Jared McCain

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 855

Jared McCain 

Post#1 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:40 am

someone remarked in another thread that we seemed to lack dedicated threads for some of the lottery talents beyond the half dozen we have. Well, here's one for McCain.

He's a very interesting prospect. Like with Sheppard and Dillingham he's playing combo guard. Like them, he's very capable of running an offense in college and like them he's excellent off-ball as either a scorer or secondary facilitator. I think talent-wise these three are very closely stacked. Great shooters, high BBIQ and hard workers. That said, I have McCain higher on my board for a few reasons.

1) he's the best off-ball of the three. Sheppard and Dillingham certainly perform well on C & S threes but they're mostly stationary as Kentucky slashers (them included) collapse the defense and it leaves guys wide open. McCain on the other hand is running all over the court, sideline to sideline, through screens and various actions. Like them he gets his fair share of wide open C&S threes but he also comes off curls resulting in mid-range jumpers and attacking the basket. Dillingham does some of this too but it's very rare for Sheppard. I think McCain is among the best off-ball players in the draft along with others like Karaban and Knecht. This ability guarantees him (and them) roles at the next level.

2) He's bigger. He's probably only 1/2 inch plus taller but he's wider with a more powerful base. This will allow him to defend better against bigger guys on switches. It's also surprisingly allowed him to post guys up though this will likely be limited to college

Here's a photo for size comparisons:

https://breaking-the-press.com/2023-mcdonalds-all-american-game-recap/

He's clearly taller and has tree trunks for legs. I'd say 6'2.5" to Sheppard's 6'2" and Dillingham's 6'1". Bronny at 6'3" and Collier at 6'4" to the left btw.

3) he can create for himself. Obviously not as good as Dillingham off the dribble but just as effective at getting by guys and creating for himself. Much better in this than Sheppard

4) he's a better rebounder. It's not just that he's bigger but it's that he takes pride in it.

Like with Sheppard and Dillingham it's unclear what will translate to the NBA. I think more of his game will than theirs which is why I have him in the lottery. I think he's Desmond Bane 2.0. There's a greater chance he replicates Bane's role but there's also a chance he improves his handle and lateral quickness enough to be able to play point guard and defend the position.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Re: Jared McCain 

Post#2 » by The Moose » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:28 pm

He's the real deal, and should be firmly in top 10 discussions if not top 5 imo

Ability to get to the rim: shot 61% at the rim in the halfcourt on good volume and 77.4% unassisted

Elite shooter: 41% on 11 3pt/100, over 200 attempts. 88.5% FT. 61% TS for the season

Production against elite teams: 9.2 BPM vs top 50 teams in 14 games this season (only other guys at this mark since 2010 are Suggs, Smart, Mclemore, Beal and Simmons, all top 7 picks)

Wish he was a few inches taller, but still a very decent prospect
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,263

Post#3 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:45 am

Need to see those measurements. I am a skeptic. He can shoot the ball though. I'm also not sure he can guard anyone without flopping.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,979

Post#4 » by BigGargamel » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:47 pm

He was my pick to be the best guy taken outside of the lottery, but now I think he goes in the lottery, especially if he can show teams he can run the point.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#5 » by Notanoob » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:46 am

On the negative side, he really looks like a straight up SG to me, but with PG size, and he's a sophomore aged freshman, and he can't defend anyone. All serious things to consider.

On the positive side, the shooting is absolutely legit. I feel like there are a lot of these guys these days, who you say "pair him with a SG sized dude who can run the offense for you". If you've got one of those, like Dallas, you fit him into the Seth Curry role of off-ball menace.
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#6 » by namlede » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:01 pm

I mean he put up multiple 30 point games in the tourney as a freshman that’s got to count for something. How many freshman have done that? Not many I assume.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Post#7 » by esvl » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:58 am

He lacks NBA size; he doesn’t nave any elite skills, even one. Meh at best.
RyugaFan
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#8 » by RyugaFan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:43 am

The shooting is pretty elite, it might be enough to keep him on a team. But yeah not enough to be a serious difference maker.

Return to NBA Draft