Daniel Orton?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,337

Daniel Orton? 

Post#1 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Thu Apr 1, 2010 7:27 pm

With word going around that this kid may declare for the draft I was wondering if y'all could help me out.

Who would you compare this kid to?

Ceiling / Basement?

Pros and Cons?

Where do you think he would go in next years draft assuming he would carry the load for a departed D. Cousins?
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Re: Daniel Orton? 

Post#2 » by ahartleyvu » Thu Apr 1, 2010 8:52 pm

If he stays next season and starts at center... I think he is a top 10-12 pick.

- 6'10" 260, I actually thought he was 6'11/7'0.
- Good wingspan (I've read 7'4" not sure of the accuracy)
- 9'2" reach
- Great vertical
- Strong
- Great defensive potential
- Looks solid in the post; although nothing real advanced that I've seen
- Not sure about any type of shooting range
- Seems to be a good rebounder
- Raw, tends to pick up fouls
EDIT - forgot to add... he seems to have pretty good hands which can be a rarity in the defensive oriented bigs.

I'm not sure about any comparison's yet. It's also hard to tell considering he didn't get a lot of PT... which isn't really a knock on him considering he was playing behind Cousins and Patterson.
ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Post#3 » by ahartleyvu » Thu Apr 1, 2010 9:00 pm

Cool video of Orton..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lisWT00SeLw

I think he missed out his senior year due to knee surgery so he hasn't gotten a ton of reps the past two years. (It might have been his junior year, if someone can clarify?)
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#4 » by Nolan » Thu Apr 1, 2010 11:31 pm

He should stay in school; develop his game and get in better shape. After Cousins and Patterson leave after this year he's gonna become the main man in the middle for the Wildcats. He's got some talent, he just needs to develop it.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
koolguy
Sixth Man
And1: 151

Post#5 » by koolguy » Fri Apr 2, 2010 8:10 pm

yeah another year could really help boost his stock.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 2, 2010 11:23 pm

ahartleyvu wrote:If he stays next season and starts at center... I think he is a top 10-12 pick.

- 6'10" 260, I actually thought he was 6'11/7'0.
- Good wingspan (I've read 7'4" not sure of the accuracy)
- 9'2" reach
- Great vertical
- Strong
- Great defensive potential
- Looks solid in the post; although nothing real advanced that I've seen
- Not sure about any type of shooting range
- Seems to be a good rebounder
- Raw, tends to pick up fouls
EDIT - forgot to add... he seems to have pretty good hands which can be a rarity in the defensive oriented bigs.

I'm not sure about any comparison's yet. It's also hard to tell considering he didn't get a lot of PT... which isn't really a knock on him considering he was playing behind Cousins and Patterson.

I agree with most of that, but I disagree on the great verticle. But he doesn't need it so much, because of his length and strength. I think he's only 6'10, but again... length, stength. But he's so raw, that I can't see him being a top 15 pick - even in this mediocre draft. His shot looks awfully flat. I haven't seen enough of him to tell if he'll be more than a Diop.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
9abovetherim
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#7 » by 9abovetherim » Wed Apr 7, 2010 11:24 pm

i really dont understand why hes ranked so high in mock drafts..
daddyfivestar
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by daddyfivestar » Thu Apr 8, 2010 12:00 am

An hour or two Ago, Announced he's coming out, along with Wall, Cousins, Patterson, and Bledsoe.
i<3basketball
Junior
And1: 3

Post#9 » by i<3basketball » Thu Apr 8, 2010 4:04 am

9abovetherim wrote:i really dont understand why hes ranked so high in mock drafts..

A legitimate center prospect who is young, has a lot of potential, already has an NBA body and is already a pretty good defender. Sounds like a first rounder to me. Would have played a lot of minutes if it weren't for 2 other lottery picks playing in front of him.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#10 » by poeman » Fri Apr 9, 2010 4:31 am

im calling this a bust
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#11 » by ponder276 » Fri Apr 9, 2010 6:58 am

Honestly I'm not sure how anyone can have a strong opinion on Orton one way or the other. He played such a limited role in Kentucky behind Cousins and Patterson that we really never got to see what he's capable of. The physical tools are certainly there - height is good but not great (6'9" barefoot?), but he's extremely long and very strong, reasonably athletic too (though not an athletic freak by any means). I think he's a guy who's draft position is going to depend almost entirely on what GMs/coaches see out of him in workouts. I could see him playing a role similar to what Perkins plays for the Celtics, but again, I don't at all feel like I have seen him in the kind of role I'd need to see him in to have a strong opinion.

