Can Rubio be an elite PG in the future?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

RudyGay22
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Can Rubio be an elite PG in the future? 

Post#41 » by RudyGay22 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:33 am

sorokii,
I hate when people don't watch players and make assumptions to make themselves appear knowlegeable, but in the end seem laughable. Here's what's wrong with your entire post; one thing. The assumption that Mayo is a chucker. Rudy is, Mayo is the complete opposite. He plays team ball, even though he should be more selfish. Too often, he refuses to go 1v1 when he has weak defenders on him, and he rarely takes bad shots. He should be a PG, but sadly Lionel Hollins won't be reasonable. He can play SG and go into PG role when Conley steps off (if Rubio isn't picked). Please, ask any Grizzlies fan if Mayo was selfish or not...he averaged less than 16 shots a game. Rookie LeBron? 18-19 shots a game...3 more games played for Mayo, 200 shots less in the season...
Promezclan
Starter
And1: 948

Post#42 » by Promezclan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:02 am

mr.ankle wrote:
KWSN-Men wrote:For all the people here that keep saying NCAA is = to or > Spain's top division and/or the Euroleague, Doug Gottlieb who played NCAA basketball and also played in Russia was asked about this. Mind you when he played in the NCAA it was a lot better than it is now and when he played in Russia it was a lot worse than it is now. And Spain and the Euroelague are definitely better than Russian League.

Anyway, he basically said anyone saying that has no idea what they are talking about and that the level of the ACB is far above the level of the NCAA and that it should not even be compared. But yet we keep seeing on these boards people say that the NCAA is as good or even better.

If that is the case then how come College produces better NBA talent than the Euroleague ?

Because the best college players leave when they are 19 and still have great room to improve, while the best Euroleague players are 27-29 year-old men. Also, there are many more teams to spread the talent.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#43 » by noobcake » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:18 am

mr.ankle wrote:
KWSN-Men wrote:For all the people here that keep saying NCAA is = to or > Spain's top division and/or the Euroleague, Doug Gottlieb who played NCAA basketball and also played in Russia was asked about this. Mind you when he played in the NCAA it was a lot better than it is now and when he played in Russia it was a lot worse than it is now. And Spain and the Euroelague are definitely better than Russian League.

Anyway, he basically said anyone saying that has no idea what they are talking about and that the level of the ACB is far above the level of the NCAA and that it should not even be compared. But yet we keep seeing on these boards people say that the NCAA is as good or even better.

If that is the case then how come College produces better NBA talent than the Euroleague ?

30 college/hs players make NBA rotation each year. 90% of college players are scrub.

The average skill of a european league player is much higher than an average division I NCAA player.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Post#44 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:18 am

Citing his poor athleticism as a major reason why he won't excel at the PG position in the NBA is lame. Because he has way more than enough length to compensate his poor athleticism (poor compared to elite athletes in the NBA).

His shooting shall improve, not only because of his good hands but good passers tends to be good shooters. And statistically speaking, he did improve in his last year in the euroleague.

The only weakness to Rubio's game right now is his strength, which isn't a really big issue because it is something that can be easily improved on in the NBA. And the PG position isn't a strength based position unlike at the PF/C position. It's more of a basketball IQ, skills and agility based position, which are his strengths.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Genjuro
Sixth Man
And1: 220

Post#45 » by Genjuro » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:56 am

KWSN-Men wrote:
Genjuro wrote:
KWSN-Men wrote:In the Euroleague there is not a chance in hell he could play a whole season and shoot 42.3% from 3 distance at this point in time. You are talking about 3 point shots in the ACB that are almost always wide open. In the Euroelague you almost never get a wide open 3 point shot.

The Euroleague is obviously better, but the ACB League level is a lot closer than you think. There's a nice amount of elite teams in Spain, and the weakest teams are not significantly worse than your worst Euroleague clubs (indeed I'm not sure any single ACB team was worse than, let's say, Union Olimpija).

For example, Joventut as a whole shot 36.6% from the arc in the ACB League, and 34.3% in the Euroleague.

ACB fans are in general almost as arrogant as NBA fans about their league. I will leave at that.

Sure, it's arrogancy.

When you see that Tau shoots the ball a lot better from downtown in the Euroleague rather than in the ACB League, I guess they just don't try in the ACB. When F.C.Barcelona or Joventut have very similar 3-point percentages in both competitions, we'll have to conclude that they miss shots on purpose. I mean, it's obvious that "3 point shots in the ACB are almost always wide open".

As usual, don't let reality spoil your opinions (and your 197 IQ).
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#46 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:05 am

Somebody make me a cup of coffee, I'm going to warm up the time machine.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#47 » by KWSN-Men » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:35 am

Euroleague defense >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ACB defense.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,690

Post#48 » by Johnny Firpo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:42 am

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:He can't. Not with his lack of athleticism, shooting. Without the Athleticism or the shooting, is a worse scenario then Andre Miller. At least Miller was a crafty player that knew how to get to spots and outspeed ya at the right moment.

Ricky Rubio is a T.J Ford European Clone.

Lawson and Maynor are better prospects*. Just as good playmakers**, and have shot 47(Lawson) and 36(Maynor) percent from beyond the arc.

Genjuro
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by Genjuro » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:58 am

KWSN-Men wrote:Euroleague defense >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ACB defense.

Sure, and the strongest reason you can find is to put together as many > symbols as you can.

Nice try. Slightly disappointing for a 197 IQ, though.
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#50 » by KWSN-Men » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:00 am

Genjuro wrote:
KWSN-Men wrote:Euroleague defense >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ACB defense.

Sure, and the strongest reason you can find is to put together as many > symbols as you can.

I don't have time for Spanish only homers. Ignore list.
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#51 » by ITK9 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:32 am

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:He can't. Not with his lack of athleticism, shooting. Without the Athleticism or the shooting, is a worse scenario then Andre Miller. At least Miller was a crafty player that knew how to get to spots and outspeed ya at the right moment.

Ricky Rubio is a T.J Ford European Clone.

Lawson and Maynor are better prospects. Just as good playmakers, and have shot 47(Lawson) and 36(Maynor) percent from beyond the arc.

In the name of all sixers fans we beg you to ignore this kid.He is always clueless and has no ideea about basketball.He hasn't seen Ricky Rubio ever but he think he's interesting to pretend that he is a basketball GOD and knows everything .He is a shame for our comunity.For ex, this GOD said last summer that the Cavs will finish under Sixers in EC because we have a better team.You can make a joke book using half of his posts.I'm too lazy now but pls guys, just read his posts...you will have a very good time.

BrooklynBulls wrote:You do know Rubio shot 42.3% from 3 this season, at age 18, yeah?

no, he doesn't know.as I told you he is CLUELESS everytime he writes a Hollinger-like post.He just throws random(and (Please Use More Appropriate Word) ideas) and pretend to be smart.But hey, what can you expect from a 13 years old kid?
Genjuro
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by Genjuro » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:03 pm

KWSN-Men wrote:
Genjuro wrote:

I don't have time for Spanish only homers. Ignore list.

Nice move: if reality doesn't fit you, just ignore it.

Return to NBA Draft