Scoot Henderson

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Scoot Henderson 

Post#1 » by The-Power » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:15 am

Since there now seems to be more interest in talking about him, it makes sense to have a thread for him.
The-Power
General Manager

Re: Scoot Henderson 

Post#2 » by The-Power » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:18 am

From the Miller thread.

JMAC3 wrote: Scoot probably scores 20+ but without the defense. Score first guards aren't nearly as rare.

Score-first may not be a wrong description per se, but it certainly omits why people are so high on him: he has legit PG skills. So if anything, he's a score-first PG (not Guard) and even for that, we could make the argument that he leans more towards a balanced PG.

Just for illustration purposes, Scoot has 22.3 FGA/100 and 10.0 AST/100. That's almost identical to Jrue Holiday this season (23.1 | 10.4) who usually isn't on people's mind when they talk about ‘score-first Guards’.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#3 » by CptCrunch » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:05 am

To be honest, I'm not too much in love with Scoot's archtype in the NBA, but...

His value comes from his extreme production at age 17 in the G-league and reasonable improvements this year on fewer minutes. Given that he has been scouted by every team's G-League affiliate and has lived this 'pro lifestyle', I think Scoot is reasonably safe prospect with a De'Aaron Fox/Ja Morant mix type of upside.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#4 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:56 pm

Not sure why so many bears came out on Scoot due to all star weekend BS. That said a huge game.

20 pts 9-16 2-43pt 14ast 7reb 3blk 1stl only 3turnover

;t=201s
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#5 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:55 pm

the size and lack of shooting worry me, but i think he's being underrated as a passer/playmaker/facilitator.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#6 » by reanimator » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:10 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:Not sure why so many bears came out on Scoot due to all star weekend BS. That said a huge game.

20 pts 9-16 2-43pt 14ast 7reb 3blk 1stl only 3turnover

;t=201s

You would think he plays at full speed 100% of the time with bad shot selection with the way he is stereotypically described but he is so poised, under control, always gets his team involved without pounding the ball, and has a terrific inbetween game. From a tools standpoint, I get the Ja and Fox stuff but he is so methodical that I often see shades of guys like Conley, CP3, etc.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#7 » by The-Power » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:22 pm

reanimator wrote:From a tools standpoint, I get the Ja and Fox stuff but he is so methodical that I often see shades of guys like Conley, CP3, etc.

I actually think CP3 is a solid comparison. Not quite the shooter or passer that CP3 was but better physical tools (stronger, taller) and even more explosive. He's also a bit more aggressive as a scorer. But there are some obvious similarities in the way they play.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,165

Post#8 » by JMAC3 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:57 pm

Great game for Scoot, he shot the ball relatively well.

He still relies heavily on a midrange jump shot, which to me is a good tool to have but I also don't want it to be my players bread and butter. He shot zero free throws, didn't get a ton of finishes at the rim and still only shot 4 threes which is a relatively low number for most star scoring perimeter players in the NBA.

I am probably nitpicking, which I feel like means it's a good draft to some degree. Scoot will probably be a very fast starter in the NBA because he is used to playing in the gleague with similar spacing, schemes, rules etc... I am more so projecting him 3-4 years down the road when size, defense and versatility are going to start being more important to be deemed a winning player and not just a guy that puts up numbers.

Players with size and defense are going to always project well long-term IMO. Jrue is a great example as a guy that offensively is still probably not elite, but if you polled franchises/gms he would probably be valued a lot higher than guys that just put up crazy assist or scoring numbers.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,396

Post#9 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:56 pm

Honest question: has there ever been a better "high school to G-League" player than Scoot?
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#10 » by JMAC3 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:29 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:Honest question: has there ever been a better "high school to G-League" player than Scoot?

I think he probably has been on the same tier as Jalen Green was.
Big Board
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#11 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:53 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:Honest question: has there ever been a better "high school to G-League" player than Scoot?

The only guy on his level has been Green. Green was a better shooter but Scoots has better numbers all around. I would take Scoot over Green as a prospect every time personally.

