2025 NBA Draft Class

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Re: 2025 NBA Draft Class 

Post#21 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:07 am

assuming Flip, Roach, Mitchell and Proctor all bounce this will be the roster (minus the transfers obv)

Jared McCain / transfer
Caleb Foster / Kon Knueppel
TJ Power / Isaiah Evans
Cooper Flagg / Sean Stewart
Khaman Maluach / transfer / Patrick Ngongba
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 854

Post#22 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:11 am

clyde21 wrote:assuming Flip, Roach, Mitchell and Proctor all bounce this will be the roster (minus the transfers obv)

Jared McCain / transfer
Caleb Foster / Kon Knueppel
TJ Power / Isaiah Evans
Cooper Flagg / Sean Stewart
Khaman Maluach / transfer / Patrick Ngongba

McCain is almost guaranteed to come out and should be a borderline lottery pick. Wouldn't surprise me if he's taken ahead of both Sheppard and Dillingham too
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie

Post#23 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Apr 2, 2024 6:32 am

McDonald's All-America Game is tomorrow and it's on ESPN for those of you who'd like to catch all the top guys on the same court together for the first time.

East Roster

Jalil Bethea (G): Archbishop Wood High School (Pennsylvania), Miami (Fla.)
John Bol (C): Overtime Elite Academy (Georgia), Ole Miss
Isaiah Evans (F): North Mecklenburg High School (N.C.), Duke
Cooper Flagg (F): Montverde Academy (Florida), Duke
Johnuel Fland (G): Archbishop Stepinac High School (N.Y.), Kentucky
Ian Jackson (F): Our Saviour Lutheran School (N.Y.), North Carolina
Liam McNeeley (F): Montverde Academy (Florida), Indiana
Tahaad Pettiford (G): Hudson Catholic Regional High School (N.J.), Auburn
Drake Powell (G): Northwood High School (N.C.), North Carolina
Jayden Quaintance (F): Word of God Christian Academy (N.C.), Kentucky
Derik Queen (C): Montverde Academy (Florida), Uncommitted
Bryson Tucker (F): Bishop O'Connell High School (Virginia), Uncommitted

West Roster

Airious Bailey (F): McEachern High School (Georgia), Rutgers
Flory Bidunga (C): Kokomo High School (Indiana), Kansas
Carter Bryant (F): Centennial High School (California), Arizona
Vazoumana Diallo (G): Prolific Prep of Napa Christian (California), Washington
Valdez Edgecombe, Jr. (G): Long Island Lutheran High School (N.Y.), Baylor
Donavan Freeman (F): IMG Academy (Florida), Syracuse
Dylan Harper (G): Don Bosco Preparatory High School (N.J.), Rutgers
Richard Johnson (G): Link Academy (Missouri), Texas
Karter Knox (G): Overtime Elite Academy (Georgia), Uncommitted
Trent Perry (G): Harvard-Westlake School (California), Southern California
Derrion Reid (F): Prolific Prep of Napa Christian (California), Alabama
Aiden Sherrell (C): Prolific Prep of Napa Christian (California), Alabama
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#24 » by retrobro90 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:53 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:McDonald's All-America Game is tomorrow and it's on ESPN for those of you who'd like to catch all the top guys on the same court together for the first time.

East Roster

Jalil Bethea (G): Archbishop Wood High School (Pennsylvania), Miami (Fla.)
John Bol (C): Overtime Elite Academy (Georgia), Ole Miss
Isaiah Evans (F): North Mecklenburg High School (N.C.), Duke
Cooper Flagg (F): Montverde Academy (Florida), Duke
Johnuel Fland (G): Archbishop Stepinac High School (N.Y.), Kentucky
Ian Jackson (F): Our Saviour Lutheran School (N.Y.), North Carolina
Liam McNeeley (F): Montverde Academy (Florida), Indiana
Tahaad Pettiford (G): Hudson Catholic Regional High School (N.J.), Auburn
Drake Powell (G): Northwood High School (N.C.), North Carolina
Jayden Quaintance (F): Word of God Christian Academy (N.C.), Kentucky
Derik Queen (C): Montverde Academy (Florida), Uncommitted
Bryson Tucker (F): Bishop O'Connell High School (Virginia), Uncommitted

West Roster

Airious Bailey (F): McEachern High School (Georgia), Rutgers
Flory Bidunga (C): Kokomo High School (Indiana), Kansas
Carter Bryant (F): Centennial High School (California), Arizona
Vazoumana Diallo (G): Prolific Prep of Napa Christian (California), Washington
Valdez Edgecombe, Jr. (G): Long Island Lutheran High School (N.Y.), Baylor
Donavan Freeman (F): IMG Academy (Florida), Syracuse
Dylan Harper (G): Don Bosco Preparatory High School (N.J.), Rutgers
Richard Johnson (G): Link Academy (Missouri), Texas
Karter Knox (G): Overtime Elite Academy (Georgia), Uncommitted
Trent Perry (G): Harvard-Westlake School (California), Southern California
Derrion Reid (F): Prolific Prep of Napa Christian (California), Alabama
Aiden Sherrell (C): Prolific Prep of Napa Christian (California), Alabama

Lots to like about this class. Breath of fresh air after so much stewing over 2024.

