Stephon Castle

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,470

Re: Stephon Castle 

Post#81 » by Saints14 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:02 pm

Everyone is mocking a big to OKC but I would love it if Castle fell to them and got to work with Chip Engelland. He doesn't fill any immediate holes for them but I feel like his game fits what they want to do extremely well and he could be a replacement for Giddey/Dort down the line if they need to move on from those guys due to cost
RyugaFan
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#82 » by RyugaFan » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:43 pm

This guy kind of stinks. He can't shoot the ball and he's not some elite slasher/driving athlete to make up for it. The steal rate is also historically low for a defense first prospect.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,677

Post#83 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:42 am

RyugaFan wrote:This guy kind of stinks. He can't shoot the ball and he's not some elite slasher/driving athlete to make up for it. The steal rate is also historically low for a defense first prospect.

There is no way you watch UConn play and think Castle stinks.

That team is literally team ball. They run a system and everyone touches the ball. Castle went to UConn to win a championship. He's basically their 4th/5th option on offense.

He has all the skills to be great at the next level. The only question mark about his game is his shooting. He can literally handle, pass, cut, play defense and he has a high basketball IQ.

If he can improve his jumpshot you're looking at a potential all-star caliber player.
RyugaFan
Ballboy

Post#84 » by RyugaFan » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:39 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
RyugaFan wrote:This guy kind of stinks. He can't shoot the ball and he's not some elite slasher/driving athlete to make up for it. The steal rate is also historically low for a defense first prospect.

That team is literally team ball. They run a system and everyone touches the ball. Castle went to UConn to win a championship. He's basically their 4th/5th option on offense.

He has all the skills to be great at the next level. The only question mark about his game is his shooting. He can literally handle, pass, cut, play defense and he has a high basketball IQ.

If he can improve his jumpshot you're looking at a potential all-star caliber player.

It''s not just that they play team ball, he can't self-create at the college level. They have to strictly use him as a connector for him to have an impact, with their 4 other elite college players helping him. If he had his own team I'm not even sure he would be in contention for the 1st round because his weaknesses would be exposed.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#85 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:46 am

RyugaFan wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

It''s not just that they play team ball, he can't self-create at the college level. They have to strictly use him as a connector for him to have an impact, with their 4 other elite college players helping him. If he had his own team I'm not even sure he would be in contention for the 1st round because his weaknesses would be exposed.

Bro he's a connector because there entire starting unit plays that way.

You realize they have 5 players scoring double digits in ppg?

You can literally say the same thing about anyone in their starting lineup. UConn runs a system that is based on ball movement and not many iso's.

Castle is asked to do his job like everyone else.
RyugaFan
Ballboy

Post#86 » by RyugaFan » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:28 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
RyugaFan wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:There is no way you watch UConn play and think Castle stinks.

Bro he's a connector because there entire starting unit plays that way.

You realize they have 5 players scoring double digits in ppg?

You can literally say the same thing about anyone in their starting lineup. UConn runs a system that is based on ball movement and not many iso's.

Castle is asked to do his job like everyone else.

He's a connector cuz it's the only role he can play for that team.The other guys aren't connectors, Newton can initiate the point, Karaban/Spencer space the floor, Clingan's a rim runner, they all have scoring gravity that can tilt the defense, Castle has to be a connector and exploit gaps. Few guys in the league can actually make it in that role, and the ones who do are these game changing defensive players.
RyugaFan
Ballboy

Post#87 » by RyugaFan » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:14 am

Like do you honestly think Castle can be the lead guard of a team? I think that's where you and I disagree.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 855

Post#88 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:51 am

RyugaFan wrote:Like do you honestly think Castle can be the lead guard of a team? I think that's where you and I disagree.

NBA point guards are asked to bring the ball up the court, initiate offenses (passes to guys coming off curls, pin-downs, make entry passes, etc) and run the PnR. Castle has done all of these things as a freshmen. Not exclusively like someone already pointed out to you because they have a very motion heavy offense with multiple guys initiating and playing on and off-ball, but more than anyone else. The fact that he's 6'5" and can defend as well is huge. He won't ever be an above average starting PG in the NBA unless he shoots better but good thing he's still just 19 y/o and has plenty of time to develop. Shooting you can teach; size, handle, BBIQ, hustle and natural PG skills you can't.
damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#89 » by damedash09 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:02 am

Should be a top 10 pick

He wil be an impact player in the league
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#90 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:13 am

damedash09 wrote:Should be a top 10 pick

I hope Charlotte takes him.

