voice. a bigger davion is a pretty damn good player, especially in terms of a prospect considering davion was drafted about the place most expect cason to be draft - prospect wise that's a really good value.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#43 » by Hal14 » Sat May 6, 2023 3:05 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Ill come in and be a dissenting voice. I think he is just a bigger Davion Mitchell. I caught all but one of his conference games, just not sold on him ever being a legit lead guard in the NBA. His handle is too basic in my opinion. Just really lacks any dynamic handle or wiggle with the ball in his hands (especially trying to go left). I think he ends up in an off ball role.

With that said I do like him better than Davion coming out. He's bigger and I have less questions with his shot because he is actually a good FT shooter unlike Mitchell.

The bold part. One might say the same thing about Jrue Holiday and Marcus Smart.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#44 » by Hal14 » Sat May 6, 2023 6:04 pm

Sharing this, because some people on here were saying that Cason struggles to get to his spots off the dribble, can't drive it to the rim, get advantages off the dribble stuff like that.

A bunch of plays here where Tennessee is pressuring the heck out of Cason at the point of attack, but Cason has good control of the ball, doesn't turn it over, is able to get whatever he wants.

Gets to the rim on 1 play, hits a couple of mid range pull-ups and throws a nice pocket pass to Oscar out of the PnR. All in the first 2:11 of the video.

Add in the fact that Kentucky guards always do better in the NBA than they do in college and I think Cason will be just fine.

2:33 out of the PnR, handles the ball well, then zips a pass over to the open shooter for a 3
3:21 handles the ball pressure well, good post entry pass
4:26 Tennessee player right up in Cason's grill, pressuring the heck out of him at point of attack. Cason handles the pressure well, drives to the basket and scores the and-1.
5:03 Tennessee pressures Cason again. Right up in his grill. Oscar sets the screen, rolls to basket, Cason with the perfect pocket pass, gets it to Oscar right in stride for the dunk
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#45 » by Braggins » Sat May 6, 2023 6:17 pm

Not a fan of the Davion Mitchell comp tbh. Mitchell is a pretty twitchy athlete and has a very thick/stocky build with short arms. In terms of his defense and physical profile, I think taller Patrick Beverly is a better comp. Hes a much better playmaker than either of them, but otherwise seems pretty similar to Beverly on offense as well.

Taller Patrick Beverly with good playmaking doesn't seem that exciting, but hes a top 10 pick imo.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#46 » by EvanZ » Sat May 6, 2023 9:59 pm

Maybe some George Hill

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,470

Post#47 » by Saints14 » Sat May 6, 2023 10:00 pm

Skybox wrote:ORL really could use a Pseudo PG like Jamal Murray or CJ, IMO. Franz and Paolo are very good ball handlers and passers for their size and position and ORL’s backcourt really needs to spread the floor as much as anything. They must be a threat to finish off the PnR and force defenders to fight thru screens. I see all of these non-shooting options in the draft and I just don’t see the fit. They look too much like bigger, faster, better Fultz’s to me…which is not what ORL needs. Maybe Wallace is one of those (often Kentucky)guys that’s a lot better NBA player than they were in college.

Not his biggest fan, but Nick Smith?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,642

Post#48 » by Skybox » Sun May 7, 2023 12:09 am

Saints14 wrote:
Skybox wrote:ORL really could use a Pseudo PG like Jamal Murray or CJ, IMO. Franz and Paolo are very good ball handlers and passers for their size and position and ORL’s backcourt really needs to spread the floor as much as anything. They must be a threat to finish off the PnR and force defenders to fight thru screens. I see all of these non-shooting options in the draft and I just don’t see the fit. They look too much like bigger, faster, better Fultz’s to me…which is not what ORL needs. Maybe Wallace is one of those (often Kentucky)guys that’s a lot better NBA player than they were in college.

Not his biggest fan, but Nick Smith?

Definitely Maybe :lol: Those scrawny guys scare me a bit, especially with an injury history already...but I would embrace the pick if ORL took him for that role.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 817

Post#49 » by tester551 » Sun May 7, 2023 7:10 am

Hal14 wrote:

The bold part. One might say the same thing about Jrue Holiday and Marcus Smart.

Holiday is my comp for him. Very similar approach & stats in college
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,719

Post#50 » by Duke4life831 » Sun May 7, 2023 5:12 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Sure, but those two also became arguably the two best defensive guards over the last decade. What happens to those guys if they dont become the two best defensive guards in the game? Say they just become really good defenders but not elite? Those guys still worth a top 10 pick?

To be clear Im also not saying I wouldnt take Cason in the 1st round. I just wouldnt take him top 10, I view him mid to late teens.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,503

Post#51 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 8, 2023 5:52 pm

By multiple accounts, Cason had a really good workout with WAS and then promptly cancelled workouts with other teams afterwards.

Sounds like a draft promise...

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#52 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 8, 2023 8:39 pm

I have Cason going to WAS in my latest mock.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#53 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jun 8, 2023 9:12 pm

I find it hard to believe a regime 2-3 days in is already giving out draft promises. Talking about the Wizards here, I don't see it.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#54 » by K_chile22 » Thu Jun 8, 2023 9:32 pm

Could be all kinds of reasons to cancel a workout besides a promise. Travel complications, a tweaked ankle, scheduling conflict or just feeling confident in his workouts for earlier teams and thinking it's not worth the travel and effort of working out for ATL
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Post#55 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 8, 2023 11:20 pm

he def got a promise, I had one of him, Black or JHS going to Washington so it makes sense.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#56 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Jun 8, 2023 11:28 pm

yeah, there's like 4 or 5 teams before them that need a PG and ATL has two already so it'd be pointless. It's not like ATL was going to trade up or trade one or both of Trae and Dejounte to open a spot up for him.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Post#57 » by TyCobb » Fri Jun 9, 2023 12:17 am

Best fit is Toronto could be them.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,583

Post#58 » by MemphisX » Fri Jun 9, 2023 12:23 am

Rafael122 wrote:I find it hard to believe a regime 2-3 days in is already giving out draft promises. Talking about the Wizards here, I don't see it.

2-3 days? You know this dude was the GM for another NBA team right? He has a clear handle on the college dudes and the Wizards personnel.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,531

Post#59 » by 165bows » Fri Jun 9, 2023 1:07 am

Thought he made sense for Utah but WAS fits for sure as well. Positionally obviously but they also tend to prefer older or polished guys. Not a ton of those options this year but he could fit that mold.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Post#60 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 5:41 am

I love Wallace but a lot of wiz fans are concerned about his medicals.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

Return to NBA Draft