Harper and Queen took home Co-MVPs but I was really impressed with Fland. Bursty and creative passer. Really liked his separation and it led to so many looks (especially in this kind of setting). But seeing outlier athleticism in these games always sticks out for me in projecting who will/will not have difficulty transitioning to playing against better athletes. On the flipside of that I'm not quite as enthused with Harper who played a nice game but wasn't quite passing the same eye test imo.

Flagg did all the little stuff and I think he's gonna be project as a +/- darling type regardless of if he ever materializes into a true star further down the road. He has some really impressive outlets and defensive ability. The difference is gonna be how dynamic he can be in the half court and after 1-2 dribbles.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie

Post#25 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:41 am

That was a very fun, competitive game. I think it's safe to say the OAD class from 2025 is much stronger than 2024. If its international class is strong (doesn't appear to be) and depending on the returning class, this could be up there with the 2017 and 2018 draft classes. It's weird that people were saying it's a weaker class or maybe that was before Flagg re-classfied? Flagg, Pate, Johnson, Bailey, Queen and Harper are really strong prospects. A few other guys like Powell, Jackson and Edgecomb had moments too.

Quaintance has #1 type talent but he's not in this class. Kentucky is going to be really good.

Rutgers getting both Bailey and Harper is crazy. How?

After seeing Flagg against his peers, not having the overwhelming size and talent advantage like he did in high school, I think I and others should maybe temper some expectations. Maybe we got ahead of ourselves. I think his shot is concerning. Lot of moving parts. His path to being special is to be a point forward running an offense. He didn't really get to do that so he wasn't going to shine like he should but there's still flaws to be concerned about.

Bailey isn't his listed 6'9" to 6'10" height. He's clearly an inch plus shorter than Flagg so not the outlier scouts have led us to believe. But, he's probably the #2 kid in this class as of now. Just a really natural basketball player that plays both ends and can score the rock.

Harper isn't his listed 6'5" size. Probably closer to 6'3" but I like him a lot. Probably would have him on par with Carrington, Collier and Castle. He's definitely a future NBA starter with an NBA body. He's built similar to Harden.

Queen is out of shape and a below the rim athlete but I love his game. Great hands, good passer, good perimeter defense despite being being out of shape. He needs to hit the juice and if he was able to get sculpted and improve his quickness and vertical he'd be a great center prospect.

Johnson looks to be a Sharpe level SG and I like him a lot. Instance offense and potential high level two-way player.

I think Pate is a legit 6'8" and is a point forward like Flagg. I wouldn't be surprised if he's pushing Bailey to be the #2 guy come the draft.

There are going to be twenty dudes we didn't get to see that will make up the rest of the first round. It's early. Looking forward to the Summer tournaments to see more of them play.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,677

Post#26 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:46 am

Ace Bailey might be the big prize of this draft. I know Cooper is legit, but Bailey athleticism puts him on a different level. If this man gets his jumpshot my goodness he has Tmac kind of potential as a scorer.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,979

Post#27 » by BigGargamel » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:53 am

Flagg seems like a glue guy on steroids if that makes sense. Does so much out there, maybe doesn't stand out all the time, but he's going to be great. I don't think he's a slam dunk #1 guy though, Baily and a couple others are going to give him a run for his money.
zike_42
Sixth Man
And1: 501

Post#28 » by zike_42 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:01 am

Question about the All-American game: why aren't all the top ranked players in the game? I don't really follow HS stuff (apart from what's here), but I'm seeing the rankings and there's a #38 ranked guy, and quite a few in the 20s. Is it that some aren't available?
RyugaFan
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#29 » by RyugaFan » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:24 am

Dylan Harper's interesting if he's actually wing size
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,208

Post#30 » by FrodoBaggins » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:08 am

What's Flagg's floor? A more durable Jonathon Isaac that can pass? Advanced statistics/one-number metrics have Isaac as the most impactful defender per possession this season. That's a player I'd rather have than a mediocre shot-creator like Jalen Green. We have a tendency to get too caught up in the ceiling of a player. History tells us most of these potential "star" shot creators rarely pan out.

