Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,499

Re: Jennings 

Post#21 » by Bernman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:49 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
That's a straw man. He was making the point that people drool all over certain players due to volume statistics and flashiness, when that is actually just pretty wrapping paper for the socks that are encased inside. He's not getting a scolding for being entertaining by anybody, that's just creating a situation where people over-value him as a result and then others need compensate for that.

As far as contributing to victories thus far against the Bucks, he did indeed help them beat the Pistons, but arguably counteracted that by shooting them out of the Bulls' game, and in my opinion the team has won in spite of him the last two games (I'd know as a Bucks' fan). Bad or good, it is just 5 games, netting a 3-2 record against a crappy schedule. Smills' projection was more long-term stemming from his opinion previous to the draft.

I do however think, unless his avatar/signature set is ironic, it was ironic he specifically predicted that Jennings is a fraud. If proven to be prophetic, Jennings will have manipulated the system into making hundreds of millions of dollars over his career, 10+ times more than anyone should reasonably spend in a lifetime, yet a high majority of that money should be untouchable by the American public. Money he would not have seen any of had he gotten seriously injured or ill in high school. Hell, if he had a borderline injury/illness, would his MOM's two jobs have provided the medical coverage to enable him to become some semblance of the fraud he'll supposedly become?

Good grief Bern. Why can't you just be excited about a Bucks rookie? Sometimes I honestly think you'd rather be right on a prospect than have the Bucks do well. Just enjoy it.

You've said that a couple times now and it's inaccurate.

It's not my obligation to be a believer in, or blind defender of, any player who represents my team, just because I'm a fan of said team. It irks me when other people do it so I'd be a hypocrite if I did it myself. I think it's more of a positive than a negative to have principles and stick to them.

Remember how I stuck to my guns on Yee in spite of receiving plenty of sniper fire (from you included I'm sure who had an affinity for the guy and I was killing your buzz), and I was proven right over time? I had a strong opinion pre-draft for a reason, so to do a 180 based on a 5-10 game sample where he played solidly at the beginning of his rookie season would have been reactive and foolish. In spite of being productive, I still saw the reasons to be leery about his effectiveness that I identified pre-draft, leading to his contributions being fleeting over time.

Somewhat similarly with Jennings, I still see the reasons for concern that identified pre-draft, in spite of him achieving early success, for the most part (IMO, 4 good to excellent games, 1 neutral, 2 negative). The primary one is his shot selection. I've cringed about 7-8 times per game when he's taken a shot, but over half the time up until this juncture I ended up being relieved that they ended up going through the hoop. However, I've never seen those quality of shots executed efficiently over the course of a season. It's a matter of believing he's the exception to the rule and it'll continue, when I see it occur. Also, he has almost solely looked to kick out passing on drives (a tendency which Billups read and exploited down the stretch this last game), and he goes into modes of being a scorer or a passer for periods of time instead of taking what the defense gives him on a particular play.

To this point I have been enjoying Brandon Jennings' success and what it's translated into for the Bucks as a team, I just hope it's not fleeting like I feel like is still a probability in my mind. Could I be wrong? Sure, I've never claimed to be perfect or anywhere near it. Just don't blame me for continuing to express what I think to be true. I said after we initially drafted Jennings I fully expected to get sniped at again in the interim because he will have probably have some outstanding performances, post stats, and is the type of player who'll win over a lot of fans.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,778

Post#22 » by Ayt » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:05 pm

He's nothing like Marbury because he's not braindead.

Marbury probably would have killed himself if he went to Italy and went through what Jennings did last year.
BBIB
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#23 » by BBIB » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:33 am

A 55 point game. How many rookies in NBA history have had a 50 point game?

If I had to guess I'd say not many. Granted it was vs a scrub team, Jennings is clearly the best rookie in the NBA.

But I don't expect most of the people who were hating on this kid to own up to it, because quite frankly most people online have too big of an ego to admit when they were flat out wrong about a prospect.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,458

Post#24 » by Foye » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:14 pm

Gotta admit I was wrong about Jennings, yes.

