Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,779

Re: Scoot Henderson 

Post#1561 » by azcatz11 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:21 pm

EvanZ wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
EvanZ wrote:JMAC and BigJ are the two guys who "made it weird". Something about having to prove Clyde wrong lol.

you seem to make it a habit to defend Clyde. I've now seen you do this multiple times. What gives?

How am I defending Clyde? I blocked him long ago. It's just hilarious you guys care what he thinks.

You and Clyde are the so called experts on here. That’s why people go after your opinions. Not rocket science
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,447

Post#1562 » by JRoy » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:22 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
JRoy wrote:
DOT wrote:I just want to know what specifically Scoot did to y'all to make you so upset at him

Cause it genuinely is weird at this point.

He really truly sucks. I didn’t want my team to draft him but tried to keep an open mind but he
is just terrible. He can’t even without constantly carrying the ball.

I wasn't in the "elite" camp but I thought (and think) he's got potential to be an above average staring point guard. I've been shocked at how bad he's looked at times. But he has flashed quite a bit and it's harder for rookie point guards than it is for other positions. I think people should slow down on the bust talk until he's been in the league for a few years. But yeah, it's not looking good.

I actually edited that post to make it less harsh.

He still is awful though.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,830

Post#1563 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:28 am

JRoy wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
JRoy wrote:
He really truly sucks. I didn’t want my team to draft him but tried to keep an open mind but he
is just terrible. He can’t even without constantly carrying the ball.

I wasn't in the "elite" camp but I thought (and think) he's got potential to be an above average staring point guard. I've been shocked at how bad he's looked at times. But he has flashed quite a bit and it's harder for rookie point guards than it is for other positions. I think people should slow down on the bust talk until he's been in the league for a few years. But yeah, it's not looking good.

It's not his fault that he got drafted as high as he did. I feel like the game vs Wemby is what made people go crazy. He had a great game and his team won. People tried to make that matchup a rivalry.

I'm a Hornets fan and I was sold on us taking Brandon Miller the moment I saw him drop 41 vs South Carolina after the off the court issue. Crowd was booing him and he was just balling. He had the it factor from jump.

I never understood the Scoot hype. I saw a kid who was athletic but his jumpshot was questionable. Then you had people trying to make him a super athletic pg like Rose/Ja/Westbrook. He was never that kind of athlete. His playmaking was also average. There were a lot of questions I had with Scoot that I just didn't have with Miller. I was shocked when people questioned Charlotte taking Miller. I feel like his off court issues rubbed people the wrong way and they just viewed Scoot as the better prospect.

Either way Scoot will improve I just think it will take him some time. He needs to work on that jumpshot all offseason.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,448

Post#1564 » by Big J » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:13 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
JRoy wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

It's not his fault that he got drafted as high as he did. I feel like the game vs Wemby is what made people go crazy. He had a great game and his team won. People tried to make that matchup a rivalry.

I'm a Hornets fan and I was sold on us taking Brandon Miller the moment I saw him drop 41 vs South Carolina after the off the court issue. Crowd was booing him and he was just balling. He had the it factor from jump.

I never understood the Scoot hype. I saw a kid who was athletic but his jumpshot was questionable. Then you had people trying to make him a super athletic pg like Rose/Ja/Westbrook. He was never that kind of athlete. His playmaking was also average. There were a lot of questions I had with Scoot that I just didn't have with Miller. I was shocked when people questioned Charlotte taking Miller. I feel like his off court issues rubbed people the wrong way and they just viewed Scoot as the better prospect.

Either way Scoot will improve I just think it will take him some time. He needs to work on that jumpshot all offseason.

His jumpshot is the whole reason that I knew he'd bust. You can't be a small guard who can't shoot in this league unless your name is Ja Morant. But oh, he's not a small guard according to Clyde because he has a bodybuilder physique. :lol:
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,830

Post#1565 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:34 am

Big J wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
JRoy wrote:

His jumpshot is the whole reason that I knew he'd bust. You can't be a small guard who can't shoot in this league unless your name is Ja Morant. But oh, he's not a small guard according to Clyde because he has a bodybuilder physique. :lol:
Yep shooting was my main reason for us not taking him. We also had Melo at pg. The fit just never made sense. Funny how people tried to force him on Charlotte. If he could shoot then it probably would have made some sense. Just glad we didn't fall for the hype like everyone else.

Also mad the NBA let you guys get Wemby. I should have known Charlotte was never going to get him. We have been screwed over on generational bigs for the longest we missed out on Shaq/Dwight/AD/ now Wemby. The NBA will never give us a generational center. :lol:
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,221

Post#1566 » by EvanZ » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:36 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
you seem to make it a habit to defend Clyde. I've now seen you do this multiple times. What gives?