Scoot 12gp 30mins 18ppg 46.5% fg 4.6reb 6.9apg 3.4tov 1.3stl .8blk 3.1fta 76% 3pt 31%

Green 15gp 32mins 18ppg 46%fg 4.1reb 2.8apg 2.7tov 1.5stl .3blk 2.3fta 82.9% 3pt 36.5%

I also buy Scoot improving his 3pt shot over time to where its a positive.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#12 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:51 am

I expect a similar career and upside as healthy Derrick Rose. Superstar. I'm not sure it'll equate to championships though due to his size and lack of impact on defense, though he has the talent to be a very good defender if he wants to be I'm just not sure he will.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,341

Post#13 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:23 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:I expect a similar career and upside as healthy Derrick Rose. Superstar. I'm not sure it'll equate to championships though due to his size and lack of impact on defense, though he has the talent to be a very good defender if he wants to be I'm just not sure he will.

I see shades of Harden in his maneuvering/handles and Baron Davis in his strength and aggression penetrating the defense to the rim. But I would not cry at all if he's healthy D. Rose. Rose was my favorite player to watch in the sport at the time.

I'd lose my **** if the Hornets land pick 2.
It has been written...
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#14 » by JMAC3 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:48 pm

I don't really see the Scoot vs Harden comp at all.

Harden is a crafty iso player, who wins more off angles, drawing contact and shooting stepback threes. Harden also is more a drive and kick passer to gain assists.

Scoot wins more of speed and creating space in the midrange. Scoot seems more like an organizer, on time on target passer within a motion offense.

Offensively he probably plays the most like prime CP3, but that is a tough comp to make because CP3 was really competitive on defense and has a really high bbiq. Not sure Scoot checks those types of boxes yet.
Big Board
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,448

Post#15 » by Big J » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:54 am

I'm worried about his shooting at the next level.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,303

Post#16 » by babyjax13 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:20 am

I'm going with a better Steve Francis. Similar size, probably a bit better athleticism, similar shooting from 3, probably better inside, and a much better playmaker

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#17 » by mattao313 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:48 am

I don't like that he's so athletic but settles for mid range jumpers. I also do like that he doesn't get to line much and is pretty average finishing for someone who's that kind of athlete.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
The-Power
General Manager

Post#18 » by The-Power » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:14 am

mattao313 wrote:I don't like that he's so athletic but settles for mid range jumpers. I also do like that he doesn't get to line much and is pretty average finishing for someone who's that kind of athlete.

He gets to the line at a fine right I'd say. Keep in mind that the G-League rule of shooting only one FT (for two or three points) for the most of the game means you cannot directly compare it to NBA numbers. Maybe someone has access to his FTr after adjusting for this rule.

As for finishing, do you have the synergy numbers at hand (overall and adjusted for half-court only, ideally compared to league average)? According to the official website, Scoot shoots 60% within 5ft. That looks fine at first glance for a Guard but I'd need more context to properly evaluate it.

I agree, however, that his shot profile is clearly not ideal at this point.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#19 » by mattao313 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:34 am

The-Power wrote:
mattao313 wrote:I don't like that he's so athletic but settles for mid range jumpers. I also do like that he doesn't get to line much and is pretty average finishing for someone who's that kind of athlete.

He gets to the line at a fine right I'd say. Keep in mind that the G-League rule of shooting only one FT (for two or three points) for the most of the game means you cannot directly compare it to NBA numbers. Maybe someone has access to his FTr after adjusting for this rule.

As for finishing, do you have the synergy numbers at hand (overall and adjusted for half-court only, ideally compared to league average)? According to the official website, Scoot shoots 60% within 5ft. That looks fine at first glance for a Guard but I'd need more context to properly evaluate it.

Yeah I think it was like 61% in the restricted area which isn't bad or anything but for someone who is an elite athlete it's not impressive at all. I think he is a good prospect but don't think he's lock in at 2.

Championships
The-Power
General Manager

Post#20 » by The-Power » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:38 am

mattao313 wrote:
The-Power wrote:

Yeah I think it was like 61% in the restricted area which isn't bad or anything but for someone who is an elite athlete it's not impressive at all. I think he is a good prospect but don't think he's lock in at 2.

Who do you have ahead or at least consider ahead of him? I can see Miller and actually lean that way by now. But anyone else? I think that would be a very hard sell at this point.

Return to NBA Draft