No
60%

Total votes: 5

KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

ESPN 

Post#1 » by KobeBryant24 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 7:16 am

Ive got to ask this simple question to spurs fans , do you guys even watch ESPN ( or nbatv ) knowing that they never want to talk about you guys. I mean you guys won the championship and still anytime i watch those channels its about Lebron.
SPURt
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Re: ESPN 

Post#2 » by SPURt » Fri Aug 8, 2014 1:10 pm

I'm actually glad they don't cover San Antonio that closely. I think it's aided the Spurs success on the court. ESPN does have Skip, but even then the producers keep him on a leash. The Spurs haven't done anything too exciting this summer. If they want to watch Lebron get thinner, have fun!

I'm surprised the Becky Hammond signing hasn't got more love though. The President gave that a shout out. The only part that frustrates me is when they start making championship predictions and the Spurs aren't even considered. Listening to guys like Stephen A blather on about how Portland, OKC, Clips, and Houston were in a class above San Antonio got old around the All Star break. Then we didn't lose for a month. At the end of the day I'll take championships over seeing video of Tim Duncan visiting an NFL team.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#3 » by Nolan » Fri Aug 8, 2014 3:47 pm

ESPN's a complete joke. That is all.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#4 » by KobeBryant24 » Sat Aug 9, 2014 4:48 am

Great response SPURt , you are very right id def take a champion over espn coverage any day

But it has to piss you guys sometimes , i know i would hate it
spurcase
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#5 » by spurcase » Sat Aug 9, 2014 6:00 am

People used to think Spurs fans were paranoid when they said that the media ignored the Spurs. But I think the last couple of years has been so obvious that even non Spurs fans have realized that it is a fact. And I guess ESPN thinks they are going by what people want in not talking about the Spurs, but the number of posts commenting on it shows that they are just fooling themselves. Of course the Spurs are not going to be a big topic of conversation because they do not provide drama, but to ignore them completely is making ESPN look very stupid. But I personally have gotten past it and just have to laugh at them. :lol:
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#6 » by ChosunX » Sat Aug 9, 2014 6:57 am

Why is Simmons obviously hasting on us?
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#7 » by imagump1313 » Sat Aug 9, 2014 1:03 pm

I think most of us are in agreement. Who cares what ESPN thinks? The call letters say it all. ENTERTAINMENT and Sports Programming Network. The Spurs are all about basketball, which is why I love them. The rest of the league is about entertainment. I love competitive basketball, I couldn't care less about the drama show. The league is turning into pro wrestling and will go over the edge when Pop and the rest retire. I fear for that day because I wont watch the Entertainment Basketball League.
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#8 » by co_laper » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:35 pm

I browse ESPN and have NBA TV along with NBA League Pass.

I don't really care that they don't talk about the Spurs. When I'm looking for Spurs related stuff, I usually go to 3 sites. Mysa.com. ProjectSpurs.com. 48minutesofhell.com.

I go to ESPN or watch NBA TV generally to know what's going on around the league. I don't stop watching/reading them just because they don't talk about the Spurs.
Kaelin
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#9 » by Kaelin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:16 pm

While obviously entertainment-driven and still preoccupied with LeBron, I'll sometimes listen to Around the Horn or Pardon the Interruption via podcast (ATH contestants in particular have some incentive to respect quality). I'll watch games of interest, but I'll mute if I need to.

The Internet fortunately helps us supplement as desired.
SPURt
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by SPURt » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:25 am

ChosunX wrote:Why is Simmons obviously hasting on us?

He feels the Celtics should have gotten Tim Duncan because they tanked for him. Then in 2001 they whiffed on Joseph Forte in lue of Tony Parker. Not to mention Tim has a better legacy than the shortish career of Larry Bird and his 3 championships.

Bill Simmons insistence on not supporting the Tim/Pop Spurs as one of the longest most dominant runs by any franchise, spanning across almost twenty years, really invalidates him as a serious basketball head. He placed Kobe, Jordan, Bird, Magic, and LEBRON in a class above Tim. The best teams in NBA history are Russell's Celts, Magic's Lakers, Bird's Celt's, Jordan's Bulls, Kobe's Lakers, and Duncan's Spurs. There are 30 championships spread amongst those 6 teams, with Bird's Celtics being the least productive. Simmons is spoiled being an old school Celtics homer.

My favorite player is David Robinson, but I can't deny Tim is the greatest Spur regardless of my personal bias. I also can't deny Hakeem has to rate above David because of the Western Conference beat down he gave D Rob. It is what it is.

