SPURS 2024 DRAFT THREAD

Moderator: G R E Y

Rustyman
Junior
And1: 320

Re: SPURS 2024 DRAFT THREAD 

Post#21 » by Rustyman » Thu May 9, 2024 5:14 am

Despite everyone claiming its a new NBA and big low-post centers no longer are valuable, I think Edey will be picked in the first, especially by a contending team who is seeing what the Wolves are doing.
Rustyman
Junior

Post#22 » by Rustyman » Thu May 9, 2024 5:33 am

If the Spurs are unlucky and get the 8-9 pick, I think they should call the Magic and discuss a trade for Anthony Black. I don't think the Magic had the time to develop him and I think he still has more potential than any PG other than Topic.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,282

Post#23 » by imagump1313 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:03 am

Rustyman wrote:Despite everyone claiming its a new NBA and big low-post centers no longer are valuable, I think Edey will be picked in the first, especially by a contending team who is seeing what the Wolves are doing.

SHHHHHHHH!!!!

We want everyone to forget about Edey so we cam get him ! :lol:

One of the biggest reasons I want him here are his fundamentals. I don't think he will be some superstar in the NBA but his fundamentals are off the charts like Tim Duncan. Wemby playing with him everyday can only help Wemby get even better.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by imagump1313 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:10 am

Rustyman wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:
I like Sarr and I'm positive that Wemby would never tell the Spurs not to draft him.

Does he actually not like Sarr or the other way around? or was the question posed simply who he thought the best French prospect was? Because I'm sure a lot of people might say Risacher.

I don't get the #1 option thing though. He's 19 and his agent's are dumb if they are demanding that.

If its the agents that dont get along I dont care as long as the players do.

I really hope we stay away from the Kentucky PGs though. The both have failure written all over them IMO. If we go PG I say go with Topic or wait and draft one later and hope he can play. I kind of like Hunter Sallis from Wake Forest who is projected to go in the 30s. He 6'5" and good passer and can score.

I'm still hoping we take Edey in the 2nd but not if we get Sarr.

Agree with your first statement. Sarr like any other prospect wants to be the highest pick possible and no draftee is guaranteed of being the #1 option on their team. I think people sometimes forget how much better NBA players are than college or overseas. It generally takes a year or two like Banchero if it ever happens.

Now, your second statement prompts my interest, why do you think the Kentucky guards are set for failure. With Sheppard, my expectation is that even if he is nothing more than he is now, he still complements our current PG. With Dillingham, his scoring potential makes me willing to take a chance, especially if that is our second 1st.

I want our first pick to be able to play and contribute right away. The most complete playmaker I see is Topic. I dont want to waste our first pick on one of the Kentucky guards because IMO they wont be able to contribute right away. If we dont draft Topic first we can get a stash PG later on in the draft and try to get a free agent playmaker or trade for one.(Unless we get Torontos pick and one of the KY guards are available and we didn't get Topic)

One of the reasons I like Sarr is I feel he can atleast contribute right away and im not soo sure Risacher can.
Rustyman
Junior

Post#25 » by Rustyman » Fri May 10, 2024 2:26 am

Agree on Topic before any other PG's however, for me Sheppard and Dillingham are only options if the Spurs fall into the 8-9 range or get the Toronto pick.
Rustyman
Junior

Post#26 » by Rustyman » Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 am

imagump1313 wrote:
Rustyman wrote:Despite everyone claiming its a new NBA and big low-post centers no longer are valuable, I think Edey will be picked in the first, especially by a contending team who is seeing what the Wolves are doing.

SHHHHHHHH!!!!

We want everyone to forget about Edey so we cam get him ! :lol:

One of the biggest reasons I want him here are his fundamentals. I don't think he will be some superstar in the NBA but his fundamentals are off the charts like Tim Duncan. Wemby playing with him everyday can only help Wemby get even better.

I like Edey, I think he can be a valuable 20 minute contributor off the bench immediately. If Edey is not available with one of the Spurs 2nd round picks, I would like them to take a flyer on that NC state C/F who battled Edey.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,286

Post#27 » by G R E Y » Sat May 11, 2024 5:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#28 » by G R E Y » Sat May 11, 2024 5:44 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#29 » by G R E Y » Sat May 11, 2024 5:47 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:We've been scouting Risacher for a while now:

The majority owner and CEO are big, conspicuous attendees. It's either major interest or major smokescreen or somewhere in between...

Love the size. He doesn't seem to be much of a playmaker like Topic is though.
Of course there is the Wemby factor.

I would like to see actual measurables on Topic. He's listed at 6'6" but looks like he is 6'1". He has a solid build though.

One thing for sure is if he plays for Serbia is he's tough as nails which is what we need.

Topic size is legit even factoring in the long neck:

Read on Twitter

I hope we get him.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#30 » by G R E Y » Sat May 11, 2024 6:15 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Some rumours to add:

Evan Townsend hosted a listening space on Twitter and in it said that Wemby has declared Risacher as the best French prospect, much to the chagrin of the Sarr camp.

Don't expect us to draft/keep Sarr if we draft him. His and Wemby's agencies do not get on well and Sarr's group want him to go to a team where he will be the #1 option. That's obviously not here.

