Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

boknoy
Junior
And1: 6

Re: a Legitimate argument:Rubio vs. Mills 

Post#21 » by boknoy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:58 am

stellation wrote:
Luichi wrote:
Red Robot wrote:Plus, no disrespect to Australians, but the Australian national basketball team only makes the Olympics because Oceania counts as a continent and they're better than New Zealand.

That's true and even then we beat the Aussies sometimes. New Zealand basketball is just in its rebuilding form right now.

I daresay that if FIFA went the FIBA route and had Australia qualify through Asia then they'd still be turning up to the Olympics.

The Melbourne Tigers alone have beaten Asia's no. 1 national team China. not only once but twice.
Luichi
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Luichi » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:53 am

boknoy wrote:The Melbourne Tigers alone have beaten Asia's no. 1 national team China. not only once but twice.

But the Melbourne Tigers are a 'stacked' team, the ANBL is very underrated and could beat plenty of Euroleague teams. They also had imports like Ebi Ere who was drafted second round in the NBA (if i remember correctly) and has played NCAA ball with Oklahoma when they made the Final Four in 02
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#23 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:06 am

I think Mills will be a good NBA player but he's a speedy combo guard in the Tony Parker/Monta Ellis mold. Rubio is a true PG and floor general, more interested in getting his teammates theirs than in getting his own.
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#24 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:53 am

Mills impresses Byron Scott, also runs fastest suicide sprint drills.

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/sports ... rkout.html

I hope GM's around the league underrate him as much as most of you do and he slips to the Hornets. Hes been a scorer in college coz he had to be, he was the best player on his team, but that expectation will chance in the NBA and he'll be more of a facilitator/creator and hes fully aware of that.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#25 » by wolves_fan_82au » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:16 am

theres a lot between them imo

but theres no way Mills is a 2nd round pick this has to be a joke,this is considered a useless draft full of duds (well it seems that way with some of the peoples opnions around here)
so people seem to think he wont even make a roster :-?
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
Doctor Dunk
Ballboy

Post#26 » by Doctor Dunk » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:34 am

bigricho12 wrote:Chris Paul's comments after Mills hit 20points on team USA at the 2008 Olympics:

"He's good," said Chris Paul, "Man, he's fast. I read something that says he's faster than me. They're probably right. He can move."

That is huge coming from Chris Paul.

This is even more telling from Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski:

"I'm glad my (Duke) team doesn't play St Mary's next year, I can tell you that," Krzyzewski said.

"He's a great guard. He'll be an NBA guard. I'm very, very impressed. He really has great quickness. And I love him defensively. I've been a defensive coach my whole life and there aren't very many people who stay with the guard, like right on him, when he has the ball, and if he's beaten, he doesn't retreat, he continues to play the play.

"He's got to be an extremely tough-minded kid. But as good as he is offensively, he's got a chance to be a great defender. I think the kid has got a big-time future, quite frankly."

Now this aint some comment by a biased Australian assistant coach here but the coach of team USA.

Coach K raves about Mills defense which is never really mentioned with Mills and he was a ball thief last year at St Marys averaging 2.2 a game.

You can look at Mills low shooting percentage, but that tells a skewed story as his shot was not there after he came back from his broken hand. remove his games directly after his return from a broken hand and his percentages are 42%fg and 36%3pt. He also shot 47% at the Olympics including 20pts against the Dreamteam. What was Rubio's shooting persentages at the Olympics and more importantly at his league side??

It is also widely forgotten that Mills had St Marys ranked within the top 25 in the country before he broke his hand in the first half against Gonzaga and had St Marys at an impressive 18-1 record and a league record 15 straight unbroken winning run.

Rubio is a once in a generation passer, no doubt. Rubio does things that you have to rewind and play back again, but he has no shot and has concerns over his lack of speed in the NBA. Mills doesn't have that problem as he is widely considered to be one of the fastest players with or without (important) the ball in the NBA if he goes there.

I dont really like comparing them together as they will go in different sections of the draft and play the game quite differently but how Mills is falling out of the first round while Rubio and entrenched in the first 4 picked is beyond me. There is a reason Rubio wont do a workout.

For mine Rubio is a 4 - 8 pick, while Mills is anywhere between 11 - 28.

Agree with almost all of that - the comments from Chris Paul and Mike Krzyzewski highlight the impression Mills left on them after his performance against them in the 2008 Olympics. I'm looking forward to watching how they both develop in the next few years!
boknoy
Junior

Post#27 » by boknoy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:05 am

Luichi wrote:
boknoy wrote:The Melbourne Tigers alone have beaten Asia's no. 1 national team China. not only once but twice.

But the Melbourne Tigers are a 'stacked' team, the ANBL is very underrated and could beat plenty of Euroleague teams. They also had imports like Ebi Ere who was drafted second round in the NBA (if i remember correctly) and has played NCAA ball with Oklahoma when they made the Final Four in 02

indeed. The Sydney Kings have won a game againts Benetton Treviso in China but lost to CSKA Moscow on the other game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euroleague_Challenge_2007

actually, many of NBL players have played in the US NCAA before joining the league
bigricho12
Rookie

Post#28 » by bigricho12 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:38 pm

This is in another thread, but is obviously relevant here too..

