babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1801 » by babyjax13 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:29 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
don't believe that's how prognostication works. We gather all the information available to us then compare our knowledge and predictions to one another and discuss. Everyone has the same amount of time and access to info to arrive at an opinion. Once you make that opinion known before/on draft night that is your take. If you claim a draft class is weak that means it shouldn't approach the average number of all-nba (4), all-stars (6-7) and total starters (20+) most draft classes have. If it does, you're wrong. If you think it MIGHT have one or more of these things, you're free to claim it's average instead of weak. So sorry, no free passes :lol:

What isn't acceptable is for you all to say it's weak for a full year then if proven wrong, shrug your shoulders and then claim "well, who could have seen it?" or "he came out of nowhere" Like, if I declare this is a strong draft class on draft night, and it turns out to be terrible, I'll own it. I can't then say "well, he was never given a chance" or "he was a knucklehead with work ethic issues that never developed and how could I have predicted that?!"

The irony is I very well might agree with you all about it being weak come draft night. I'm worried that half the guys I expect to come out won't and if they don't then the class will take a major hit. I just mostly hate how for a year it's been "historically weak" from most of you before any of you saw these guys play and knew a dozen of the best prospects existed. It wreaks of you all reading a Givony Big Board and parroting his opinion.

Let's take a look at some Big Boards that likely informed much of this board's opinions about this class long before the season even began. And don't pretend otherwise, you got your opinions from somewhere and these were the drivers of the narratives that get regurgitated on here. I can go back through old posts if I must.

Givony Top 20 - ESPN (2/23/23) "This has been considered a weak incoming freshman class for some time, but the assumption was that reclassifications and late-bloomers would emerge to change the trajectory of the conversation, something that hasn't happened thus far."

1. Buzelis
2. Williams
3. Risacher
4. Edwards
5. Collier
6. Holland
7. Wagner
8. Coulibably
9. Evans
10. James
11. Bufkin
12. Walter
13. Johnson
14. Phillips
15. Clowney
16. Almansa
17. Sarr
18. Durisic
19. Arecenaux
20. Gueye

Wasserman - Bleacher Report (7/19/23)

1. Holland
2. Buzelis
3. Wagner
4. Edwards
5. Jackson
6. Collier
7. Clingan
8. Castle
9. Proctor
10. Ware
11. Foster
12. Risacher
13. Bradshaw
14. Darlan
15. Filipowski
16. Bona
17. Walter
18. Sarr
19. Mara
20. Ajinca
21. McCain
22. Mintz
23. Brazile
24. Almansa
25. Miller
26. Cadeau
27. Williams
28. da Silva
29. Booker
30. Mgbako

KOC - The Ringer (8/2/23) "many analysts have said this is a weak class, lacking top-end talent and depth...and to an extent, that's true"

1. Buzelis
2. Holland
3. Walter
4. Castle
5. Almansa
6. Mara
7. Cadeau
8. Edwards
9. Clingan
10. Proctor
11. Jackson
12. Foster
13. Wagner
14. Collier
15. Ajinca
16. Darlan
17. Sarr
18. McCain
19. Filipowski
20. Williams
21. Ware
22. Kugel
23. Buyuktuncel
24. Miller
25. Risacher
26. Klintman
27. Johnson
28. Brazile
29. Bona
30. Biliew

These boards were laughable then and they're even worse now. Now it makes sense why you all felt it was weak back then. The problem is, barely a 1/3 of the players on these boards are still considered first rounders. That means 2/3 of these boards are full of guys none of you considered when evaluating this class and its strength. THAT is why I've pushed back for months because as new and more information poured in, almost none of your opinions have changed one bit. This deserves pushback. All of these guys have updated their Big Boards to reflect most of these new additions (and subtractions) and it's a vastly different landscape, yet they've stuck with their original premise that it's a weak class. Seems odd.

Players they (and you) didn't consider as first round talents THEN that ARE first round talents NOW when they created the "weak" narrative

Topic
George
Furphy
Missi
Knecht
Watkins
Sheppard
Dillingham
Ivisic
Salaun
Smith
Carter
Carrington
Ighodaro
Mitchell
Grant-Foster

How does adding this much talent to the pool you were considering when deciding this was a weak class...NOT alter your opinion of this class? Most of these guys weren't even considered for 2nd rounders back then so it's not like you're just shuffling the deck chairs. These are legit additions to the talent pool. Even if you're still not convinced it has any potentially great players, you have to admit it's deep af right? There's still a slew of returners that likely go in the second round that should also make NBA rosters like Ware, Bona, Proctor, Shannon, Scheierman, Kolek, da Silva, Karaban, Halls, Sears, Dante, etc.

The thing is, though, a lot of the people you are arguing with have big boards and mocks posted based on watching games. Some players I expected to be good weren't (e.g., from watching some high school games I liked Castle, Edwards, and Williams --- but Edwards has been terrible...and he was the guy I felt like in high school had a chance to become a guy worthy of going 1 in an average draft), and others have stepped up and been good, yet it still doesn't look to have the high end talent of a lot of recent drafts to me. Using your metric of all-NBA, all-stars, and starters, I'd expect this to be below average in the first two categories and possibly average in the third. To me - and feel free to disagree - the quality of the draft is mostly determined by the top-end talent because that is ultimately what has the largest impact on the trajectory of the league. Even taking Wemby out of the equation, if any of Scoot/Amen/Miller were in this draft I would easily take them first. I think Ausar/Walker/Black would also be in the conversation. Hopefully, I'm wrong and you are right, I'd rather see a good draft than a bad one, but you are still beating on a strawman. We've seen most of these guys play, heck, I've posted links to some freely available international games for Saluan and Risacher so that other people could see them in professional game action, too ... so the problem is not that we haven't seen them play, it's that after seeing them the draft looks unimpressive.

Also note 2013

All-NBA: 3 (Giannis, Gobert, Oladipo)
All-Star: 3 (same)
Starters: approx. 13 depending on how you define

So by your metrics that's a pretty terrible draft.

these people decided this was a weak draft a year ago, based on evaluating a player pool that has since changed dramatically. I wouldn't care if people waited until now after watching all of these prospects (though it's STILL a little premature) and made a BIg Board and declared it weak. I might disagree but at least they would be evaluating the actual eventual first round prospects (not the guys everyone initially had in the first all those months ago) and after watching a full college season.

no argument about 2013. I get it. People really believe 2024 is as bad as that class. I stake my reputation on them being wrong.

Lots of people have their priors start with McDonald's All American, U18 and U19 --- which happens to overlap with recruiting service ratings --- because that is where we see these elite high school players in a context vs. other elite high school players. Some of them can't or won't adapt to other roles and flame out pretty bad (but sometimes they improve later in their college career). The fact that a big board at the beginning of the year wouldn't be close to a big board at the end of the year isn't a surprise. If you don't update it - you likely aren't watching the games.

The fact that different OAD guys replace other OAD guys at the top of boards also doesn't mean that the class has suddenly gotten better. It can - there are frequently unexpected freshman that end up being awesome (e.g., last year I started with Miller around 19 and that was way too low). I just don't see how any of this means that people aren't doing their own scouting, to the extent that a bunch of people with jobs and lives can recreationally?

It's completely fine that you disagree and think it is a good draft class - I hope you are right - but the combativeness with absolutely everyone and all the comments that essentially amount to "you all are Givony shills" is really annoying and doesn't reflect what is happening on the board.

I'm done with this discussion, though. Hopefully this board can be about the prospects again without people making things up about other posters. It's very, very old.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#1802 » by Jstock12 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:54 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Matas just has huge loser energy at all times, lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA_Draft/comments/1bqsyyb/matas_buzelis_says_risacher_does_not_want_to_1v1/

Huh. I guess we have different definitions, lol. I like players like that. Jimmy Butler mentality.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 818

Post#1803 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:44 pm

Jstock12 wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA_Draft/comments/1bqsyyb/matas_buzelis_says_risacher_does_not_want_to_1v1/

Huh. I guess we have different definitions, lol. I like players like that. Jimmy Butler mentality.

Taunting players who could not 1v1 you because their season isn't over when you just completed a terrible season in which you led your team to a 2-32 record is called being a loser.
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#1804 » by Jstock12 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:35 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:

Taunting players who could not 1v1 you because their season isn't over when you just completed a terrible season in which you led your team to a 2-32 record is called being a loser.