It looks like Flagg is going to be one of those players whose impact comes more from his defense, passing, and off-ball scoring. A potential DPOY-level impact on defense and a connective tissue player on offense. Scottie Pippen and Kevin Garnett are the highest-end players who fit this mold. And they're some of the most impactful players per the numbers.
penggemar
Sophomore
And1: 161

Post#31 » by penggemar » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:11 pm

Cooper Flagg - as the previous poster above mentioned, is a glue guy who will contribute to a winning team, offensively nothing special unless he improves his shooting and learns some bag of tricks (he should train with Luka), the higher ceiling is on his defensive aspect.
Dylan Harper - is less skillful, but more competitive than James Harden.
Ace Bailey - is not as good as a long-range shooter, but he is more competitive than Paul George.
Derik Queen - will thrive on a slow-tempo game, a fierce tenacious rebounder.
VJ Edgecombe - a little bit small, but he will contribute anyway due to his tenacity and athleticism.
Tre Johnson - Malik Monk scorer type.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,301

Post#32 » by babyjax13 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:23 am

My students said Bronny James was touring Loyola Marymount today. No idea if that is true, and even if he did I don't know that he'd transfer here rather than somewhere like Peperdine, Santa Clara, or Saint Mary's that are often a bit better. Sounds like he may be looking for small schools where he can have a bigger role.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,082

Post#33 » by sisibilio » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:58 pm

Mario Saint-Supery has been somewhat overshadowed by the likes of Hugo Gonzalez, Mara, Almansa or Miller among spanish prospects but he's been brilliant playing for Tizona Burgos, one of the top teams in spanish LEB oro (2nd division) which is very impressive for a 17 YO.
Similar physical profile to Calderon although much more proficient scorer and shot creator than Jose was at his age.

Read on Twitter
?t=UsDKZAJr-obfHAIdw2PC7Q

If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,677

Post#34 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:38 pm

BigGargamel wrote:Flagg seems like a glue guy on steroids if that makes sense. Does so much out there, maybe doesn't stand out all the time, but he's going to be great. I don't think he's a slam dunk #1 guy though, Baily and a couple others are going to give him a run for his money.

Just say AK47 2.0 8-)
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,979

Post#35 » by BigGargamel » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:49 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:Flagg seems like a glue guy on steroids if that makes sense. Does so much out there, maybe doesn't stand out all the time, but he's going to be great. I don't think he's a slam dunk #1 guy though, Baily and a couple others are going to give him a run for his money.

Just say AK47 2.0 8-)

:lol: I hate automatically comparing white guys to white guys but it does make sense. I'll let you say it though, not me.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 737

Post#36 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:20 pm

The Flagg-AK47 comparison isn't very good as Flagg has so so length as of now.

Flagg wingspan: 7'0" or 7'1"?
AK47 wingspan: 7'4"

Flagg really needs to grow a bit more before it's easy to project him as an elite NBA defender. 6'8" or 6'9" with a 7'0" or 7'1" wingspan is not size that suggests super high defensive upside.

Would greatly prefer he grow to like 6'10" with a 7'2" wingspan so he can play center and play so-so defense there while being an elite offensive player due to being able to shoot and dribble a bit.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#37 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:46 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:The Flagg-AK47 comparison isn't very good as Flagg has so so length as of now.

Flagg wingspan: 7'0" or 7'1"?
AK47 wingspan: 7'4"

Flagg really needs to grow a bit more before it's easy to project him as an elite NBA defender. 6'8" or 6'9" with a 7'0" or 7'1" wingspan is not size that suggests super high defensive upside.

Would greatly prefer he grow to like 6'10" with a 7'2" wingspan so he can play center and play so-so defense there while being an elite offensive player due to being able to shoot and dribble a bit.

Isaac wingspan is 7' no?

Does he have the elite defensive brain is the question.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 737

Post#38 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:00 pm

I do think it's really questionable how valuable Flagg can be unless he becomes just an elite elite shooter.

Really high level defensive PFs are just... Not super valuable? Defenders can impact the game less than offensive players, especially non-centers.

If Flagg doesn't become a 98th+ percentile shooter and doesn't grow to like 6'10", 245, his ceiling would be like... OG Anunoby with more shot blocking?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Post#39 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:47 pm

is this the worst Kentucky recruiting class in years? Only 1 5* who's not even really that good tbh
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,301

Post#40 » by babyjax13 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:56 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:I do think it's really questionable how valuable Flagg can be unless he becomes just an elite elite shooter.

Really high level defensive PFs are just... Not super valuable? Defenders can impact the game less than offensive players, especially non-centers.

If Flagg doesn't become a 98th+ percentile shooter and doesn't grow to like 6'10", 245, his ceiling would be like... OG Anunoby with more shot blocking?

How valuable would Marion be in today's game? Not saying that is his closest comparison, but Marion was a non elite shooter who took threes on reasonable but not super high volume.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to NBA Draft