2024 NBA Draft Thread

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,473

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1941 » by Pattycakes » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:21 pm

Blazers request Ron Holland and Dalton Knecht are set aside, to make an anonymous Blazer fan really happy. It’s me
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#1942 » by King Ken » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:50 am

I wrote this in my BB thread:
It probably won't be till the combine that I provide another update but he's my takes so far.

30 guys with Tier 4 or better grades.
10 3.5 grades.

The most talented prospects are Collier and Sarr.

2 3.5 tier guys are upperclassmen. (Edey and Knecht) The first time this has happened since the 90s.

I would take a single player with a top 9 pick this year in this class in general.

This class reminds me of the 2020 class. Just that class had guys with lower floors and higher ceilings like Edwards and Ball. No one has that level of ceiling this year.

Best upperclassmen group since the 90s.

If it wasn't for upperclassmen, this would be one of the worst drafts ever and by far the worst modern class.

My biggest issue is this:
Collier and Sarr are the two gems talent-wise of this class. Sarr doesn't really have a position although I think he could possibly be a 3 as his shot comes along. Collier while very talented, ceiling is Baron Davis. It's not Anthony Edwards where his comp from me with an SG version of John Wall with a SG skill-set.

Reed and Dilly
I love both prospects and they have a high floor for freshmen but both players ceiling is questionable. If they hit, they will be studs but it's not likely and they really need to land in a great situation for both of their games.

Topic and Risacher

Risacher hits and he's a better Herb Jones, he doesn't and he's Tayshaun Price. Topic hits and he's a better Goran Dragic, he doesn't hit and he's a worse Goran Dragic. That said, is any of this really worth a top 9 pick?

Clingan and Edey

Drop defenders at the 5, neither provide much self-creation, and both while athletic for their size are both below average athletically for modern NBA 5s. That said, both are the two best players in this draft. One projects as a high-end 6th man who in some situations could be a stud and the other projects as a 4-5 option offensively who can pass a bit and he's defensively projected to be an excellent drop 5, day 1.

Buzelis, Williams, Holland, Smith, Salaun, Walter

Talented and play a position teams value but there is a chance, that everyone here is just a low-end rotational player at best. Holland has the best floor whereas Williams and Salaun have the best ceiling. Buzelis, Smith, and Walter are all talented guys but nothing really separates them or makes them as good as guys like A.J. Griffin or Jeremy Sochan.Sochan plays a lot but looks like a backup at best when the Spurs really want to start winning.

Castle, Knecht, Shannon Jr, D. Carter, Filipowski, Da Silva, Kolek

High-floor players who you just hope the ceiling is high like Desmond Bane. These guys play.
Filip is a PF with legitimate size who can pass, shoot, and dribble.
Castle is young and is an excellent player but will his shot translate is a serious question.
Shannon Jr has legal issues but he's a two-way player who can play either 2/3 in the pros who's ready to be a 6th man right now.
Knecht is the best offensive player in the draft, going to a team that needs a #3 option is key.
Carter is the best player at PG in this draft, if you use him exactly like Gabe Vincent, he could be that and some next year.
Da Silva is a legit scorer and I think he's a better rebounder than the numbers say due to his role at CU.
How Kolek adjusts to the NBA will say a lot but he should be ready to be a backup PG, day 1.

Chomche, Sallis, Dunn, Ware, Missi, George, Tyson, Klintman

The prayer zone. You just pray that this works.

Chomche's measurables at the World Games hurt him but his athletic ability is still intriguing
Sallis is mired with inconsistency but this talent is legit.
Dunn is an elite defensive prospect but his a negative offensive prospect. His shooting is Capela bad.
Ware has NBA talent and length but motor, health, effort, consistency, and mindset are questionable.
Missi is just too raw to be more than a Gleaguer for a while. A nice stasher.
George: See Missi
Tyson has a ways to go.
Klintman has a ways to go.

Bub Carrington and some of the raw prospects with nice potential will continue to move up.

I like this class but I would hate to have a 1-8 pick. Too many reaches in that range.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 752

Post#1943 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:16 pm

Risacher's tools are nowhere close to Herb Jones, what.

Edey self created most of his shots in college...
King Ken
General Manager

Post#1944 » by King Ken » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:23 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Risacher's tools are nowhere close to Herb Jones, what.

6'9.5 with a 6'11.5 wingspan v. 6'7 with a 7.0.25 wingspan? Huh?

Edey has the most 0-1 dribble shots in college basketball history. He is extremely assisted. Most centers are but Edey to an extreme degree.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#1945 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:14 pm

King Ken wrote:

Edey has the most 0-1 dribble shots in college basketball history. He is extremely assisted. Most centers are but Edey to an extreme degree.

Herb Jones' lateral quickness and hand-eye coordination is arguably the best in the NBA for his height+length.

Risacher's lateral quickness is very average and he has much worse explosion as well.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#1946 » by King Ken » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:03 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
King Ken wrote:

Herb Jones' lateral quickness and hand-eye coordination is arguably the best in the NBA for his height+length.

Risacher's lateral quickness is very average and he has much worse explosion as well.