Saw him 3 or 4 times last season playing for Rome and he didn't impress me that much at all. I mean it was pretty clear that he had great athleticism but I didn't think he could be so dominant on NBA-level.
I guess the nba-rules favor his style of play a lot more than FIBA-rules and he got put into a very comfortable situation in Milwaukee.

Gotta take my hat off. He proved me wrong.
Jennings is clearly the most nba ready rookie this season.
I've always thought that basketball here in Europe was better competition than the NCAA could be and BJ shows that this year in Rome put him lightyears ahead of the other rooks.
Desmond24
Pro Prospect

Post#25 » by Desmond24 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:58 am

I am a huge Jennings fan. LOVE him. As a Bucks fan I don't think any of us really knew what we were getting so we didn't put too much pressure on him. OMG has he revitalized this franchise. He is our superstar, our savior. He IS, not won't be, but IS a special player. He has the "it" factor, that fire in him that you can't teach anyone. You have it or you don't. If at the end of the season, he doesn't perform like he has (and 10 games is a pretty good indication of what we can expect. And in all probability he'll be better with his assists going up), I'd man up and admit I was wrong.

I am just confident I won't have to do that. And I am not ashamed to say I love this kid and refuse to look at him unbiased. I am a huge fan of his and his play. (However, I can realize his mistakes as he does)
Officially on Brandon Jennings ROY bandwagon
JoeHova
Lead Assistant
And1: 61

Post#26 » by JoeHova » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:21 am

Rapture wrote:I really doubt he's mentally strong enough, in the long run he'll be seen as Marbury or Steve Francis part 2 or maybe he'll even find himself locked up in a jail cell before his career is over. Anyways I can't see him becoming a team leader and a good point guard in a successful play-off team.

Jail? Sure, anybody could end up in jail at some point, but why him specifically? Just because he talked trash about Rubio?
"Look, if he sees me on his lawn waving a gun around, he's gonna pretend not to be home."
Danimalz
Sophomore

Post#27 » by Danimalz » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:45 pm

[quote="JoeHova"][quote="Rapture"]I really doubt he's mentally strong enough, in the long run he'll be seen as Marbury or Steve Francis part 2 or maybe he'll even find himself locked up in a jail cell before his career is over. Anyways I can't see him becoming a team leader and a good point guard in a successful play-off team.[/quote]

Jail? Sure, anybody could end up in jail at some point, but why him specifically? Just because he talked trash about Rubio?[/quote]

It's humorous how much pride that haters have where they can't admit where they are wrong. They would rather exercise wishful thinking that guy without a rap sheet will find himself in jail.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,778

Post#28 » by Ayt » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 pm

Rapture wrote:I have to admit that Jennings' numbers have surprised me a bit though I haven't seen any of his games thusfar. I changed my mind on Jennings prior to the draft because there seems to be something off with this guy mentally. Like some people already said he's super athletic and all, has huge potential but can he really put it all together? I really doubt he's mentally strong enough, in the long run he'll be seen as Marbury or Steve Francis part 2 or maybe he'll even find himself locked up in a jail cell before his career is over. Anyways I can't see him becoming a team leader and a good point guard in a successful play-off team.

You are unbelievably off the mark.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#29 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:21 pm

The part about Jennings that surprises me isn't that he's scoring this much offensively, it's that he's being doing it unselfishly, has been a team player, and has been great on d. I was expecting Marbury/Francis incarnate, or at least Harris.
heynow
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by heynow » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:06 am

Smills91 wrote:I was and AM an unabashed Jennings hater. While I think it's safe to say I was wrong that he'd be a bust, I still don't think he's anything more than an average PG. I think he'll be this generation's starbury, flashy play with gaudy numbers, but little to no substance to his game translating to wins and losses.

Like your commentary on politics, your assessment of BB playing ability is minimal.
Stick to things you are intellectually equipped for; tossing horseshoes and collecting string.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#31 » by the_bruce » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:32 pm

I had jennings grouped with lawson & flynn on my board.

I probably favored lawson/flynn mostly because I see to much starbury in Jennings.

Return to NBA Draft