Found some nice HS highlights though, shows a little bank shot which could be a promising sign, although he does shoot it crazy flat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnd9jx4N ... re=related

In other news, how crazy would it be if all 5 UK players went in the lottery? Seems unlikely, but possible. Wall and Cousins are obviously locks to go very high, and Orton, Patterson and Bledsoe all have shots at landing in the lotto. Not saying it's likely, but it is possible, and it does seem likely that all 5 will go in the 1st round (if they all stay in the draft).
ma_falaa_50
Analyst

Post#12 » by ma_falaa_50 » Fri Apr 9, 2010 4:03 pm

he declared for the draft so he knew where he stood. to be honest I think he should stay one more yer and develop his game.

gut check time suckas!
dream_catcher_9
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#13 » by dream_catcher_9 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:44 am

Chad Ford said the Thunder have an eye on him and will take him with one of their 1st round picks. I really doubt that is reliable info though.
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach
And1: 60

Post#14 » by SportsFan215 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:21 am

I see him as the second coming of Randolph Morris. He needs to stay another year.
spoonhoops
Pro Prospect
And1: 8

Post#15 » by spoonhoops » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:32 pm

I agree that this guy needs to stay another year to really improve his game. The fact that he is coming out so early is shocking. I bet 75% of his reasoning is the CBA and what affect it could have on his future earnings.

I do like him though, but he would get eaten alive in the NBA today. The Randolph Morris comparison above could be right on the money for this guy if he is not careful. At least Orton should be a first round pick though guaranteeing a salary for at the minimum 2 years.
Jazz_Man_86 on Favors:

"He is not Dwight Howard. He's max is 20 + 13 + 2 = is this a supers tats? No."

Dwight 2011-2012 - 20.6 Points - 14.5 Rebounds - 2.1 Blocks
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#16 » by teamjosh04 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:42 pm

He very well could end up like Randolph Morris, but NBA GMs would rather try and find a backup center in the draft versus overpaying one in free agency. He's a reasonable option where OKC has picks, but taking him any higher is questionable. Modeling his game after Perkins is his best bet in getting a second contract.

The advantage he has over Morris is that he's more of a true center. He isnt going to stray away from the basket and take jumpshots, and he has the potential to be more of a force defensively.
Follow my twitter for more thoughts on NBA Draft Prospects - http://twitter.com/almostournytime
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#17 » by old rem » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:59 am

Nolan wrote:He should stay in school; develop his game and get in better shape. After Cousins and Patterson leave after this year he's gonna become the main man in the middle for the Wildcats. He's got some talent, he just needs to develop it.

Obviously. He had a limited HS career due to injury and a limited...short college career due to having virtually no real skills. 3 pt...3 reb a game and he isn't returning,though Cousin's departure give him a chance at minutes? Is he a FOOL or is he SMART? Will some fool draft him just because he LOOKS like a player? Probably...especially if he does not get exposed by playing real minutes. Enjoy the money,kid,and your time in the D league.
CENSORED... No comment.
Chili Fries
Ballboy

Post#18 » by Chili Fries » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 am

SportsFan215 wrote:I see him as the second coming of Randolph Morris. He needs to stay another year.

He's a much different player than Morris. Orton is a lot better athlete. I think Morris' problem is that he's not an NBA level athlete for his size. Orton is above average in that department and is in great shape. The guy is a workout monster. Morris had a much more polished offensive game coming into the league. Orton is very raw offensively but has the capability to be a very good NBA defender. As somebody else said he fouls a lot. He plays too out of control on defense. He also racked up a bunch of goaltends at UK. Orton has a lot of potential as a defender and rebounder but his offensive progression will probably really lag behind. He's a motivated kid but at Kentucky he got real frustrated playing being Cousins, which was pretty unreasonable. I think he's definitely got a good chance to have a solid NBA career but another year of school would do him good even if that's not going to happen.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#19 » by djthesonicsfan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:06 pm

I too have heard Presti drafts Orton at 21. Makes sense.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,750

Post#20 » by gswhoops » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:07 pm

If Whiteside's off the board I could see the T'Wolves taking him at #16.

Return to NBA Draft