That's fair. Risacher is an exceptional feel for the game on D and he's only 19. For someone that young, that usually means he projects as a high end role player and his offensive metrics are very good for a role player, especially his age playing pro
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#1947 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:45 pm

One thing to point out yesterday is that the Magic had historically bad guard play and Anthony Black couldn't sniff the rotation in even the first round of the playoffs.

This is despite

-Black being WAY smarter than Castle
-Black being much better at ball handling than Castle
-Black being WAY better at help defense than Castle
-Black being an elite elite flopper
-Black being the only true PG on the Magic roster other than Fultz (who only played 13 horrible minutes)
-Black being a comparable to better shooter than Castle

Because you're not really helpful in the NBA playoffs as a role player unless you're a center or you can bomb threes.

Castle is not playing NBA postseason minutes unless he shoots 37%+ from three on like 10 attempts per game.
RyugaFan
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#1948 » by RyugaFan » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:41 am

Nah Castle doesn't have to become an *elite* shooter to be a post-season contributor. He just has to get good enough to be guarded.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,452

Post#1949 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:02 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:One thing to point out yesterday is that the Magic had historically bad guard play and Anthony Black couldn't sniff the rotation in even the first round of the playoffs.

This is despite

-Black being the only true PG on the Magic roster other than Fultz (who only played 13 horrible minutes)

Because you're not really helpful in the NBA playoffs as a role player unless you're a center or you can bomb threes.

Castle is not playing NBA postseason minutes unless he shoots 37%+ from three on like 10 attempts per game.

But Fultz played in that game and didn't/doesn't bomb threes. Black didn't play because he's a 20 year old rookie and on a team that already lacks shooting, his coach is going to play the more experienced players.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#1950 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:20 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:One thing to point out yesterday is that the Magic had historically bad guard play and Anthony Black couldn't sniff the rotation in even the first round of the playoffs.

This is despite

But Fultz played in that game and didn't/doesn't bomb threes. Black didn't play because he's a 20 year old rookie and on a team that already lacks shooting, his coach is going to play the more experienced players.

Fultz played 13 awful minutes.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#1951 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:04 pm

Another point of comparison is that Dyson Daniels, who was a much better prospect than Castle is, got 3 total minutes in their first playoff game as a 2nd year player.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#1952 » by The-Power » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:29 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Another point of comparison is that Dyson Daniels, who was a much better prospect than Castle is, got 3 total minutes in their first playoff game as a 2nd year player.

Is anyone arguing that Castle will be a key rotation player on a playoff team in year one or two? What's your point? Also, the argument that the only role players who can get away with not being great 3pt shooters are Centers is demonstrably false. You need to bring other qualities to the table, sure, and most players need to at least be able to shoot open 3s somewhat reliably or else they will find it difficult to see minutes. But that's a far cry away from needing to ‘bomb 3s’.
MAGICian619
Bench Warmer
And1: 888

Post#1953 » by MAGICian619 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:24 pm

Anyone know when the draft order tie breakers are being done?

If going off historical timing, they should be taken care of this week.
RyugaFan
Ballboy

Post#1954 » by RyugaFan » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:18 pm

Alex Sarr is the most cucked #1 pick selection
RyugaFan
Ballboy

Post#1955 » by RyugaFan » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:20 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Another point of comparison is that Dyson Daniels, who was a much better prospect than Castle is, got 3 total minutes in their first playoff game as a 2nd year player.

Can we stop this hyperbole? Daniels wasn't even that good lol. In fact I think he was a materially worse offensive prospect than Castle.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,206

Post#1956 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:30 pm

RyugaFan wrote:Alex Sarr is the most cucked #1 pick selection

probably the worst #1 pick position since 2013 but who are you taking at #1?
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#1957 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:38 pm

RyugaFan wrote:

Can we stop this hyperbole? Daniels wasn't even that good lol. In fact I think he was a materially worse offensive prospect than Castle.

Other than your imagination about how you wish Castle had played on offense, I'm not really seeing how.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,883

Post#1958 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:04 pm

Is Perth basically as good as GLeague Ignite? slightly better perhaps? I see they split their 2 game series.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,269

Post#1959 » by Catchall » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:26 pm

clyde21 wrote:
RyugaFan wrote:Alex Sarr is the most cucked #1 pick selection

probably the worst #1 pick position since 2013 but who are you taking at #1?

I think Topic could still go #1 if he performs well, now that he's playing again. If Cody Williams shows up with a better body and impresses during pre-draft workouts, I think he could sneak back into the #1 pick conversation.

But yeah, Sarr probably goes #1 otherwise, and I think the team that gets the #1 is going to make a real effort to trade it.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,247

Post#1960 » by amcoolio » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:17 pm

I don't get the Sarr hate. Lot of overthinking here. He's the draft's best athlete, oh and also he's 7'1", also can handle the ball and dribble up the court at full speed, also is twitchy and mobile, and also has shown passing skills and ability to guard on the perimeter. NBA will open up a lot for him just like LaMelo coming from the NBL. Does he have a lot of work to do, with shooting and adding strength to his frame and defensive awareness? Yes, but this is no Wiseman level prospect. Sarr is several leagues ahead of Wiseman as a pro prospect who went #2 overall.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles

Return to NBA Draft