G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,711

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1701 » by G R E Y » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:53 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:For some reason I think the Spurs are going to draft Edey even if they get the #1 pick.

Just feels like a Pop kind of pick. I think the size of those 2 could really create matchup problems. He once had Duncan/Robinson twin towers. Maybe this could be his next experiment?

No.

There has to be a level of versatile skill especially at #1. Edey is what he is in large part already. And given we value D foundations, what does he bring besides blocks and boards but can be taken away from the rim and exploited? Older, plodding, not great rim touch, not floor spreading... Not a Spurs type at all.

I'd eat my hat if we did this.

I have a feeling if we get #1 we either take Risacher or Sarr or may just trade it for upgrades. Is there a guy out there right now that's worth the salary and investment at #1?

I hope the Spurs go all out for a star. This isn't really a draft were I see a legit sidekick for Wemby.

I personally would love to see them go all in on Trae Young.

Agree about upgrades in the quality range unavailable in this draft.

The All Star interaction between Wemby and Trae was perhaps an audition of sorts, just seeing how they mesh initially on a human level.

I initially said we need to upgrade the 1 and desperately the 3 (where the Risacher interest comes) but I'm adding the 4 as well. Not completely sure about Sochan for reasons too long to get into here. So lots of work to do this off-season.

As for Trae, he's a definite quality upgrade but it depends on what 'all in' means. That includes Klutch who will get their marquee players where they want.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#1702 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:53 pm

G R E Y wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:For some reason I think the Spurs are going to draft Edey even if they get the #1 pick.

Just feels like a Pop kind of pick. I think the size of those 2 could really create matchup problems. He once had Duncan/Robinson twin towers. Maybe this could be his next experiment?

No.

There has to be a level of versatile skill especially at #1. Edey is what he is in large part already. And given we value D foundations, what does he bring besides blocks and boards but can be taken away from the rim and exploited? Older, plodding, not great rim touch, not floor spreading... Not a Spurs type at all.

I have a feeling if we get #1 we either take Risacher or Sarr or may just trade it for upgrades. Is there a guy out there right now that's worth the salary and investment at #1?

If Edey ends up in San Antonio it wont be with the Spurs FRP - if anything it would be a trade down from the TOR FRP where they get a future FRP and move down to the middle to late teens and snag him.

Zach simply is too susceptible to being PNR'd to death to go higher than the middle of the 1st round.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Post#1703 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:56 pm

G R E Y wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
G R E Y wrote:No.

I hope the Spurs go all out for a star. This isn't really a draft were I see a legit sidekick for Wemby.

The All Star interaction between Wemby and Trae was perhaps an audition of sorts, just seeing how they mesh initially on a human level.

I initially said we need to upgrade the 1 and desperately the 3 (where the Risacher interest comes) but I'm adding the 4 as well. Not completely sure about Sochan for reasons too long to get into here. So lots of work to do this off-season.

As for Trae, he's a definite quality upgrade but it depends on what 'all in' means. That includes Klutch who will get their marquee players where they want.

Trae played at Oklahoma. He doesn't strike me as a big market guy. I think he would love to end up in San Antonio personally.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,445

Post#1704 » by Big J » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:33 pm

Yea, Spurs should trade their pick in this draft. They need win now guys. I get not wanting to rush the rebuild, but some guys a la Duncan, Bird, Wade are ready in their 2nd year. Better than waiting until Wemby is on a Supermax salary and you can't pay anyone else.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#1705 » by King Ken » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:26 pm

G R E Y wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
G R E Y wrote:No.

We don't want to trade Trae. We need him for short and long term. If you want Murray back for our picks back, that's something we can work on.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#1706 » by G R E Y » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:34 pm

King Ken wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:I hope the Spurs go all out for a star. This isn't really a draft were I see a legit sidekick for Wemby.

We don't want to trade Trae. We need him for short and long term. If you want Murray back for our picks back, that's something we can work on.

Oh ok about Trae. There were some weird signals at some point that now seem to have died down.

Heck no to a swap back of those same picks fo Murray in particular, and no to Murray in general.

Good luck with your off-season though. One of several teams with big decisions to make.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#1707 » by King Ken » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:39 pm

G R E Y wrote:
King Ken wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Agree about upgrades in the quality range unavailable in this draft.

Oh ok about Trae. There were some weird signals at some point that now seem to have died down.

Heck no to a swap back of those same picks fo Murray in particular, and no to Murray in general.

Good luck with your off-season though. One of several teams with big decisions to make.

We gotta win so that's gonna cost but if we aren't going to get a good deal, I don't see many moves for us to make. We do have JC TPE. That should help and the owners don't mind paying the LT next year.

I think A.J. Griffin could be had for a 1st in this draft. He had a tremendous rookie year for where he was drafted in the mid 1st.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#1708 » by G R E Y » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:39 pm

Big J wrote:Yea, Spurs should trade their pick in this draft. They need win now guys. I get not wanting to rush the rebuild, but some guys a la Duncan, Bird, Wade are ready in their 2nd year. Better than waiting until Wemby is on a Supermax salary and you can't pay anyone else.

I feel like if we can find a right balance between acquiring some experienced players so we can develop incoming draft picks in a way that doesn't have them start and does not have us playing through their growing pain mistakes, that's the way to go forward.

