Nikola Pekovic signs 3 year deal with Panathinaikos

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

cdcastellon1
Senior
And1: 0

Nikola Pekovic signs 3 year deal with Panathinaikos 

Post#1 » by cdcastellon1 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:19 pm

He "was" a first round prospect for Dx and Nbadraft in the next draft, he just signed 3 years with power house Panathinaikos, 2 million dollars each season.

This is a good movement imo for him, his stock will go down in the draft going to second round for sure, since teams won
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 392

Re: Nikola Pekovic signs 3 year deal with Panathinaikos 

Post#2 » by pad300 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:44 pm

cdcastellon1 wrote:He "was" a first round prospect for Dx and Nbadraft in the next draft, he just signed 3 years with power house Panathinaikos, 2 million dollars each season.

This is a good movement imo for him, his stock will go down in the draft going to second round for sure, since teams won
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,776

Re: Nikola Pekovic signs 3 year deal with Panathinaikos 

Post#3 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:25 pm

cdcastellon1 wrote:He "was" a first round prospect for Dx and Nbadraft in the next draft, he just signed 3 years with power house Panathinaikos, 2 million dollars each season.

Alyosha12
Analyst
And1: 178

Post#4 » by Alyosha12 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:53 pm

any link that this happened, where did u read about it?
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#5 » by suckfish » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:40 pm

DX has it covered.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nikola-Pekovic-1047/

Nikola Pekovic has reached an agreement with Panathinaikos for, apparently, the following three seasons. He will only move to the Greek powerhouse after his current season with Partizan is finished.

Pekovic blossomed this season into one of the most productive inside men all over Europe, which combined with his youth, made him one of the most attractive players on the European market. Rumors say he was paid as much as 4.5 million Euros (6.55 million dollars net) for three years, which is similar to the type of money this year
pad300
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by pad300 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:57 pm

suckfish wrote:DX has it covered.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nikola-Pekovic-1047/

Nikola Pekovic has reached an agreement with Panathinaikos for, apparently, the following three seasons. He will only move to the Greek powerhouse after his current season with Partizan is finished.

Pekovic blossomed this season into one of the most productive inside men all over Europe, which combined with his youth, made him one of the most attractive players on the European market. Rumors say he was paid as much as 4.5 million Euros (6.55 million dollars net) for three years, which is similar to the type of money this year
JonathanG
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#7 » by JonathanG » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:13 pm

Don't think so. Someone will take him in the 2nd round, because that means he won't be bound by the rookie scale if and when he does decide to come over. He'll be an asset in 2-3 years for sure that someone will want to have. Maybe not in the 30's, but if a team has multiple picks and/or a shortage of roster spots, he's the ideal player to draft considering how statistically unlikely it is to find a real contributor in the 2nd round.
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 726

Post#8 » by Apollo64 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:16 am

No confirmation so far from Panathinaikos or the Greek sports press, if it is true, kudos to DX for breaking the story first.

As far as Pekovic's future in the NBA, if Panathinaikos will be content with him, they have the money to keep him in Europe.
pad300
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by pad300 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 9:26 pm

Apollo64 wrote:No confirmation so far from Panathinaikos or the Greek sports press, if it is true, kudos to DX for breaking the story first.

As far as Pekovic's future in the NBA, if Panathinaikos will be content with him, they have the money to keep him in Europe.

Bump this...

Does anyone out there besides draftexpress have this story? IF so, can someone please post a link. I am wondering if this should be filed under unconfirmed rumour; it didn't make sense to me when I first heard it. Why tank your draft stock, when your likely to get picked up at the end of the 1st anyway (see the Spurs habit of foreign big men at the end of the1st round who stay overseas for a few years)...
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,303

Post#10 » by andyhop » Mon Feb 4, 2008 12:49 am

pad300 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Bump this...

Does anyone out there besides draftexpress have this story? IF so, can someone please post a link. I am wondering if this should be filed under unconfirmed rumour; it didn't make sense to me when I first heard it. Why tank your draft stock, when your likely to get picked up at the end of the 1st anyway (see the Spurs habit of foreign big men at the end of the1st round who stay overseas for a few years)...

Given that he was a very late first round pick at best and likely to have been left in Europe for a couple of years how would it be a bad decision?.

If he develops in Europe then worst case scenario for him is that he gets a deal equivalent to that he would have got in a late first round slot,best case scenario is he gets a deal better than his projected first round slot would have paid him and he isn't tied to a low rookie scale deal for up to 5 years.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
pad300
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by pad300 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 3:38 am

andyhop wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Given that he was a very late first round pick at best and likely to have been left in Europe for a couple of years how would it be a bad decision?.

Pau Gasol was drafted 3ed Overall in 01, averaging 18.5 ppg and 6 rpg and 25.43 mpg... Playing only 6 euroleague games
http://www.euroleague.net/competition/p ... code=E2000

Pekovic is currently at 17.9 ppg, 8 rpg, and 28.1 mpg...Playing 14 Euroleague games so far
http://www.euroleague.net/competition/p ... ?pcode=KNN

It's a stronger draft, and some people say Pekovic's done developing. But, as a pure center, I would suggest he has more positional value than a PF... His current production (accouting for league strength) looks as good as anyone short of Beasley. You real sure he'd go late first round if he didn't tank his stock with a move like this...
andyhop
Analyst

Post#12 » by andyhop » Mon Feb 4, 2008 3:51 am

I haven't seen anything to suggest his stock was higher than end of the first round,now that doesn't mean that someone wouldn't have fallen in love with him and picked him higher but i think realistically that sort of range very late first early second is where he would have been drafted.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,016

Post#13 » by Village Idiot » Tue Feb 5, 2008 6:35 am

I can see Portland taking him with one of our 3 2nd rounders, two of which from Memphis and New York will be very high.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
andyhop
Analyst

Post#14 » by andyhop » Tue Feb 5, 2008 7:48 am

Village Idiot wrote:I can see Portland taking him with one of our 3 2nd rounders, two of which from Memphis and New York will be very high.

He is the sort of guy that the Spurs in past years would jump on at the end of the 1st round but I think they need to add someone to their roster.

For the Blazers he makes perfect sense they don't need him now and if he looks good they can trade him down the line if they don't want to bring him over themselves.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,433

Post#15 » by magee » Tue Feb 5, 2008 4:28 pm

Well, pencil him into one of Portland's second round picks.

Return to NBA Draft