Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,861

Highest BBIQ, Best Energy, and Feel For the Game Prospects in '24 Draft 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:48 am

Inspired by the 'strongest most explosive prospects' thread and wanting to expedite the sifting process via others' knowledge of players, I want to know about the best overlap of BBIQ, hustle, and feel for the game among those entering this upcoming draft.

Some may have *it* in any one of these categories, and that's good to know, too. But I'm most interested in who makes the most of his BBIQ/hustle/feel.

They may not have the highest ceiling or be considered the best prospects, but in such a crapshoot draft, I'd rather bank on a player that has the highest overlap of these qualities than variance of floors and ceilings.

Thanks.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,302

Re: Highest BBIQ, Best Energy, and Feel For the Game Prospects in '24 Draft 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:09 am

Best feel: I think Kyshawn George is pretty high feel for how young and physically underdeveloped he was. It was entirely on "feel" that he was able to see minutes and eventually take a place in the rotation.

Highest BBIQ: IMO, pretty easily this is Topic. The way he manipulates defenses with his passing/fakes reminds me a bit of Haliburton. It's not that he is an excellent passer, it's that he manipulates the defense so that his passes go to players in positions where they will be successful.

Boring runner up, but for Reed Sheppard to do what he did I think it takes some pretty high BBIQ + processing. He doesn't have elite physical traits and was still incredibly disruptive defensively.

Best energy: highest motor might be Ron Holland, but it's pretty chaotic. Devin Carter and Ryan Dunn also feel like great mentions here.

Best combination of all of it? I'm not sure, I feel like this is a draft where you might have to pick between the three. I'll say McCain because he rebounds the heck out of the ball for his size and is really active off-ball as a shooter, but I am not super confident this is the answer, especially given his other defensive shortcomings. Reed Sheppard might be the other guy here? I also love Reed for the Spurs, especially if there is some untapped playmaking there.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,364

Post#3 » by 2weekswithpay » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:18 pm

There are 5 prospects I believe are pluses in all 3 categories. Reed Sheppard, Donovan Clingan, Tristan Da Silva, Stephon Castle, and Tyler Kolek.

Reed Sheppard: He simply has a knack for knowing where to be on the defense. Sheppard forced a large amount of TOs with his off-ball defense and while he can get caught ball-watching at times, you don't force as many TOs as Reed did without being a step ahead of the defense. On offense, Sheppard is a good passer, finds guys in transition, cutting to the basket, and on drive and kicks. Most criticism he gets is about his size, athleticism, and role. He knows how to play basketball.

Spoiler:

Donovan Clingan: I might be the only one who thinks Clingan deserves a mention. He's been compared to Walker Kessler but that comparison overlooks that Clingan can pass and Kessler couldn't. Clingan has a positive assist-to-turnover ratio with 52 assists to 28 TOs this season. Kessler had 39 assists total at UNC and Auburn. Passing is becoming an important skill for bigs now, and bigs that can make passes in the short roll or on DHOs give offenses more flexibility and another way to attack. He's not Jokic or anything but he's a bit more than a guy who only knows how to set screens and dunk. Also, his defense is just as impactful as the bigs in the previous draft. He knows where to be on defense and is capable of making the right play on offense. Runs well in transition which stresses defenses because of his size and he knows this which is important.

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Tristan Da Silva: Very popular and a riser on draft boards lately. A good all-around player. He can shoot, knows how to move off-ball, can pass, good team defender. Not many red flags with him. One of the safest prospects in the draft because of his all-around skillset and ability to play next to others.

Spoiler:

Stephon Castle: Fierce competitor on both ends and while his shot is broken right now, he creates high-value scoring opportunities for himself and his teammates by attacking in transition, cutting without the ball, and using his size to create openings near the rim.

