19%

Total votes: 83

gswhoopsman
Pro Prospect
And1: 3

Re: Should the Kings have taken Rubio? 

Post#61 » by gswhoopsman » Mon Jul 6, 2009 5:59 am

Smills91 wrote:
DanLanghiOwnsAll wrote:Thompson over Randolph? You guys are kidding yourselves now.

LEts see, Thompson at 250 pounds and 6'11 or Randolph at 6'10 and 190 pounds? Which would you take on your roster??? Let's not factor in Thompson put up BETTER stats the ENTIRE season.

Com'n man, Randolph is becoming a David Lee or Channing Frye of RealGM. Overhyped and overrated. Nice young player, but there's a reason he fell from lock for the top 10 to #14.

Factor is the Warriors track record in the 1st round, he's DOOMED before he even began.

If any of that were true, they would be good points.

Both randolph's height and weight listed are wrong. Randolph, with pt, put up better stats. I guess Thompson is better because he was picked a whopping 2 picks ahead of Randolph, because as we know, draft position is an indicator of how good a player is. And the kings suck even worse than the warriors so..
Catchall:The Bucks traded him for Monta Ellis and did well in that trade.If they can move Biedrins and Jefferson without losing much more than Barnes and another pick, I will be genuinely impressed.Iguodala is a short-sighted contract. Overrated player.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#62 » by Smills91 » Mon Jul 6, 2009 12:58 pm

gswhoopsman wrote:
Smills91 wrote:
DanLanghiOwnsAll wrote:Thompson over Randolph? You guys are kidding yourselves now.

LEts see, Thompson at 250 pounds and 6'11 or Randolph at 6'10 and 190 pounds? Which would you take on your roster??? Let's not factor in Thompson put up BETTER stats the ENTIRE season.

Com'n man, Randolph is becoming a David Lee or Channing Frye of RealGM. Overhyped and overrated. Nice young player, but there's a reason he fell from lock for the top 10 to #14.

Factor is the Warriors track record in the 1st round, he's DOOMED before he even began.

If any of that were true, they would be good points.

Both randolph's height and weight listed are wrong. Randolph, with pt, put up better stats. I guess Thompson is better because he was picked a whopping 2 picks ahead of Randolph, because as we know, draft position is an indicator of how good a player is. And the kings suck even worse than the warriors so..

Hmm...because I used Thompson draft position vs. Randolph's somewhere?

I used FACTS. Thompson has an NBA body. He's much bigger, stronger and just as agile/quick as Randolph. He's also more skilled. He put up better rookie stats and he even plays a beneficial big man swing of the 4 or 5. Randolph is a tweener between the 3/4, rarely a good thing.

Historically speaking, players' 'versatility' has often looked like this:

2/3 - GOOD
4/5 - GOOD

1/2 - BAD
3/4 - BAD

Randolph may become a nice player, who knows. But Thompson showed MORE over a CONSISTENT period of time. I'd put money down that THompson has a better career between the two as he has the stats, skills and body type to excel at the NBA level, whereas Randolph has the dreaded P WORD(potential) attached to his name/game.
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#63 » by BubbaTee » Mon Jul 6, 2009 3:53 pm

ManualRam wrote:rubio's a franchise direction changing talent. his style of play is the type that'll not only bring excitement but will also elevate the play of his teammates. you also dont have to worry about who can play with him cuz he can play with anybody. players like him create synergy on teams.
can't say the same about evans.

To be fair, the Kings already went through the "PG who makes the game more exciting" thing with Jason Williams, and decided it wasn't for them, and traded him for Mike Bibby, who's boring.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#64 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jul 6, 2009 3:59 pm

Smills91 wrote:

I used FACTS. Thompson has an NBA body. He's much bigger, stronger and just as agile/quick as Randolph. He's also more skilled. He put up better rookie stats and he even plays a beneficial big man swing of the 4 or 5. Randolph is a tweener between the 3/4, rarely a good thing.

2/3 - GOOD
4/5 - GOOD

1/2 - BAD
3/4 - BAD

Randolph may become a nice player, who knows. But Thompson showed MORE over a CONSISTENT period of time. I'd put money down that THompson has a better career between the two as he has the stats, skills and body type to excel at the NBA level, whereas Randolph has the dreaded P WORD(potential) attached to his name/game.

You're a tweener if you're too short for your skill set. Randolph is 6'11 with the skillset and quickness of a small forward. He's not a tweener.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#65 » by Smills91 » Mon Jul 6, 2009 4:00 pm

BubbaTee wrote:
ManualRam wrote:rubio's a franchise direction changing talent. his style of play is the type that'll not only bring excitement but will also elevate the play of his teammates. you also dont have to worry about who can play with him cuz he can play with anybody. players like him create synergy on teams.

To be fair, the Kings already went through the "PG who makes the game more exciting" thing with Jason Williams, and decided it wasn't for them, and traded him for Mike Bibby, who's boring.Yet infinitely more effective.

Fixed for accuracy.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#66 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Jul 6, 2009 10:00 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Smills91 wrote:

2/3 - GOOD
4/5 - GOOD

1/2 - BAD
3/4 - BAD

You're a tweener if you're too short for your skill set. Randolph is 6'11 with the skillset and quickness of a small forward. He's not a tweener.

