2024 NBA Draft Thread

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1661 » by EMG518 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:38 pm

2025 needs to be a better year. This is really not good.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,686

Post#1662 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:09 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:Jon Scheyer is not a good coach. He's clearly a great recruiter though and when he gets a massive talent edge over everyone he'll win and we'll have to hear about how good a coach he is. Probably next year with Flagg. But man, losing 9 games with this roster is pretty incredible. I know they miss Caleb Foster and his defense but still. I feel like coaches have to stop rewarding guys like Roach and Ellis when they return because they not only get in the way of giving the OAD minutes but they hurt winning. Both are just terrible defenders and instead of relegating them to bench units they're rewarded out of loyalty with starter minutes. I've never seen it work out.

USC has to fire their coach. What a disastrous season for that program. Collier was throwing a fit it was so bad. Not that he has anyone else to blame. In a two minute stretch he twice failed to box out and let his guy slip past him for an offensive rebound put back. Two huge buckets too and that's when they game got out of hand. He's falling on my board. I'd need to see him dominate at the combine and measure very well to put him in the top 10 at this point.

I will say this, not defending Scheyer this year because I think he had a real rough year. The only thing I will pushback on is missing Foster and especially his defense. Foster had a real rough year, especially on the defensive end. He was one of the worst defensive freshman Ive seen come through Duke in awhile. Foster has a ways to go on the defensive end and he needs to speed up his jump shot. Right now its a pretty slow and low push shot. He does have a nice floater though.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,022

Post#1663 » by Chi town » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:05 am

Can we talk about Shannon?

Kid is hooping.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#1664 » by ItsDanger » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:44 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
Chi town wrote:Cody Williams playing like he’s undraftable.

:lol:

This draft is sad man. All these prospects honestly look like high end role players at best. I don't see any potential star from this draft.

I read this kind of comment a lot on here. There is only ONE ball. If you have 2-3 top end scorers already, getting a high end role player may be preferable. Get your scorer in 2025 otherwise.

This short term thinking and need for instant results will just lead to disappointment.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#1665 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:37 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:Jon Scheyer is not a good coach. He's clearly a great recruiter though and when he gets a massive talent edge over everyone he'll win and we'll have to hear about how good a coach he is. Probably next year with Flagg. But man, losing 9 games with this roster is pretty incredible. I know they miss Caleb Foster and his defense but still. I feel like coaches have to stop rewarding guys like Roach and Ellis when they return because they not only get in the way of giving the OAD minutes but they hurt winning. Both are just terrible defenders and instead of relegating them to bench units they're rewarded out of loyalty with starter minutes. I've never seen it work out.

USC has to fire their coach. What a disastrous season for that program. Collier was throwing a fit it was so bad. Not that he has anyone else to blame. In a two minute stretch he twice failed to box out and let his guy slip past him for an offensive rebound put back. Two huge buckets too and that's when they game got out of hand. He's falling on my board. I'd need to see him dominate at the combine and measure very well to put him in the top 10 at this point.

I will say this, not defending Scheyer this year because I think he had a real rough year. The only thing I will pushback on is missing Foster and especially his defense. Foster had a real rough year, especially on the defensive end. He was one of the worst defensive freshman Ive seen come through Duke in awhile. Foster has a ways to go on the defensive end and he needs to speed up his jump shot. Right now its a pretty slow and low push shot. He does have a nice floater though.

I honestly cannot imagine what you were seeing watching them all year to come to this conclusion. Foster is easily, and not even close, their best defensive guard mostly because he's the biggest and most switchable. McCain is average and both Roach and Proctor were massive liabilities. Foster needs a lot of work on offense. I hate his shot. It's very ugly and he has no mid-range game at all. He's a guy that really needs to improve if he wants to be drafted next season.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,503

Post#1666 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:00 am

Where does Kyshawn George rank in this draft?

Seeing his scouting report and a 6'8 wing with guard skills has me intrigued. I haven't watched Miami at all this year though.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#1667 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:11 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Where does Kyshawn George rank in this draft?

