FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 855

Re: Your Lottery Big Boards 

Post#61 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:09 am

clyde21 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
I think he goes from being an afterthought before the tourney to a mid SRP. He has super quick hands for a guy his size as shown by his steal %, pretty nice motor, good athleticism, quality rebounder.

But he isnt a shooter and may be closer to 6'9 than 7'0 IMO. He didnt really show marked improvement in his FT year over year so I seriously doubt he ever builds a shooting game.

Guys with his skillset dont really get drafted high, at least at 6'9. He is like a Bruno Fernando, and Bruno Fernando's are not really lighting the league on fire lately. (Fernando actually was a MUCH better FT shooter, passer and even attempted a few 3's in college).

So I really dont see much demand for Dante - but a team will swing on him if he measures well and if they need a backup that can body the big boys and rebound.

Achiuwa, Stewart, Okongwu, Bam, Jones, Jackson, Garuba, and Duren all drafted in the first. I think Dante is taller than 6'9" though. There's always going to be demand for shot-blocking centers that can move laterally and hold their own on switches. They don't light the league on fire but every single team needs them. If they can develop an outside shot or become a half-way decent FT shooter it's gravy.

all those guys you mentioned were freshmen, Dante is a 5th year

what's your point? He contended that "Guys with his skillset don't really get drafted high, at least at 6'9." so I provided a list of guys that have proving that claim false. Nobody has claimed Dante will go high
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie

Post#62 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:17 am

BigGargamel wrote:I don't think Dante will be drafted. Fifth year senior with a ton of mileage on those legs, and has missed a bunch of games. But definitely my projection to be a Duop Reath that works his way from a two-way guy to a standard contract one day. He'll just have to earn it the hard way most likely.

He really doesn't have "a ton of mileage" though. He played a grand total of 18 games his first two college seasons. He only played 20 mpg as a junior. Knecht, has played in as many games (not even counting JUCO) as Dante and nobody seems to care about his mileage. You might be right about him not getting drafted. Because he's exactly what I think the Kings need and because he could be available with our mid-second round pick I view him differently than I otherwise would. We need a defensive presence next to Sabonis, someone that won't need years to develop and can contribute right way. We are cap strapped and have no high picks. He's about the best I can think of. And if he measures 6'11" with a solid wingspan he might not even last to our pick.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,202

Post#63 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:43 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Achiuwa, Stewart, Okongwu, Bam, Jones, Jackson, Garuba, and Duren all drafted in the first. I think Dante is taller than 6'9" though. There's always going to be demand for shot-blocking centers that can move laterally and hold their own on switches. They don't light the league on fire but every single team needs them. If they can develop an outside shot or become a half-way decent FT shooter it's gravy.

what's your point? He contended that "Guys with his skillset don't really get drafted high, at least at 6'9." so I provided a list of guys that have proving that claim false. Nobody has claimed Dante will go high

the point is GMs will overlook skill deficiencies in freshmen a lot more than 5th year seniors
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie

Post#64 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:25 pm

clyde21 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

the point is GMs will overlook skill deficiencies in freshmen a lot more than 5th year seniors

Claim: "Guys with his skillset don't really get drafted high, at least at 6'9"

Me: here's a list of guys around that height with similar skillsets that DID get drafted high

You: nuh uh...Dante is a 5th year and those were freshmen

Again, unprovoked and completely irrelevant. The claim I refuted didn't mention age, just their size and skillset. Not sure why you're chiming in except to be argumentative about something nobody is arguing?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#65 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:58 pm

I would argue that most of those guys are much bouncier than Dante and nearly all have positional versatility in their abilities to guard PF.

I dont think Dante is anything but a true C. The closest comparison I can think of is Neemias Queta. As w/ Queta I think he can be a 3rd string center with some value based on matchup.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,165

Post#66 » by JMAC3 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:23 pm

Updated Big Board

Tier 1- Franchise Players/All Star locks
- none

Tier 2- Starters with AllStar Upside
1. Nikola Topic
2. Ron Holland
3. Alex Sarr

Tier 3- Balanced Starters
4. Zaccharie Risacher
5. Stephon Castle
6. Cody Williams

Tier 4- Talented, but bust potential
7. Matas Buzelis
8. Isaiah Collier
9. Rob Dillingham
10. Tidjane Saluan

