Nikola Topic

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,221

Re: Nikola Topic 

Post#101 » by lambchop » Fri Jan 5, 2024 2:38 pm

Anyway, according to Serbian news outlets Topic will be out for 4-6 weeks. That sucks. I wonder if they'll sign another guard cause they're kind of screwed now.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#102 » by mattao313 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:01 am

His movement and dribbling reminds me of Jeremy Lin.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,891

Post#103 » by Colbinii » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:03 am

mattao313 wrote:His movement and dribbling reminds me of Jeremy Lin.

That isn't good.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#104 » by mattao313 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:21 am

Colbinii wrote:
mattao313 wrote:His movement and dribbling reminds me of Jeremy Lin.

That isn't good.
When I watched that's the first guy that came to mind, 6'7 Jeremy Lin isn't a bad player I guess.

Championships
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#105 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:08 am

he's not 6-7
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#106 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:40 pm

clyde21 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:His shooting and the fact that so much of his height is neck and not actual functional height, is worrisome.

was just coming in to say this as im starting to watch the guy

listed at 6-6 but he's functionally really 6-4 b/c of the long neck, shooting numbers don't look too great, on the surface don't see what separates him from say Josh Giddey but shorter...but i obviously need to watch more

I would agree with this... Seems like a guy that should go around 7-9. He can't really shoot and appears to be an average athelte at best.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
tester551
Analyst
And1: 816

Post#107 » by tester551 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:27 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:His shooting and the fact that so much of his height is neck and not actual functional height, is worrisome.

listed at 6-6 but he's functionally really 6-4 b/c of the long neck, shooting numbers don't look too great, on the surface don't see what separates him from say Josh Giddey but shorter...but i obviously need to watch more

I would agree with this... Seems like a guy that should go around 7-9. He can't really shoot and appears to be an average athlete at best.

For those that have watched him more than I have, what separates Topic from Juan Núñez?
From the videos/film that I have seen -> I am probably higher on Núñez as a prospect.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#108 » by EvanZ » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:51 pm

There are always people pushing a euro agenda and they hype up everyone with even a whiff of talent. Most of the time it amounts to nothing no matter how much they try to convince you. Remember Rocko Prkacin or however the hell you spell his name? How many years did we hear he was coming? Once in a while it turns out to be legit but most of the time it’s just euro propaganda.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#109 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:05 am

tester551 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I would agree with this... Seems like a guy that should go around 7-9. He can't really shoot and appears to be an average athlete at best.

For those that have watched him more than I have, what separates Topic from Juan Núñez?
From the videos/film that I have seen -> I am probably higher on Núñez as a prospect.

He's quicker and has the ability to attack the basket which Nunez can't. It's not just that he's a couple of inches taller, he just has a real knack for dribbling around and through traffic and finishing around the rim. Of course you have to wonder how that will translate against NBA athletes. Nunez is a good passer but I think Topic is elite. Topic seems to have a more aggressive nature on the offensive end than Nunez. Topic is nearly a full year younger, he'll still be 18 y/o on draft night. And finally, while I think he'll likely struggle on defense, his BBIQ and quick hands cause turnovers and with his size he may have more versatility. I think Nunez seems like the perfect starter on a stacked team. He's an old school PG like Mark Price. Topic has potential to be a dynamic point guard with flashy plays who can be a star kinda like Nash. I'd consider Topic anywhere in the lottery depending on team needs and I'd start considering Nunez in the mid-late teens. Based on recent games it looks like Topic might have grown a bit and filled out some which is encouraging. I think he's probably a legit 6'5" and change. Nunez looks around 6'3"?
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#110 » by crows2 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:07 am

EvanZ wrote:There are always people pushing a euro agenda and they hype up everyone with even a whiff of talent. Most of the time it amounts to nothing no matter how much they try to convince you. Remember Rocko Prkacin or however the hell you spell his name? How many years did we hear he was coming? Once in a while it turns out to be legit but most of the time it’s just euro propaganda.

It’s generally pretty simple - the ones (like Topic) who are able to put up good numbers in Europe while still young (Doncic, Sengun, Jokic) succeed in the NBA. The ones who struggle in Europe, struggle in the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#111 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:18 am

crows2 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:There are always people pushing a euro agenda and they hype up everyone with even a whiff of talent. Most of the time it amounts to nothing no matter how much they try to convince you. Remember Rocko Prkacin or however the hell you spell his name? How many years did we hear he was coming? Once in a while it turns out to be legit but most of the time it’s just euro propaganda.

