Reed Sheppard and Rob Dillingham - 2024 NBA Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Re: Reed Sheppard and Rob Dillingham - 2024 NBA Draft 

Post#561 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:48 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Steph Curry shot 8.8 threes and made 3.6 per game.
Reed is shooting 4.4 threes making 2.3 per game.

That is Steph as a Freshman, when he wasn't even a draft prospect. Averaged over 10 3s combined as a soph and junior. Can we please stop trying to make this comparison.

7th overall pick Steph averaged 7.4 FTA per game and 10.3 shots inside the 3 pt arc.
People pushing Reed as #1 pick 2 FTa per game and 3.7 shots inside the 3 pt arc.

Reed is doing nothing at the types of volume we saw Steph do it. Please stop trying to make this connection.

I mean, there's an obvious connection in that Reed really wants to be Steph Curry. Every time he tries to create, it's like watching some of Steph Curry's moves done in slow motion.

Now, Sheppard has no ability to create shots unless he's at a huge advantage (eg, in transition, defender isn't paying attention to him, off closeouts, etc) so he currently is just a spotup shooter.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#562 » by JMAC3 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:59 pm

We have seen Reed play 31 college games thus far, in 22 of those games he has failed to make more than 2 shots inside the 3pt arc.

I understand looking at guys for projections, realizing there are outliers such as a Haliburton, Booker types. Maybe Reed is one of those guys and I look like a big idiot, but I would rather bet against outliers and be wrong a small percentage of the time then sit here and try to connect the dots to say he is the next MVP guard in Nash/Curry based on small usage, historical outlier 3pt% and add in below avg measurables.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,962

Post#563 » by BigGargamel » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:01 pm

eminence wrote:Overall I could see Reed as the top college prospect, but that's mostly a sad thing about the class.

Cannot see him over Sarr, and it's a tough sell vs Topic for me as well.

I'd bet my life (for what that's worth these days LOL) that Cody Williams will be a better pro than Sheppard.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#564 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:07 pm

Paths for Sheppard:

-Improves ball handling a lot and becomes a poor man's Steph Curry. Maybe like a 20/6 guy who is average to bad on defense.
-Improves ball handling to a ridiculous degree and just becomes Steph Curry.
-Doesn't improve his ball handling that much and is basically just a 6'1" Lonzo Ball

He needs Haliburton like improvement in his ability to dribble and needs to transition from a low usage 3D guy to a very high usage floor general.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#565 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:08 pm

eminence wrote:I could buy a label of 'best shooting prospect since Steph' as it's a bit more abstract, taking into account age and whatnot, but we've seen better shooters in college since then (Jimmer and Buddy both won Wooden awards).

yea i don't know where that's even coming from, he's a good shooter, but he gets off 4 3s a game...it's such low volume that there is no way that you can make that claim at this point.

from a pure shooting perspective, Hawkins last year was better, and he was getting off almost 8 per game. even Gradey last year was getting off 6 per.

i like Reed, and I have him top 10, but there are some wild takes at this point. i actually think Dilly is a better shooter than Reed tbh.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#566 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:13 pm

btw, Steph, as a freshmen, was getting off 9 threes a game at 41%...and that was 17 yrs ago. :lol:
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,501

Post#567 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:17 pm

Colbinii wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
That's just lazy comparisons though. He has GOAT level Defensive Metrics for a college Guard and is the best shooter we have seen since Curry.

The idea that he is going to play like players from 15-30 years ago is wild.

Who is Michael Brogdon? He must be the White Malcolm Brogdon?

The fact you mentioned Curry proves my point.

Curry is more than a shooter. He can also handle the rock create off the dribble. Are you saying Reed is that kind of talent?

I said he is the best shooter since Curry. I didn't say he was similar to Curry in any way, shape or form in my post.

So who is he similar to?
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,557

Post#568 » by azcatz11 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:21 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:The fact you mentioned Curry proves my point.

Curry is more than a shooter. He can also handle the rock create off the dribble. Are you saying Reed is that kind of talent?

I said he is the best shooter since Curry. I didn't say he was similar to Curry in any way, shape or form in my post.

So who is he similar to?

A lot of these dudes don't know how to evaluate prospects...I'm not saying I do but I know a shooter when I see one. The curry comp is laughable. It's clear Shep is Devin Booker
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#569 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:22 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

So who is he similar to?

A lot of these dudes don't know how to evaluate prospects...I'm not saying I do but I know a shooter when I see one. The curry comp is laughable. It's clear Shep is Devin Booker

Booker: 6'4.5", 6'8.5" wingspan, 206 pounds
Sheppard: 6'1", 6'3" wingspan, 187 pounds

Booker also rarely shoots threes and is successful because he shoots so well on midrange jumpshots.

Booker also rarely takes spotup jumpshots.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#570 » by JMAC3 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:33 pm

Reed Sheppard shooting is impressive, but it is the closer to what Aaron Nesmith is doing this year in the NBA then what great great shooters have accomplished.
Big Board
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#571 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:36 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

So who is he similar to?

