Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,058

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#41 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:35 pm

zike_42 wrote:Proctor returning to Duke. What's his forecast for next draft?

I think it will mostly depend on his 3pt shot. I dont personally buy the 6'5 listing for him, but he is still a solid sized PG. Also not a great athlete. But he does play at his own speed and came into his own running the point to end the year (about a 4:1 assist to turnover ratio the last 10 games).

I do think he can creep into the lotto next year if that 3pt shot is around that 40% mark and he keeps up the good PG play. Because he also was a fantastic defender the 2nd half of the year.

But ya the lack of elite 1st step, and not having too dynamic of a handle and not being a huge PG (like a Giddy) I think limits his ceiling some.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,299

Post#42 » by Hal14 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:40 pm

zike_42 wrote:Proctor returning to Duke. What's his forecast for next draft?

Depends what kind of leap he makes. Could end up going lottery next year.

Could end up returning for junior season.

Proctor would have likely been a mid to late 2nd rounder if he declared this year. I had Caleb Love and Harrison Ingram as mid to late 2nd rounders if they declared last year. Stock dropped for both of them this season and they'll be back in college again next year.

So hard to say.

Terquavion smith, I had him as a late 1st or early 2nd rounder last year. He returned and now I have him as a mid 2nd rounder..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,432

Post#43 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:52 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Thought I’d give this a little bump with the all American game tomorrow.

The practices have been going on (which are viewed as the more important aspects of the week) and from what it sounds like, no standouts so far. Which isn’t surprising with how weak the class is viewed.

it'll come down to returning players and the international scene to give the class a bump

Yup. The reports I’ve read from the weekend practices. The #1 spot is still up for grabs between like 6-8 guys. That’s never a great thing when you’re dealing with that this late in a recruiting class.

From the reports I’ve read, Wagner has looked good, McCain has looked good (not in contention for #1 in the class obviously), Bronny has just looked solid. But ya no one really separating themselves.

Definitely wouldn’t be shocked if we only see like 1 or 2 college freshman in the top 5 of next year’s draft.

bronny needs to enjoy these no-defense all star games because high level d1 ball is going to eat him alive.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,274

Post#44 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:36 pm

returning to college is risky, because if you're essentially the same player as a sophomore (for whatever reason) that could almost kill your stock as a prospect.

there needs to be legitimate improvement, either physically, production wise, efficiency wise, for coming back to really boost a prospect.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,477

Post#45 » by Big J » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:34 am

What do you guys think Bronny will be making in endorsements & NIL deals?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#46 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:44 am

Big J wrote:What do you guys think Bronny will be making in endorsements & NIL deals?

At minimum 7 figures
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,419

Post#47 » by azcatz11 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:47 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Big J wrote:What do you guys think Bronny will be making in endorsements & NIL deals?

At minimum 7 figures

Yep. No doubt. That's for sure why he hasn't committed yet either. Weighing his options. I do know there are quite a lot of programs who don't want him because of the **** show that will come with him.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he transfers after his first year
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,477

Post#48 » by Big J » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:02 am

azcatz11 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

At minimum 7 figures

Yep. No doubt. That's for sure why he hasn't committed yet either. Weighing his options. I do know there are quite a lot of programs who don't want him because of the **** show that will come with him.

Think of all the money the school will generate off of him though. He’s the most hyped high school athlete possibly of all time.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,419

Post#49 » by azcatz11 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:14 am

Big J wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:At minimum 7 figures

Think of all the money the school will generate off of him though. He’s the most hyped high school athlete possibly of all time.

Yep - I agree. I just think some schools will pass based on not wanting to deal with it.

But yes, they will generate a ton. If he ends up at Ohio St they will have every game on ESPN / CBS / etc. If he's actually good, it will be a must watch every night.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#50 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:43 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Thought I’d give this a little bump with the all American game tomorrow.

The practices have been going on (which are viewed as the more important aspects of the week) and from what it sounds like, no standouts so far. Which isn’t surprising with how weak the class is viewed.

the people that are saying "how weak the class is" get it wrong every year then that gets regurgitated on here and despite you all being wrong all the time you keep doing it. You'd think you'd eventually learn your lesson. 2023 is weak. 2024 is loaded aka the opposite of the prevailing narrative.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,135

Post#51 » by The-Power » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:58 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:

the people that are saying "how weak the class is" get it wrong every year then that gets regurgitated on here and despite you all being wrong all the time you keep doing it. You'd think you'd eventually learn your lesson. 2023 is weak. 2024 is loaded aka the opposite of the prevailing narrative.

Here's what you called the previous draft classes:

2017 – all-time great
2018 – all-time great
2019 – good
2020 – good
2021 – weaker than 2020 but still deep
2022 – great
2023 – weak (now) / pretty decent (late January)
2024 – loaded

At some point, calling most draft classes varying degrees of good or great doesn't make a lot of sense. Because for the draft, ‘good’ or ‘great’ is inherently comparative. If everything is good then nothing is. You complain that every year people are complaining about how weak the class is (which definitely isn't true but let's put that aside), yet here you are on the other side of it describing virtually all draft classes in very positive terms. That's not very meaningful either.