Randolph is 6'9 exactly in his barefeet, and 200 pounds, unless you believe what GS fans are saying, and he put on 20 pounds without anyone noticing.

I'd take him over Thompson, but he's been blown way out of proportion... from his athleticism, his potential, and his skill set.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#67 » by BubbaTee » Mon Jul 6, 2009 10:11 pm

Smills91 wrote:
BubbaTee wrote:

To be fair, the Kings already went through the "PG who makes the game more exciting" thing with Jason Williams, and decided it wasn't for them, and traded him for Mike Bibby, who's boring.Yet infinitely more effective.

Fixed for accuracy.

Agree. It shows that "excitement" isn't priority #1 in SAC.
gswhoopsman
Pro Prospect

Post#68 » by gswhoopsman » Mon Jul 6, 2009 11:40 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Smills91 wrote:

2/3 - GOOD
4/5 - GOOD

1/2 - BAD
3/4 - BAD

Randolph is 6'9 exactly in his barefeet, and 200 pounds, unless you believe what GS fans are saying, and he put on 20 pounds without anyone noticing.

I'd take him over Thompson, but he's been blown way out of proportion... from his athleticism, his potential, and his skill set.

Yeah, unless you believe what gs fans + every local media outlet + the warriors organization +randolph himself as saying, hes 6'9 and 200 pounds :roll:

Yeah I guess it makes more sense to believe that a persons height and weight don't change once they've reached the ripe old age of 19.
Catchall:The Bucks traded him for Monta Ellis and did well in that trade.If they can move Biedrins and Jefferson without losing much more than Barnes and another pick, I will be genuinely impressed.Iguodala is a short-sighted contract. Overrated player.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#69 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jul 7, 2009 12:23 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:

So he's 6'10 by NBA standards, and he's thin no doubt, but he's not really a tweener. At least not the kind you avoid. He's got the quickness and the handle of a small forward. Whether he's overrated or not, I can't tell you.
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#70 » by Paydro70 » Tue Jul 7, 2009 3:39 pm

GSW fans are way overexcited about him, as is their prerogative as fans. It's just like how Pistons fans said they wouldn't trade Stuckey for anything.

Regardless, saying he's 6'9" is for effect, everyone (including Thompson) is listed by height in shoes. Randolph isn't really a tweener, any more than other athletic 4s like Bosh are. He's just skinny, and may always be, but it clearly doesn't affect his ability to block shots or rebound. I'd much rather have him than Thompson.

As for the OP, as others have said, Evans needs to clearly be better than Rubio for it to have made sense, because they had the clearest need in the high lottery and they passed on a very well-regarded prospect.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#71 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jul 7, 2009 11:51 pm

gswhoopsman wrote:Yeah, unless you believe what gs fans + every local media outlet + the warriors organization +randolph himself as saying, hes 6'9 and 200 pounds :roll:

Yeah I guess it makes more sense to believe that a persons height and weight don't change once they've reached the ripe old age of 19.

I also believe Jerome Bettis was 245, that's what he said, and that's what he was listed at on the team website!!!

Sorry if I don't believe GS fans, or local media outlets, if we believed that, we have to believe every fanboy from a team, and every teams local media.

Randolph is 6'10, 205 max, the reports that he gained 20 pounds is laughable, someone stick thin like that, 20 pounds shows so easy.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#72 » by NetsForce » Wed Jul 8, 2009 12:17 am

Why are we still discussing how Randolph gained 20 divided by 10 lbs...?
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#73 » by ManualRam » Wed Jul 8, 2009 2:31 am

BubbaTee wrote:
Smills91 wrote:
BubbaTee wrote:

Fixed for accuracy.

Agree. It shows that "excitement" isn't priority #1 in SAC.

bringing excitement would be a bonus. it would definitely help a franchise that was dead last in attendance last yr.
rubio's style of play and effect he would have on his teammates was my main point.
also, unlike j-will, there is substance to rubio's game. he's far from being just flash.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#74 » by Esohny » Wed Jul 8, 2009 2:52 am

Thank goodness they didn't take Rubio. I'm very grateful that they left him for the Wolves.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
gswhoopsman
Pro Prospect

Post#75 » by gswhoopsman » Wed Jul 8, 2009 10:12 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
gswhoopsman wrote:Yeah, unless you believe what gs fans + every local media outlet + the warriors organization +randolph himself as saying, hes 6'9 and 200 pounds :roll:

I also believe Jerome Bettis was 245, that's what he said, and that's what he was listed at on the team website!!!

Sorry if I don't believe GS fans, or local media outlets, if we believed that, we have to believe every fanboy from a team, and every teams local media.

Randolph is 6'10, 205 max, the reports that he gained 20 pounds is laughable, someone stick thin like that, 20 pounds shows so easy.

Believing local media is like believing fans? WTF? :lol: I guess we'd better trust you then, what with all the connections you have to Randolph.

Yeah weight does show easy, and it DID show towards the end of the season that he put on some mass. And of course, given that you've seen Randolph since the season ended, you would know how much weight hes gained in the offseason.

But like I said, it makes more sense to believe a person stops growing once they've hit the ripe old age of 19.

Return to NBA Draft