It’s generally pretty simple - the ones (like Topic) who are able to put up good numbers in Europe while still young (Doncic, Sengun, Jokic) succeed in the NBA. The ones who struggle in Europe, struggle in the NBA.

well he wasnt good in his first two euroleague games, so we should probably hold off on the #1 pick talk tbh
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,962

Post#112 » by BigGargamel » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:26 pm

The Spurs will have two top ten picks this year. He is destined to be a Spur.
bananazn
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#113 » by bananazn » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:52 pm

crows2 wrote:

I believe zizic was putting good numbers in ABA at 18 yo even his SL games were great
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#114 » by EvanZ » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:47 pm

bananazn wrote:
crows2 wrote:

I believe zizic was putting good numbers in ABA at 18 yo even his SL games were great

Yeah I mean the ones that get hyped are usually putting up decent stats. Luka was an all-time outlier great, but there are plenty of Killian Hayes that get hyped up.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#115 » by crows2 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:36 am

Hayes put up 11-3-5. Topic’s statline is 18-4-7. Completely different levels of success and likely a pointer towards their productivity in the NBA.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#116 » by The Moose » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:54 am

I think if we're talking overrated Euro prospects for this class its Risacher, not Topic.
The top 3 buzz I've seen for Risacher seems insane to me
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#117 » by Hal14 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:56 pm

clyde21 wrote:
crows2 wrote:

well he wasnt good in his first two euroleague games, so we should probably hold off on the #1 pick talk tbh

Yeah let's take the 2 game sample size over the 16 games he played for the team he actually went through training camp with, whom he averaged 18 PPG and 7 APG in one of the top pro leagues in the world (same team and same league that Jokic for). Not to mention the 2 tournaments (last summer and last spring) where he won MVP, including a game where he had 49 points.

Also, I wouldn't say he wasn't good in those 2 EuroLeague games, when you look at these clips.
Read on Twitter

Also, we need to put the competition level of the EuroLeague into context. That league is EASILY better competition than every other league in the world, besides the NBA. Jokic did not play EuroLeague, neither did Sengun. Juan Nunez has not played EuroLeague either.

We have very few guys who have actually been good in the EuroLeague and gotten significant playing time at age 18. So it's hard to make an apples to apples comparison with Topic and it's hard to say that he "wasn't good" in his EuroLeague games.

James Nnaji - barely got any playing time last season in EuroLeague at age 18. Did show some intriguing flashes when he did get playing time..went 2nd round in 2023 draft

Tristan Vukcevic - barely got any playing time in EuroLeague last season at age 19. Went 2nd round in 2023 draft

Eli N'Diaye - barely played any EuroLeague mins last season at age 18. Chose to withdraw from the draft. Now at age 19, he is again barely getting any EuroLeague mins. Likely to not get drafted in 2023..might go 2nd round..

Usman Garuba - played EuroLeague at age 18 for Real Madrid. Turned 19 later in the season. Was a decent role player off the bench in EuroLeague but was not a featured player on offense - just got some tip-ins, put-backs and the occasional spot up 3. Was a 1st round pick, hasn't really worked out in the NBA but some of that is probably attributed to Houston doing a poor job developing him and not giving him the necessary playing time to develop.

Luka Doncic - was awesome in EuroLeague at age 18, I think he may have even won MVP. But then again, that's Luka. Top 5 player in the world. Topic isn't Luka. No one is saying that Topic is Luka. Topic can still be worth a top 5 pick in this (weak) 2024 draft class, even if he is not as good as Luka.

Lastly, we shouldn't read too deep into the 2 EuroLeague games Topic has played in. First off, it's only a 2 game sample size - that's nothing. Secondly, the 2nd game he only played 11 minutes because he suffered a knee injury..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#118 » by Hal14 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:18 pm

tester551 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Topic is a year younger, and about 3 inches taller. Topic is WAY better (like it's night and day difference) at getting to the basket, pressuring the rim, paint touches. We talked in a different thread about the crazy low FTr for Kylan Boswell - I'm pretty sure Nunez's is really low, like that too. Topic is also much better at finishing around the rim.

Nunez is averaging 10 PPG and 5 APG. Topic in the Adriatic league was averaging 18 PPG and 7 APG. Topic also outplayed Isaiah Collier in an exhibition vs USC over the summer and scored 49 pts in a game last spring, winning 2 MVPs last year (ANGT tournament and U18 FIBA). Meanwhile, Nunez played in FIBA U20 tournament last summer but did not win MVP (Ilias Kamardine did).
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#119 » by Hal14 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:52 pm

Why would we lump together all European players like they're all the same?

You name drop 1 guy (Prkacin) who showed good potential at age 18 but didn't make it in the league. Ok? For every Prkacin, there's like 20 American players who turned out to be busts (Kai Jones, Josh Primo, JT Thor, James Bouknight, Romeo Langford, etc.).

Some prospects turn out to be stars, some turn out to be decent role players, some end up being busts. That's true with European players and it's true with American players.

Most of the players in the league are american. Most of the players who get drafted each year are american. So despite the fact that there's way more american players in the league, a large amount of European players are stars right now in the NBA. Wemby, Luka, Jokic, Giannis, Gobert, Sabonis, Markannen, etc.

The US got embarrassed in the world cup last year. The US finished 4th place. Germany won the tournament, led by Dennis schroder, Daniel Theis and Franz Wagner.

Given all of that, it seems weird to be so negative/skeptical/dismissive of European players.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#120 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:23 am

I'm not sure Topic will be driving by guys at the NBA level nor finishing at the rim like you see mostly in his highlights. His only hope is to run the PnR and work off that. He'll need a very good three point shot and FT line jumper or floater when he can't drive. I do think he's capable of developing that and with his aggressiveness and passing ability he should get to the FT line plenty and rack up the assists. His shot and defense will define his career. Running the PnR with Wembanyam would be fun to see.

Return to NBA Draft