The Offical I was so Wrong About David Lee Thread

Moderator: G R E Y

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

The Offical I was so Wrong About David Lee Thread 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:47 pm

I know I can't speak for everyone but I can't recall anyone being too positive about this signing and I was definitely not a big fan of the move. But damn has he been a great addition so far.

His numbers aren't all that crazy (6 and 5 in 16 minutes) but he's been a great fit so far and he's definitely been better than David West. Love the way he handles the ball and pushes the it in transition, he's been great on the boards (all those punch outs that don't show up in the stat sheet are huge too), his passing is sneaky good, he's money around the rim and his defense has actually been decent (he's done quite well switching out onto perimeter players).

So sorry David I was wrong about you.

What do you guys think of Lee so far?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
inDe_eD
Bench Warmer
And1: 869

Re: The Offical I was so Wrong About David Lee Thread 

Post#2 » by inDe_eD » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Nolan wrote:I know I can't speak for everyone but I can't recall anyone being too positive about this signing and I was definitely not a big fan of the move. But damn has he been a great addition so far.

His numbers aren't all that crazy (6 and 5 in 16 minutes) but he's been a great fit so far and he's definitely been better than David West. Love the way he handles the ball and pushes the it in transition, he's been great on the boards (all those punch outs that don't show up in the stat sheet are huge too), his passing is sneaky good, he's money around the rim and his defense has actually been decent (he's done quite well switching out onto perimeter players).

Have to eat crow here too. I was talking to a buddy about the signing during the summer and said things like "he's going to kill our bench". I'm sorry too David Lee!

So impressed with his effort on D. I know he's a bit limited by time/injuries/etc., but damn it he tries.
“Let's say TPE is a big hole, Ryan Anderson is a "power plug Dick" ($21 million a year). All you have to do is use the Dick to plug in. Great trade and great deal! This is called "perfect fit" in the nba.”
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Nolan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:33 pm

inDe_eD wrote:
Nolan wrote:I know I can't speak for everyone but I can't recall anyone being too positive about this signing and I was definitely not a big fan of the move. But damn has he been a great addition so far.

Have to eat crow here too. I was talking to a buddy about the signing during the summer and said things like "he's going to kill our bench". I'm sorry too David Lee!

So impressed with his effort on D. I know he's a bit limited by time/injuries/etc., but damn it he tries.

He's also a lot quicker than I thought and so agile in the paint. Seems to have picked up on things very quickly as well.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
mo7888
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#4 » by mo7888 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:56 pm

I think he is a great pickup for limited minutes. I also think that in addition to what he's bringing to the table right now he will also be at working with some of our young guys later in the season. Right now we are in the mode of getting our playoff guys in sync but, after we accomplish that Pop will get some of the young guys more play later in the season to develop them and rest the main guys. Lee is the perfect guy to playwith them and be a calming and steady influence to assist in their development.
inDe_eD
Bench Warmer
And1: 869

Post#5 » by inDe_eD » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:53 pm

Nolan wrote:
inDe_eD wrote:

He's also a lot quicker than I thought and so agile in the paint. Seems to have picked up on things very quickly as well.

I really thought he was washed up. Definitely a lot more spry than I ever could have hoped for. Here's to us getting a Vince Carter-ish roleplayer version of Lee for the next few years! :wordyo:
“Let's say TPE is a big hole, Ryan Anderson is a "power plug Dick" ($21 million a year). All you have to do is use the Dick to plug in. Great trade and great deal! This is called "perfect fit" in the nba.”
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,702

Post#6 » by -Sammy- » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:18 pm

I felt good about the signing, just because I felt like our system would facilitate allowing him to do the things that come naturally for him at this point in his career. Still, that's one of those 'can go either way' signings, so it's nice to see that it's paying off so far. He's got a few years left in him chronologically, so being in a spot where he's not a focal point and can produce in fewer minutes should benefit his longevity. Here's hoping it continues!
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#7 » by popfan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:31 pm

I was pleased when we signed Lee. I've always liked his game (Knicks and Warriors). I could care less if he can or can't hit threes. I love his presence on the court. He plays big and backs down to no one. He also seems like a great teammate.

I consider many Florida Gator players in the NBA -- such as Beal, Haslem, Parsons, Horford, and Miller -- to be good but overhyped. In the case of Lee, he's underhyped. Lee plays like a champion. I think we're fortunate to have him.

I'm also a fan of Noah, another former Gator, for similar reasons.

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Nolan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:12 pm

BombsquadSammy wrote:I felt good about the signing, just because I felt like our system would facilitate allowing him to do the things that come naturally for him at this point in his career. Still, that's one of those 'can go either way' signings, so it's nice to see that it's paying off so far. He's got a few years left in him chronologically, so being in a spot where he's not a focal point and can produce in fewer minutes should benefit his longevity. Here's hoping it continues!

I definitely did not feel that way. After watching him with Dallas and Boston last year I felt like he was a little too much of a black hole. Now it seems to me like he was being asked to just do too much for both of those teams.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,473

Post#9 » by Chinook » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Never had an issue with that signing. Had concerns over the Lee/Dedmon pairing, and the jury's still out on that one. Results are encouraging but mixed. There's still a role for a legit rotation-caliber power-forward to be had.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Nolan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:51 pm

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2016/11/14/13610310/david-lee-spurs-boris-diaw

Pretty interesting piece on Lee's impact so far.

Lee’s defensive shortcomings are well-known — he doesn’t offer much resistance against the pick and roll, and he’s fairly ground-bound around the rim — but he’s been quick at learning his role and getting into position. His 104 Def Rtg is fairly middle-of-the-pack on the roster right now, but he’s actually making opponents shoot 10% worse from the field at the moment, best on the team (note: I do not think that’s sustainable, but we’ll take it for now).

But it’s on offense where he’s really made an impact. The team’s scoring a ridiculous 135 points per 100 possessions when Lee’s on the floor.

The offensive numbers actually surprised me more than the defensive.

Return to San Antonio Spurs