Seeing his scouting report and a 6'8 wing with guard skills has me intrigued. I haven't watched Miami at all this year though.

Late lotto. Tons to like.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,962

Post#1668 » by BigGargamel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:28 pm

Chi town wrote:Can we talk about Shannon?

Kid is hooping.

As far as fifth year seniors go I'm taking Shannon over McCullar and not even thinking twice about it.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#1669 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:44 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

:lol:

This draft is sad man. All these prospects honestly look like high end role players at best. I don't see any potential star from this draft.

I read this kind of comment a lot on here. There is only ONE ball. If you have 2-3 top end scorers already, getting a high end role player may be preferable. Get your scorer in 2025 otherwise.

This short term thinking and need for instant results will just lead to disappointment.

Almost everyone in this draft projects to have pretty limited defensive upside other than Dunn, Sarr, and maybe Holland and no one has much shooting upside other than Sheppard.

Yes, you can a guy who can be a #4 on a good team with your top 4 pick but uhhhhhhhhh, that sucks?

"Don't be greedy, after a 15-67 season, you can draft Risacher, who can be a 6/10 defender in the NBA who shoots 37% from three, scoring 13 PPG" I mean, OK.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,962

Post#1670 » by BigGargamel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:30 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote: :lol:

Almost everyone in this draft projects to have pretty limited defensive upside other than Dunn, Sarr, and maybe Holland and no one has much shooting upside other than Sheppard.

Yes, you can a guy who can be a #4 on a good team with your top 4 pick but uhhhhhhhhh, that sucks?

"Don't be greedy, after a 15-67 season, you can draft Risacher, who can be a 6/10 defender in the NBA who shoots 37% from three, scoring 13 PPG" I mean, OK.

LOL. I can see super casual fans of teams like the Pistons or Spurs who know nothing about draft prospects getting super excited after winning the lottery, thinking they're getting another Wemby. Only to find out it's Anthony Bennett vs. Nerlens Noel.

Wasting a whole season to draft a role player first overall is a gut punch. But...the draft is just that way sometimes.

I do think this draft will have quite a bit of long term contributors...it's just the top is so weak.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#1671 » by The-Power » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:53 pm

NYPiston wrote:

He's the definition of "mid". I have no idea what anybody sees in him that would make him a top 5 prospect even in a generationally bad draft such as this one. Colorado didn't even have him on the court in crunch time.

He's just returned from injury, so it makes sense for him to be rusty and for the team to limit his minutes (he also didn't start these games even though he was a starter all year for them).

Cody Williams is a draft gamble. Right now, he's not a good player. Too weak physically which hurts him on both ends, too sloppy with the ball to have him handle it a bunch, too inconsistent shooting the ball, and not an elite motor either. You draft him for what he could be if he hits, which is a 6'8 crafty wing that plays both ends.

He has something that players who don't already have it usually don't learn later on which is creation and scoring creativity – a key feature of most NBA on-ball creators. But he has a lot to improve in terms of skills and especially physicality for it to be usefully applied.

Maybe he never does and therefore never amounts to anything in the NBA. In this draft, however, the upside warrants a high pick IMO. How high? That can of course be debated. I'm not challenging someone who's not comfortable drafting him in the top 5 because that's fair enough (mind you that this is something that can be said for all top prospects this year).
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,686

Post#1672 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:22 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I honestly cannot imagine what you were seeing watching them all year to come to this conclusion. Foster is easily, and not even close, their best defensive guard mostly because he's the biggest and most switchable. McCain is average and both Roach and Proctor were massive liabilities. Foster needs a lot of work on offense. I hate his shot. It's very ugly and he has no mid-range game at all. He's a guy that really needs to improve if he wants to be drafted next season.

