Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 932

Re: 2025 NBA Draft Class 

Post#61 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:23 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:ive said this before but honestly the 2024 HS class doesn't look too appetizing of a crop either, even though the top 3-4 look a lot better than this year's but after that it's also a lot of mehhhhh.

Flagg/Ace/Harper are obvious studs, Gonzalez could be really good, but other than that nobody really stands out to me. JQ looks too short to be a legitimate NBA prospect for his position, Maluach is meh, Edgecombe/Johnson/Jackson are the usual combo guards types, etc.

hopefully top 3 don't flop otherwise it could be another brutal class.

Yup should be more fun to talk about if the top 3 guys live up to the hype. But ya I agree after that its a steep fall off and looks like a similar draft to this current one. I wont lie, I was more hyped about VJ Edgecombe leading up to the last month or so. Because most places had him listed at 6'4-6'5 and I knew he didnt have long arms but I didnt think his length would be an issue.

Then those first measurements from the hoop summit came out, and I believe those measurements far more than the "updated" ones that came out a day later. I think some handlers and agents got on the phone and made some promises of future players not showing up, if they didnt "update" the measurements. There is a reason why the US players dont get measured there.

But ya Edgecombe's measurements of 6'3 with a 6'5 wingspan is rough. And then seeing him around all the other top guys in the class over the last few weeks with these games and practices. He definitely looks like a small guard. And because of that, he went from a guy I thought had some high level potential, to "oh another athletic small scoring guard".

Yeah, the "experts" ran with this 2025 draft class is weak awhile ago which is of course laughable given how they hadn't even seen them all on the same court together in H.S. showcases let alone stepping foot on college campuses so I'm not surprised this is the prevailing narrative on here. I know the "experts" love to give too much weight to how many 5 stars are in high school classes based on the opinions of other clueless "experts" to gauge draft class strengths 18 months before drafts, so this is to be expected. At this point I'd be disappointed if this wasn't the case.

I've barely scratched the surface researching this class and I'm more excited for it than any class since 2017. It has that type of potential. Could be an all-timer. But it's just a feeling based on very little information at this point. But I've been doing this long enough and well enough to trust my instincts.

As good as the returning class is in 2024, 2025 could be just as good. We already know guys like Bradshaw, Foster, Ivisic, Wagner, Stojakovic, Boswell and Mgbako are returning. There'll likely be another 1/2 dozen returning guys not currently even being considered that will come out of nowhere like Knecht, Watkins, McCullar, and da Silva did this year, and a whole bunch of guys that declared for 2024 will end up returning when they get poor feedback like just happened with Onyenso. So there's a lot of promise for the 2025 returning class.

I don't expect the 2025 international class to be able to compete with 2024 but it could have Yang if he doesn't come out, it will have Hugo and Traore and there's a couple other promising guys. It looks to be at worse an average international class.

So it's going to come down to the H.S. class and I just feel like there's as much overall talent as 2023 and 2024 but unlike those classes it has elite guys at the top. So I fail to see how it could possibly be considered weak at this point.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,215

Post#62 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:28 pm

Yang is not coming out, I told you guys there was contract issues
clyde21
RealGM

Post#63 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:33 am

clyde21 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Aaron Bradshaw to Ohio St

some other transfers:

Kylan Boswell -> Illinois
Mark Mitchell -> Missouri
Kobe Johnson -> UCLA
Eric Dailey -> UCLA
Kanaan Carlyle -> Indiana
Malik Mack -> Georgetown
Tucker DeVries -> West Virginia
Cade Tyson -> North Carolina

Roddy Gayle -> Michigan
AJ Storr -> Kansas
Aden Holloway -> Alabama
Milos Uzan -> Houston
Tarris Reed -> UConn
Riley Kugel -> Kansas
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#64 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:25 am

clyde21 wrote:Yang is not coming out, I told you guys there was contract issues

still waiting on that proof others asked you for. It'd be real nice to know either way as it would affect Big Boards
clyde21
RealGM

Post#65 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:08 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:

still waiting on that proof others asked you for. It'd be real nice to know either way as it would affect Big Boards

i dont get it, do you want a copy of his CBA contract? unless he's bought out he won't declare for 24, IF he does he's staying another year in China.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#66 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:59 am

clyde21 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

i dont get it, do you want a copy of his CBA contract? unless he's bought out he won't declare for 24, IF he does he's staying another year in China.

yes please
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,381

Post#67 » by King Ken » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:if that's VJ's actual ws that sucks

He kinda reminds me of Avery Bradley and with that ws, I can now see why.