How am I defending Clyde? I blocked him long ago. It's just hilarious you guys care what he thinks.

You're defending him, obviously, by saying the people posting supposed anti-Scoot posts, thus, against Clyde because he was so vocally pro-Scoot, are "making it weird" thus absolving him of any wrong-doing and painting it as weirdos versus Clyde.

you've gone out of your way to defend him multiple times. And mention him by name while doing it. Enough that it's noteworthy. Nobody on here needs others to fight their battles especially Clyde who has proven he dishes it out as well as he receives.

As usual your post is completely illogical. If you knew the history here (like Clyde ranking LaMelo 18) you wouldn’t be talking right now.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,213

Post#1567 » by clyde21 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:05 am

there are a select few posters on this board who do nothing but troll and talk **** about players without ever posting their boards or contributing in any capacity here

actively making this board unreadable at this point, and everyone knows who these names are
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 908

Post#1568 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:55 am

EvanZ wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

You're defending him, obviously, by saying the people posting supposed anti-Scoot posts, thus, against Clyde because he was so vocally pro-Scoot, are "making it weird" thus absolving him of any wrong-doing and painting it as weirdos versus Clyde.

you've gone out of your way to defend him multiple times. And mention him by name while doing it. Enough that it's noteworthy. Nobody on here needs others to fight their battles especially Clyde who has proven he dishes it out as well as he receives.

As usual your post is completely illogical. If you knew the history here (like Clyde ranking LaMelo 18) you wouldn’t be talking right now.

if only there was a way to look at past threads...
Big J
General Manager

Post#1569 » by Big J » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:31 pm

clyde21 wrote:there are a select few posters on this board who do nothing but troll and talk **** about players without ever posting their boards or contributing in any capacity here

actively making this board unreadable at this point, and everyone knows who these names are

These are the words of a broken man.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,221

Post#1570 » by EvanZ » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:43 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

if only there was a way to look at past threads...

There is, and you should figure out how. :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,172

Post#1571 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:26 pm

JRoy wrote:
He really is truly awful.

I didn’t want my team to draft him but tried to keep an open mind but he is just terrible. He can’t even dribble without constantly carrying the ball.

Normally young players show flashes of what they might look like when their games mature. Those are few and very far between with Scoot.

He looks like a bust to me.

Respect this, as this is coming from someone who I assume watches more Portland games than any of the main protagonists in the thread.

Weird that someone who should care about Scoot future more than most is willing to at least accept the potential fact he just isn't good... but we have people who have too much pride in their basketball opinions to even admit in the slightest they were wrong about him. Instead they want to ignore everything happening now and wait 3 years before even beginning to admit maybe he is just as bad despite what all the stats and eye test is telling us.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JRoy
RealGM

Post#1572 » by JRoy » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:30 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
JRoy wrote:
He really is truly awful.

I didn’t want my team to draft him but tried to keep an open mind but he is just terrible. He can’t even dribble without constantly carrying the ball.

Normally young players show flashes of what they might look like when their games mature. Those are few and very far between with Scoot.

He looks like a bust to me.

Respect this, as this is coming from someone who I assume watches more Portland games than any of the main protagonists in the thread.

Weird that someone who should care about Scoot future more than most is willing to at least accept the potential fact he just isn't good... but we have people who have too much pride in their basketball opinions to even admit in the slightest they were wrong about him. Instead they want to ignore everything happening now and wait 3 years before even beginning to admit maybe he is just as bad despite what all the stats and eye test is telling us.

I have to hope the Blazer brain trust sees something in him that I do not.

He is so goddamn bad.
Edrees wrote:

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,099

Post#1573 » by The-Power » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:48 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Weird that someone who should care about Scoot future more than most is willing to at least accept the potential fact he just isn't good... but we have people who have too much pride in their basketball opinions to even admit in the slightest they were wrong about him. Instead they want to ignore everything happening now and wait 3 years before even beginning to admit maybe he is just as bad despite what all the stats and eye test is telling us.

Please name the users who are active in the thread and do not accept the possibility that he's not good. If you can't then please stop framing any pushback against the incessant bumping of this thread after every bad game as ‘reasonable me versus Scoot fanboys’ because that's not at all what's happening here.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#1574 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:16 pm

The-Power wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Weird that someone who should care about Scoot future more than most is willing to at least accept the potential fact he just isn't good... but we have people who have too much pride in their basketball opinions to even admit in the slightest they were wrong about him. Instead they want to ignore everything happening now and wait 3 years before even beginning to admit maybe he is just as bad despite what all the stats and eye test is telling us.

Please name the users who are active in the thread and do not accept the possibility that he's not good. If you can't then please stop framing any pushback against the incessant bumping of this thread after every bad game as ‘reasonable me versus Scoot fanboys’ because that's not at all what's happening here.

