Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition

Moderator: G R E Y

cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#121 » by cedric76 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:24 am

G R E Y wrote:
cedric76 wrote:Would you trade Vassell for a 2023 Lottery pick?

Bamba + Chicago FRP for Vassell?

My sense is no given that we want two firsts for Jakob alone.

I don't think PATFO consider anyone untradable, but I know they are super high on Devin. He's our best two-way player, more than doubled his PPG from last season and is just scratching the O surface, all still on a rookie contract.

Even if the 1st were unprotected, Chicago is getting bodies back and looks to be making a push.
Are they dismantling it all?

Have to say that an unprotected 2023, if that were offered, could be enticing. The balance to weigh is would player X be of more value than what we have in Devin.

Mo seems like a super nice guy but soft and with a questionable motor. Not what we're looking for in players.

Orlando will have 2 lottery pick (Orl and Chicago)

I would do Suggs+bamba+ FRP for vassell on draft night
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,120

Post#122 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:52 pm

Bulls fan here. I would love if the bulls traded for Tre Jones. whats his value? Would something like Coby white and two seconds get it done or is that wishful thinking?
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,709

Post#123 » by G R E Y » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:10 pm

cedric76 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
cedric76 wrote:Would you trade Vassell for a 2023 Lottery pick?

Bamba + Chicago FRP for Vassell?

My sense is no given that we want two firsts for Jakob alone.

I don't think PATFO consider anyone untradable, but I know they are super high on Devin. He's our best two-way player, more than doubled his PPG from last season and is just scratching the O surface, all still on a rookie contract.

Even if the 1st were unprotected, Chicago is getting bodies back and looks to be making a push.

Have to say that an unprotected 2023, if that were offered, could be enticing. The balance to weigh is would player X be of more value than what we have in Devin.

Mo seems like a super nice guy but soft and with a questionable motor. Not what we're looking for in players.

Well Devin is our best two-way player, which means he's our best player, and on a rookie contract.

Orlando isn't giving up it's own pick. Chicago's may not be in the lotto if they get into the playin. If they don't it's a late lotto pick. Bamba despite being a high lotto pick is a backup C whose numbers are worse than our current backup Collins and Collins is a lot tougher than Bamba. So that leaves Suggs. And the other two aren't enough for Devin who is important to our core going forward. No one is untouchable, but he's probably as up there as we have. So why do we give up the best player in the deal for parts that aren't the sum of him?
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#124 » by G R E Y » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:30 pm

patryk7754 wrote:Bulls fan here. I would love if the bulls traded for Tre Jones. whats his value? Would something like Coby white and two seconds get it done or is that wishful thinking?

Hi patryk, Tre's an interesting case. He's having a career year with highs across the board and reached milestones that puts him in a higher financial floor on an extension. He is our most dependable, experienced player who can run point best, but he's also not a long-term starter solution at the 1.

How is Coby's defense? And why would you be willing to trade a RFA PG for RFA PG? Is it to run the team better?

Have to say I don't hate your offer though Tre's valued in the organization for his character and being a super team mate.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#125 » by cedric76 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:15 pm

G R E Y wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:My sense is no given that we want two firsts for Jakob alone.

Well Devin is our best two-way player, which means he's our best player, and on a rookie contract.

Orlando isn't giving up it's own pick. Chicago's may not be in the lotto if they get into the playin. If they don't it's a late lotto pick. Bamba despite being a high lotto pick is a backup C whose numbers are worse than our current backup Collins and Collins is a lot tougher than Bamba. So that leaves Suggs. And the other two aren't enough for Devin who is important to our core going forward. No one is untouchable, but he's probably as up there as we have. So why do we give up the best player in the deal for parts that aren't the sum of him?

This would be a Draft day trade so SA would know where ORL and Chi picks are at

As a Magic fan I would trade a non Top 4 pick for Vassell

So let's say we pick 4th, I d do 4th pick for Vassell str8 up
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#126 » by G R E Y » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:32 pm

cedric76 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

This would be a Draft day trade so SA would know where ORL and Chi picks are at

As a Magic fan I would trade a non Top 4 pick for Vassell

So let's say we pick 4th, I d do 4th pick for Vassell str8 up

Right now Orlando is 5th. But even if 4th, it would depend on who is available and whether that player is someone we project with a higher ceiling than Devin. And if we do, why wouldn't the Magic? And should we get elite top tier talent ourselves, best not waste any of their years by trading away someone we've nurtured, who can help the rookie on and off the court, whose game fits well alongside theirs.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,120

Post#127 » by patryk7754 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 3:07 am

G R E Y wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:Bulls fan here. I would love if the bulls traded for Tre Jones. whats his value? Would something like Coby white and two seconds get it done or is that wishful thinking?

Hi patryk, Tre's an interesting case. He's having a career year with highs across the board and reached milestones that puts him in a higher financial floor on an extension. He is our most dependable, experienced player who can run point best, but he's also not a long-term starter solution at the 1.

How is Coby's defense? And why would you be willing to trade a RFA PG for RFA PG? Is it to run the team better?

