Duncan resigns: 1 year 5 million

Moderator: G R E Y

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Duncan resigns: 1 year 5 million 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Thu Jul 2, 2015 8:51 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13188274/tim-duncan-san-antonio-spurs-confirms-return-19th-nba-season

Tim Duncan confirmed Thursday he'll return for a 19th season with the San Antonio Spurs to chase his sixth NBA championship ring.

"Finally had a chance to talk with [Spurs coach Gregg Popovich]," Duncan told the San Antonio Express-News on Thursday. "I'll be on the court next year."

Well I think we all knew this was going to happen the only question left to answer is how much is he going to sign for and is it only going to be a one year deal.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
fritopia
Ballboy
And1: 6

Re: Duncan confirms return for 19th season 

Post#2 » by fritopia » Sat Jul 4, 2015 3:58 am

:clap: Let's hope for a 2-year deal
law_1990
Rookie
And1: 709

Post#3 » by law_1990 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:10 pm

4 more years pls.
RollingWave wrote:it'll be 5 random guys Pop picked up at a ball yard and they'll win the title
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Nolan » Sat Jul 4, 2015 4:14 pm

I'm kinda hoping that it's a multi year deal too. He could definitely play another 2 years.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#5 » by co_laper » Sun Jul 5, 2015 4:41 am

My feeling is that this will be his last year because Duncan's statline is really going to plummet this year with LMA next to him and Duncan really is going to be worn down by all the defensive assignments.

With Tiago, Tiago is being assigned to guard the opponent's best post player to reduce risk of Duncan getting in foul trouble. It'll be during end of games that Pop put Duncan on the opposing best player. With LMA having a greater offensive role, I think Duncan will have to do what David Robinson did at his last year. Gives up all of his shots to LMA. Focus all of his energy on the defensive end. Can't see him averaging 15-9 for the season again. I'm thinking he'll look more like a 9-9 player in 28 minutes now much like Robinson was in 2003. After that, he'll retire.
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#6 » by UDRIH14 » Sun Jul 5, 2015 10:37 am

hopefully the 2nd year is a player option

then resign for the max or whatever to recoup that 20m loss....
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Duncan back for 19th season on 1 year 5 million dollar deal 

Post#7 » by Nolan » Thu Jul 9, 2015 8:02 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238696/Tim-Duncan-Agrees-To-One-Year-$5M-Deal-With-Spurs

Tim Duncan has agreed to re-sign with the San Antonio Spurs on a one-year, $5 million deal.

Duncan accepted a reduction in pay of almost $5 million to help the Spurs re-sign Danny Green and sign LaMarcus Aldridge. Duncan would make significantly more money had he tested the open market.

Duncan will be returning for the 20th season with the Spurs.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Duncan resigns: 1 year 5 million 

Post#8 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:55 pm

And apparently there's a player option for a 2nd year for 5 million.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#9 » by SD2042 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:17 am

co_laper wrote:My feeling is that this will be his last year because Duncan's statline is really going to plummet this year with LMA next to him and Duncan really is going to be worn down by all the defensive assignments.

With Tiago, Tiago is being assigned to guard the opponent's best post player to reduce risk of Duncan getting in foul trouble. It'll be during end of games that Pop put Duncan on the opposing best player. With LMA having a greater offensive role, I think Duncan will have to do what David Robinson did at his last year. Gives up all of his shots to LMA. Focus all of his energy on the defensive end. Can't see him averaging 15-9 for the season again. I'm thinking he'll look more like a 9-9 player in 28 minutes now much like Robinson was in 2003. After that, he'll retire.

In a way, the post is kind of sad b/c you know TD like D-Rob is on the verge of close the chapter on his career and to see him average less than 10.0 PPG is not something we're used to see from TD based on his career stats. :(

Return to San Antonio Spurs