I don't really feel the need to call people out by name, not really my style for the most part.

There has very clearly been excuse making for him when people talk about his poor def epm, his shooting, his finishing etc... Plenty of people choosing to ignore the writing on the wall and acting like those who are down on him have zero basis for the reasoning and framing it as ridiculous that concerns are even being brought up at this point...

It has very little to do with coming in here after every bad game and much more the bigger picture of just how bad he has been. If he was having a good/average season with middle of the road stats and people were cherry picking his bad games I would agree.
Big Board
Special_Puppy
Rookie
And1: 744

Post#1575 » by Special_Puppy » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:06 pm

I'm usually not one of those type of guys, but the Blazers really need to fire Chauncey Billups. Replacing him with an average coach would help Portland quite a bit
Big J
General Manager

Post#1576 » by Big J » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:55 am

Dude reminds me of Jonny Flynn so bad.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#1577 » by JRoy » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:04 am

Big J wrote:Dude reminds me of Jonny Flynn so bad.

POD had him, briefly.

Not briefly enough.

He could not play at all.
Edrees wrote:

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,099

Post#1578 » by The-Power » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 am

JMAC3 wrote:
The-Power wrote:

I don't really feel the need to call people out by name, not really my style for the most part.

I think you generalize and misrepresent people's viewpoints so that you can call ‘them’ out, and when asked to actually back up your claim you make excuses (‘not my style’) instead of admitting that you made it up and can't back it up now. Also, not wanting to prematurely declare Scoot a bust or not a good player is very different from not acknowledging that there is a possibility that he ends up a bust or not a good player. Obvious, no?

And even though it shouldn't really have any bearing, I'll point out that I have been a champion of Miller before the draft and voiced my concerns about Scoot (even though I still had him in that third tier of players and therefore fairly high). So I'm certainly not in here defending Scoot because I refuse to be wrong. I'm simply calling out bad, inconsistent or dishonest takes when I see them.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 762

Post#1579 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:23 pm

I will say that though I never thought Scoot was athletic, him being the 4th worst finisher at the rim in the NBA is pretty surprising.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2024_shooting.html

Only players worse: FVV, old Alec Burks, Jevon Carter. And all of these guys shoot very few shots at the rim as they're mostly shooters.

Only 10 players in the NBA shoot worse than 56.7% at the rim, Scoot is one of the 10 and is at 49.1%

The only changing belief from pre-draft to post rookie year is changing the belief on Scoot's explosion from "below average" to " well below average and actually bad"
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#1580 » by JMAC3 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:56 pm

The-Power wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
The-Power wrote:Please name the users who are active in the thread and do not accept the possibility that he's not good. If you can't then please stop framing any pushback against the incessant bumping of this thread after every bad game as ‘reasonable me versus Scoot fanboys’ because that's not at all what's happening here.

I think you generalize and misrepresent people's viewpoints so that you can call ‘them’ out, and when asked to actually back up your claim you make excuses (‘not my style’) instead of admitting that you made it up and can't back it up now. Also, not wanting to prematurely declare Scoot a bust or not a good player is very different from not acknowledging that there is a possibility that he ends up a bust or not a good player. Obvious, no?

And even though it shouldn't really have any bearing, I'll point out that I have been a champion of Miller before the draft and voiced my concerns about Scoot (even though I still had him in that third tier of players and therefore fairly high). So I'm certainly not in here defending Scoot because I refuse to be wrong. I'm simply calling out bad, inconsistent or dishonest takes when I see them.

I really didn't feel like derailing the thread but seems like you are really begging for it.

This is like 5% Miller vs Scoot at this point. It is more about Scoot just being awful and looking at him bigger picture as a #3 pick and against his fellow rookie piers.

When numbers at the rim are posted and the responses are let's look at a different site that looks at inside of 3 feet instead of 5 feet and then provide no context to where that actually ranks among the league then yes that is making excuses....he is awful on both but hey 1 of them is higher than other so see he isn't bad lol

When you post shooting numbers and the excuses are... lets only look at a certain segment of the games he played to make his shooting look better... that is making excuses..

When defensive numbers are posted for all rookies and his are in the bottom of the bottom... the claim defense doesn't matter for young players is excuse making...

When stats are shown he is high turnover and the excuses are his teammates suck, he has nobody to set good screens, its his coaches fault...

When 5 stats are shown that Scoot is bad player and the returning argument is well PLAYER X is also bad in 1 out 5 of those stats, so is he also bad?... is the type of arguments that are floated back.

I can promise you I am not over here just making up examples, these are real life responses in this thread instead of just saying " You know what, I might have been too high on Scoot".... it is just continually trying to poke holes in the very real evidence that exists that he is a pretty large disappointment.
Big Board

Return to NBA Draft