He proposed a Keldon/Avdija swap and picks swap if we get a higher pick than Washington. I think it's an interesting trade idea. Love what Keldon brings and we'd have even fewer of the bulldozer types whose body just *moves* opponents, but have always liked Avdija and hoped we could move up to draft him even as I'm thrilled with Devin.

Clan the Spurs Fan said on his YouTube channel that Dillingham is already telling teams not to draft him as he wants us to.

Machinations abound.

It's going to be a very interesting several months of manoeuvring.

I like Sarr and I'm positive that Wemby would never tell the Spurs not to draft him.

Does he actually not like Sarr or the other way around? or was the question posed simply who he thought the best French prospect was? Because I'm sure a lot of people might say Risacher.

I don't get the #1 option thing though. He's 19 and his agent's are dumb if they are demanding that.

I really hope we stay away from the Kentucky PGs though. The both have failure written all over them IMO. If we go PG I say go with Topic or wait and draft one later and hope he can play. I kind of like Hunter Sallis from Wake Forest who is projected to go in the 30s. He 6'5" and good passer and can score.

The way it was described is that Wemby just offered an opinion about BPA, not specifically who was better between Risacher or Sarr. Yet that still rankled the Sarr camp.

I also don't think Wemby would go out of his way to tell us not to draft Sarr but that their agencies do not get along and that Sarr's camp (presumably Sarr himself?) reacted a certain kind of way to that BPA opinion speaks to having to deal with a touchy group.

If it's between trading Sarr and getting assets we need vs. keeping him and getting into some sort of uncomfortable appeasement situation right off the bat with a very O limited player, I vote the former, especially as the latter may irritate Wemby. Won't happen.

And frankly we've learned to move on quickly from discordant situations so best not to place ourselves in one to begin with.

Speaking of which, Shams had stated we inquired about Murray. Shams carries Klutch jock strap like jewellery, so it'll be interesting to see if he's still pushing as much for Trae as he is for Murray now that Trae has left Klutch.

Anyway, Townsend stated bluntly what I suspected as a gut sense that PATFO are in no humour to reacquire Murray. We inquired as a general matter about players who may be available likely focusing on Trae and whatever players conversations veered to is a different thing than targeting Murray specifically.

They were surprised and put off by Murray's comments about PATFO and his recent backpedaling tour about how much he loves Pop and positive tweets about Wemby are not changing a thing.

Not only do we know what we experienced with him, not only did he go on that weirdo summer diss campaign, but Hawks insiders speak of locker room tension with Murray that prompted quick trade rumours by the deadline. He's a problem no matter what he wants to portray himself as publicly.

Back to Sarr. Yeah if his agents are letting it be known that they want him as the #1 focal point, then it's a signal to both teams who already have one and those who want one.

I like both Dillingham and Sheppard but not as lead guard for the latter and I'm not convinced of the true PGness of Dillingham.

Sheppard as a floor spacer is killer though.

Agree that Topic is the best PG choice. Have to look more into Sallis.

Edey I'm not as enamoured with as you are. I see the toughness and fundamentals but also how what works in college could get exploited in NBA.

Lots of bigs in the draft and we will need to make some decisions about Mamu and Bassey (among others) as well so our bigs situation may well change some too.

If we do draft a big, I expect someone with floor spacing ability so as to cover for a potential Zach trade to a contender down the line. It's what we did when we signed Zach to begin with, as insurance for the eventual Jakob trade.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#31 » by G R E Y » Sat May 11, 2024 6:27 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
Rustyman wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:

Agree with your first statement. Sarr like any other prospect wants to be the highest pick possible and no draftee is guaranteed of being the #1 option on their team. I think people sometimes forget how much better NBA players are than college or overseas. It generally takes a year or two like Banchero if it ever happens.

Now, your second statement prompts my interest, why do you think the Kentucky guards are set for failure. With Sheppard, my expectation is that even if he is nothing more than he is now, he still complements our current PG. With Dillingham, his scoring potential makes me willing to take a chance, especially if that is our second 1st.

I want our first pick to be able to play and contribute right away. The most complete playmaker I see is Topic. I dont want to waste our first pick on one of the Kentucky guards because IMO they wont be able to contribute right away. If we dont draft Topic first we can get a stash PG later on in the draft and try to get a free agent playmaker or trade for one.(Unless we get Torontos pick and one of the KY guards are available and we didn't get Topic)

One of the reasons I like Sarr is I feel he can atleast contribute right away and im not soo sure Risacher can.

It's funny but I feel the exact opposite about them. With Sarr's undeveloped O, he'd be someone a team would have to wait for or limit set ups for. Risacher is a good defender, can drive, and can play off ball and hit 3s. Far more of a plug and play from the get go type of player.

As an alternate for PG, I like also Djurisic and Nunez.

Wow can Sallis ever knock it down. Like it a lot.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Rustyman
Junior

Post#32 » by Rustyman » Sat May 11, 2024 10:27 pm

While I don't pretend to be an insider and know nothing of potential tension with Wemby, there is no way the Spurs draft Sarr if there is any hint that he may have problems integrating with Wemby. This is based on their previous history of how the treat problem players.