Lol what. That whole team was a dumpster fire. They weren't 2-32 because Matas dragged them down. Do you honestly think without Matas they would have been any better? Anyone with half a brain can see that whole team was tragic.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#1805 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:41 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:

Lol what. That whole team was a dumpster fire. They weren't 2-32 because Matas dragged them down. Do you honestly think without Matas they would have been any better? Anyone with half a brain can see that whole team was tragic.

They probably would have won more than 2 games if Matas could shoot and did anything leadership wise.
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#1806 » by Jstock12 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:41 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

They probably would have won more than 2 games if Matas could shoot and did anything leadership wise.

HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#1807 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:12 pm

Me, the dumbest man alive: "A team would be better than 2-32 if their best players didn't suck."
You, smart: "lol"

Matas shot 26% from three and played terrible defense and moped and played with a 0 motor a lot of the time. He and Holland pretty clearly deserve a lot of blame for how bad their team was.

Taking **** you never need to back up (because Risacher is still playing...) after you sucked for 6 months straight just seems like loser behavior. Make shots first before you talk ****.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,424

Post#1808 » by EmpireFalls » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:33 pm

Clingan might be a Gobert level defensive prospect hiding in plain sight.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,127

Post#1809 » by Colbinii » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:51 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:Clingan might be a Gobert level defensive prospect hiding in plain sight.

Eh, part of what makes Gobert so good right now is he is mobile. He was never a complete stiff and has decent lateral mobility compared to Clingan.

I think something around Walker Kessler or worse defensively but more offensive output makes more sense. Gobert was the best or 2nd best defensive player in the NBA for 7 years.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#1810 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:10 pm

Clingan has flashed Gobert like mobility over the last month now that he's finally in shape and healthy. I think he's the clear 2nd best prospect in the draft. First time all season any prospect has flashed star potential.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Post#1811 » by babyjax13 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:14 pm

I feel like Memphis and OKC should and will pick Filipowski and Clingan, just not sure who Memphis would prefer. Their defense is already pretty potent so maybe a guy who rebounds and can run some actions from the high post (and with a better chance of hitting some 3s) makes sense, but I do like Clingan more (not a ton more).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,898

Post#1812 » by TheSuzerain » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:53 pm

Filipkowski seems like a master of none who kind of half checks a lot of boxes. Doesn't seem very exciting.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 964

Post#1813 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:40 pm

Jon Scheyer is a fraud. I can't even give him the credit for recruiting since most of that is due to the Duke mystique and being on national television more than other programs. Flagg is so good he'll mask most of Scheyer's flaws but even he might not be good enough to overcome it. I'd advise guys to pull their commitments. At least with Calipari he has the plausible excuse that most OAD are knuckleheads and not ready to win. Scheyer has had a good mix of OAD and returners.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#1814 » by TheSuzerain » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:44 pm

Does McCain flirt with declaring?

Curious what Duke's lineup will be next year
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#1815 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:52 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
babyjax13 wrote: The thing is, though, a lot of the people you are arguing with have big boards and mocks posted based on watching games. Some players I expected to be good weren't (e.g., from watching some high school games I liked Castle, Edwards, and Williams --- but Edwards has been terrible...and he was the guy I felt like in high school had a chance to become a guy worthy of going 1 in an average draft), and others have stepped up and been good, yet it still doesn't look to have the high end talent of a lot of recent drafts to me. Using your metric of all-NBA, all-stars, and starters, I'd expect this to be below average in the first two categories and possibly average in the third. To me - and feel free to disagree - the quality of the draft is mostly determined by the top-end talent because that is ultimately what has the largest impact on the trajectory of the league. Even taking Wemby out of the equation, if any of Scoot/Amen/Miller were in this draft I would easily take them first. I think Ausar/Walker/Black would also be in the conversation. Hopefully, I'm wrong and you are right, I'd rather see a good draft than a bad one, but you are still beating on a strawman. We've seen most of these guys play, heck, I've posted links to some freely available international games for Saluan and Risacher so that other people could see them in professional game action, too ... so the problem is not that we haven't seen them play, it's that after seeing them the draft looks unimpressive.