Tier 5- Low End Starters/Key Bench
11. Jakobe Walter
12. Donovan Clingan
13. Dalton Knecht
14. Kyle Filipowski
15. Reed Sheppard

Tier 6- Best of Rest
16. Dalton Holmes
17. Bub Carrington
18. Johnny Furphy
19. Tyler Smith
20. Jared McCain
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
clyde21
RealGM

Post#67 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:32 pm

updated, final before combine

1 Alexandre Sarr
2 Rob Dillingham
3 Matas Buzelis

4 Donovan Clingan
5 Reed Sheppard
6 Nikola Topic
7 Stephon Castle
8 Kyle Filipowski
9 Jared McCain
10 Dalton Knecht
11 Ja'Kobe Walter
12 Kel'El Ware
13 Cody Williams
14 Johnny Furphy
15 Ron Holland
16 Zaccharie Risacher
17 Kyshawn George
18 Oso Ighodaro
19 Jalen Bridges
20 Bub Carrington
21 Isaiah Collier
22 Terrence Shannon Jr.

few notes:

- moved Sarr to #1 instead of Dilly, even though I am not in love with Sarr or really any of the top 3 guys but these would be my bets for the best players that will come out of this class at this point. just hard to justify a 6-1 cat #1 overall at this point, and Sarr brings enough athletically and has more of a #1 ceiling than Dilly or Buz.

- really tier 2 is a mess. not a huge talent gap tbh btw a lot of these guys, a lot of it would depend on high floor vs. high ceiling...also the wings in this class are driving me crazy, I have no idea what to do with Williams, Holland, George or Risacher. all their potential outcomes are all over the place.

- included my two favorite sleepers in this class, Ighodaro and Bridges, because I can't convince myself that in this class I shouldn't start looking at them in that range.
RyugaFan
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#68 » by RyugaFan » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:36 am

Mccain is not a top 10 prospect. The playmaking and athleticism is horrible for a guard
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#69 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:07 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Updated Big Board

- none

1. Nikola Topic
2. Ron Holland
3. Alex Sarr

4. Zaccharie Risacher
5. Stephon Castle
6. Cody Williams

7. Matas Buzelis
8. Isaiah Collier
9. Rob Dillingham
10. Tidjane Saluan

11. Jakobe Walter
12. Donovan Clingan
13. Dalton Knecht
14. Kyle Filipowski
15. Reed Sheppard

Tier 6- Best of Rest
16. Dalton Holmes
17. Bub Carrington
18. Johnny Furphy
19. Tyler Smith
20. Jared McCain

Rob Dillingham is giving me Cam Thomas vibes the more I look at him.

Big concerns on size, defense, but ultimately scoring 23/24 ppg per 36 as a freshman in the SEC is probably too good to ignore. Feels like he will be getting buckets in at least some form or fashion at the next level, just unsure if anything else translates.
Big Board
clyde21
RealGM

Post#70 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:26 pm

Dilly is just way better and smarter than Cam, Cam was/is a blackhole completely incapable of playing in an overarching system, Dilly is much more efficient and a much better fit in a broader range of schemes, also more explosive athletically.

defensive questions are fair and will always be a concern for 6-1 cats not named Cp3 or Tre Jones.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#71 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:38 pm

clyde21 wrote:Dilly is just way better and smarter than Cam, Cam was/is a blackhole completely incapable of playing in an overarching system, Dilly is much more efficient and a much better fit in a broader range of schemes, also more explosive athletically.

defensive questions are fair and will always be a concern for 6-1 cats not named Cp3 or Tre Jones.

Yeah I think they are different, but also the same. If Dillingham mins are pushed up and more of a defensive focal point I think his overall eff% numbers have to come down at least a few points if he kept the same usage.