I bet that virtually everyone who describes a draft class as ‘good’, ‘weak’, ‘great’ ‘ deep’, ‘shallow’ or what have you understands that a) it can change over the course of the season with prospects breaking or flaming out; b) it can change with the benefit of hindsight depending on player development; and c) every weak class still has good players and some positive attributes, just as every strong draft has some negative attributes.

I'm not sure why every single year you complain about other people assessing the strength of draft classes based on their opinions. You can disagree with these assessments but it feels futile to get all up in arms year after year about something that is inherently subjective and highly unreliable either way (good or bad).
clyde21
RealGM

Post#52 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:52 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:

2024 is loaded based on what exactly? break it down for us what is everyone missing that you're not.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#53 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:20 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:

Cool tell us about the studs on this class then. I would love to have this class be stacked, Duke has 5 guys in the top 20. I would love to have 5 guys in the top 20 of a stacked class joining a team with a returning Proctor, Mitchell and possibly Flip.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#54 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:34 pm

The-Power wrote:
2017 – all-time great
2018 – all-time great
2019 – good
2020 – good
2022 – great
2024 – loaded

the fact that he called 21 weak but 22 strong is the best part
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#55 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:57 pm

I’ll say this to prop up my guy. I know it was just a 3pt contest, but McCain is a legit sharpshooter and put on a show last night.

The dude is a 90% FT shooter this past year, and that shot is clean and quick. I don’t buy the 6’4 listed height for him though, I think he’s closer to 6’2 than 6’4.

But ya from all reports he has had one of the more impressive weekends.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#56 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:53 am

clyde21 wrote:
The-Power wrote:
2017 – all-time great
2018 – all-time great
2019 – good
2020 – good
2022 – great
2024 – loaded

reeeeeee. Imagine NOT thinking 2022 is strong and imagine writing it off after 1 year. Good Lord. How embarrassing you are. Too funny
clyde21
RealGM

Post#57 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:57 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
The-Power wrote:
2017 – all-time great
2018 – all-time great
2019 – good
2020 – good
2022 – great
2024 – loaded

reeeeeee. Imagine NOT thinking 2022 is strong and imagine writing it off after 1 year. Good Lord. How embarrassing you are. Too funny

still waiting for u to explain why 24 is loaded
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#58 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:10 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

Cool tell us about the studs on this class then. I would love to have this class be stacked, Duke has 5 guys in the top 20. I would love to have 5 guys in the top 20 of a stacked class joining a team with a returning Proctor, Mitchell and possibly Flip.

Holland
Collier
Foster
Mara
Risacher
Bradshaw
Wagner
Buzelis
Cunningham
Coulibaly
Sarr
Edwards

And I'm sure there will be several more to join this group by this time next season. This is definitely one of the strongest international classes I've seen. Several of these guys will take some time to develop but there's some real high upside to them.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#59 » by jman3134 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:16 am

No one liked the high level McDonald's game tonight? DJ Wagner needs more respect.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#60 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:28 am

The-Power wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

Here's what you called the previous draft classes:

2017 – all-time great
2018 – all-time great
2019 – good
2020 – good
2022 – great
2024 – loaded

At some point, calling most draft classes varying degrees of good or great doesn't make a lot of sense. Because for the draft, ‘good’ or ‘great’ is inherently comparative. If everything is good then nothing is. You complain that every year people are complaining about how weak the class is (which definitely isn't true but let's put that aside), yet here you are on the other side of it describing virtually all draft classes in very positive terms. That's not very meaningful either.

I bet that virtually everyone who describes a draft class as ‘good’, ‘weak’, ‘great’ ‘ deep’, ‘shallow’ or what have you understands that a) it can change over the course of the season with prospects breaking or flaming out; b) it can change with the benefit of hindsight depending on player development; and c) every weak class still has good players and some positive attributes, just as every strong draft has some negative attributes.

I'm not sure why every single year you complain about other people assessing the strength of draft classes based on their opinions. You can disagree with these assessments but it feels futile to get all up in arms year after year about something that is inherently subjective and highly unreliable either way (good or bad).

Was this supposed to be some kind of "gotcha". I'm spot on with every single one of them and I was alone believing that the 2016 class was good btw as well. How dumbed down must I make these descriptors? I'm saying, for the past several years since I've been here, the more prolific posters and the "experts" and "scouts" have said one thing and for the most part, I've been on the opposing end and I've been right!

draft classes with approximately 5 all-stars are rare. To also have numerous starters and borderline all-stars make those classes all-time greats. So I'm right about 2017 and 2018.

2019 has just three all-stars and a few good players. It's not bad. It's good. Again, I was right.

2020 has just three all-stars and a few good players. It's not bad. It's good. Again, I was right.

2021 might not get a single all-star but certainly not more than three but it's deep with starters and role players. So weaker than 2020. Right again.

2022 is great. Is this not already obvious despite it only being a year and not having Chet healthy?

2023 is decent to weak. It will have standouts (Wembanyama, Scoot and the twins) but almost every single one and done disappointed or have major flaws. Did people not watch this college season?

Return to NBA Draft