NBAMAN New Years Mock (1/2/08)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,549

Post#21 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:21 pm

skones wrote:People look at Beasley's numbers and their jaws drop. He's a very very good prospect but he has A LOT of flaws that his ridiculous stat line doesn't show. He's putting up numbers very very similar to Kevin Durant did at Texas and everybody was smitten with him pre-draft. It seems only logical to do the same with Beasley.

The one thing people definitely need to be concerned about is his actual play. Beasley is absolutely ATROCIOUS on the defensive end. The guy doesn't put ANY effort in at all on that end of the floor. ZERO, ZILCH. Don't you think that raises a huge red flag given his physical ability which he uses so well to dominate on the other end of the floor? He's also a black hole on offense. In other words, if he has the ball it's not getting taken out of his hands. Most importantly, the guy has a decent team around him and he's STILL not winning games he should be. I mean losses to George Mason, Notre Dame, Xavier, and Oregon? Kevin Durant led his team to win after win along with a top national ranking, Michael Beasley isn't.

He's worthy of top 5 pick based on his capabilities, but in no way, shape, or form is he a lock for the number one or number two. A lot of valid arguments can be provided in terms of Rose and Jordan among others to be taken ahead of him.

Two blocks a game seem like a lot for someone who gives zero effort on defense. Do people just shoot the ball into the back of his head?
Every major mock draft has Beasley listed at #1 right now, I thinks its ridiculous to dismiss in anyway for the Wolves.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#22 » by BigSlam » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:04 pm

wolves_fan_82au wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
we dont even know yet how foye will do at pg he may even be moved too sg

Then what about Bassy, McCants, Brewer, Green as well as Foye?

It would seem you'd have a glut of players at the wing if you brought in Rose.
B B M F 'ers
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#23 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:11 pm

skones wrote:People look at Beasley's numbers and their jaws drop. He's a very very good prospect but he has A LOT of flaws that his ridiculous stat line doesn't show. He's putting up numbers very very similar to Kevin Durant did at Texas and everybody was smitten with him pre-draft. It seems only logical to do the same with Beasley.

The one thing people definitely need to be concerned about is his actual play. Beasley is absolutely ATROCIOUS on the defensive end. The guy doesn't put ANY effort in at all on that end of the floor. ZERO, ZILCH. Don't you think that raises a huge red flag given his physical ability which he uses so well to dominate on the other end of the floor? He's also a black hole on offense. In other words, if he has the ball it's not getting taken out of his hands. Most importantly, the guy has a decent team around him and he's STILL not winning games he should be. I mean losses to George Mason, Notre Dame, Xavier, and Oregon? Kevin Durant led his team to win after win along with a top national ranking, Michael Beasley isn't.

He's worthy of top 5 pick based on his capabilities, but in no way, shape, or form is he a lock for the number one or number two. A lot of valid arguments can be provided in terms of Rose and Jordan among others to be taken ahead of him.

a decent team around him? K State is terrible. Its a one man show, just because Bill Walker is on the team doesn't mean its a solid team. Its guards that kill that that team on defense, why blame Beasley? He's doing his job and more. Those are 4 quality teams that K-St lost too and nothing to be ashamed of.

Durant had DJ Augustin who's better than anyone on K-st by a good margin, and Abrams &Mason were both both 3 pt marksmen. K-St has...one sec, let me crunch these numbers real quick.... eh ZERO good 3 point shooters. Yet Beasley still gets it done in a crowd. Damion James was probably the 4th best player on the team and he's better than Bill Walker this year. No comparison in talent between the 2 teams.

Plus you're blaming Beasley for not being comparable to one of the 5 best prospects of the past 15 years.

As far as Rose or Jordan, they could be the #1 pick by the end of the season of course, but so far Beasley is kinda crushing them. You could make a strong argument that Rose isn't even the best player on his team, and Jordan is basically an enigma at this point, but I agree with you if you say those are the top 3 of the draft thus far.
riehldeal
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#24 » by riehldeal » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:03 pm

wolves_fan_82au wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

if Loften was like 2-4 inches taller he would be a lottery pick

False

His handle and overall athleticism would still keep him in the high teens if not somewhere in the 20-30 range IMO
WillC
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#25 » by WillC » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:22 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

a decent team around him? K State is terrible. Its a one man show, just because Bill Walker is on the team doesn't mean its a solid team. Its guards that kill that that team on defense, why blame Beasley? He's doing his job and more. Those are 4 quality teams that K-St lost too and nothing to be ashamed of.

Durant had DJ Augustin who's better than anyone on K-st by a good margin, and Abrams &Mason were both both 3 pt marksmen. K-St has...one sec, let me crunch these numbers real quick.... eh ZERO good 3 point shooters. Yet Beasley still gets it done in a crowd. Damion James was probably the 4th best player on the team and he's better than Bill Walker this year. No comparison in talent between the 2 teams.

Plus you're blaming Beasley for not being comparable to one of the 5 best prospects of the past 15 years.

As far as Rose or Jordan, they could be the #1 pick by the end of the season of course, but so far Beasley is kinda crushing them. You could make a strong argument that Rose isn't even the best player on his team, and Jordan is basically an enigma at this point, but I agree with you if you say those are the top 3 of the draft thus far.

Amen.

I agree with all of that.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#26 » by wolves_fan_82au » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:38 am

BigSlam wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Then what about Bassy, McCants, Brewer, Green as well as Foye?

It would seem you'd have a glut of players at the wing if you brought in Rose.

bassy will want too much and will go somewhere else

Green i doubt will be with us
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#27 » by Goldbum » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:14 am

You know why I love this draft PDX gets Bayless! Honestly I would probably hurt myself jumping fr joy.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
nyk2423
Analyst
And1: 4

Post#28 » by nyk2423 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:01 am

Im sorry but I just dont want another Zach Randolph on the Knicks
MYoung23
Junior
And1: 0

Post#29 » by MYoung23 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:36 pm

Cavaliers will go big in the draft. They would have taken Splitter with the Suns pick if they could have bought it. They also arent going to draft a guard that cant shoot with range. They tried to trade up for Bellineli last year also.

Return to NBA Draft