Have to say I don't hate your offer though Tre's valued in the organization for his character and being a super team mate.

Whites defense isn’t great but he plays with good effort especially this season. But he’s probably an average defender on a good day. The bulls need a floor general who can run an offense and with Lonzo out, we don’t have that. White just doesn’t fill the role we need right now at PG
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#128 » by G R E Y » Wed Feb 1, 2023 4:41 am

patryk7754 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:

Whites defense isn’t great but he plays with good effort especially this season. But he’s probably an average defender on a good day. The bulls need a floor general who can run an offense and with Lonzo out, we don’t have that. White just doesn’t fill the role we need right now at PG

Tre will be able to stabilize this need for you even if he's not as flashy as I've seen Coby be. Tre is a pure PG, looking to facilitate and being able to do so well in various means like P&R, pocket passes, dishes inside, drive and kick, horn, and is better at finding his own shot through use of screens, floaters, and using the rim to protect the ball as well as good glass angles.

Although he is smart and hustles on D, he is often switched on because he's short. On a team with good defenders, that may get hidden better.

In the short term, I think Tre really helps your team. If I were to put a Bulls fan hat on, I'd start looking for a possible long-term PG solution because if Ball's issue is bone on bone it's bad to worse. Even if it isn't, a PG with knee issues will always be a concern.

Tre's role is ultimately a quality back up where there's hardly a drop off when filling in for a starter. I think he'd flourish in Chicago because he's so good at getting the ball into right spots at the right time, especially to expert scorers.

Tre would be part of a solution, as he is for us now. I don't know if Coby would be part of ours, but if we are not paying Tre then those picks are good value.

My sense is we are fine with paying Tre even with the higher contract floor incentives he's reached and if we want the picks we have other options of getting some.

The only way I see us trading Tre is either some offer blows us away or we get word that he may walk or prefers to play elsewhere in which case it would be prudent to get some value.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#129 » by NYG » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:16 am

How many picks would it take for the Knicks to get Keldon?
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#130 » by G R E Y » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:26 am

NYG wrote:How many picks would it take for the Knicks to get Keldon?

Well it took three and some swaps to trade for Murray...

It would have to do with protections and the chances of their converting high.

But really Keldon is younger and loved by PATFO and considered part if our core group so even though almost nobody is untradable I don't see us parting with him. It would take an offer Knicks would probably not be willing to make.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#131 » by imagump1313 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:09 pm

Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 625

Post#132 » by Fundamentals21 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:31 pm

FIBA world cup is on. Should make for good entertainment.

Top 5 nations by power ranking

Spain
USA
Argentina
Australia
France

I wonder if we can scout any good prospects. Could find a gem like Manu.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#133 » by G R E Y » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:10 am

As I watch other teams play I realize how common some of the things I complain about our team actually are. Missed bunnies. Not boxing out. Stagnant O.

Some are still more particular to us like bad rotations and weaker contests, so definitely things to improve, but more seasoned teams need to work on all of these. They're just doing them less due to reps, balanced rosters, experience.

Hope and patience and practice.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
JeffReal
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#134 » by JeffReal » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:02 pm

G R E Y wrote:As I watch other teams play I realize how common some of the things I complain about our team actually are. Missed bunnies. Not boxing out. Stagnant O.

Some are still more particular to us like bad rotations and weaker contests, so definitely things to improve, but more seasoned teams need to work on all of these. They're just doing them less due to reps, balanced rosters, experience.

Hope and patience and practice.

Excellent points, and very true. A grumpy Spurs fan who looks only at the Spurs can think that no other team has ever had such problems. Haha. But that’s far from true. Even the highest rated teams have notable issues, and always have had.

It ain’t hopeless. Go Spurs Go!
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#135 » by G R E Y » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:07 am

Grizz will waive Lofton Jr., and Suns picked up PG Theo Maledon. Positional/size needs in theory, just not convinced they are specifically the guys to fill it for us. Now that the Dec. 15 deadline for some guys is up, I hope we keep looking for ball dishing shooters and bigger bodies. Mid January is when another group of players will be eligible to be moved.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#136 » by G R E Y » Mon Jan 1, 2024 8:14 pm

Yeah I'd absolutely love it if we could sign Derrick. Keep that cap space open:

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#137 » by G R E Y » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:35 pm

Hmmm...

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Post#138 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:26 pm

What do you guys think about Paul George in FA?

Would be a nice vet piece to add to the team. Get the #1 overall pick and the Spurs could be a contender overnight.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#139 » by G R E Y » Sat Mar 2, 2024 11:48 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:What do you guys think about Paul George in FA?

Would be a nice vet piece to add to the team. Get the #1 overall pick and the Spurs could be a contender overnight.

Hey well his two-way game and experience are big pluses, but his age, contract, and health are big minuses.

He'll be 34 at the start of next season when he has a PO for $48M. And he has not played more than 57 games in the last 5 years.

Tough factors, all the more so considering he wouldn't be growing with us for long.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#140 » by G R E Y » Sun Mar 3, 2024 12:18 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way