St. Mary's Mills headlines fourth Hornets' pre-draft workout
Jude Young's Blog
Tuesday, 16 June 2009 04:30PM

WESTWEGO - The New Orleans Hornets held their fourth pre-draft workout at their Alario Center training facility on Tuesday afternoon.

Patrick Mills from St. Mary's was perhaps the headliner among the 6 prospects on hand. The Austrailian Olympic star clearly garnered the attention of Hornets head coach Byron Scott.

"If you played (Mills) right now in a five-on-five game, he could run all day," noted Scott with a smile. "He's in unbelievable condition."

In fact, the 6-foot, 175 pounder from Canberra, Australia was more energizer bunny than Koala Bear. Mills broke the record for speed in the always-treacherous ‘suicide' running drills.

"I do love that," said Scott.

But Mills also impressed with his ability. "He has a great shot and really knows how to play."

More of a scoring point than a passer during his amateur career, Mills is likely to be available when the Hornets first round selection (21st overall) rolls around on June 25.

"A lot of people talk about me being a scoring point guard at St. Mary's now and needing to transition that into the league and being a facilitator," remarked Mills. "That something I'm familiar with experiencing that in the Summer Olympics with the Australian National Team. So I believe that transition will be ok since I've been through it already."

Of course, New Orleans doesn't need a starting point guard with Chris Paul around. But quality depth is needed as all positions from the Hornets including the backup point guard spot.

"I've watched a lot of tape on Chris Paul and played against him as well. He's someone that I've tried to learn from," said Mills. "The Hornets' style of play is great and fits into my game."

Mills was the leading scorer for his country in the 2008 Olympics and tallied 20 points against Paul and Team USA in the quarterfinals. He also has no turnovers in 28 minutes. His ability to protect the ball and become a distributor will determine his fate in the NBA.

Two Louisiana talents had their first experiences with NBA workouts. LSU's Terry Martin and Xavier ‘s Shaun Dumas were fill-ins at the workout. Both have been training with former NBA star John Lucas in Houston in attempts to springboard into professional basketball at some level.

Dumas (5-11, 170) was the LABC Small College Player of the Year. But he has bigger .

"If you belong, you belong. If you belong at Xavier University or belong at UCLA, you're a ball player. You have to compete," Dumas stated.

Martin (6-6, 210) was one-dimensional offensively in college as a streaky shooter. He continues to work on his ability to put the ball on the floor. European clubs have shown interest in the Monroe native.

Other potential first rounders in atteandance were Taj Gibson of USC and Josh Heytvelt of Gonzaga. The two big men bring difference attributes.

Gibson (6-9, 225) is long and lean but brings defensive tenacity and toughness to the paint. His offensive game is raw, but the Brooklyn native can finish around the basket.

"Taj has a great wingspan and can block shots," said Scott.

Heytvelt is a more perimeter-oriented big man who can knock down the mid-range jumper. He also shows willingness to bang in the paint. But, unlike his former West Coast Conference rival Mills, the 6-11, 260 pounder did not impress with his conditioning.

"I'm sure he is a much better basketball player than he showed today," said Scott. But he really kind of hurt himself as far as I'm concerned since he is not in the shape you have to be in."

DeJuan Summers from Georgetown may be another guy caught between positions heading into the pro ranks after bypassing his final year in college. He is too slow to play small forward and not aggressive enough to man the power forward position.

At 6-8 240, Summers has an NBA body but looks more comfortable on the perimeter offensively and appears to lack explosiveness around the basket.
[quote:e5e7b9ff74="willeatfire4playoffsinmil"]-= original quote snipped =-

emunney was close. General Board, thread "Did the NBA fumble the Ball Tonight?"

Also in that thread, someone thinks Australia is a country.[/quote]
Mumbles
Bench Warmer
And1: 223

Post#29 » by Mumbles » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:47 pm

ChrisTheFuturePaul wrote:Mills impresses Byron Scott, also runs fastest suicide sprint drills.

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/sports ... rkout.html

I hope GM's around the league underrate him as much as most of you do and he slips to the Hornets. Hes been a scorer in college coz he had to be, he was the best player on his team, but that expectation will chance in the NBA and he'll be more of a facilitator/creator and hes fully aware of that.

Mills isn't far behind, don't let the fanboys get ya down. That exhibition game was crazy. I couldn't believe how this kid was repeatedly giving it to Kobe and Paul. That was way more impressive than Rubio, and probably the 2nd best solo performance vs Team USA after Rudy.
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#30 » by BubbaTee » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:17 pm

JN wrote:You realize that those college stats are really not that good right? If you are unable to shoot more then 40% when the majority of your games are against crappy competition (the WCC), how are you going to create EFFICIENT offence at the next level. Low FG% is the most relevant college stat to make a long-term evaluation. It means they can't create enough good looks against subpar competion, so he can never be much of efficient scorer at the next level.