TS% for Cam was 55.3%
TS% for Dilly was 59.5%

If Dilly can't transition to PG then this comp makes a ton of sense of just an undersized bucket getter.
Big Board
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie

Post#72 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:43 pm

JMAC3 wrote:

- none

1. Nikola Topic
2. Ron Holland
3. Alex Sarr

4. Zaccharie Risacher
5. Stephon Castle
6. Cody Williams

7. Matas Buzelis
8. Isaiah Collier
9. Rob Dillingham
10. Tidjane Saluan

11. Jakobe Walter
12. Donovan Clingan
13. Dalton Knecht
14. Kyle Filipowski
15. Reed Sheppard

Tier 6- Best of Rest
16. Dalton Holmes
17. Bub Carrington
18. Johnny Furphy
19. Tyler Smith
20. Jared McCain

Big concerns on size, defense, but ultimately scoring 23/24 ppg per 36 as a freshman in the SEC is probably too good to ignore. Feels like he will be getting buckets in at least some form or fashion at the next level, just unsure if anything else translates.

if you told me a team would draft Dillingham and build around him and ignore his defense, turnovers and leadership, or that had length and defense around him to protect him, I'd have him #1 on my board. He has a combination of Iverson and Trae type offense. To me, he's a better prospect than Trae because there's actually been some glimpses of him trying on defense at least as an on-ball pest coming up the floor and we never saw that from Trae.

There ARE a few landing spots where this could happen and if I knew he'd land there I'd move him up. I think he'd start immediately for ORL, CHI, BK, LAL, and SA and could be a star for those franchises. Anywhere else and he'll just end up being an off the bench scorer. But again, I don't think he'll ever be a winning player (maybe with the Spurs since they have defenders around him already in place) so where should he land? How high do you put a guy that can produce like Trae Young but that you're convinced won't be a winning player unless he's in the perfect situation?
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#73 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:48 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

- none

1. Nikola Topic
2. Ron Holland
3. Alex Sarr

4. Zaccharie Risacher
5. Stephon Castle
6. Cody Williams

7. Matas Buzelis
8. Isaiah Collier
9. Rob Dillingham
10. Tidjane Saluan

11. Jakobe Walter
12. Donovan Clingan
13. Dalton Knecht
14. Kyle Filipowski
15. Reed Sheppard

Tier 6- Best of Rest
16. Dalton Holmes
17. Bub Carrington
18. Johnny Furphy
19. Tyler Smith
20. Jared McCain

if you told me a team would draft Dillingham and build around him and ignore his defense, turnovers and leadership, or that had length and defense around him to protect him, I'd have him #1 on my board. He has a combination of Iverson and Trae type offense. To me, he's a better prospect than Trae because there's actually been some glimpses of him trying on defense at least as an on-ball pest coming up the floor and we never saw that from Trae.

There ARE a few landing spots where this could happen and if I knew he'd land there I'd move him up. I think he'd start immediately for ORL, CHI, BK, LAL, and SA and could be a star for those franchises. Anywhere else and he'll just end up being an off the bench scorer. But again, I don't think he'll ever be a winning player (maybe with the Spurs since they have defenders around him already in place) so where should he land? How high do you put a guy that can produce like Trae Young but that you're convinced won't be a winning player unless he's in the perfect situation?

If he were as good or better prospect than Trae then you take him #1 in this draft. Most teams would trade the #1 pick for Trae even given his age, contract etc now. Let Alone 8 guaranteed years of control and being 19 yrs old again. What are we doing here?
Big Board
clyde21
RealGM

Post#74 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:50 pm

Cam TS% was skewed by his high FTr at 88%, his eFG% is much worse than Dillys...Dilly shoots 44% from 3 while Cam was shooting 32%...not even close
clyde21
RealGM

Post#75 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:54 pm

also i will mention that Dilly has 9 assists per 100 poss, while Cam Thomas had an absurd 2.3 assists per 100 poss, like historically low, i even mentioned at the time in the Cam Thomas thread that he was a historic blackhole on offense

i don't know how he didn't get his ass kicked by his teammates every time they left the court.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#76 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:05 pm

I mean Cam had a way higher FTr, less do with his FT%.
27.1% for Dilly and shot 3.1 per game
44% Cam was and shot 7.6 per game

Dillingham also played on a team that ranked #1 in 3pt shooting % and 16th in 3s made in the country. All the Kentucky guards assist numbers are probably a good bit inflated due to that. I still give the edge to Dillingham here, but I don't see him as some great passer in the NBA based on what I have seen.

Tankathon has Cam and Dillingham proj 3pt% both at 38.5% which is what Cam shot last year and 36.5% this year. Unless you think Dillingham is somehow keeping that 44% it probably isn't some huge future predictor.
Big Board

Return to NBA Draft