Favorite Mock Draft Site

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

louc1970
Senior
And1: 149

Favorite Mock Draft Site 

Post#1 » by louc1970 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:57 pm

What is your favorite mock draft site? I tend to gravitate towards the ones with composite rankings.
Several of the sites a varying a tremendous amount at the moment.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,962

Re: Favorite Mock Draft Site 

Post#2 » by BigGargamel » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:49 pm

Anywhere but NBA Draft.net. I can't believe that place is still around, and respected. It's been a mess for a decade plus.

I like Tankathon. I tend to agree with their rankings more than most, and I like the information displayed on the player pages.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,501

Post#3 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:53 pm

BigGargamel wrote:Anywhere but NBA Draft.net. I can't believe that place is still around, and respected. It's been a mess for a decade plus.

I like Tankathon. I tend to agree with their rankings more than most, and I like the information displayed on the player pages.

Speaking of old sites Pro Sports Daily and Hoopsworld brings back memories. They still running strong lol
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#4 » by shangrila » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:17 pm

Depends.

I like both Wasserman from Bleacher Report and Peak from Yahoo Sports for mock drafts. Peak seems to know her stuff and doesn't appear to be influenced by consensus, which makes for an interesting read. Wasserman does good breakdowns and I like the full 2 round mocks with prospect breakdowns he puts out, since a lot of sites stop at one round, no breakdowns, or some combination of both.

Tankathon is good for a quick statistical overview of prospects and their comparison feature is useful. I don't buy their rankings too much, since I remember a few years ago the guy who runs it saying he was more of a casual than a serious scout (which is fine, and the resource he created is incredible, but I'd just rather go to others for actual rankings).

No Ceilings deserves a mention as well if only for the sheer volume of free content they put out. I do think they have some overall issues that stop them from being an automatic recommendation but there's a lot of great content them. Anything from Maxwell Baumbach (sp?) especially is a good read.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#5 » by Klomp » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:26 pm

The closer we get to the draft, the more I like The Ringer. I really like Vecenie's draft guide he releases too.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#6 » by Big J » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:35 pm

Dean on draft is the only guy that actually does his own rankings without looking at consensus mocks and tweaking a guy up a spot or 2 from there. He completely nailed the Scoot stuff last year.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,019

Post#8 » by Chi town » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:27 pm

I like YT Hoop Intellect. Kid has nuanced insights.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 149

Post#9 » by louc1970 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

TY
Just curious as like to compare many the day of and then after the draft. However I did not know of all these that well.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,255

Post#10 » by Catchall » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:33 pm

Last year, Coach Adam Sims was one of the best draft analysts. Not sure what happened to him.

Also, Yahoo Sports' mock drafts are usually pretty good. I've liked NBA Draftroom in the past, but they're off a bit this year.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Felixians4
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#11 » by Felixians4 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:08 pm

NBA Draft Room, but yes, agree with Catchall, he is low this year, not inspiring. I have to recommend one Serbian guy on X, HoopsConsinneur
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,466

Post#12 » by Saints14 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:57 pm

- Vecenie/The Athletic is probably the best draft writer, has a great pod and his yearly book-length draft guide is incredible
- ESPN is still probably the intel leader for the latest on draft stock and team interest. Though I hate how their mocks now are just lists with a few player highlights at the bottom and they are obviously more news/headline focused than the others
- No Ceilings is a great collective for sheer volume and aggregation. I feel like some of those guys are going to get hired by a team or bigger outlet soon
- I personally am a fan of Dean on Draft for his contrarianism and novel approach, and he’s the only one that will acknowledge (usually bluntly) that most prospects will be nothing special. Presumably it’s because he doesn’t care about building relationships for intel, but I appreciate it because most analysts will gush about everyone on their board regardless of where they are, which feels like a cop out to me (like, if you have a late first grade on a guy you should acknowledge that means you think he’s more likely than not to fail)
- Also should give Rafael Barlowe a shout out, I don’t pay for his content bc I am already subscribed to NC but he has nailed a few against the grain picks lately with his Paolo at 1, Miller at 2 and GG Jackson mid-first takes
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,221

Post#13 » by niQ » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:21 pm

Catchall wrote:Last year, Coach Adam Sims was one of the best draft analysts. Not sure what happened to him.

Also, Yahoo Sports' mock drafts are usually pretty good. I've liked NBA Draftroom in the past, but they're off a bit this year.

Do you mean Coach Spins, Adam Spinella of The Box and One? He accepted a scouting role with the 76ers.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#14 » by TB » Mon Apr 1, 2024 7:25 pm

NBA Draft Room has the funniest player comparisons. Even more outlandish than the old NBAdraft.net ones.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Post#15 » by zzaj » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:26 pm

Saints14 wrote:- Vecenie/The Athletic is probably the best draft writer, has a great pod and his yearly book-length draft guide is incredible
- ESPN is still probably the intel leader for the latest on draft stock and team interest. Though I hate how their mocks now are just lists with a few player highlights at the bottom and they are obviously more news/headline focused than the others
- No Ceilings is a great collective for sheer volume and aggregation. I feel like some of those guys are going to get hired by a team or bigger outlet soon
- I personally am a fan of Dean on Draft for his contrarianism and novel approach, and he’s the only one that will acknowledge (usually bluntly) that most prospects will be nothing special. Presumably it’s because he doesn’t care about building relationships for intel, but I appreciate it because most analysts will gush about everyone on their board regardless of where they are, which feels like a cop out to me (like, if you have a late first grade on a guy you should acknowledge that means you think he’s more likely than not to fail)
- Also should give Rafael Barlowe a shout out, I don’t pay for his content bc I am already subscribed to NC but he has nailed a few against the grain picks lately with his Paolo at 1, Miller at 2 and GG Jackson mid-first takes

+1 for Rafel Barlowe...he often has insider knowledge about prospects that he leaks out, which I find valuable. As an example this year, from the beginning he's been super high on Salaun after seeing him multiple times up close via private trips across the pond and having access to that team's inner circle. He was the first person I heard say that he wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Salaun ends up a better player than any of the French players.

Return to NBA Draft