If he develops a consistent jumpshot he's Jimmy Butler like.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#91 » by TheSuzerain » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:38 am

I just wonder on his offensive ceiling. He's young enough that it's kind of like "hey maybe!". But seems more like a primo glue guy (if the shot develops).
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#92 » by TheSuzerain » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:39 am

He's not Jimmy Butler though. Not close to that physically.

And Butler being an elite playmaker was just truly a bizarre development.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,341

Post#93 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:40 am

In a different way, dogging Castle is similar to doing that to Hawkins last season. These are NBA-ready players who arrive at the draft with one elite skill and overall well-rounded games. Those types of players translate right away because they can splash 3's against NBA defenders, or lock down NBA scorers, while being coachable in all areas. They typically improve and build off their baseline skill.

This is a flat lottery. He's not going 1 overall but saying he goes top 10 could be no different than going top 5.

None of his competition demonstrated the upside that would make any of them a surefire selection ahead of him. He makes winning plays and by doing so his team advanced, giving scouts greater comfort level.

You don't draft based on a Tourney sample but it's clear he maintains his competitive edge in high pressure situations. Shows resilience, poise, discipline. He plays his role.

In a draft scarce of upside, he is a safe pick with a high floor. This draft is more about floor than upside.
It has been written...
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,650

Post#94 » by azcatz11 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:38 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
damedash09 wrote:Should be a top 10 pick

I hope Charlotte takes him.

If he develops a consistent jumpshot he's Jimmy Butler like.

I honestly like the butler comp. His shot is kind of broken tho. He has that hitch at the top.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 737

Post#95 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:54 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:In a different way, dogging Castle is similar to doing that to Hawkins last season. These are NBA-ready players who arrive at the draft with one elite skill and overall well-rounded games. Those types of players translate right away because they can splash 3's against NBA defenders, or lock down NBA scorers, while being coachable in all areas. They typically improve and build off their baseline skill.

This is a flat lottery. He's not going 1 overall but saying he goes top 10 could be no different than going top 5.

None of his competition demonstrated the upside that would make any of them a surefire selection ahead of him. He makes winning plays and by doing so his team advanced, giving scouts greater comfort level.

You don't draft based on a Tourney sample but it's clear he maintains his competitive edge in high pressure situations. Shows resilience, poise, discipline. He plays his role.

In a draft scarce of upside, he is a safe pick with a high floor. This draft is more about floor than upside.

His floor is unplayable, he's not nearly good enough at other things if he doesn't learn how to shoot.

His ceiling is "ideal #4 on a title team" which is good, but he really needs to shoot.

His upside is that he's a PG who's big enough and quick enough to not be victimized in the postseason and that's actually really important for a defense. But not important enough that he would be playable if he can't shoot.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,436

Post#96 » by Morse Code » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:49 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:In a different way, dogging Castle is similar to doing that to Hawkins last season. These are NBA-ready players who arrive at the draft with one elite skill and overall well-rounded games. Those types of players translate right away because they can splash 3's against NBA defenders, or lock down NBA scorers, while being coachable in all areas. They typically improve and build off their baseline skill.

His floor is unplayable, he's not nearly good enough at other things if he doesn't learn how to shoot.

His ceiling is "ideal #4 on a title team" which is good, but he really needs to shoot.

His upside is that he's a PG who's big enough and quick enough to not be victimized in the postseason and that's actually really important for a defense. But not important enough that he would be playable if he can't shoot.
I agree. The conversation on Castle comes down to whether you believe he'll develop a reliable jumpshot or not. If he doesn't, it's ggs.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 737

Post#97 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:10 pm

Castle probably has an absolute ceiling of Derrick White, but it's hard to see him reaching that level on either end. Poor man's Derrick White is probably a realistic ceiling and would be good enough to start at PG in the NBA on a title team. But he needs to shoot on very high volume and at a high percentage.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#98 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:29 pm

His floor is probably Aaron McKie.

In between Derek Anderson without the injuries.

His ceiling maybe non-narcissist Ricky Davis with a brain?

So maybe Caris LeVert’s best years.

Idk why I find myself compelled to mainly compare him to late 90’s-mid ‘00’s guys lol.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#99 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:37 pm

Wait, is Iguodala the obvious ceiling comparison we’re all missing? I even thought about RJ.

He’s not considered the freak athlete those guys were, but he’s a wildly underrated athlete imho, effortless.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#100 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:39 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:His floor is probably Aaron McKie.

In between Derek Anderson without the injuries.

His ceiling maybe non-narcissist Ricky Davis with a brain?

So maybe Caris LeVert’s best years.

Idk why I find myself compelled to mainly compare him to late 90’s-mid ‘00’s guys lol.

This is confusing b/c I would take Aaron McKie over all 3 other guys mentioned lol. Especially Derek Anderson - that dude was just a chuckster.

Return to NBA Draft