Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,669

Re: Cooper Flagg - HS 

Post#181 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:07 pm

crows2 wrote:Committed to Duke. I'm not convinced about Scheyer as an elite coach yet, but hopefully this is the best place for Flagg.

I think worst case scenario is Duke has them Calipari or just an extension of K from the las 10 years. What I mean by that is, not much of a coach but such an elite recruiter that they will compete just from a massive talent advantage most years.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#182 » by Braggins » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:44 pm

I don't get why top recruits are still so eager to go to Duke.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,312

Post#183 » by DOT » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:46 pm

Ah, damn

Oh well, we don't get these guys anyways. I'm shocked we were even in the running

I think Drummond is the last real one-and-done we've had at UConn, even Rudy Gay stayed for 2 years.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,669

Post#184 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:22 pm

Braggins wrote:I don't get why top recruits are still so eager to go to Duke.

Scheyer has been one of the best recruiters in the nation for almost a decade now. And I think with his 2022, 2023, and now 2024 classes, it shows it wasnt just him looking good as a recruit because of K.

So you have an elite recruiter and Duke is still Duke. Duke and UK are on their own tier when it comes to the kind of media coverage and eyeballs they get when they're good. And in the age of NIL, that no doubt doesnt hurt.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#185 » by Norm2953 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:31 pm

ESPN and lots and lots of NIL money
Knicks365247
Junior
And1: 350

Post#186 » by Knicks365247 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:11 am

Cooper Flagg wil be better than Luka but not as good as Wemby.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#187 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:20 am

it will take more than a couple of years under Scheyer to start scaring top guys away from Duke. Right now, the legacy and opportunity to play on television is the biggest draw. If they disappoint again this season and then fail to win with Flagg it could be curtains for the program for a bit.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,933

Post#188 » by tundraknight » Fri Nov 3, 2023 10:04 pm

Braggins wrote:
MemphisX wrote:Wish he would go to the NBL.

I really want him to play for the GLeague Ignite.

I’m so glad he didn’t go to the overrated GLeague Ignite. I’m not convinced GLI helps players develop better than either college or overseas.

I know it’s only been since 2020 that GLI was founded. But so far the few Top prospects that came from there like Jalen Green and Kuminga have been underwhelming. Especially Jalen Green who was hyped to the moon. And Scoot is off to a bad start but it’s obviously way too early to say wether or not he’ll live up to his hype.

Also outside of draft enthusiasts, I wonder if casual fans even enjoy watching the Ignite play?
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#189 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:00 pm

cooper flagg and montverde are playing in a tournament in my backyard here in utah tonight - gonna head down there to get a glimpse in person. i'm sure they will embarrass all comers, but it will be fun to see him live.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#190 » by andyhop » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:43 am

tundraknight wrote:Also outside of draft enthusiasts, I wonder if casual fans even enjoy watching the Ignite play?

Casual fans aren't watching the GLeague Ignite they probably don't even know they exist, I mean most hardcore NBA fans aren't watching them either.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#191 » by God Squad » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:50 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:cooper flagg and montverde are playing in a tournament in my backyard here in utah tonight - gonna head down there to get a glimpse in person. i'm sure they will embarrass all comers, but it will be fun to see him live.

Let us know how it went.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#192 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:50 pm

God Squad wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:cooper flagg and montverde are playing in a tournament in my backyard here in utah tonight - gonna head down there to get a glimpse in person. i'm sure they will embarrass all comers, but it will be fun to see him live.

Let us know how it went.

they were playing a local public school. probably a top 10 team in the state (which isn't saying a lot for playing here in utah), so not a bad team by any means, but they probably don't have one D1 kid on the roster. it was 59-24 at the end of three. montverde put in back ups for the 4th quarter and i want to say the final score was 80-41 or something. bottom line, the utah school completely overmatched from tip off and honestly they don't belong on the same court as montverde.

this isn't the first time I've seen Flagg play, so i'm not judging him on one game, but it was fun to be able to watch up close. he struggled to get his own shot against these scrappy, undersized, but tough kids. on his first foul, he tried to beat his 6'3" defender off the bounce, kid beat him to the spot and drew an offensive foul. about two possessions later he was leading the break, passed at about the FT line, kid stepped in front of him, he ran the kid over and there was no whistle - probably should have been another offensive foul. his points came from, i think three turn around jumpers from the low block while being guarded by much shorter and less athletic players, a couple FTs and a dunk while trailing in transition (i want to say he finished with 10 pts). he struggled to get his own offensively all night - outside of being thrown the ball in the low post and and just shooting over dudes. defensively he was on another level from everybody else on the floor. they had him defending the smallest guy on the floor most of the time (usually a scrappy 5'8" kid who really never tried to do anything offensively other than initiate offense and another kid that was probably 6'1" and played a similar role - neither was the primary PG - but they weren't shooters either), my guess is so he could roam defensively. he probably had about three blocks - they didn't really ever challenge him - and 5 or 6 steals.

my opinion having seen him multiple times in HS and having watched Chet multiple times in HS, they are very similar prospects. both are top 5 defensive players i've ever seen at the HS level and i don't think you can say one is better defensively than the other. Chet has 4 inches (at least) of length on Flagg, but Flagg moves better. defensively it's a wash. Chet was clearly a better shooter - had a better stroke and was simply more of a threat from three - it's not really close. I feel like Chet had more in his bag offensively in general, but Flagg is a better passer. if I'm completely honest, i think Chet was probably a tad better prospect - due to his length and shooting.

It is going to be really interesting to see how Flagg's offense develops at Duke. as it stands right now, he looks to me more like an Ausar/AK47 type player where he's a wing defender who can flat out block shots, wreak havoc defensively in myriad ways, score using his athleticism, make plays with his passing, but will be limited offensively - if the shooting never gets there entirely. his shooting is of course the elephant in the room and exactly how good of a prospect he is will hinge on how that improves.

also i don't think Derek Queen is a serious NBA prospect at this point - he was probably born about 40 years too late.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#193 » by God Squad » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:10 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
God Squad wrote:

Let us know how it went.

they were playing a local public school. probably a top 10 team in the state (which isn't saying a lot for playing here in utah), so not a bad team by any means, but they probably don't have one D1 kid on the roster. it was 59-24 at the end of three. montverde put in back ups for the 4th quarter and i want to say the final score was 80-41 or something. bottom line, the utah school completely overmatched from tip off and honestly they don't belong on the same court as montverde.

this isn't the first time I've seen Flagg play, so i'm not judging him on one game, but it was fun to be able to watch up close. he struggled to get his own shot against these scrappy, undersized, but tough kids. on his first foul, he tried to beat his 6'3" defender off the bounce, kid beat him to the spot and drew an offensive foul. about two possessions later he was leading the break, passed at about the FT line, kid stepped in front of him, he ran the kid over and there was no whistle - probably should have been another offensive foul. his points came from, i think three turn around jumpers from the low block while being guarded by much shorter and less athletic players, a couple FTs and a dunk while trailing in transition (i want to say he finished with 10 pts). he struggled to get his own offensively all night - outside of being thrown the ball in the low post and and just shooting over dudes. defensively he was on another level from everybody else on the floor. they had him defending the smallest guy on the floor most of the time (usually a scrappy 5'8" kid who really never tried to do anything offensively other than initiate offense and another kid that was probably 6'1" and played a similar role - neither was the primary PG - but they weren't shooters either), my guess is so he could roam defensively. he probably had about three blocks - they didn't really ever challenge him - and 5 or 6 steals.

my opinion having seen him multiple times in HS and having watched Chet multiple times in HS, they are very similar prospects. both are top 5 defensive players i've ever seen at the HS level and i don't think you can say one is better defensively than the other. Chet has 4 inches (at least) of length on Flagg, but Flagg moves better. defensively it's a wash. Chet was clearly a better shooter - had a better stroke and was simply more of a threat from three - it's not really close. I feel like Chet had more in his bag offensively in general, but Flagg is a better passer. if I'm completely honest, i think Chet was probably a tad better prospect - due to his length and shooting.

It is going to be really interesting to see how Flagg's offense develops at Duke. as it stands right now, he looks to me more like an Ausar/AK47 type player where he's a wing defender who can flat out block shots, wreak havoc defensively in myriad ways, score using his athleticism, make plays with his passing, but will be limited offensively - if the shooting never gets there entirely. his shooting is of course the elephant in the room and exactly how good of a prospect he is will hinge on how that improves.

also i don't think Derek Queen is a serious NBA prospect at this point - he was probably born about 40 years too late.

Sounds like much of the same. Great on defense, with offense (shooting) being his swing skill. I always considered him an AK47 type prospect with room to grow offensively. Hopefully he continues to put work into the jumper and get some consistency going.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#194 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:35 pm

God Squad wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
God Squad wrote:Let us know how it went.

Sounds like much of the same. Great on defense, with offense (shooting) being his swing skill. I always considered him an AK47 type prospect with room to grow offensively. Hopefully he continues to put work into the jumper and get some consistency going.

yeah, i'm not saying anything earth shattering, but i think i may have had him overrated a tad - and last night his limitations offensively jumped out a little more. in my mind it really wasn't close between him and Cam Boozer, Flagg was the significantly better prospect and one of the best prospects in the last 10 years - having watched him last night and just thinking about his overall game, i'm not convinced he's as good a prospect as a guy who went #2 overall a couple years ago.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,799

Post#195 » by UcanUwill » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:49 am

Hal14 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
The rumor was always that KG didn’t want to be labeled as 7 footer, but he was 7 feet or 7’1. Whether that’s the truth, I guess I have no way of knowing.

KG is 6’11, but he’s 6’11 barefoot and standing straight. The guys listed at 6’11 usually have nearly 2 inch lifts and neck stretched at the combin, and get rounded up an inch

Like in the world that KG is actually 6’11, Flagg is probably 6’7.5 or something lol.

Literally every site you can find lists KG at 6'11" (even sites from back during his playing days) but go on with your conspiracy theories.
Sorry to bring this back up, but everyone knew KG was taller than listed, people either forget or werent there. Same with Durant, everyone listed him 6'9 for years, but you just needed to look at him to know it is BS. They list Domantas Sabonis at 7'1 now, thats a laugh. How new you.must be to buy listed height and not to remember KG real height debates.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie

Post#196 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:38 pm

I can't believe how good this kid is. He and Wemby are going to be the faces of the league for 15 years. I have no doubt he'll be a top 10 player almost immediately and should be an MVP candidate yearly once he's fully developed. The NBA is without a doubt going to steer him to a big market team with draft night shenanigans
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#197 » by The-Power » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:51 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:I can't believe how good this kid is. He and Wemby are going to be the faces of the league for 15 years. I have no doubt he'll be a top 10 player almost immediately and should be an MVP candidate yearly once he's fully developed. The NBA is without a doubt going to steer him to a big market team with draft night shenanigans

Like they did with Wembanyama? Or Zion? Or LeBron? Or Duncan? Or Shaq? Or Kareem? Sorry, but at some point everyone should understand that conspiracy theories like this one do not hold up to any scrutiny and that it's just nonsense.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie

Post#198 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:34 am

The-Power wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:I can't believe how good this kid is. He and Wemby are going to be the faces of the league for 15 years. I have no doubt he'll be a top 10 player almost immediately and should be an MVP candidate yearly once he's fully developed. The NBA is without a doubt going to steer him to a big market team with draft night shenanigans

Like they did with Wembanyama? Or Zion? Or LeBron? Or Duncan? Or Shaq? Or Kareem? Sorry, but at some point everyone should understand that conspiracy theories like this one do not hold up to any scrutiny and that it's just nonsense.

yes, exactly like those :lol:

Kareem went to an expansion team which was great for business and everyone knew he wasn't long for Milwaukee and this was before the lottery so it's moot. Duncan went to the Spurs because the league punished the Celtics for shamelessly tanking. Cleveland had the highest odds and it was Lebron's hometown, the story was too good. Wembanyama went to an organization that he had ties with (former teammates, french mentors). Shaq went to the team with the best odds but similarly to Kareem, he was never going there long-term and the league didn't want to reward the shamelessly tanking Timberwolves. The NBA gifted the Magic the #1 pick the following year as well to maximize Shaq's brief stay there. Pelicans just lost AD and needed a star so they got Zion. But like Shaq and Kareem before him, he won't be long for New Orleans.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#199 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:19 pm

Would it be an exaggeration or apropos to say Cooper Flagg is going to be the best 8 ppg high school scorer in nba history?

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
strath
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#200 » by strath » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:37 am

Return to NBA Draft