Spoiler:

Tyler Kolek: The best half-court playmaker out of all the NCAA prospects. Had the 2nd highest AST% of all high major players. Better at getting downhill than you'd think from looking at him. Good PNR passer who knows how to use angles and positioning to create scoring opportunities. Solid at finishing around the basket when going left. Good shooter for the 2nd consecutive season. Not the greatest defender but he competes and generally knows where to be on that end IMO.

Spoiler:

I think these players meet the criteria on both ends of the floor. I avoided one way prospects since they only have good feel on one end or don't hustle. Topic would've been included if he had better defensive effort. Jared McCain could be added.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,803

Post#4 » by greg4012 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:22 pm

I've been diving into DaRon Holmes as a prospect lately. Maybe it's just recency bias, but I feel he fills up each of these 3 buckets
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,262

Post#5 » by Catchall » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:30 pm

Matas Buzelis has high-level feel, ball skills and processing for a 6'9" wing. He still needs to prove his shooting, but he has some Gordon Hayward-like versatility as a connector. He also plays hard consistently and makes the most of his length on defense.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:28 pm

Catchall wrote:Matas Buzelis has high-level feel, ball skills and processing for a 6'9" wing. He still needs to prove his shooting, but he has some Gordon Hayward-like versatility as a connector. He also plays hard consistently and makes the most of his length on defense.

See now this name surprises me.

I thought he was more of a stiff feel wise.

And not the highest motor... but I asked because of others' insights to help me focus on a handful of prospects instead of casting a wider net.

Also surprised no one has said Risacher yet. It's what he's supposed to be known for, apparently.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
penggemar
Sophomore
And1: 161

Post#7 » by penggemar » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:21 am

BBIQ, Risacher will be no slouch. He's got a basketball gene from his father.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,677

Post#8 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:31 am

babyjax13 wrote:Best feel: I think Kyshawn George is pretty high feel for how young and physically underdeveloped he was. It was entirely on "feel" that he was able to see minutes and eventually take a place in the rotation.

Kyshawn George is really growing on me. To the point that I would trade back to nab him mid round.

I feel like he would be a great secondary playmaker to LaMelo. Put Miller at the 3 and watch them grow together.

Where do you have George ranked on your big board?
2weekswithpay
Starter

Post#9 » by 2weekswithpay » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:58 am

G R E Y wrote:
Catchall wrote:Matas Buzelis has high-level feel, ball skills and processing for a 6'9" wing. He still needs to prove his shooting, but he has some Gordon Hayward-like versatility as a connector. He also plays hard consistently and makes the most of his length on defense.

And not the highest motor... but I asked because of others' insights to help me focus on a handful of prospects instead of casting a wider net.

Also surprised no one has said Risacher yet. It's what he's supposed to be known for, apparently.

Risacher is in a slump, he's been pretty bad since February. I don't know if I'd say Risacher has great feel. Players with great feel tend to make plays on at least one end of the floor. Risacher can float around a lot and you sometimes forget he's playing.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#10 » by G R E Y » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:03 am

2weekswithpay wrote:
G R E Y wrote:

Risacher is in a slump, he's been pretty bad since February. I don't know if I'd say Risacher has great feel. Players with great feel tend to make plays on at least one end of the floor. Risacher can float around a lot and you sometimes forget he's playing.

That's the opposite of hustle and effort. But I've heard BBIQ attributed to him. And I guess I can account for the inconsistent effort to youth - but only somewhat. We've scouted him plenty, so a slump won't necessarily affect the impression. Disappearing in games might...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,302

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:29 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Best feel: I think Kyshawn George is pretty high feel for how young and physically underdeveloped he was. It was entirely on "feel" that he was able to see minutes and eventually take a place in the rotation.

Kyshawn George is really growing on me. To the point that I would trade back to nab him mid round.

I feel like he would be a great secondary playmaker to LaMelo. Put Miller at the 3 and watch them grow together.

I have him first but I fully admit that may be crazy. I have he, Topic, and Williams really close on my board followed by Holland.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,677

Post#12 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:13 am

babyjax13 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

I have him first but I fully admit that may be crazy. I have he, Topic, and Williams really close on my board followed by Holland.