EDIT - 42% when healthy. LOL. That is still horrible.

What does that say for Rubio then? Rubio's only shot 42% or better once since becoming a regular, and that was in the Eurocup, not the Euroleague.

2006-07 ACB: 34.8% FG
2006-07 Euroleague: 40.2% FG
2007-08 ACB: 37.5% FG
2007-08 Eurocup: 53.1% FG
2008-09 ACB: 39.1% FG
2008-09 Euroleague: 30.0% FG

Does this mean Rubio can also never be an efficient scorer?
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#31 » by verbal8 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:17 pm

I think Rubio is a better prospect, but Mills offers better value. If a team reaches for Mills in the middle of the first round hoping for a starter, I think he will be labeled a bust. However I think a late 1st to early 2nd round pick would be a different story. The team would be looking for a valuable role player, and he could be one of the steals of the draft.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#32 » by wolves_fan_82au » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:24 pm

verbal8 wrote:I think Rubio is a better prospect, but Mills offers better value. If a team reaches for Mills in the middle of the first round hoping for a starter, I think he will be labeled a bust. However I think a late 1st to early 2nd round pick would be a different story. The team would be looking for a valuable role player, and he could be one of the steals of the draft.

i dont see why mills couldnt be a starter ,maybe not right away but say after a year or two in the nba
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#33 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:16 pm

BubbaTee wrote:
JN wrote:You realize that those college stats are really not that good right? If you are unable to shoot more then 40% when the majority of your games are against crappy competition (the WCC), how are you going to create EFFICIENT offence at the next level. Low FG% is the most relevant college stat to make a long-term evaluation. It means they can't create enough good looks against subpar competion, so he can never be much of efficient scorer at the next level.

EDIT - 42% when healthy. LOL. That is still horrible.

What does that say for Rubio then? Rubio's only shot 42% or better once since becoming a regular, and that was in the Eurocup, not the Euroleague.

2006-07 ACB: 34.8% FG
2006-07 Euroleague: 40.2% FG
2007-08 ACB: 37.5% FG
2007-08 Eurocup: 53.1% FG
2008-09 ACB: 39.1% FG
2008-09 Euroleague: 30.0% FG

Does this mean Rubio can also never be an efficient scorer?

God, those percentages are just as bad as Allen Iverson in a 10 X inferior league.
boknoy
Junior

Post#34 » by boknoy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:51 pm

Of course, when it comes to the Olympics, all NBA teams seem to see is how you do against Team USA, and this is where Patrick Mills shined. Ricky Rubio made defense his calling card this summer, but he was spanked over and over again by Deron Williams and Chris Paul. Well what those two did to Rubio, Mills did to them. In particular, Mills matched Paul, one of the NBA's quickest players, step for step. In the exhibition round, Mills scored 13 points while Paul, Williams, and Jason Kidd combined for only 5 total

arrgghhhh...

and here's to the apologists:

Granted, Mills was asked to carry his team's scoring load, while Kidd, Paul, and Williams were only asked to distribute the ball. Yet to score so efficiently against the top point guards in the NBA and not be outclassed defensively (ahem, Rubio) has to be impressive
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,778

Post#35 » by Ayt » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:18 pm

Rubio wasn't "spanked over and over again" in the gold medal game.
boknoy
Junior

Post#36 » by boknoy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:53 pm

Kobe:watc out Dwight, he is slippin again
Dwight:Oh ****!
D12:****!this supposed to be your job guys!
gw795
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#37 » by gw795 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:32 am

Mills has the higher floor, but Rubio has the MUCH higher ceiling. Nevertheless, I think Mills will be at least a solid starter at the NBA level.
portlandoden
Pro Prospect
And1: 50

Post#38 » by portlandoden » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:11 pm

Whoever drafts Mills (hopefully Blazers at 24 ;) ) will get more value out of him that whoever picks Rubio.
If he goes early and is a starting PG he will be in the top 5 R.O.Y he's shown he can match it with the best of them
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#39 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:56 pm

Mills>Rubio. Mills is a better shooter, has played MUCH better competition and has played college.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#40 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:07 pm

I think Mills gets buried on big boards and mock drafts, but he is still a really nice prospect and I think GMs will keep him in mind from about pick 19 to the first 5 picks in the 2nd round.

The whole shooting % thinkg is being overblown a little, just as the horrific %'s Rubio has had over his career are being overlooked, along with his horrific assist to TO ratio, especially per 40 over the course of his career. I don't see how that stat doesn't send cold shivers through GM's bodies in the 1st 5 picks for a pass 1st point guard that can't shoot and is ball dominant.

I'm sure someone will attack the above listed facts as my opinion and say I am a Rubio "hater", but the truth is scary.
Also to note, I do not think Rubio will be a bust, but I also don't see this superstar people are fantasizing about.
Again, I haven't seen a lot of Rubio, but again, as I will steady drop this disclaimer, others, whether Rubio fanboys, haters or the in-betweens that haven't seen him much either like to act like they have seen his every game and that their misinformed opinion is fact from constant real game observation.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.

Return to NBA Draft