Also note 2013

All-NBA: 3 (Giannis, Gobert, Oladipo)
All-Star: 3 (same)
Starters: approx. 13 depending on how you define

So by your metrics that's a pretty terrible draft.

these people decided this was a weak draft a year ago, based on evaluating a player pool that has since changed dramatically. I wouldn't care if people waited until now after watching all of these prospects (though it's STILL a little premature) and made a BIg Board and declared it weak. I might disagree but at least they would be evaluating the actual eventual first round prospects (not the guys everyone initially had in the first all those months ago) and after watching a full college season.

no argument about 2013. I get it. People really believe 2024 is as bad as that class. I stake my reputation on them being wrong.

Lots of people have their priors start with McDonald's All American, U18 and U19 --- which happens to overlap with recruiting service ratings --- because that is where we see these elite high school players in a context vs. other elite high school players. Some of them can't or won't adapt to other roles and flame out pretty bad (but sometimes they improve later in their college career). The fact that a big board at the beginning of the year wouldn't be close to a big board at the end of the year isn't a surprise. If you don't update it - you likely aren't watching the games.

The fact that different OAD guys replace other OAD guys at the top of boards also doesn't mean that the class has suddenly gotten better. It can - there are frequently unexpected freshman that end up being awesome (e.g., last year I started with Miller around 19 and that was way too low). I just don't see how any of this means that people aren't doing their own scouting, to the extent that a bunch of people with jobs and lives can recreationally?

It's completely fine that you disagree and think it is a good draft class - I hope you are right - but the combativeness with absolutely everyone and all the comments that essentially amount to "you all are Givony shills" is really annoying and doesn't reflect what is happening on the board.

I'm done with this discussion, though. Hopefully this board can be about the prospects again without people making things up about other posters. It's very, very old.

lol I'm not even sure if it's good, though I'm leaning that way. Try to keep up. It's just laughable that people declared it weak before or during the summer, based on completely different talent pool. Like, if you're basing your opinions largely on what little information was available (high school tape, draft guru mocks/Big Boards) last spring and the first round talent pool was full of Elmarko Jackson, Proctor, Brazile, Bronny, Edwards, Wagner, etc it's no wonder you'd find it weak. But over time, those frauds were replaced with actual first round talents and this didn't change a single person on this board's mind about this draft class. What does that tell you? It sure doesn't seem like good evaluating skills. Seems a lot like a narrative was born and people just can't come off it which deserves to be pointed out if not criticized imo

"I'm done with this discussion, though"

lmao good. You're sounding like the board's resident apologist and it's "really annoying". Nobody talks about prospects more than me on here. If that's what you care about I should be your favorite poster :lol:
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,267

Post#1816 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Apr 1, 2024 12:09 am

TheSuzerain wrote:Does McCain flirt with declaring?

McCain is a 6'2 pure SG. He can shoot, but I'm honestly not sure what his pro future is. He's strictly a backup at the pro level unless he can unlock some manner of playmaking that I haven't really seen. He's also a below average defender.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#1817 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Apr 1, 2024 12:59 am

I mean, he's likely going top 10 and certainly in the lottery. Why wouldn't he declare?
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#1818 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:05 am

Chuck Everett wrote:

McCain is a 6'2 pure SG. He can shoot, but I'm honestly not sure what his pro future is. He's strictly a backup at the pro level unless he can unlock some manner of playmaking that I haven't really seen. He's also a below average defender.

nah, there's potential for him to be a lead guard. He's close to 6'3" and he's very adept at running the PnR, getting penetration and kicking out and bringing the ball up the floor. That's pretty much all you need to do to be a PG in the NBA nowadays. I don't understand how people could watch guys like Brunson doing what he's doing and think McCain doesn't measure up. He's one of the guys with all-star upside from this draft. It's not his fault he played so much off-ball. He excelled at it but he kinda had to given their roster and how they ran three guard lineups all the time. He's an average at worst defender.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#1819 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:21 am

The Zach Edey thread has fallen lol
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,455

Post#1820 » by Big J » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:49 am

So tired of hearing about Edey. We might as well be talking about Bronny because their pro prospects are about the same.

Return to NBA Draft