Yeah it does seem crazy, but given his skillset I can see him having the highest potential. A 6'8 wing with guard skills and can also shoot the 3 is the modern day prototype for a wing. My only concern about George is his lack of explosiveness. Then again that might just be the way he plays under the rim and under control.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Post#13 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:15 am

good call outs in this thread already but I'll throw in Oso's name for highest BBIQ
2weekswithpay
Starter

Post#14 » by 2weekswithpay » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:07 pm

G R E Y wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:
G R E Y wrote:See now this name surprises me.

That's the opposite of hustle and effort. But I've heard BBIQ attributed to him. And I guess I can account for the inconsistent effort to youth - but only somewhat. We've scouted him plenty, so a slump won't necessarily affect the impression. Disappearing in games might...

What would you call a player who doesn't make many mistakes but also doesn't make plays a step ahead of the defense/offense?
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#15 » by G R E Y » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:26 pm

2weekswithpay wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:

What would you call a player who doesn't make many mistakes but also doesn't make plays a step ahead of the defense/offense?

Smart but perhaps cautious due to inexperience? Some players would rather err on the side of TOs but effort, other take a more cerebral approach, even if it may come across as more cautious...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
2weekswithpay
Starter

Post#16 » by 2weekswithpay » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:24 pm

G R E Y wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:
G R E Y wrote:That's the opposite of hustle and effort. But I've heard BBIQ attributed to him. And I guess I can account for the inconsistent effort to youth - but only somewhat. We've scouted him plenty, so a slump won't necessarily affect the impression. Disappearing in games might...

Smart but perhaps cautious due to inexperience? Some players would rather err on the side of TOs but effort, other take a more cerebral approach, even if it may come across as more cautious...

I think there's a risk reward aspect to basketball. Not turning the ball over isn't that great or appealing if you're passing up quality scoring opportunities because you're afraid of a TO. Risacher isn't out there making mistakes but nothing about him shows that he processes the game better than his peers IMO.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#17 » by G R E Y » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:09 am

2weekswithpay wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:

I think there's a risk reward aspect to basketball. Not turning the ball over isn't that great or appealing if you're passing up quality scoring opportunities because you're afraid of a TO. Risacher isn't out there making mistakes but nothing about him shows that he processes the game better than his peers IMO.

Oh I see. Do you think that's an essential aspect of his inner composition - as in, there can only so far that essential aspect of a player can be stretched - or do you think it's an aspect of his youth? Isn't he one of the youngest players in the draft?
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
2weekswithpay
Starter

Post#18 » by 2weekswithpay » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:26 am

G R E Y wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Smart but perhaps cautious due to inexperience? Some players would rather err on the side of TOs but effort, other take a more cerebral approach, even if it may come across as more cautious...

Oh I see. Do you think that's an essential aspect of his inner composition - as in, there can only so far that essential aspect of a player can be stretched - or do you think it's an aspect of his youth? Isn't he one of the youngest players in the draft?

I lean towards youth, there's also the skill aspect of it. Risacher has clear limitations athletically and as a ballhandler which certainly impacts decision making.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#19 » by G R E Y » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:06 am

2weekswithpay wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:

I lean towards youth, there's also the skill aspect of it. Risacher has clear limitations athletically and as a ballhandler which certainly impacts decision making.

But these are improvable areas, right? (more so handles. I don't know how a guy becomes more athletic). I'd have to look into his trajectory and level of competition in his career so far...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,706

Post#20 » by Yallbecrazy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:32 pm

Collin Murray-Boyles if he declares is probably #1 in this cross section of items. He's a do it all prospect that excels at passing, cutting, defense, rebounding, gets to the line a lot and finishes extremely well at the rim. Can’t shoot, but is very young and form doesn't look broken.

Return to NBA Draft