Kwame Evans Jr

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,221

Kwame Evans Jr 

Post#1 » by EvanZ » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:29 pm

Why is nobody talking about him? He seems like a OAD at this point. Potential Lottery pick. You'd think given his dad there'd be more intrigue. I think the hype is going to start picking up.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,197

Re: Kwame Evans Jr 

Post#2 » by Hal14 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:24 pm

I've got him as like a mid 2nd rounder right now. He's a stretch 4, who can maybe play some small ball 5. For that role, his rebounding and rim protection are decent enough. His defense overall is good, not great. Playmaking is good, not great. Athleticism is ok..off the dribble stuff is ok.

He needs the shooting splits to be better to go 1st round, IMO.

Right now he's 40/26/68 splits and that's not gonna cut it.

Unless he brings those up, I could see him returning and being a potential sophomore season breakout guy..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#3 » by EvanZ » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:44 pm

4:1 A:T ratio is bonkers for his archetype and considering who his dad is lol. It's like if James Wiseman gives birth to a Nobel laureate. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,034

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:49 pm

Reminds me of Josh Minott--Toolsy prospect with good size, excellent STL% and BLK%, lack of shot and playmaking prevents him from being in the lottery consideration.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#5 » by EvanZ » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:59 pm

Colbinii wrote:Reminds me of Josh Minott--Toolsy prospect with good size, excellent STL% and BLK%, lack of shot and playmaking prevents him from being in the lottery consideration.

4.3 ast per 100 to only 1 tov is evidence of a lot of "playmaking" especially for his age and size.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#6 » by Colbinii » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:18 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Reminds me of Josh Minott--Toolsy prospect with good size, excellent STL% and BLK%, lack of shot and playmaking prevents him from being in the lottery consideration.

4.3 ast per 100 to only 1 tov is evidence of a lot of "playmaking" especially for his age and size.

He has 13 assists in 8 games.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,197

Post#7 » by Hal14 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:29 pm

I haven't watched him a ton at Oregon. But watching his HS and AAU film, his best attributes were his shooting and playmaking were really solid for a 6'9"/6'10" high schooler.

Might just be Oregon not using him the right way, like what happened last season with Ware..

I think he's a better shooter than what he's shown so far at Oregon on a small sample size.

I had him ranked in like the 11-16 range coming into the season. If he can get his shooting splits up, he could end up there - or at least close to that range.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#8 » by EvanZ » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:31 pm

Colbinii wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

It's convenient for you to be that reductive, yet doesn't bode well for your scouting chops. He's played 21 mpg.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#9 » by EvanZ » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:32 pm

Hal14 wrote:

I haven't watched him a ton at Oregon. But watching his HS and AAU film, his best attributes were his shooting and playmaking were really solid for a 6'9"/6'10" high schooler.

Might just be Oregon not using him the right way, like what happened last season with Ware..

I guess people don't watch with their eyes anymore. I literally watched him a few minutes and could see above average feel.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#10 » by EvanZ » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:34 pm

This applies to Mgbako too, when you are this size and have even a modicum of feel to go along with the physical talent, you're automatically going to be interesting to NBA teams. Anybody thinking these guys can't be Lottery picks are just burying their heads in the sand.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#11 » by Colbinii » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:23 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

It's convenient for you to be that reductive, yet doesn't bode well for your scouting chops. He's played 21 mpg.

Most of my scouting is done through analytics--it holds up well compared to most eye tests :wink:

I typically don't start watching film until April/May as other hobbies in life take precedence before.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#12 » by EvanZ » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:02 am

Colbinii wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Most of my scouting is done through analytics--it holds up well compared to most eye tests :wink:

I typically don't start watching film until April/May as other hobbies in life take precedence before.

Shouldn’t you do better analytics if that’s all you’re doing? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#13 » by Colbinii » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:05 am

EvanZ wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

I am simply saying a player with 13 assists in 8 games, even at 20 MPG, isn't really a major indicator of being a good passer/playmaker. He could be a good playmaker/passer, but it isn't a strong enough indicator where I would plant my flag on that being a strong attribute--analytically speaking.

As someone who is good with analytics and has an analytics background, I would want to see a larger sample size being "buying" the sample.

Things like STL%/BLK% is where I am definitely intrigued. It is a reason I was so high on Sengun.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#14 » by EvanZ » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:43 am

Colbinii wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I am simply saying a player with 13 assists in 8 games, even at 20 MPG, isn't really a major indicator of being a good passer/playmaker. He could be a good playmaker/passer, but it isn't a strong enough indicator where I would plant my flag on that being a strong attribute--analytically speaking.

As someone who is good with analytics and has an analytics background, I would want to see a larger sample size being "buying" the sample.

Things like STL%/BLK% is where I am definitely intrigued. It is a reason I was so high on Sengun.

I just don't think you're that "good" with analytics if you think 20 minutes per game is not significantly different from a kid who plays 30+ minutes. But you do you.

Another odd thing is that everyone knows steals and blocks have more variance than assists. It's much more likely those categories are the outliers, not the assists.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#15 » by Colbinii » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:05 am

EvanZ wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Shouldn’t you do better analytics if that’s all you’re doing? Just a thought.

I just don't think you're that "good" with analytics if you think 20 minutes per game is not significantly different from a kid who plays 30+ minutes. But you do you.

It is more that it is 8 games. I even said "Even at 20 MPG", hinting that the MPG isn't the problem and insinuating that the minute per game isn't the issue I have.

I would have the same issues in 8 games with a 30 MPG player :wink:

Another odd thing is that everyone knows steals and blocks have more variance than assists. It's much more likely those categories are the outliers, not the assists.

STL% and BLK% are less fluky and normalize quicker.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#16 » by EvanZ » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:13 am

Colbinii wrote:

STL% and BLK% are less fluky and normalize quicker.

Not from my memory of looking at this. Do you have some study you can give me on it?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,213

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:04 am

i see him as a wing not a combo big tbh, probably top 10 in this class if he continues to produce at a + level given his RSCI, physical profile and archetype
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,328

Post#18 » by babyjax13 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:04 am

EvanZ wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Shouldn’t you do better analytics if that’s all you’re doing? Just a thought.

That is a small sample (games played). Two bad games in a row could completely change that ratio.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#19 » by EvanZ » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:19 pm

Also need to account for Oregon zone that can inflate steals.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#20 » by Colbinii » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:55 pm

EvanZ wrote:Also need to account for Oregon zone that can inflate steals.

96th in the Country in Steals and 216th in Blocks.

This same defense ranked 215th in Steals last year, 140th in 2022 and 88th in 2021.

It could be inflation, but I don't think it is.

2 more games since you were last a dick and he is still > 4 APG. Definitely no Josh Minott!

Circa 2018

Circa 2022

Return to NBA Draft