Nikola Topic

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Re: Nikola Topic 

Post#121 » by mattao313 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:02 pm

What do you guys think of his handle? If he doesn't have a elite handle I think he's a bust or at best a bench guard.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,157

Post#122 » by Hal14 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:50 pm

mattao313 wrote:What do you guys think of his handle? If he doesn't have a elite handle I think he's a bust or at best a bench guard.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app

It's adequate. I mean, it's not like Kyrie or Trae type of handle. But it's very good. As good as it can be for an 18 year old who's not named Kyrie.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#123 » by crows2 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:16 am

The Moose wrote:I think if we're talking overrated Euro prospects for this class its Risacher, not Topic.
The top 3 buzz I've seen for Risacher seems insane to me

Yes, there’s definitely a danger of Risacher being the “high potential” Euro guy who’s overdrafted. It’d be interesting to compare his current season to Coulibaly last year though, who’s looked decent in the NBA so far.
crows2
Senior

Post#124 » by crows2 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:I'm not sure Topic will be driving by guys at the NBA level nor finishing at the rim like you see mostly in his highlights. His only hope is to run the PnR and work off that. He'll need a very good three point shot and FT line jumper or floater when he can't drive. I do think he's capable of developing that and with his aggressiveness and passing ability he should get to the FT line plenty and rack up the assists. His shot and defense will define his career. Running the PnR with Wembanyam would be fun to see.

Scouts make the mistake every year of thinking athleticism is the only factor in someone’s finishing ability. As we’ve seen with someone like Luka, craft is as important as athleticism. Topic has great craft, so I have no doubt he’ll be able to finish at the rim in the NBA.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,894

Post#125 » by Colbinii » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:45 pm

crows2 wrote:
The Moose wrote:I think if we're talking overrated Euro prospects for this class its Risacher, not Topic.

Yes, there’s definitely a danger of Risacher being the “high potential” Euro guy who’s overdrafted. It’d be interesting to compare his current season to Coulibaly last year though, who’s looked decent in the NBA so far.

He is a similar age as Coulibaly was last year, is playing for one of the best teams in the same exact league Coulibaly/Wemby played in and is far more productive than Coulibaly in the league.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#126 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:40 am

crows2 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:I'm not sure Topic will be driving by guys at the NBA level nor finishing at the rim like you see mostly in his highlights. His only hope is to run the PnR and work off that. He'll need a very good three point shot and FT line jumper or floater when he can't drive. I do think he's capable of developing that and with his aggressiveness and passing ability he should get to the FT line plenty and rack up the assists. His shot and defense will define his career. Running the PnR with Wembanyam would be fun to see.

Scouts make the mistake every year of thinking athleticism is the only factor in someone’s finishing ability. As we’ve seen with someone like Luka, craft is as important as athleticism. Topic has great craft, so I have no doubt he’ll be able to finish at the rim in the NBA.

you have to admit there's a huge difference between the guys he's finishing over and around in his league and the NBA. In his highlights I see him doing this against a bunch of mid-major college talent. Almost none of this will translate. But I do agree that he's crafty and with his aggression means he'll at least attempt it with some success and that'll help keep defenses honest and send him to the line. From there, his ability to hit threes and his FT% will define what kind of player he can be.
crows2
Senior

Post#127 » by crows2 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:54 am

Colbinii wrote:
crows2 wrote:

He is a similar age as Coulibaly was last year, is playing for one of the best teams in the same exact league Coulibaly/Wemby played in and is far more productive than Coulibaly in the league.

Thanks for the comparison. What are the actual numbers? And how about defensively? It looks like Coulibaly may end up being very good defensively.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,894

Post#128 » by Colbinii » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:54 pm

crows2 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
crows2 wrote:

Thanks for the comparison. What are the actual numbers? And how about defensively? It looks like Coulibaly may end up being very good defensively.

You can google their stats online.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#129 » by JMAC3 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:28 pm

He is probably my most polarizing prospect. On 1 hand he is putting up good stats, has good size, shooting doesn't look broken even if percentage is iffy.

On the other hand he is very reliant on ball screens, his handle and finishing look pretty basic but it works.

Is he Luka levels of the ball should be in his hands or is he Josh Giddey where he needs the ball non-stop for pretty average results.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#130 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:23 pm

delete
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#131 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:30 am

crows2 wrote:

I remember I think in a draft board topic on this very board people were complaining about Trae Young not being able to finish against the trees in the nba, I think I said, who cares if he's a great finisher, he can draw fouls. Man was I right about that. Or maybe I made the whole argument up in my mind and made myself out to be the hero. Whatever.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#132 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:34 pm

Watching Micic has increased my confidence in Topic.

