Cooper Flagg - HS

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,222

Re: Cooper Flagg - HS 

Post#41 » by clyde21 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 7:47 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:So Flagg just won NBA Top 100 camp MVP and followed that up with one of the most dominant performances the Peach Jam has ever seen.

38 points
16 rebounds
11 blocks (including blocking the game tying attempt at the end of the game)
6 assists

I mean this is reaching just flat out freakish territories now.

is that good
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,885

Post#42 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 10:04 pm

Read on Twitter

His growth offensively might be the freakiest thing about him. Dude was pretty limited offensively a year ago. Now he is looking like a legit 6'9-6'10 point forward. Just like we saw with Wemby, teams will be lining up trying to tank for him in the 2025 class. Maybe the best American prospect since the KD/Oden class.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#43 » by mattao313 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 10:40 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Read on Twitter

His growth offensively might be the freakiest thing about him. Dude was pretty limited offensively a year ago. Now he is looking like a legit 6'9-6'10 point forward. Just like we saw with Wemby, teams will be lining up trying to tank for him in the 2025 class. Maybe the best American prospect since the KD/Oden class.
Stop it he's not a better prospect than zion

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,855

Post#44 » by basketballRob » Thu Jul 6, 2023 11:33 pm

Can you open this link? Please let me know.

https://www.threads.net/t/CuXlJNdSq6j/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#45 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Jul 6, 2023 11:48 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He is though. Size/weight and subsequent longevity concerns have to be part of the equation and for that reason Flagg is a better prospect
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,116

Post#46 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Jul 6, 2023 11:54 pm

If he's legit a 6'10 come draft time (I'm not sure if he is yet), he's someone you have to pick. Bigs with guard/wing skills are at a premium. The thing I like about him is his defense. He is incredibly active on that end.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
mattao313
General Manager

Post#47 » by mattao313 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:18 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He is though. Size/weight and subsequent longevity concerns have to be part of the equation and for that reason Flagg is a better prospect
Zion was 6'7 and ridiculous explosive, no one could stay in front of him, and was actually skilled at the game. He did not have weight issues coming out. You guys are using hindsight.

Championships
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:31 am

mattao313 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Stop it he's not a better prospect than zion

Zion was 6'7 and ridiculous explosive, no one could stay in front of him, and was actually skilled at the game. He did not have weight issues coming out. You guys are using hindsight.

I mean you can go back and see how big of a Zion fan I was and still am. Zion at 16 was not nearly as impactful and complete of a player as Flagg is right now. Flagg is probably the best defensive prospect from a US high school since Anthony Davis. And Flagg is showing far more offensive potential than AD was showing in high school or in college.

If Flagg continues the kind of growth that he has shown over the last year, I think at minimum he will be on the AD/Zion tier of a prospect. Again we are talking about a 6'9 forward who is a freak defensive prospect and over the last year is showing legit signs of a point forward skill set.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#49 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:19 am

mattao313 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Stop it he's not a better prospect than zion

he quite literally blew through a sneaker at Duke due to the amount of weight/torque he produced and injured himself. He was anywhere from 270-285 lbs coming out and his weight was always a long-term concern. How did you miss all of this?

Just look at the “weaknesses” of his scouting report

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/zion-williamson/

https://hoopshype.com/zion-williamson-scouting-report-and-accolades/
mattao313
General Manager

Post#50 » by mattao313 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:52 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

I mean you can go back and see how big of a Zion fan I was and still am. Zion at 16 was not nearly as impactful and complete of a player as Flagg is right now. Flagg is probably the best defensive prospect from a US high school since Anthony Davis. And Flagg is showing far more offensive potential than AD was showing in high school or in college.

If Flagg continues the kind of growth that he has shown over the last year, I think at minimum he will be on the AD/Zion tier of a prospect. Again we are talking about a 6'9 forward who is a freak defensive prospect and over the last year is showing legit signs of a point forward skill set.
Impact in high-school? Being a elite prospect more than just stats tho. Zions generational physical tools and skill alone make him a much better prospect

Championships
mattao313
General Manager

Post#51 » by mattao313 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:55 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

he quite literally blew through a sneaker at Duke due to the amount of weight/torque he produced and injured himself. He was anywhere from 270-285 lbs coming out and his weight was always a long-term concern. How did you miss all of this?

What? He was not overweight at Duke. Just because he was a freak specimen so much so that he blew through a shoe doesn't support your argument.

Championships
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#52 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 3:06 am

mattao313 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Zion was 6'7 and ridiculous explosive, no one could stay in front of him, and was actually skilled at the game. He did not have weight issues coming out. You guys are using hindsight.

Impact in high-school? Being a elite prospect more than just stats tho. Zions generational physical tools and skill alone make him a much better prospect

I understand Zion's physical tools. What Im saying is Flagg is a 6'9 forward who is the best defensive player in high school as a Sophomore. He is probably arguably the best defensive prospect since AD. He is also becoming a legit point forward on the offensive end. Ya he isnt the physical freak like Zion, but he is still a very skilled 6'9 16 year old who is already shooting better than Zion ever did, he is a very good FT shooter already and that tends to be a good prediction on overall shooting ability.

There is a reason why scouts and people who cover high school basketball have been fawning over him and Boozer for the last year. These two guys have been getting more press than any of the Juniors and Senior players, and for good reason.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,309

Post#53 » by SNPA » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:08 am

Basketball is a game of skill. This is a highly skilled kid with a very bright future.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,586

Post#54 » by MemphisX » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:11 am

I am dubious. We shall see.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,794

Post#55 » by Upperclass » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:17 am

Stats are cool. Not seeing it offensively. He's basically LeBron at the h.s. level athletically in terms of strength, size, leaping ability. What he does on offense doesn't really matter when he can just steamroll his way to the hoop. The skill isn't really there yet imo and he also seems to lack length, footspeed, quickness, agility.. etc. His shot is looking good though
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#56 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Jul 7, 2023 9:23 am

mattao313 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Zion was 6'7 and ridiculous explosive, no one could stay in front of him, and was actually skilled at the game. He did not have weight issues coming out. You guys are using hindsight.

What? He was not overweight at Duke. Just because he was a freak specimen so much so that he blew through a shoe doesn't support your argument.

c'mon now. Every single scout and talking head talked first and foremost about his weight concerns and how that much weight would likely prevent him from having a long and healthy career due to the stress on his joints. And those fears have been realized with him constantly being injured and overweight as a pro. He was carrying too much weight even at Duke. Not "fat" but too heavy. Then he became fat in the pros.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#57 » by King Ken » Fri Jul 7, 2023 11:13 am

He looks special everytime I see him. The only issue I have is he takes too long to get to his main move whereas Boozer is quick and decisive. Defensively, Flagg is on another level
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#58 » by King Ken » Fri Jul 7, 2023 11:17 am

Lockdown504090 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Upperclass wrote:Heavy-legged, not super agile. He actually plays like Josh Smith with less bounce

I dont get this at all. If he was so heavy legged and not agile, he wouldnt be such a versatile beast on the defensive end.

If he ends up being Josh smith with less bounce and shooting the way coop does, he’s a sure fire hall of gamer. Calling someone Josh smith is a pretty high compliment. That guy was a beast

As someone who played against Smoove, Flagg is 10x better at Basketball. His handle, hands, basketball instincts are otherworldly superior. Smoove was faster, jumped higher, and was just a tad more explosive. I wouldn't say it's a bad comp but he's just a lot less flawed than Smoove was
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,073

Post#59 » by KembaWalker » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:08 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:So Flagg just won NBA Top 100 camp MVP and followed that up with one of the most dominant performances the Peach Jam has ever seen.

38 points
16 rebounds
11 blocks (including blocking the game tying attempt at the end of the game)
6 assists

I mean this is reaching just flat out freakish territories now.

I want to get hyped but the fact that someone can put up that kind of statistical performance and still need to block a game tying attempt to secure a win is a red flag. Not necessarily to him personally just...I dunno. Matches up too well with my preconceived notions of how the game is played in this AAU/camp circuit.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,921

Post#60 » by azcatz11 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:16 pm

Not trying to downplay him at all but he looks like a stiff. I don’t see his movement translating to the nba

Return to NBA Draft