We're not yet in a position to acquire top tier additions on a supermax or near it contracts. That's the sort of thing that can handcuff a rebuild. But there's a ton of variables in play and directions to consider.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,445

Post#1709 » by Big J » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:53 pm

G R E Y wrote:
Big J wrote:Yea, Spurs should trade their pick in this draft. They need win now guys. I get not wanting to rush the rebuild, but some guys a la Duncan, Bird, Wade are ready in their 2nd year. Better than waiting until Wemby is on a Supermax salary and you can't pay anyone else.

I feel like if we can find a right balance between acquiring some experienced players so we can develop incoming draft picks in a way that doesn't have them start and does not have us playing through their growing pain mistakes, that's the way to go forward.

We're not yet in a position to acquire top tier additions on a supermax or near it contracts. That's the sort of thing that can handcuff a rebuild. But there's a ton of variables in play and directions to consider.

Yea, but think about it, the team has the ability to sign a Supermax & another near max guy along with Wemby. That won't even be possible when he is eligible for his extension.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#1710 » by G R E Y » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:05 pm

Big J wrote:
G R E Y wrote:

Yea, but think about it, the team has the ability to sign a Supermax & another near max guy along with Wemby. That won't even be possible when he is eligible for his extension.

Many a team has faltered by expediting around a star.

We really don't need expensive top tier talent. We have a backup PG starting, and an undrafted guy starting at the 3. So it's not even top tier talent that would be upgrades there (and I really like Tre, but it is what it is given his limitations).

I'm not even disagreeing with you in general, just that we have a couple of years to go the route you're suggesting. It doesn't have to be for next season.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#1711 » by CptCrunch » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:18 am

Jared McCain would go top 5 if he was 6'6" tsk.

Failed by his height.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#1712 » by XTC » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:35 am

Anyone really like Devin Carter? He screams 3+D to me. Lots of Marcus Smart, Derrick White, and Danny Green in his game.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#1713 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:05 am

CptCrunch wrote:Jared McCain would go top 5 if he was 6'6" tsk.

Failed by his height.

that's a lot of people in this class
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#1714 » by Upperclass » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:19 am

Foster from GCU should go top 5.. he probably won't even go first round.. but his athleticism and natural IQ is extremely high
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#1715 » by CoreyVillains » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:46 am

;si=BLhLtHJNihwbD-Mq

Sat down with a bunch of the Ignite guys recently to break down film. Big fan of Tyler Smith’s game. Easy plug and play forward.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#1716 » by G R E Y » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:29 am

For those who know better, what makes Topic a top 5 projected pick and Juan Nunez a 2nd rounder?
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#1717 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:38 am

Upperclass wrote:Foster from GCU should go top 5.. he probably won't even go first round.. but his athleticism and natural IQ is extremely high

if he was a freshmen he probably would be unfortunately he had a very curious journey and is now 23 y/o. As for his BBIQ it's just about the worst you'll ever see. He's all over the place, turnover prone and is constantly doing too much. But man, the guy has unquestionable NBA wing size, talent and athleticism. He also has a high motor and plays defense too. I think his shot can be fixed and in the NBA he'll be a slasher and transition scorer with some ISO on switches so the BBIQ can be mitigated until it's coached out of him if that's even possible. I think when you get to the end of the 1st round and into the 2nd there are very few guys I'd rather take over him because most of those guys are also older but they don't have his physical gifts. He definitely has starter upside. I wonder who will take a chance on him.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#1718 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:43 am

G R E Y wrote:For those who know better, what makes Topic a top 5 projected pick and Juan Nunez a 2nd rounder?

Topic, despite seemingly lacking great athleticism, has an uncanny ability to penetrate and finish at the basket. It portends more trips to the line and more kick outs to open shooters than what you might get from Nunez. His 8 inch neck also makes him a couple of inches taller :lol:

I think it's a case of Nunez being underrated more than it is Topic being so much better tbh. I think both have the potential to be starting point guards. Both are very good passers that can put pressure on defenses in the PnR and neither are going to likely be great defenders. I trust Nunez' shooting more than Topic. The combine is going to be fun because there's so many guys we haven't got a whole lot of tape on that should be there on the same floor with guys we're more familiar with.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#1719 » by G R E Y » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:56 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
G R E Y wrote:For those who know better, what makes Topic a top 5 projected pick and Juan Nunez a 2nd rounder?

Topic, despite seemingly lacking great athleticism, has an uncanny ability to penetrate and finish at the basket. It portends more trips to the line and more kick outs to open shooters than what you might get from Nunez. His 8 inch neck also makes him a couple of inches taller :lol:

I think it's a case of Nunez being underrated more than it is Topic being so much better tbh. I think both have the potential to be starting point guards. Both are very good passers that can put pressure on defenses in the PnR and neither are going to likely be great defenders. I trust Nunez' shooting more than Topic. The combine is going to be fun because there's so many guys we haven't got a whole lot of tape on that should be there on the same floor with guys we're more familiar with.

Thanks yeah it's the wide discrepancy in rankings that I question given that their games don't seem that far apart. Nunez even averages more APG. Topic seems a bit faster, more herky jerky, but he has a weird upright stance and body movement (to go along with his weirdly long neck).

Maybe the competition level is higher for Topic so he does what he does versus tougher opponents? I don't know...

But like if I could get Nunez in the 2nd round I wouldn't be sad about not having to pay Topic top 5 guaranteed contract. Especially in a draft like this, there seem to be a lot of players that don't have special standout features that no one else has.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Post#1720 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:13 am

This feels like a draft the best player will come from the 2nd round of the draft.

Return to NBA Draft