The Idea of NY Taking Both Evans and Curry?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Luichi
Ballboy
And1: 0

The Idea of NY Taking Both Evans and Curry? 

Post#1 » by Luichi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:09 pm

I was just thinking, that since the Knicks are already trying to move David Lee for cap space, why not try and draft both players. Trade Lee in order to get the draft rights to one or the other. They could also use Nate Robinson as a sign and trade. Possibly even trade Chris Duhon who they no longer want as their starting PG.

I could see them complimenting each other quite well in the Knicks backcourt and both look like players who could excel in D'Antoni's offense. Defensively it allows Tyreke to matchup with the SG while Steph guards the PGs.

Any thoughts or ideas? I just thought that this would a pretty good idea for New York since they are pretty much rebuilding.
Hansel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: The Idea of NY Taking Both Evans and Curry? 

Post#2 » by Hansel » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:36 pm

No team is going to take David Lee for the rights to a top-7 pick. They should deal him for a 13-17 pick if the deal is out there and take Lawson. Perfect for their system and really underrated in this draft.
Credit for the sig goes to FreeKobe.
Luichi
Ballboy

Post#3 » by Luichi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:59 pm

It is possible in this apparent "weak" draft though. It would be much easier if both Curry and Evans slip (but very unlikley)
pewing33ny
Rookie
And1: 184

Post#4 » by pewing33ny » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:11 pm

they can't do that trade because lee and nate can't be resigned or traded until july (i think july 1st).
2016 predictions

GSW Clippers OKC Spurs Cleveland Hawks Miami Toronto
GSW Spurs Cleveland Miami
GSW Cleveland

Cavs 2016 champs
zerocooly
Ballboy

Post#5 » by zerocooly » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Ideally I like Curry and Evans to the Knicks. They are actually players you can build around into a contender. I like Robinson but he is just not that type of player that takes you to championship or even a piece of a championship team. What would happen if Boozer goes to New York? Duhon, Curry, Harrington, Boozer, and Thabeet. My dream team for knicks lol. And wait till James comes.
noido
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#6 » by noido » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:16 pm

Id rather Jennings and Evans to be honest. But as has been discussed Lee and Nate (who are basically the only guys with any value atm) cannot be traded until they are resigned (or as part of a sign and trade)
The only way I see NY getting another lotto pick is through future picks/moving up from a lower pick or moving Chandler.

Having said that, if the knicks are willing to spend 3 mill per, I could see 4 or 5 teams willing to sell picks in the first due to the financial climate. I think Chandler and a pick around 20 could get you a late lotto pick?
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#7 » by BadWolf » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:24 pm

^where do you think Chandler would go in this draft?
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#8 » by NetsForce » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:52 pm

The Knicks don't have the assets to acquire another pick high enough to draft Jennings...
noido
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#9 » by noido » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:55 pm

BadWolf wrote:^where do you think Chandler would go in this draft?

I think given his play last year somewhere in the teens? I'm actually a lot higher on this draft than most people.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#10 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:20 pm

I can definitely see the Knicks investing in one of the worst drafts ever.
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
NYK Get Busy
Ballboy

Post#11 » by NYK Get Busy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:27 am

Idk, I am personally not convinced about Curry. JJ Reddick could shoot the lights out of the gym and take over games in college and look at him now. Id Rather have a Jennings and Evans combo.
Luichi
Ballboy

Post#12 » by Luichi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:18 am

The thing is that I would much rather have Tyreke Evans running the PG spot. Evans is such a waste as a 2 guard. His ability to handle the ball will just go to waste.. I dont mind BJ either though, but I dont know how those two will play together. I just though Evans and Curry would be a good backcourt. If not theres always Gallinari when he's healthy to compete for that spot. Im 100% convinced on Curry, he's got underrated athleticism.
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#13 » by bringinhinkie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:48 am

flynn + lee >>>>>> curry+evans

the only way a team would trade a pick for lee is if he came at an affordable rate, and in that case wed just resign him as the chances anyone outside of blake and maybe 2-3 other guys surpasses him are slim to none.. you dont trade a young 16/12 player for a young ? prospect..
Luichi
Ballboy

Post#14 » by Luichi » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:21 am

u do when if ur owner tells you to because he wants to save money...
that's the main reason they dont want to resign lee and robinson to new contracts. save money for 2010
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#15 » by ctorres » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:00 am

I think if anything, the Knicks would rather get both Curry and Holiday.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#16 » by moocow007 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:37 am

This is supposed to be a weak draft in terms of top notch players right? If so, then I'd have to assume other drafts are much better in producing talent?

So let's put this to the test and take a look at how Lee and Chandler would compare to guys that were actually taken in the past 8 drafts. And remember, this is after the fact which doesn't have the element of risk that trading either for an unknown (be it an actually draft pick in the case of Chandler or the draft rights in the case of Lee) would entail (i.e. lowering the value of it)....

Guys that are definitly more valuable or that you can realistically argue have higher value than Lee

2008 (9) - Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley, OJ Mayo, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Danilo Galinari, Brook Lopez, Anthony Randolph, Eric Gordon

2007 (8) - Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Al Horford, Mike Conley, Jeff Green, Thaddeus Young, Spencer Hawes, Rudy Fernandez

2006 (6) - Andrea Bargnani, LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay, Rajon Rondo, Paul Milsap

2005 (8) - Andrew Bogut, Marvin Williams, Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Andrew Bynum, Danny Granger, Nate Robinson, Monta Ellis

2004 (10) - Dwight Howard, Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon, Devin Harris, Loul Deng, Andre Igoudala, Andris Biedrins, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Kevin Martin

2003 (9) - Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade, Kirk Hinrich, TJ Ford, Chris Kaman, David West, Josh Howard

2002 (6) - Yao Ming, Amare Stoudemire, Caron Butler, Tayshaun Prince, Carlos Boozer, Luis Scola

2001 (11) - Tyson Chandler, Paul Gasol, Jason Richardson, Shane Battier, Joe Johnson, Richard Jefferson, Gerald Wallace, Samuel Dalembert, Tony Parker, Gilbert Arenas, Mehmet Okur

So at worst (assuming everyone picks right...which never happens) we're talking about the equivalent of what? a lottery pick at around the 8th or 9th pick (the average assuming everyone on that list is definitely more desirable)? That's what Lee's value seems to be IMHO as far as neighborhoods go. So dont' see how he's worth a 13-17 pick. There seems to be a general belief that nice players are plentiful and that mid 1st round picks produce terrific role players (which one can argue Lee is). That's just not true on the average...not by far.
Luichi
Ballboy

Post#17 » by Luichi » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:32 pm

^^^
that's a very interesting post there. its a good argument for my side, since everyone is saying that Lee is not worth a top 10 pick to take both curry and evans.

especially with the latest reports, it seems like evans is knicks first choice (if they get a higher pick) then take curry at 8 if possible
Luichi
Ballboy

Post#18 » by Luichi » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:33 pm

or the other way around. either way knicks are interested in both of them

Return to NBA Draft