Now TD was probably the easiest person in the world to build around because he simply seemed to only care about winning and left the running of the team to PATFO. Wemby's personality makes me think that he will make it clear (in the background) if he has any problems with any players.
Rustyman
Junior

Post#33 » by Rustyman » Sat May 11, 2024 10:30 pm

G R E Y wrote:It's funny but I feel the exact opposite about them. With Sarr's undeveloped O, he'd be someone a team would have to wait for or limit set ups for. Risacher is a good defender, can drive, and can play off ball and hit 3s. Far more of a plug and play from the get go type of player.

As an alternate for PG, I like also Djurisic and Nunez.

Wow can Sallis ever knock it down. Like it a lot.

I agree with you on the Risacher vs Sarr debate. I think Risacher takes the SF position immediately and contributes. With Sarr (despite his undeniable athletic talents), I think it might take a year to find his best role.
mzfk69
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#34 » by mzfk69 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:45 am

G R E Y wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:We've been scouting Risacher for a while now:

The majority owner and CEO are big, conspicuous attendees. It's either major interest or major smokescreen or somewhere in between...

I would like to see actual measurables on Topic. He's listed at 6'6" but looks like he is 6'1". He has a solid build though.

One thing for sure is if he plays for Serbia is he's tough as nails which is what we need.

Read on Twitter

I hope we get him.

r u sure that Wemby needs true point guard?
maybe a scoring first guard like Jamal Murray or Tyrese Maxey would be a better fit with our franchise player
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by imagump1313 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:42 pm

mzfk69 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:

Read on Twitter

I hope we get him.

maybe a scoring first guard like Jamal Murray or Tyrese Maxey would be a better fit with our franchise player

Well, we have a scoring first guard in Vassell and he seems to take away from the effectiveness of Wemby without a playmaker of some type on the floor.

I agree we dont need to necessarily have a true PG but we need someone who can get us to run an offense.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#36 » by G R E Y » Sun May 12, 2024 1:44 pm

mzfk69 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:

Read on Twitter

I hope we get him.

Ha fair point! I'm not sure about much in this draft. It's best to put it into a proper context. Townsend, whose Twitter space hosting I've referred to here, pointed out that different drafts have different overall purposes, even as each draft serves a different purpose for a given team.

So even if a team gets the #1 pick, this is not the draft that has a franchise altering talent. Next year's projects to, last year's certainly did, but this season is more about filling in holes or manoeuvring in such a way as to maximize assets to acquire fit and need.

Like who's the clear head and shoulders BPA in this draft? A case has been made for several. If we get a higher pick we can draft for another team that has a player(s) we covet while not having to wait for a raw player to grow as a starter/with starters.

If you look at all the teams remaining in the POs, and the teams that had a lot of talent but are out, one of the common denominators is a very good PG or lack of one. Not just a distributor, but a guy with a relentless mindset and motor, and yes, a guy who can create his own shot and score. The best teams have the best D as well.

The PGs still playing are also in general of the more stocky type (Hali being the exception), better for a more physical post season.

But I may be getting ahead of myself.

This draft is as much about right fit around Wemby to get us to the next step as it is about how well we scout. It's about talent acquisition but also balancing our roster with better shooters and maybe a bit more experience.

I don't mind starting Topic, for instance, right off the bat, even though he's one of the younger players in this draft. He's has good experience versus grown men. I like how he sees and thinks the game. Maybe Risacher, too. But it would be good to flip some assets for starting 1/3 insurance and have rookies grow under them without subjecting them to thrown into fire pressure.

I'm not convinced there's a surefire player you can just plug and play without a drop off and right now it's that drop off, especially at 3 frankly, but also long term at 1 and back up 1 (which is where I think we see Tre) that would be great to raise to the level of that fits Wemby, Devin, Sochan.

I'm also not convinced Dillingham's altheticism can overcome his size. His weak D is also a factor.

So yeah I agree with you but am not sure that guy is in this draft (again Dilly can score, but what else?). And if he is, we have to wait on him to develop his game which brings me to the point about getting more experience via trade at 1 and 3.

Just a very confounding draft.

We are in a great position to get someone who falls, though. It's not as if there is a clear 1-3 tier and then a drop off.

PATFO have a challenging opportunity ahead.

I expect the 1 and 3 to be addressed this summer and trust who we get, even if they may be more for what we do next and not necessarily long term solutions. I'd be happily surprised if we achieved the latter.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#37 » by G R E Y » Sun May 12, 2024 7:25 pm

:o

Not only do we get TO's pick at 8, we moved up to the top 4 with our own pick...

ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#38 » by G R E Y » Sun May 12, 2024 7:28 pm

We have 4th and 8th picks. Sweet!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
damanick10
Starter
And1: 3,177

Post#39 » by damanick10 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:30 pm

Great outcome!
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#40 » by G R E Y » Sun May 12, 2024 7:48 pm

Read on Twitter

Wow. We still moved up and converted the Jakob trade our way so it's still a double win. Feel like we'll get our guy(s) in these spots.

We have four picks next year...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs