Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:29 pm

I didn't see a thread or sticky, so here goes.

Mods, feel free to merge if one already exists.

Read on Twitter
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:49 pm

early impression is that it feels like a very underwhelming class overall but obv super early and we'll see how some of these guys develop over the course of the yr.

Buz is my guy tho, like what I've seen from Risacher the first time around I watched him, so looks like France is gonna have more guys go in the first after we might have 3 in 2023 (Vic, Rupert, Cissoko).

i also love how Givony tries to justify Bronny in the top10 (currently the 34th overall on 247, when was the last time a recruit this low was projected to go top 10?) by saying it's a crappy class. just man up and say what you're doing.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#3 » by CptCrunch » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:02 pm

Hasn't seen or read about these kids other than Bronny, just wanted to list the ESPN high school ranks for their mock draft. This year seems sleepy in terms of hyped up prospect. No one seemingly better than Cam Boozer in 2023 and 2024, I sleep.

Buzelis - #9
Williams - #6
Risacher - French LNB Pro A and Euroleague
Edwards - #1
Collier - #3
Holland - #5
Wagner - #2
Coulibaly - French LNB Pro A
Evans - #13
James - #28

edit: Also we can't play schringer's bronny here. Either he is top talent or he isn't. Align the mock drafts with his high school ranking. Unless Bronny comes attached to LeBron James at $20m/year or less, that's a no deal at #10.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#4 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:28 pm

i can only call it like i see it and i've seen buzelis in about 4 high level high school games and he's been underwhelming in all of them. it's a small sample, so i'm not saying anything definitive, but for now, i am not high on him.

my favorite prospect for 2024 so far is Isaiah Collier - that kid looks like the real deal.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#5 » by Big J » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:49 pm

Lol @ thinking Bronny will go 34 because he will only be drafted based on cold hard measureables and data. You guys realize that Vivek and other similar owners are still in the league right? Top 10 is definitely not a reach. It’s gonna be funny watching a lot of you punch air when he ends up being a lotto pick.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,692

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:01 pm

This class really is going to need someone to reclass or just make a massive jump or its going to be a very very weak draft.

When it comes to the Bronny thing, this is a response specifically to what Givony said in that video.

"He's improving at a rate I havent seen from any other player in this class."

Okay where? Saying things like he's gotten a little bit bigger, a little bit stronger, a little bit more explosive. He's describing pretty much 90% of the top recruits in high school basketball. Most of these guys do grow a little in high school and many do get stronger and more explosive as well. I dont know about the shooting, I cant find any shooting numbers for him this past year. The thing I see the most is comments like, "his jumper has good form and the potential is there". Doesnt sound like he is much of a knock down shooter yet. His handle hasnt improved enough to where he is an actual PG, he is still a combo guard that struggles to create any space off the dribble in the half court.

Id have a lot more respect for Givony with all of this, if he just says what Big J is saying. If he says something along the lines of, "from a player only standpoint he isnt a top 10 pick, but with this weak class and the marketing boost that a team will no doubt get if they take Bronny, I think he will go in the lotto."

Just dont give this dumb crap of, "he's improving at rates unlike anyone else in this class", while the vast majority of recruiting services still have him in the 30s and his statistical production is still pretty weak (13/5/2) and he is still not skilled enough to be a PG even though he's 6'3.

Back to the rest of this class, ya it looks like it is going to be pretty rough. With NIL now being part of college ball, I wont be shocked to see some guys that some might think would be OAD, decide to come back and make some money with NIL and also try and jump up in a very weak 2024 draft
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Post#7 » by peZt » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:33 pm

Givony and Schmitz have always been trash. According to them every european prospect is the next greatest thing ever and the word bust basically doesn't exist. Everyone is a future star (as long as their agent pays them)
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#8 » by big-shot-ROB » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:55 pm

When did these Draft Express guys become such sell-outs? Jeez
Also, what happened to The Stepien?
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
Big J
General Manager

Post#9 » by Big J » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:02 pm

They became sell-outs when they started getting paid for it. Who wouldn't pump up a prospect if they were handed an envelope of cash to do so?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:07 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:This class really is going to need someone to reclass or just make a massive jump or its going to be a very very weak draft.