Just because youre big doesnt mean youre switchable. You can go back to the GT loss where at the end over and over again Foster ended up defending no one in the PnR and GT continued to abuse him for that in the end of the game. Or for the fact that he struggled to keep anyone in front of him. Or for the fact all the stats backup what Im saying as well. Because Foster ended up with the worst DBPM, Defensive Rating, and DRAPM out of all the rotation players for Duke.

I like Foster's potential at the college level, but ya he was horrible on the defensive end all year long.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#1673 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:27 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Just because youre big doesnt mean youre switchable. You can go back to the GT loss where at the end over and over again Foster ended up defending no one in the PnR and GT continued to abuse him for that in the end of the game. Or for the fact that he struggled to keep anyone in front of him. Or for the fact all the stats backup what Im saying as well. Because Foster ended up with the worst DBPM, Defensive Rating, and DRAPM out of all the rotation players for Duke.

I like Foster's potential at the college level, but ya he was horrible on the defensive end all year long.

all cap. misleading and often useless advanced stats mean zilch to me especially as it pertains to college basketball. I'll just say I categorically disagree with you and we'll have to agree to disagree
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#1674 » by JMAC3 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:47 pm

Just a general food for thought... scoring is underrated when we look at prospects.

Whether people want to admit it or not. Scoring is the #1 skill in basketball. I feel like we have such a backwards view when we analyze it because there are like 5 good scorers who aren't good players that it has become some prophetical idea that scoring isn't everything.

There is a reason that the best players in the game are the best scorers. Flat out. If you look at the 50 best scorers, like 40 of them are top 50 players. But instead of just having the easy macro view that Scoring=Good player, we try to nitpick and look at the handful of guys that don't meet that standard.

Especially for players who aren't centers.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#1675 » by JMAC3 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:16 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Just a general food for thought... scoring is underrated when we look at prospects.

Whether people want to admit it or not. Scoring is the #1 skill in basketball. I feel like we have such a backwards view when we analyze it because there are like 5 good scorers who aren't good players that it has become some prophetical idea that scoring isn't everything.

There is a reason that the best players in the game are the best scorers. Flat out. If you look at the 50 best scorers, like 40 of them are top 50 players. But instead of just having the easy macro view that Scoring=Good player, we try to nitpick and look at the handful of guys that don't meet that standard.

Obviously, there are outliers, but if you had to guess if you took all 362 college teams how many of them do you think their best overall player is there best scorer.
Big Board
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#1676 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:33 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Just a general food for thought... scoring is underrated when we look at prospects.

This is definitely selection bias, lol.

Darius McGhee is an elite shooter and good scorer who will never sniff the NBA because of lack of physical tools. He can't even get off the bench in the G-League.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#1677 » by JMAC3 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:39 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:

This is definitely selection bias, lol.

Darius McGhee is an elite shooter and good scorer who will never sniff the NBA because of lack of physical tools. He can't even get off the bench in the G-League.

Yeah he was the 3 POY in his conference, basically saying he was the best player on his team and one of the best players in college basketball.

He is also 5-9.
Big Board
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#1678 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:05 pm

I love how ridiculously every NBA Draft person overhypes random prospects to declare them as a part of the future.

Jaden Ivey is definitely set as PG of the future for the Pistons? You sure about that?
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#1679 » by The-Power » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:10 am

JMAC3 wrote:There is a reason that the best players in the game are the best scorers. Flat out. If you look at the 50 best scorers, like 40 of them are top 50 players.

While I agree that scoring ability is important, I'd contest that statement. If you define ‘best scorers’ as ‘those players that score the most’ you are getting a bit closer to that statement being true (still very much hyperbole) but that completely misses that the best players tend to get the most minutes and get the more opportunities with the ball in their hands (for which scoring ability is one reason, but certainly not the whole story). So naturally the scoring averages of the best players are going to be relatively higher even if other generally inferior players are better strictly at putting the ball in the basket.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#1680 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:35 pm

Virginia scored 18 points in the first 25 minutes of their tournament game.

I don't think Ryan Dunn is going to help you win basketball games.

Return to NBA Draft