Micic is far less athletic but has shown his craftiness is effective against 1st or 2nd unit defense.

I think pure PG can get by or excel with less athleticism than what you'd see in wings, forwards, shooting guards or bigs.

I've seen Micic draw double teams and he's a snail. He's definitely one step slower than the average NBA athlete.

I think Topic looks far quicker and more nimble moving in all directions, without surrendering an inch of craftiness nor scoring touch.

I absolutely find myself falling in love with Micic, and by extension, more in love with his fellow countryman, Nik Topic.
It has been written...
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#133 » by JMAC3 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:34 pm

I do think I am coming around on Topic pretty dramatically after doing some more international prospect research over the last day or so. Guys who are as productive as he is who are this young have a really strong track record in the NBA.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#134 » by JMAC3 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:51 pm

I might be missing someone, but here is the list of guys I pulled together that won MVPs as international guys (Must be 20 years or younger) before coming over to NBA. Topic is probably winning MVP if he doesn't get hurt this year.

Luka, Wemby, Sengun, Jokic, Saric, Goga and Avdija.... let me know if I am missing anyone.

Deni is probably the least impressive because it was the weakest league and his numbers were only 13/6/3.
Luka was 16/5/5 in only 24 mpg, most impressive as it was the entire Euroleague.
Wemby 21/10 in french league is nuts
Sengun 19/9 in Turkish league at 18 was an oversight by me.
Jokic was 15/9/3 in his Adriatic MVP season
Goga was 20/8 in Adriatic- maybe the only outlier.
Saric 17/10/3 in his adriatic MVP season, was 20 years old. (Also went on to play 2 more international seasons in Turkish league before coming over).

Topic was putting up 18/7/4... arguably better numbers than Jokic who then came over and was 1st team all rookie the next year.
Big Board
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#135 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:40 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I might be missing someone, but here is the list of guys I pulled together that won MVPs as international guys (Must be 20 years or younger) before coming over to NBA. Topic is probably winning MVP if he doesn't get hurt this year.

Luka, Wemby, Sengun, Jokic, Saric, Goga and Avdija.... let me know if I am missing anyone.

Deni is probably the least impressive because it was the weakest league and his numbers were only 13/6/3.
Luka was 16/5/5 in only 24 mpg, most impressive as it was the entire Euroleague.
Saric 17/10/3 in his adriatic MVP season, was 20 years old. (Also went on to play 2 more international seasons in Turkish league before coming over).

Topic was putting up 18/7/4... arguably better numbers than Jokic who then came over and was 1st team all rookie the next year.

not sure if they were mvps, but both nurkic and zizic (another outlier) were dominant youngsters in the adriatic league.

the draft is a crapshoot and this class even that much more. imo, if you can get an mvp caliber international player under the age of 20, that is probably the best bet going.

that said the long range shooting is a huge red flag. at the same time, he's only 18. maybe he's good enough with the exception of the shooting at such a young age, you give him a mulligan and trust that he will become a respectable 3pt shooter.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#136 » by JMAC3 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:02 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:I might be missing someone, but here is the list of guys I pulled together that won MVPs as international guys (Must be 20 years or younger) before coming over to NBA. Topic is probably winning MVP if he doesn't get hurt this year.

not sure if they were mvps, but both nurkic and zizic (another outlier) were dominant youngsters in the adriatic league.

the draft is a crapshoot and this class even that much more. imo, if you can get an mvp caliber international player under the age of 20, that is probably the best bet going.

that said the long range shooting is a huge red flag. at the same time, he's only 18. maybe he's good enough with the exception of the shooting at such a young age, you give him a mulligan and trust that he will become a respectable 3pt shooter.

Yeah both were good in that league too.

Zizic was putting up 13/7
Nurkic was putting up 11/5 in just 16 mpg.

Sucks that we aren't getting to see more of him in the Euroleague. If he played well there he would be the #1 pick easily in this class, but the injury shut him down way too fast.
Big Board
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 911

Post#137 » by Pokuokic » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:16 pm

Petrusev won MVP as well but that was after 2 years at Gonzaga but he never really got a shot in the NBA other than a couple games sadly.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,866

Post#138 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:36 pm

Is he out for rest of season or what?

Could really come down to workouts for him.
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 79

Post#139 » by OriAr » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:52 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Is he out for rest of season or what?

Could really come down to workouts for him.

I think he might not declare if his knee doesn't recover in time.
The timeline being pushed further and further doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#140 » by The Moose » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:54 pm

Clear #1 pick to me

Return to NBA Draft