Flynn - Jennings Sacto Interview (BJ calls Rubio 'ALL HYPE')

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Flynn - Jennings Sacto Interview (BJ calls Rubio 'ALL HYPE') 

Post#1 » by Smills91 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:21 pm

5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Re: Flynn - Jennings Sacto Interview (BJ calls Rubio 'ALL HYPE') 

Post#2 » by 5DOM » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:33 pm

Rebel INS
Sixth Man
And1: 736

Post#3 » by Rebel INS » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:42 pm

lol jennings intrigues me but isn't this the pot calling the kettle black

He seems fixated on stats in the clip which isn't encouraging. I might be reading too much into it though
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#4 » by 5DOM » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:44 pm

I love how he mentioned Kenny Thomas
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 401

Post#5 » by jeffjtk1234 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:45 pm

haha...wow....
draft him now!

that was pretty funny
Smills91
Banned User

Post#6 » by Smills91 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:47 pm

Thanks for fixing the link. Yeah, he just seems so unimpressive in the interviews, albeit was funny the way he took the bait from the media to call Rubio "ALL HYPE", lol.

I still think he's top candidate as MOST LIKELY to BUST, and it's probably more with his 'mentality' than his skills. I think Flynn will be a much better PG in the NBA, honestly.
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 401

Post#7 » by jeffjtk1234 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:50 pm

smills I gotta disagree...

Out of all the PG's in the draft I think he has the most upside to be honest. Rubio is a higher risk then Jennings. I honestly believe that.
Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Post#8 » by Charlie_S » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:51 pm

Rebel INS wrote:lol jennings intrigues me but isn't this the pot calling the kettle black

Yep. Calling out Rubio as "all hype" is quite a funny thing for an "all hype" guy to say.
I loved how he went on and on about how he got the best of him in their Euroleague matchup, while Rubio was coming back from an injury and Jennings' team eventually lost.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,504

Post#9 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:52 pm

Well, say what you will about Jennings, but he's right. Jennings has enough "hype" right now, that he could have chosen to not workout with anyone and still be a top 10 pick. How many guys like that would risk a top 10 pick selection and work out against two of the top PG's in the draft? Meanwhile, Rubio knows he a top 5 pick and refuses to work out against anyone.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#10 » by _venom_ » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:58 pm

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:Well, say what you will about Jennings, but he's right. Jennings has enough "hype" right now, that he could have chosen to not workout with anyone and still be a top 10 pick. How many guys like that would risk a top 10 pick selection and work out against two of the top PG's in the draft? Meanwhile, Rubio knows he a top 5 pick and refuses to work out against anyone.

Jennings is in no way a guaranteed top 10 pick anymore. Flynn and Holiday's stocks have risen, Rubio's has stayed the same. I could easily see Jennings drop out of the top 10.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#11 » by EddieJonesFan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:59 pm

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:Well, say what you will about Jennings, but he's right. Jennings has enough "hype" right now, that he could have chosen to not workout with anyone and still be a top 10 pick. How many guys like that would risk a top 10 pick selection and work out against two of the top PG's in the draft? Meanwhile, Rubio knows he a top 5 pick and refuses to work out against anyone.

Actually I could very well have seen Jennings tumble quite a bit if he didn't workout against anyone, he knew he was already on thin ice for not being seen much and not going to the reebok eurocamp.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#12 » by Smills91 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:11 pm

Yeah, I think Jennings has the ability to slip to #17 maybe even #19 if people don't like what they see out of him. I'm of the opinion now though that he goes #7 to the Warriors. It's just a match made in heaven.
Star-Lord
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#13 » by Star-Lord » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:14 pm

You know what's funny? during each of those videos, I never once heard Brandon say, "Ricky Rubio is all hype." He did say yes when a reporter asked if he thought Rubio was all hype, but that's completely different...
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,504

Post#14 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Smills, there is no way that Brandon Jennings will drop to #19. Obviously, you have a personal bias against the guy.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#15 » by GswStorm3 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:29 pm

CCIIIs Hair wrote:You know what's funny? during each of those videos, I never once heard Brandon say, "Ricky Rubio is all hype." He did say yes when a reporter asked if he thought Rubio was all hype, but that's completely different...

Hard of hearing? he said i think the dude is all hype at the 6:37 mark.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,497

Post#16 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:46 pm

That's awesome. Most exciting thing to happen to the pre-draft rigamarole in years. Jennings obviously didn't do himself any favors with that interview, but I respect that he showed up to workout against the best competition at his position, and then went off script when he was asked a direct question about another prospect's talent.

The best part was how Flynn just started cracking up in the middle. He couldn't believe his ears!
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Crimson King
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#17 » by Crimson King » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:48 pm

CCIIIs Hair wrote:You know what's funny? during each of those videos, I never once heard Brandon say, "Ricky Rubio is all hype." He did say yes when a reporter asked if he thought Rubio was all hype, but that's completely different...

It is?

I remember Jennings wrote in his blog some months ago Rubio told him he was going to declare in 2010!!! Sure...
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#18 » by miltk » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:15 pm

Rebel INS wrote:He seems fixated on stats in the clip which isn't encouraging. I might be reading too much into it though

You are correct, sir. Brandon Jennings is INDEED a stat chaser. And he'll call out his teammates if they don't produce to help his numbers(mainly assists). If this were a draft based purely on personality, selfishness, and compatability BJ would drop out of the 1st round, and I'm not so sure his interviews with teams won't prove that. This is not confidence, this is ego and punkishness.
leo_83
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#19 » by leo_83 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:16 pm

zar wrote:

It is?

I remember Jennings wrote in his blog some months ago Rubio told him he was going to declare in 2010!!! Sure...

He didn't write only that..

As I already posted in the raps forum, he wrote also that on december 2008.

Now to what everyone wants to hear about, the game and the matchup with Ricky. Unfortunately Ricky only played about 8mins cause he’s still kind of hurt from a wrist injury he suffered in the Gold Medal game vs. Team USA, but in just 8mins he showed me a lot. I have a ton of respect for the dude. He’s real mature out there on the court, he has a great feel for the game. He passes the ball like crazy, reminds me of Steve Nash a little bit. Put it like this if he were in the class of 09 in high school basketball he would be the #1 player hands down. No question about it. I can only hope that when Ricky and I one day get to the NBA we can be like Chris Paul and Deron Williams, as our careers take off together like CP3 & D Will’s did. Despite what the critics say that he can’t shoot Ricky is going to be going a Great NBA player someday…he brings a complete game to the table.

What can I say? I think he has really changed his mind in the last months.
KennerLeaguer
Junior
And1: 32

Post#20 » by KennerLeaguer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:19 pm

I loved how he also, in other interviews, attacked other rival draft picks as not being "true point guards." Anyone who watched Jennings knows he isn't exactly Steve Nash. The guy looks to score like classic AI without having AI's talent.

Return to NBA Draft