When it comes to the Bronny thing, this is a response specifically to what Givony said in that video.

Okay where? Saying things like he's gotten a little bit bigger, a little bit stronger, a little bit more explosive. He's describing pretty much 90% of the top recruits in high school basketball. Most of these guys do grow a little in high school and many do get stronger and more explosive as well. I dont know about the shooting, I cant find any shooting numbers for him this past year. The thing I see the most is comments like, "his jumper has good form and the potential is there". Doesnt sound like he is much of a knock down shooter yet. His handle hasnt improved enough to where he is an actual PG, he is still a combo guard that struggles to create any space off the dribble in the half court.

Id have a lot more respect for Givony with all of this, if he just says what Big J is saying. If he says something along the lines of, "from a player only standpoint he isnt a top 10 pick, but with this weak class and the marketing boost that a team will no doubt get if they take Bronny, I think he will go in the lotto."

Just dont give this dumb crap of, "he's improving at rates unlike anyone else in this class", while the vast majority of recruiting services still have him in the 30s and his statistical production is still pretty weak (13/5/2) and he is still not skilled enough to be a PG even though he's 6'3.

Back to the rest of this class, ya it looks like it is going to be pretty rough. With NIL now being part of college ball, I wont be shocked to see some guys that some might think would be OAD, decide to come back and make some money with NIL and also try and jump up in a very weak 2024 draft

Naas reclassing should help it but even he isn't the prospect a lot of people thought he'd be a couple of yrs ago
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,692

Post#11 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:24 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:This class really is going to need someone to reclass or just make a massive jump or its going to be a very very weak draft.

Naas reclassing should help it but even he isn't the prospect a lot of people thought he'd be a couple of yrs ago

Ya I used to be really high on him, but he has really stalled as a prospect. I mean it is what it is, its just a weak class. There is a reason why anyone that follows high school hoops are so hyped off of Flagg and Boozer. Theyre sophmores who might already be the two best players in high school regardless of class. Either a kid needs to bump up out of nowhere, or when it comes to high school guys, it seems like its going to be waiting to see if Flagg reclassifies to the 2024 class (2025 draft class) or just wait for the 2025 class to get here when both Flagg and Boozer are here.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#12 » by Jstock12 » Wed Mar 1, 2023 3:00 pm

Isn't LeBron's younger son, Bryce James, the more talented of the two?
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#13 » by jman3134 » Wed Mar 1, 2023 3:07 pm

DJ Wagner FTW!
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Mar 1, 2023 3:13 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Isn't LeBron's younger son, Bryce James, the more talented of the two?

people say that, and it may even be true, but i'm not convinced. i'm not high on bronny at all, but bronny was getting rotation minutes on a stacked Sierra Canyon varsity team as a frosh, where Bryce was just playing JV ball as a freshman and still isn't playing much varsity even as a sophomore.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,893

Post#15 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 1, 2023 3:31 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Isn't LeBron's younger son, Bryce James, the more talented of the two?

People say it, not sure of it's relevance here.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#16 » by reanimator » Wed Mar 1, 2023 3:35 pm

If I'm Dillon Mitchell, Jalen Hood Schifino, Whitehead, Clowney, even GG (who should transfer) etc I take a very long look at coming back.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Mar 1, 2023 3:56 pm

reanimator wrote:If I'm Dillon Mitchell, Jalen Hood Schifino, Whitehead, Clowney, even GG (who should transfer) etc I take a very long look at coming back.

i agree with this. i can see mitchell or maybe clowney coming back, but probably not and the others are a lock to leave. another i'd suggest coming back to is proctor and i think he might.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#18 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 1, 2023 4:29 pm

GG/DWH absolutely should not return, Mitchell and JHS I'd say yes
Big J
General Manager

Post#19 » by Big J » Wed Mar 1, 2023 4:54 pm

Yes, Bryce is gonna be a monster. Just watch some of his BallisLife YouTube clips and you will be a convert.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Mar 1, 2023 7:48 pm

Big J wrote:

Yes, Bryce is gonna be a monster. Just watch some of his BallisLife YouTube clips and you will be a convert.

i bet he shoots 100% FGs in those videos and never turns it over. basically MJ tbh.

Return to NBA Draft