I love this HS class. Guys not even on the McDonald's AA path is coming up as studs in my scout like Mercy Miller
clyde21
RealGM

Post#68 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:12 pm

King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:if that's VJ's actual ws that sucks

He kinda reminds me of Avery Bradley and with that ws, I can now see why.

I love this HS class. Guys not even on the McDonald's AA path is coming up as studs in my scout like Mercy Miller

eh, disagree but I hope you're right, still a lot of guys i need to watch, but on the surface the 25 HS class looks better to me.
RyugaFan
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#69 » by RyugaFan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:56 pm

Flagg will probably have to become an elite shotmaker to reach star potential
clyde21
RealGM

Post#70 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:10 pm

RyugaFan wrote:Flagg will probably have to become an elite shotmaker to reach star potential

you might as well just slap that disclaimer on every single player anywhere at this point
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,050

Post#71 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:29 pm

clyde21 wrote:
RyugaFan wrote:Flagg will probably have to become an elite shotmaker to reach star potential

you might as well just slap that disclaimer on every single player anywhere at this point

Right?

Either you are an ATG defender like Draymond [Incredible passer and IQ], Gobert or Bam or else you are an elite offensive player/physical imposing [Giannis].
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 783

Post#72 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:32 pm

Colbinii wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Right?

Either you are an ATG defender like Draymond [Incredible passer and IQ], Gobert or Bam or else you are an elite offensive player/physical imposing [Giannis].

I mean, it's just pretty unclear how good Flagg's jumpshot is right now. His release point is extremely high which gives him great upside as a scorer, but it looks really awkward and weird as well. We need to know how often it goes in. If it doesn't go in much, he's closer to Herb Jones than a star.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,389

Post#73 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:19 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Right?

I mean, it's just pretty unclear how good Flagg's jumpshot is right now. His release point is extremely high which gives him great upside as a scorer, but it looks really awkward and weird as well. We need to know how often it goes in. If it doesn't go in much, he's closer to Herb Jones than a star.

herb jones shot 42% from three this season.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#74 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:33 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Right?

Those were not contested jumpers out of isolation, lol.

I think Flagg will eventually be a fine spot-up shooter, but I'm talking about how he shoots off the dribble/in isolation. It's an extremely high and weird looking release.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,347

Post#75 » by babyjax13 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:53 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

I think Flagg will eventually be a fine spot-up shooter, but I'm talking about how he shoots off the dribble/in isolation. It's an extremely high and weird looking release.

His shot kind of reminds me of Carlos Boozer's.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,050

Post#76 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:57 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Right?

LOL

Come on man, we have more data than just a percentage.

Herb Jones shot an unreal amount from corner 3. Over 52% of his 3P Makes were from the corner, which he made at 48%. Since he shot 42% overall, we can figure out what he shot not in the corner.

Herb Jones shot ~34% from non-corner 3P shots. This isn't bad, but he isn't lighting the world on fire, especially because 97% of all his 3P shots were assisted.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#77 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:35 pm

herb jones comp is fkn hilarious
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,807

Post#78 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:45 pm

Fland, Knox and Ivisic have all followed Calipari to Arkansas.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#79 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:00 am

babyjax13 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:

His shot kind of reminds me of Carlos Boozer's.

Yeah, I don't want to be too Jazz-focused, but it does look very Boozer-ish (except out of more traditional wing isos whereas Boozer's shot looked like that on spotups and turn-arounds from the mid to low post)
RyugaFan
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#80 » by RyugaFan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:12 am

Read on Twitter
/video/1
OTD shotmaker, knockdown movement shooter, handles the ball, real explosion. If he's actually 6'4/6'5 then I could see him being a top pick.

Return to NBA Draft