Thanks for the shout out KobeBryant24!
ChosunX
Banned User

Post#11 » by ChosunX » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:33 pm

I could understand if they were as arrogant as the Heat, but is just childish.
spurcase
Sophomore

Post#12 » by spurcase » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:09 pm

Sometimes I think it is a matter of stubbornness. And I don't think it is so much the "talking heads" as it is the management and producers. Several of the hosts on shows have let it slip that they have been instructed in production meetings not to talk about the Spurs. It really takes something special for them to even mention them. And look at how many times when they do that they actually acknowledge that they have ignored the Spurs to the point of looking foolish, but every year it happens again.

I also think it might be a bit of childish pettiness. Every season they think that the Spurs are finally done. It just has to happen sometime, doesn't it?. Then when the Spurs continue to perform at a top level, they get caught out again and are made to look foolish. So they "punish" the Spurs by ignoring them.
SPURt
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by SPURt » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:28 pm

Kaelin
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#14 » by Kaelin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:34 am

For those of us not on mobile devices:

West: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11334 ... -standings
East: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11334 ... -standings

It is rather surprising that the "experts" were still willing to rank the Spurs ahead of the Cavs (who are probably still shy of the Spurs but benefit from a soft East schedule and had LeBron hype to influence voters) but not the Thunder. Of course the Thunder stars are in their mid-20s (and should be getting better), but Scott Brooks isn't giving them quality plays to improve upon.

I feel like the Spurs should be ranked a couple games better than the Thunder, but given that Pop rests players, they're susceptible to performing below the Thunder in the regular season, saving their energy and exploiting their bench development in the playoffs. Even if these projections are accurate estimates, a one-win separation also gives the Spurs a healthy crack at finishing ahead of the Thunder anyway. Between those two considerations, Spurs would still have a better title chance than the Thunder. I can't complain too much.
ChosunX
Banned User

Post#15 » by ChosunX » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:33 pm

spurcase wrote:Sometimes I think it is a matter of stubbornness. And I don't think it is so much the "talking heads" as it is the management and producers. Several of the hosts on shows have let it slip that they have been instructed in production meetings not to talk about the Spurs.

You have a reliable source?
spurcase
Sophomore

Post#16 » by spurcase » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:56 pm

My reliable "source" is my own ears. I heard Skip Bayless flat out say the week after the finals that their producer had told him not to talk about the Spurs. He did it anyway even though it was just a reference.,

I also heard a couple of guys on NBA TV talking about it. Don't remember who they were. One commented that they never talked about the Spurs. The other one reminded him that he had brought it up in a production meeting, wanting to talk about them and got shot down, people telling him no one wanted to hear about the Spurs. That was back during the regular season.

I have also heard other comments by various hosts saying pretty much the same thing.

So yeah, I guess you could say I have a good source. I listen and pay attention.
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#17 » by co_laper » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:43 am

spurcase wrote:My reliable "source" is my own ears. I heard Skip Bayless flat out say the week after the finals that their producer had told him not to talk about the Spurs. He did it anyway even though it was just a reference.,

I also heard a couple of guys on NBA TV talking about it. Don't remember who they were. One commented that they never talked about the Spurs. The other one reminded him that he had brought it up in a production meeting, wanting to talk about them and got shot down, people telling him no one wanted to hear about the Spurs. That was back during the regular season.

I have also heard other comments by various hosts saying pretty much the same thing.

So yeah, I guess you could say I have a good source. I listen and pay attention.

These days, everything is on the internet. Since your source is your own ears, I think that it wouldn't be hard for you to search it up and give us some links to it.

I've never heard or read or watch one TV host, journalist, or anybody in the media says they're instructed to not talk about the Spurs. So yeah I'm just as curious as the other guy when you claim you hear that on TV and a commentator admit that on TV.

I would think that if this really happens in public, a news will actually come out about it. If say ESPN was instructed not to talk about the Spurs and someone there admits to it, the story will come out say in.. RealGM.. or Hoopshype. Or the many many basketball news site and even blogs and it'll become a story.

No story is too small these days. Even as small as a story about producers instructing commentators not to talk about the Spurs. It'll be on the news if there's truth to it.

I saw Tim Duncan having sex with Becky Hammon with my own eyes. True story.
ChosunX
Banned User

Post#18 » by ChosunX » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:58 pm

I saw Tim Duncan having sex with Becky Hammon with my own eyes. True story.

Shame on you for sharing that. Us Spurs fans don't give a damn or talk who has sex withs who.

Return to San Antonio Spurs