Yeah in just trying to get a clear comp. Mentioning Curry is just wild to me. Reed is not that kind of shooter. Comparing him to greatest shooter of all time just doesn't seem realistic imo.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#572 » by JMAC3 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:47 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:So who is he similar to?

Yeah in just trying to get a clear comp. Mentioning Curry is just wild to me. Reed is not that kind of shooter. Comparing him to greatest shooter of all time just doesn't seem realistic imo.

The numbers for Steph vs Reed aren't even close, yet for some reason it is okay to compare him to the GOAT shooter... it makes no sense. That would be like this.....

Jakobe Walter Freshman Stats
31.9 mpg, 14.7 ppg, 5.1 fta 4.4 rpg 1.5 apg, 1.1 spg, 0.2 bpg

Mystery Player Freshman Stats
31.7 mpg, 13.5 ppg, 3.2 fta, 4.5 rpg, 1.8 apg 1.2 spg, 0.2 bpg

Spoiler:
Michael Jordan is the Mystery player since we are getting wild with the comps.
Big Board
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#573 » by GoBobs » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:09 pm

I think Curry is a good comp, Seth Curry.

Look, for all the reasons to think he is going to likely struggle to be a star type player and there are plenty, he is a star player in college basketball this year. He has enough volume that 52% from three jumps off the stat page even if it is only open shots. He has a 24.3 per, 84% from the ft line and 70% true shooting (insane for a guard).

If he does in the NBA what he is doing right now in college, he will be a major weapon. He doesn't have to take it to the basket and score. He doesn't have to create shots. All he has to do is hit 50% from 3 on open shots created by someone else, he can suck on defense, and he will still be a great player.

Can he be better than Steve Kerr the all time 3pt percentage leader at 45%, maybe. Kerr had a few seasons where he shot over 50%. We don't have data from Kerr's freshman season 3pt % in college. As a senior he shot 57% from 3, had an overall shooting percentage of 56%, and a true shooting percentage of 78% ( :o ). As a freshman though his true shooting percentage was 54% where Shepard is at 70%. He was only just over 60% true shooting percentage until that senior year. Seth Curry (8th overall 3pt % all time), only cracked 60% true shooting percentage his senior year at duke.

You have to give Shepard some credit for taking the good shot because his percentage is so good. The steals are also like a reflection of his basketball IQ.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#574 » by EvanZ » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:46 pm

GoBobs wrote:I think Curry is a good comp, Seth Curry.

Seth Curry was an undrafted 5th year Senior. You do realize that don't you? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#575 » by azcatz11 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:03 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:So who is he similar to?

People tend to overrate white dudes. That’s what’s going on here
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#576 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:05 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

I got suspended for race baiting on GB. I'm not touching anything with race anymore. :lol:
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#577 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:11 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

I mean he is a freshman on a power team displaying elite abilities in regards to the most valued trait in the game right now (Shooting). And in a piss poor draft in terms of top tier talent.

I dont think he is a Top-5 guy, but something around 7? 8? Sure.

His fit specifically in San Antonio would be pretty spectacular if you assume Wemby and Sochan are likely to continue to develop as passers. Think you dont need a true PG when you can get 4-5 APG each from Wemby, Sochan and Reed.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#578 » by JMAC3 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:13 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Yeah in just trying to get a clear comp. Mentioning Curry is just wild to me. Reed is not that kind of shooter. Comparing him to greatest shooter of all time just doesn't seem realistic imo.

I mean he is a freshman on a power team displaying elite abilities in regards to the most valued trait in the game right now (Shooting). And in a piss poor draft in terms of top tier talent.

His fit specifically in San Antonio would be pretty spectacular if you assume Wemby and Sochan are likely to continue to develop as passers. Think you dont need a true PG when you can get 4-5 APG each from Wemby, Sochan and Reed.

I would rather draft Collier if I am the Spurs. Pull out Wemby and let Collier attack the rim with no big all game long.
Big Board
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#579 » by azcatz11 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:14 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Yeah in just trying to get a clear comp. Mentioning Curry is just wild to me. Reed is not that kind of shooter. Comparing him to greatest shooter of all time just doesn't seem realistic imo.

I’m very high on him also. I’m just saying people see these white dudes like him and think they’re Steph curry. I’m not saying it in a malicious way. It’s clear now he’s a system player and hasn’t been a focus point of Kentucky all season. I want to see more before saying he’s the #1 overall pick. I’m just saying that’s a big reason why KOC has him #1 overall
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#580 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:31 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

I would rather draft Collier if I am the Spurs. Pull out Wemby and let Collier attack the rim with no big all game long.

Ya, not a Collier guy. Would bet money Reed does more to help his team win at the next level than Collier - and I say that despite believing that in terms of raw stats there is a great chance Collier blows Reed out of the water.

See Collier as a Waiters type. Think Reed can be a PG version of Donte, or something like Greg Anthony on defense but Seth Curry on offense.

Return to NBA Draft